Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2015, 04:33 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/18/2015
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bom2sfo is infamous around these parts
Default IV presence at PM Modi's reception event at SAP center in San Jose on Sep

Have IV members registered for this event? I think we can have a strong IV presence here and help create some buzz just like what happened at Madison Garden last year.

Currently, registration is only open via organizations who have a code. If IV doesn't have a code, I can provide one for members to register. The deadline to register is Tuesday Aug 25 midnight Pacific
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2015, 10:17 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu View Post
The question is what is the aim of participating in such events? And what do you mean by creating some buzz? What kind of buzz is that?

If someone is a fan of an Indian politician and is interested in Indian politics, its all good. It is an individual decision. If an organization participates it could mean different things and depends on its agenda and what it wants out of it.

My opinion is that such events are a waste of time and money if your aim is to help an organizer get a sell out crowd and money and make profit from an event. That so called buzz does not do any good to an organization.

For our immigration purposes, neither should anyone expect anything from Indian politicians nor should they think they will have any pull to influence the policy of USA on immigration. And even if for a minute you think that Indian politicians will agree to pressure US congress for free for you because someone attended an Indian event and you signed an online petition, to allow best and the brightest Indian citizens leave India to become US citizens, do you really think this is even logical?

You have to ask yourself who we are and what the agenda is. We need to understand that we are trying to ask for fairness within the US system and this system can only be changed by congress and not politicians of another country.
+100. Summed up well.
Political gathering does not bring any good to the goal IV is after.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
aswami has much to be proud of aswami has much to be proud of aswami has much to be proud of aswami has much to be proud of aswami has much to be proud of aswami has much to be proud of aswami has much to be proud of aswami has much to be proud of aswami has much to be proud of

Doesn't the same logic apply to the Independence Day parade participation?

You asked: "The question is what is the aim of participating in such events? And what do you mean by creating some buzz? What kind of buzz is that?"

The answer to your questions is in the IV Post about Independence Day parade: https://www.facebook.com/Immigration...61446253921599

IV admins have a strange contrarian view of few things: On the one hand, any and all participation in social media is useless and a big waste of time and energy. And on the other hand, social media is so influential and powerful that a few hours / days of social media activity can derail the months / years worth of IV efforts.

Similarly, on the one hand, participation in a popular Indian event "creates awareness, helps current and prospective members learn more". On the other hand, participation in another popular Indian event is a "waste of time and money", and the "so called buzz does not do any good to an organization".

Quote:
The question is what is the aim of participating in such events? And what do you mean by creating some buzz? What kind of buzz is that?

If someone is a fan of an Indian politician and is interested in Indian politics, its all good. It is an individual decision. If an organization participates it could mean different things and depends on its agenda and what it wants out of it.

My opinion is that such events are a waste of time and money if your aim is to help an organizer get a sell out crowd and money and make profit from an event. That so called buzz does not do any good to an organization.

For our immigration purposes, neither should anyone expect anything from Indian politicians nor should they think they will have any pull to influence the policy of USA on immigration. And even if for a minute you think that Indian politicians will agree to pressure US congress for free for you because someone attended an Indian event and you signed an online petition, to allow best and the brightest Indian citizens leave India to become US citizens, do you really think this is even logical?

You have to ask yourself who we are and what the agenda is. We need to understand that we are trying to ask for fairness within the US system and this system can only be changed by congress and not politicians of another country.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
atyourservice is on a distinguished road
Smile Perhaps a change in approach?

This is the first administration that has recognized the plight of Indians that work abroad including the US. This is probably the first administration that is looking into simplifying administration for passport issues, PIO and OCI issues and other consular services.

This is a massive help for Indian immigrants in the US.

Would it make sense to participate in this event to thank this administration and highlight areas where immigrants need more help?

Quote:
Actually the problem lies in understanding in a few. Stop seeing everything with a one track mind. Nothing is black and white. There are reasons and we try to explain every now and then and in our calls/discussions with members during phone calls and advocacy days during training. Try to take time off and come to those. Without training even a simple HTML code looks scary.

If someone wants to go listen to the speech and clap, they can go. And even get a selfie taken with an Indian politician.

If you see Independence day march as just a march to celebrate a day, then such thinking is very narrow. It was for a very different reason. It was to show people what IV is and through a booth and contingent marching with slogans have an outreach in the community. We have had a lot of success and now have many people in teams visiting local lawmaker offices in tristate area.

If you can get us a similar or better platform to involve the CA Indian population through this event, all power to you. Please go ahead and get us details and ideas how it can help. We will welcome your volunteer help. In fact we look forward to it now. if you cannot do it, at least make an effort in NM/ AZ where we need volunteer help.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:34 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by atyourservice View Post
This is the first administration that has recognized the plight of Indians that work abroad including the US. This is probably the first administration that is looking into simplifying administration for passport issues, PIO and OCI issues and other consular services.

This is a massive help for Indian immigrants in the US.

Would it make sense to participate in this event to thank this administration and highlight areas where immigrants need more help?
If you feel strongly about the trip of PM of India then perhaps you should go there and represent others. We don't there is anything for us so we will not be going. We will be investing our time and resources somewhere else. But you can go if you wanted.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:51 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
iamvoid is on a distinguished road

Yeah I agree, plus our travelling PM has bigger agenda on this mind.. there is no way I am going to hear from him that, "India will help Indians stuck in GC queue", he might even think that these people should return to India to help build the economy (reverse brain-drain)

Old 09-01-2015, 02:58 PM
Facebook User
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
greenvisa is on a distinguished road
Default Unjust social security

IV is right. Representing the GC backlog before Modi is a bad idea.

But I don't understand why one is ignoring the best negotiation instrument we legal immigrants have. unjust "social security and medicare taxes".

https://in.news.yahoo.com/jaitley-wa...131402057.html

This is one thing that Indian government can put pressure on and US would feel the pinch.
If the same request comes from China too then it would be even stronger. Mind this is $3 billion annually.
This treaty is already signed with 25 countries. Why not India and china?

So who knows this might be the indirect catalyst for all our miseries as US would feel pressure to do something for legal immigrants (Again its a hope).