Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2015, 05:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugalkapadia2 View Post
Because this thread is dedicated for I140EAD discussion. We should stop beating around the bush. Every time we loose hope in one of the immigration action, we jump to the hope of other being implemented. I have not seen any positive action since 1.5 years in EB immigration process.
Wow. Curious as to what you have been doing for 1.5 years.

Contribute | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter

NOT A DAMN LAWYER
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2015, 05:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
jugalkapadia2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hil3182 View Post
Wow. Curious as to what you have been doing for 1.5 years.
Sorry if anybody's feeling are hurt. Just for the information I did visit the congressman in my area if you are trying to ask me that. Anyways point I am trying to make is no matter how much we do or build our hopes high. These immigration process are not going to change in small period of time.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-12
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
haranrk is on a distinguished road

I am tired of reading such comments. Its a hard process, no one is denying that. But we have to keep fighting, don't we? Nothing is going to change if we sit quietly and accept things as it is. I would rather die fighting for the cause rather than silently going through the pain. At the very least I will have the satisfaction that I did all I could in my power to better my situation. That gratification is enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugalkapadia2 View Post
Sorry if anybody's feeling are hurt. Just for the information I did visit the congressman in my area if you are trying to ask me that. Anyways point I am trying to make is no matter how much we do or build our hopes high. These immigration process are not going to change in small period of time.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by haranrk View Post
I am tired of reading such comments. Its a hard process, no one is denying that. But we have to keep fighting, don't we? Nothing is going to change if we sit quietly and accept things as it is. I would rather die fighting for the cause rather than silently going through the pain. At the very least I will have the satisfaction that I did all I could in my power to better my situation. That gratification is enough!
Well said! But make no mistake - we really want to win!

NOT A DAMN LAWYER

Old 11-18-2015, 09:39 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vasu123 is on a distinguished road

Any update on when AC21-i140 portability bill draft comes out for comments?

Old 11-18-2015, 02:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-15
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gccommando is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasu123 View Post
Any update on when AC21-i140 portability bill draft comes out for comments?
should be this week...on or before friday

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vasu123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gccommando View Post
should be this week...on or before friday
how do you know, any source link?

Old 11-18-2015, 03:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Jambo is on a distinguished road
Default Paul Ryan has promised to block

Quote:
Well said! But make no mistake - we really want to win!
hil,

All of us can call our congressmen, ask for cosponsorship, and collect petition signatures, but what good will it do if Paul Ryan has staunchly stated that he will never bring a piece of immigration legislation to vote as long as Obama is president? We might get 200 cosponsors and it still might not matter.

And so, if this bill expires, then the next time a similar bill is introduced, nobody will cosponsor it. We would have expended our political capital. I can only request so many favors to my liberal-minded Caucasian American friends to call their congressman. After a while, they too will grow weary.

I read that HR 3012 was brought to a vote under a "special procedure". Can we not target the person in the current Congress and request him/her to activate this "special procedure" to bring HR 213 to a vote as well?

Old 11-18-2015, 03:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
hil,

All of us can call our congressmen, ask for cosponsorship, and collect petition signatures, but what good will it do if Paul Ryan has staunchly stated that he will never bring a piece of immigration legislation to vote as long as Obama is president? We might get 200 cosponsors and it still might not matter.
HR.213 (with maybe some Durbin-Grassley proposals) is the only bill that is doable in this environment. People are slowly figuring this out.

Quote:
And so, if this bill expires, then the next time a similar bill is introduced, nobody will cosponsor it. We would have expended our political capital. I can only request so many favors to my liberal-minded Caucasian American friends to call their congressman. After a while, they too will grow weary.
It is actually the opposite. Once you get them to co-sponsor the first time, when the bill is re-introduced, getting them to sponsor again is much easier - because the bill has already been vetted by their staff & they know that constituents want it (from the last time it was introduced).

Companies know that SKILLS isn't going anywhere, but they are still jonesing for it to be introduced like a herion addict craving a fix. They want it to be introduced so they can use the bill to educate staffers about their issues and get sponsors which they will need when they try to get the bill passed in 2018 or 2020 or as part of the next CIR.

People need to realize that changing the law is a pain in the ass and gird up for a long fight. That said, we are not bullshitting you when we say this bill can pass in the 114th Congress.

Quote:
I read that HR 3012 was brought to a vote under a "special procedure". Can we not target the person in the current Congress and request him/her to activate this "special procedure" to bring HR 213 to a vote as well?
It was brought up under a provision called "Suspension of the Rules" which requires 2/3rd vote to pass. We think HR.213 will also pass the same way. The only hold-up is all interests groups need to have a "Come to Jesus" moment - when they accept that nothing else can pass.

And don't worry about Paul Ryan, HR.213 doesn't increase or decrease visa numbers. That is why we always call it a "minor technical fix" not an immigration bill.

NOT A DAMN LAWYER

Old 11-18-2015, 04:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
legalexpat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We think HR.213 will also pass the same way. The only hold-up is all interests groups need to have a "Come to Jesus" moment - when they accept that nothing else can pass.
Ah. Is this why you have been so publicly against AILA because behind the scenes they are scuttling your efforts?

Hypothetically, if AILA were to send a letter to Congress with written support for HR.213, would that increase chances of getting HR.213 on the floor?

Also, which other interest groups are an impediment to HR.213 getting passed?

The reason I ask is that my bi-weekly calls to my congressman are going nowhere and I want to do something. Is there anything we can do to umm.. help them find Jesus ?

Old 11-18-2015, 05:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalexpat View Post
Ah. Is this why you have been so publicly against AILA because behind the scenes they are scuttling your efforts?
They are obstructing quite openly - just look at their regulatory submissions. The stuff they do behind the scenes is much more lethal. If there is "Extraordinary hardship" on I-140EAD, it is because of AILA and the Companies.

We bash AILA and companies for many reasons - the main one is ideological. Our interests and theirs are diametrically opposed. They quite literally make money off our hard work and the longer we are in this miserable situation - the less money they loose. Yes loose - people fight much harder to protect things they can loose. AILA and the Companies will loose money if we win - and this is how they are fighting. They are deliberately doing everything they can to minimize our "rights" - as Aman so eloquently put it. As an advocacy group, we have to loudly and openly bash these people or they will go to Congress and say things like "Employees are happy and well treated while they wait 70 years" or "Employees do not oppose SKILLS" - a bill that will double the current backlog every two years (and suck up time in House Judiciary Committee - time that should be spent on HR.213).

Quote:
Hypothetically, if AILA were to send a letter to Congress with written support for HR.213, would that increase chances of getting HR.213 on the floor?
It will help, but it is not a determining factor. AILA ultimately is just an interest group. This realization needs to come from members of Congress - this is why we want people to continue to push for co-sponsorship. Every time you call, someone re-examines the issue and re-evaluates their offices position towards the issue - over time more and more offices will come to the obvious conclusion. The obvious conclusion being that H1-B/CIR/Other bill cannot pass in this environment, HR.213 is the best candidate to pass and they should get on the HR.213 bandwagon so they can claim credit when it passes.

Quote:
Also, which other interest groups are an impediment to HR.213 getting passed?
Everybody else. Do you know of any other group that cares about the backlog?

Quote:
The reason I ask is that my bi-weekly calls to my congressman are going nowhere and I want to do something. Is there anything we can do to umm.. help them find Jesus ?
Keep calling - you should be calling twice weekly. We are also putting up a guide of sorts that details some escalatory measures you can take to help them along in their path to wisdom.

NOT A DAMN LAWYER

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Toadie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
They are obstructing quite openly - just look at their regulatory submissions. The stuff they do behind the scenes is much more lethal. If there is "Extraordinary hardship" on I-140EAD, it is because of AILA and the Companies.

We bash AILA and companies for many reasons - the main one is ideological. Our interests and theirs are diametrically opposed. They quite literally make money off our hard work and the longer we are in this miserable situation - the less money they loose. Yes loose - people fight much harder to protect things they can loose. AILA and the Companies will loose money if we win - and this is how they are fighting. They are deliberately doing everything they can to minimize our "rights" - as Aman so eloquently put it. As an advocacy group, we have to loudly and openly bash these people or they will go to Congress and say things like "Employees are happy and well treated while they wait 70 years" or "Employees do not oppose SKILLS" - a bill that will double the current backlog every two years (and suck up time in House Judiciary Committee - time that should be spent on HR.213).

It will help, but it is not a determining factor. AILA ultimately is just an interest group. This realization needs to come from members of Congress - this is why we want people to continue to push for co-sponsorship. Every time you call, someone re-examines the issue and re-evaluates their offices position towards the issue - over time more and more offices will come to the obvious conclusion. The obvious conclusion being that H1-B/CIR/Other bill cannot pass in this environment, HR.213 is the best candidate to pass and they should get on the HR.213 bandwagon so they can claim credit when it passes.

Keep calling - you should be calling twice weekly. We are also putting up a guide of sorts that details some escalatory measures you can take to help them along in their path to wisdom.
the less money they LOSE. Yes LOSE

Reminds me of a car bumper sticker that read "Spelling is for loosers."

Old 11-18-2015, 05:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadie View Post
the less money they LOSE. Yes LOSE

Reminds me of a car bumper sticker that read "Spelling is for loosers."

Ya you are right, spelling is indeed for losers.

Loose or Lose?

NOT A DAMN LAWYER

Old 11-18-2015, 06:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Toadie is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Ya you are right, spelling is indeed for losers.

Loose or Lose?
So much for the highly skilled .

Old 11-19-2015, 01:30 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Jambo is on a distinguished road
Post Other interested groups

Quote:

I do know other groups who care about the backlog. The Filipinos, Mexicans, and other Chinese who are sponsoring their family members are suffering from huge backlogs. Why doesn't IV contact the Hispanic Caucus and other famous organizations for the Chinese and Filipinos and ask them to officially support it so that their members can call their Congressmen asking for co-sponsorship? Of course, their angle would be a bit different from ours.

Other potential groups: US-India Political Action Committee (About USINPAC). If you look under Legal Immigration, they state that one of their goals is "Ongoing advocacy for expansion of orderly and expedited legal immigration of highly skilled workers, including expansion of the work visa such the H1-B visa program and study visa." Why doesn't IV Leadership reach out to this PAC and educate them on why HR213 is the best option and why the other options such as SKILLS, and I-d only put people born in India into indentured servitude?

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.