Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2015, 02:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-11
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
john_jony is on a distinguished road
Default Looks like this lawyers are fucking stupid

This has come many a times. I checked whether my current lawyer is affiliated or mentioned i n the aila site and thankfully was not. Will follow with my employer and if need be, will get the bad lawyers fired. They have no business to take our money and act against us. From what i read, greg and his kind are the scum of the planet and the very reason why general public dislikes lawyers and distrust law profession in general.
There is no point in talking about these guys except for the fact that this might help us in reinforcing our point of view and not the lawyers. In that context, I would caution Administrator2 to not get too much worked up and getting emotional about lawyers. As I said if you are using them to vent your frustration, reinforce your point of view and stressing your values, by all means go ahead. But by no means, let them get to you or your emotional/mental/physical well being.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-11
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice

Bump.....

In lawyer news.....read in hydrabadi (tooti footi).....

Aman ke baatan sun ke poori bhikari community me chakley lag gaey
Udhar twitter khaa saab logan ke busshat nikal diye re hum logan, una miya to chatri ho gaey ustad
Hum sab logan twitter me milke seedha chittad pe mari baap laatan

Old 11-19-2015, 03:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of

Got this by email, the AILA Report card. Busy day at work, so my analysis is very preliminary, please feel free to dig deeper.

This is AILA's positions on our fixes:
Quote:
Providing stability to employment based immigrants
In November 2014, DHS announced plans to provide better stability to the beneficiaries of approved employment-based immigrant visa petitions who are unable to move forward with an application for permanent residence due to the long visa backlogs.
Recommendation: DHS should move quickly and issue a proposed rule to ensure that approved, long-standing visa petitions remain valid in certain cases where the beneficiary seeks to change jobs or employers, and to provide other relief to workers facing lengthy green card delays
Quote:
Portability for employment-based immigrants
In November 2014, DHS announced plans to clarify the types of job changes that constitute a “same or similar” job, thus allowing such workers to change jobs without jeopardizing their ability to apply for green cards.
Recommendation: DHS should issue guidance or regulations on portability that provides increased flexibility and stability to foreign workers while ensuring a more level playing field for U.S. workers. Such guidance or regulations should not include unnecessarily burdensome procedures or a lengthy application form, and under no circumstances should DHS seek to impose a fee on individuals or employers in making a “same or similar”
determination.
Translation: Let them change jobs more easily - we lost that battle already, but please please no EAD. We need them to pay the lawyer tax every three years - how are we going to feed our children

Contribute | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter

NOT A DAMN LAWYER

Old 11-19-2015, 04:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-11
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice

Any updates from the Conference follow-up call? Did anyone attend?

Old 11-19-2015, 04:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMX17 View Post
I heard that it was nothing substantial. Only questions were from backlogged asking about I140-EAD and only response was "wait for the regulation".

They didn't even know if it was coming through NRPM or Interim Rule with a comment period.

NOT A DAMN LAWYER

Old 11-19-2015, 04:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
FrankUnderwood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMX17 View Post
An American dude mentioned Aman Kapoor's video in the conference. Check out the recording and start listening from 20:00 to the end.

Lots of bashing the companies, USCIS and the lawyers

https://soundcloud.com/user844741555...891amr/s-daNIc

Have fun

-FU

Old 11-19-2015, 04:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
FrankUnderwood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankUnderwood View Post
An American dude mentioned Aman Kapoor's video in the conference. Check out the recording and start listening from 20:00 to the end.

Lots of bashing the companies, USCIS and the lawyers

https://soundcloud.com/user844741555...891amr/s-daNIc

Have fun

-FU
Actually start at 19:40. Brad is your guy

Old 11-19-2015, 04:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Tpathrose is on a distinguished road

i dont think that is an american.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-11
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by hil3182 View Post

Translation: Let them change jobs more easily - we lost that battle already, but please please no EAD. We need them to pay the lawyer tax every three years - how are we going to feed our children

To be fair, this is still better than everything else we saw before from AILA (at least no omission of the elephant ). But again, careful on not shooting their own foot i.e. no mention of the word "work authorization" or "EAD". They want to use the word "other relief" for whatever that means.

I guess they did not read the tweets or the memo leaked by the lawyer who represents AILA on twitter or read his blog on AILA.

I take this as a good sign.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:03 PM
Facebook User
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GC2022 is infamous around these parts GC2022 is infamous around these parts
Default Was IV invited as a panalist prviously ?

Was IV invited as a panalist previously to the CIS ombudsman ?

The person on that call mentions that she invited aman previously as a panelist.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC2022 View Post
Was IV invited as a panalist previously to the CIS ombudsman ?

The person on that call mentions that she invited aman previously as a panelist.
This is before my time, but yes, Aman apparently was. Here is a link to the schedule. If someone could ferret out a link to the video, I would be very interested

From the schedule:
Quote:
1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Simultaneous Panel Discussions – Session I

Panel 1: Challenges in High Skilled Immigration: This panel will review high skilled immigration options (H-1Bs, L-1s, and the path to permanent residency) for employers and individuals. Panelists will discuss legal, policy, and operational challenges, and potential changes to the statutory framework governing temporary and permanent high skilled immigration.
Moderator: Gary Merson, CIS Ombudsman’s Office
Panelists: Kate Augustia, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Aman Kapoor, Immigration Voice Lynden Melmed, Berry, Appleman & Leiden Karla Moran, USCIS
Aman has had a long day, I will touch base with him tomorrow and see if there is anything worthwhile to add.

NOT A DAMN LAWYER

Old 11-19-2015, 08:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Also, need to add that more than a few IV members are upset with me for not making the following points about the AILA report:
  • The AILA report does not discuss unethical behavior by immigration lawyers - like delaying tactics to keep employees bound to the employer
  • The AILA report does not address the issue of abuse of Immigrants while stuck in backlog (or otherwise).

I don't think we will ever see an AILA report that addresses these things.

I am sure there are other things, that viewers should feel free to add to, but I hope my detractors are satisfied now .

NOT A DAMN LAWYER

Old 11-19-2015, 11:03 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute

Some members emailed us complaining that AILA report falls short of their expectation. Rather than responding to each email individually, here is our response.

We find it funny and outrageous (both at the same time) that people are beating down on AILA for a report which has no meaning. Who cares about AILA's report and what they say. Immigrants with sound mind should stop expecting AILA or immigration lawyers to push for policy agenda that is in the best interest of immigrants. AILA is an association of Immigration Lawyers. It will be reasonable to expect that their goal would be to work in the best interest of immigration lawyers (not immigrants). The problem is that immigrants are unable to come out of their shell because many still seem to believe that AILA will push for policy agenda that is in the best interest of immigrants. We don’t think this is AILA’s fault. This is the fault of those “highly skilled” and "genius" immigrants, who are unable to parse this simple fact that AILA means “American Immigration Lawyers Association”. It does not say “American Immigration Lawyers Association for the betterment of immigrants”. It does not imply “American Immigration Lawyers Association for the best interest of immigrants”. It just means that it is an organization of around 14000 immigration lawyers whose purpose is to work in the best interest of it's member i.e. immigration lawyers. Why is it so difficult to understand this? And the only reason that this or any other organization might have any say in any process is because their membership contributes to that organization for representing them. Simple. Is that so difficult to understand?

Just imagine that for a moment if an immigration lawyer starts to expect NumberUSA to represent him. And every time NumberUSA comes out with a policy paper, that immigration lawyer would get upset because the policy paper would not be per the expectation of that immigration lawyer. Is it NumbersUSA’s fault? Or is it the fault of that immigration lawyer for expecting that NumberUSA will all of a sudden start working on something totally different for what that organization stands for?

Likewise, AILA or Greg or Cyrus are not at fault here. People who believe and expect that AILA will do anything for them, those people are at fault. Not only that, we have repeatedly, over a thousand times tried to explain this concept. We have come to the conclusion that those who cannot understand are either mentally incompetent to grasp a reasonable argument, or, they are totally insane to do the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

We don’t care for AILA’s report, never have, and never will. Such silly and nonsense reports have no value, nothing.
There is no need to be angry about some useless report that no one cares for. Instead, if anything, you should be angry about why companies and immigration lawyers lobby against the provisions that will allow you to live a free life. Stop looking at people who are members of AILA as your savior, for they are the once who are responsible for the mess you are in. That is what we believe. Take it or leave it.

Now please stop wasting our time by asking us about some nonsense report from AILA. If you don’t change your ways, you and your families will be stuck in this current state for decades. Please wake up, and stop pandering to the people/groups who don’t want you and your families to live free. If you cannot see and understand this now, you will never understand.

Last edited by Administrator2; 11-19-2015 at 11:10 PM.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
RandomizedPrecision is a jewel in the rough RandomizedPrecision is a jewel in the rough RandomizedPrecision is a jewel in the rough
Default Us vs. Them

I used to think that IV is needlessly picking fights with these other groups (like AILA for e.g.) but I don't see it that way anymore especially after watching the Ombudsman Video and Aman's response in particular.

It is a simple thing in my mind.

An association Group is for the betterment of its members - like the AMA(American Medical Association) is for the Physicians. Similarly AILA is for the Immigration Lawyers. People might dispute that the AMA wants to keep people sick (so that the doctors benefit). However, every single issue they advocate for is to betterment of its members (the Doctors). If others benefit from that - that's a byproduct but not the primary goal. The same applies to AILA - if an issue that benefits immigrants benefits them too - they are your friends; otherwise they aren't.

So they advocate for things like more H1 visas, letting the Employer Control the 140 etc. because it clearly benefits their members. On an issue like I-140 EAD\AP etc. they're clearly not going to benefit - so all this nonsense with the "report" is just good ol lip-service and rhetoric.

It should be obvious to anyone that AILA will never come out publicly opposing I-140 - they just can't because they will be lynched by all the folks who can pick and choose lawfirms for their cases. Any AILA member will lose face and business opportunity and thereby AILA will lose membership. So I take this just some outward facing PR bullshit from AILA - nothing really stops them from back-channeling exactly the opposite message when they talk to the administration or decision makers in the government.

I think it'd be good for the legal immigrant community to coalesce around one umbrella group and for me IV is that one group. That's because I can't think of a single issue that a legal immigrant cares about that IV is against - the alignment is 100%.

You can take offense to the tone from IV Admin (and I don't speak for them) but you can't take offense with their positions and that's what should count at the end of the day.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:13 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute

Words have meaning. When we go to the Hill (Congress) or Administration (DHS) asking for Job MOBILITY, companies and lawyers go there asking for job PORTABILITY

"Job MOBILITY" and "Job PORTABILITY" may sound the same, it may even rhyme, but it ain't the same.

Job Portability means - if you change job, then you port or take your priority date with you, so you can start your green card petition from scratch again with the new employer using the priority date from your GC petition from previous employer. But you will still have to maintain H1 (non-immigrant) status with the new employer and everything. This system is already in place. And AILA document advocates for Portability.

Job Mobility means - if your green card application is pending, you get EAD + AP after I140 so you can change jobs using the EAD. And your ongoing green card petition will continue as is, and you can file for AOS with another employer (which could be different from the original petitioning employer), so you never have to start your GC process all over again from scratch once your I-140 has been approved. So you no longer have to change jobs on H1 visa and will not have to apply for new H1 and new green card every time you change jobs after approval of I-140.

IV has been pushing for Job MOBILITY. That is what AC21 regulation ought to be about. And immigration lawyers and companies are trying to re-brand Job MOBILITY as Job PORTABILITY.

Look at AILA's document again. You CANNOT find the word 'MOBILITY' in that document. It only mentions PORTABILITY - meaning you will be slaves of H1 system for rest of your lives. Hey, if you have to file H1 and Green card over and over again, guess who benefits? IMMIGRATION LAWYERS.

But if immigrants will get EADs and APs (which you can file yourself), it will result in less number of H1 visa filing (for which lawyers charge 2000 to 8000 each) and less green card filings (for which lawyers charge $8000 to $20,000) as you will no longer have to re-apply for H1 and green card over and over again.

EAD+AP for I140 will mean immigration lawyers will get less work and immigration lawyers will make less money. So what does an organization of immigration lawyers do? They quietly push for agenda so that its members (immigration lawyers) get more work by more H1 and GCs re-filings, to ensure that members of their organization (immigration lawyers) make more money even when number of H1s and GCs are not increased by Congress. This is how organizations work to maximum the benefit of their members. Nothing wrong with that. We just want it to be transparent to the people/immigrants who are naive to believe that AILA's purpose is for a better system for immigrants.

Last edited by Administrator2; 11-20-2015 at 12:36 AM.