Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2015, 01:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpk1978 View Post
Hi nvik16, I am willing to accompany you/other IV members from NJ if there is a plan to meet the congressmen/women
Thank you for the PM. I passed along your information to the people in the NJ chapter.

I would like to use this opportunity to remind folks that calling is just half the battle. You need to followup - repeatedly and persistently to get results.

It helps if you:
  • Remember the staffers name you spoke to so you can ask for them by name the next time you call
  • Ask for someone who deals with Immigration Policy when you call. That way you can skip the receptionist who could easily forget to pass along any message you might be leaving.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2015, 04:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
neversayno is on a distinguished road

I have called into the offices of all the Reps in NC(I come from that area).

So, whats next?

Should the cosponsors increase for it to be brought for a Vote? Or, can Sen. Grassley bring it to a vote anytime?

Old 06-24-2015, 04:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversayno View Post
I have called into the offices of all the Reps in NC(I come from that area).

So, whats next?

Should the cosponsors increase for it to be brought for a Vote? Or, can Sen. Grassley bring it to a vote anytime?
There are several things you could do:
  • Most importantly, follow-up in a few days. The calendar on my phone has a reminder for me to follow up every Monday and Thursday at 1PM. You should set something similar up.
  • Physically visit the district office. If you want to work in a group, we have a large NC chapter. I can forward your information to them if you PM it to me. Last I heard the group was planning to drive around to adjacent districts also.
  • Call the Senators in your state. Ask them to introduce a "companion bill" to HR.213 in the Senate. Take the trouble to educate the immigration staffer about the bill and why we need it
  • Call Reps in other states you might have lived in. If they ask for your an address, use your old one. Calling as a former constituent is legitimate.

The more co-sponsors we have, the quicker we can get this through the House and move onto the Senate. For now the focus is on accumulating co-sponsors.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:32 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vineetr is on a distinguished road
Default Tx

I called offices of Rep Randy Weber TX 14 and Rep Sam Johnson TX3 and Rep Ted Poe TX 2.
Spoke with Harry Kumar who handles immigration policy for Rep Randy Weber, he was very patient and heard me out, also mentioned about IV meeting. He said that Rep Weber will decide by end July about co-sponsoring the bill.
For Rep Johnson's office, I left a message with the reception and also send a mail to his Plano office seeking a meeting during recess. I live in Plano and will follow up for the meeting. The staff in his office told me that Rep Johnson favors legal immigration and that they would pass on my message to him.
Foe Rep Poe's office I could not speak with the concerned person but got his email and have sent him a mail.
I will continue following up with others in TX.
I can join hands with other members in DFW who are following up on this issue!
Cheers!

Old 06-25-2015, 10:34 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

I see 39 cosponosors today :-).

Old 06-25-2015, 10:44 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-10
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sengs is on a distinguished road
Talking 39 and this is not the end

Kudos to IV volunteers who attended the advocacy event, and also to the entire IV community who are relentlessly calling their representative's office, we now have 39 official cosponsors, and many more have pledged. Please keep on calling the offices and put your pressure on them (nicely).

Never underestimate the power of a group of high-skilled immigrants with a common goal!

Old 06-25-2015, 12:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Yes, agree. Thanks to IV for the motivation and encouragement!

Its a nice feeling when you do your part - no matter what the end is

So, a quick question

I know you said the focus is now to add on more cosponsors. How many do we need to get it to a Vote? Are you in touch with any Sen who is the key person to bring this up for a vote?

Again, appreciate the push and you taking charge on this

Old 06-25-2015, 12:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversayno View Post
Yes, agree. Thanks to IV for the motivation and encouragement!

Its a nice feeling when you do your part - no matter what the end is

So, a quick question

I know you said the focus is now to add on more cosponsors. How many do we need to get it to a Vote? Are you in touch with any Sen who is the key person to bring this up for a vote?

Again, appreciate the push and you taking charge on this
What's going on on the back-end is Rep Chaffetz is pushing his leadership for a vote. He will keep turning the temperature up on his demands. The more co-sponsors there are on the bill, the more favorably his demands will be considered.

This is just phase one. Phase two is to ask co-sponsors that we recruited to also ask leadership for a vote - which will turn the temperature up on leadership even higher. The more co-sponsors we have, the higher the chances of getting a vote.

That was the long answer.

The short answer is, we will have enough co-sponsors when HR.213 gets a vote - so we need to keep the pressure on.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rsr_am is on a distinguished road

whenever vote is referred to, is it the subcommitte vote or the floor vote?

can it get to floor vote directly, if the bill has a big number of co-sponsors (or otherwise) ?

Old 06-25-2015, 01:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsr_am View Post
whenever vote is referred to, is it the subcommitte vote or the floor vote?

can it get to floor vote directly, if the bill has a big number of co-sponsors (or otherwise) ?
HR.3012 got through by a "suspension of rules" i.e. it bypassed committee and went stright to the floor. We hope to accomplish the same thing this time around with HR.213.

Only House leadership can do this. A large number of co-sponsors demanding a vote will get the job done.

That is why we want co-sponsorship. Each sponsor is like an "owner" of the bill and when the time comes, and we ask them to push for a vote - they will.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Atlanta is on a distinguished road
Default How do I contact IV Atlanta chapter?

I have called GA representatives; will follow up again next week. Is there any plan to visit GA offices? I would like to know the plan of Atlanta IV chapter and join them if possible.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
BABUG is on a distinguished road

Followed up with Robert Dold IL10 and Peter Roskam IL6..But seen no luck so far..Going in circles..Will follow up again ..

Old 06-26-2015, 04:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta View Post
I have called GA representatives; will follow up again next week. Is there any plan to visit GA offices? I would like to know the plan of Atlanta IV chapter and join them if possible.
Please PM your contact info to me. I will get in touch with you this weekend.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABUG View Post
Followed up with Robert Dold IL10 and Peter Roskam IL6..But seen no luck so far..Going in circles..Will follow up again ..
Don't get discouraged. Keep at it. Persistence is the name of the game.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:44 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Atlanta is on a distinguished road

hil3182,

I have sent you PM today.... sorry for the delay.