Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2015, 07:29 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Senator Grassley and Durbin introduced H1B and L1 Visa reform

Senator Grassley and Durbin introduced H1B and L1 Visa reform today (11/10/2015).

Here is the link to the Press Release:
Grassley, Durbin Push for H-1B and L-1 Visa Reforms | Chuck Grassley

Here is the text of this bill:
http://immigrationvoice.org/media/Gr...urbin-2015.pdf

We will provide bill summary as soon as it is available.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2015, 07:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-11
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice

For those of who were not around in HR3012 effort, can someone tell us if this is the same as what the Senator wanted to attach to HR3012? Any other pros/cons to HR213?

Old 11-10-2015, 07:56 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMX17 View Post
For those of who were not around in HR3012 effort, can someone tell us if this is the same as what the Senator wanted to attach to HR3012? Any other pros/cons to HR213?
No, this is not the same. Grassley amendment to HR3012 was probably 1% of this bill

Old 11-10-2015, 10:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
testman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator2 View Post
No, this is not the same. Grassley amendment to HR3012 was probably 1% of this bill

What is your opinion of this bill? Is there any chance of this getting passed?

Old 11-11-2015, 02:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Jambo is on a distinguished road
Default Read through it briefly

Quote:
Originally Posted by testman View Post
What is your opinion of this bill? Is there any chance of this getting passed?
I've read through this bill and at a brief glance, can glean the following points:
1) Wage floors to be established for L-1s
2) More enforcements on what is truly an L-1 specialty worker
3) Ensure that H1B workers are at least paid the median of a Level 4 of the occupational category (there's also something about Level 3, and so I'm confused)
4) No more than 50% of a company's employee population can be H1Bs, as long as they have more than 50 employees

I'm in favor of these regulations - all these cheap H1B bodyshops will come to an end and only the truly skilled immigrants will come here, thereby helping reduce green card backlogs.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rbusgc is a glorious beacon of light rbusgc is a glorious beacon of light rbusgc is a glorious beacon of light rbusgc is a glorious beacon of light rbusgc is a glorious beacon of light
Default From Immigration Girl

Looks like this will end H1/L1 programs as we know it!... Points 11,12,2 etc will practically end this program...

Senator Chuck Grassley, the Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, and Senator Dick Durbin, the Assistant Democratic Leader are introducing a bill that would reform the H-1B visa program, similar to a legislation previously introduced in 2007. The bill would:

1. require H-1B employers to offer wages at a minimum of level 2

2. require an employer to post a position on a newly created internet website for at least 30 days before filing a petition

3. require an employer to confirm that it will not displace a US worker with an H-1B worker

4. require an employer to confirm that it has not advertised that the position is only available to H-1B workers or that H-1B workers will be given preference in the hiring process

5. specify that an employer with more than 50 employees cannot have more than 50% of its workers on H-1B or L-1 visas (and an employer cannot restructure its organization to avoid this limitation)

6. require an employer to submit previous H-1B workers’ W-2 forms

7. strengthen LCA enforcement provisions

8. give preference in the H-1B cap to the following types of petitions in the following order:

H-1B petitions filed on behalf of individuals who have earned a US masters or higher degree in STEM from an accredited institution
H-1B petitions offering level 4 wages
H-1B petitions filed on behalf of individuals who have earned a US masters or higher degree in a non-STEM field from an accredited institution
H-1B petitions filed on behalf of F-1 students with US bachelors degrees in STEM
H-1B petitions filed on behalf of F-1 students with US bachelors degrees in a non-STEM field
H-1B petitions for Schedule A occupations
H-1B petitions filed by employers who are “good corporate citizens” and in compliance with the immigration laws
9. no longer allow experience to count towards meeting a bachelor’s degree

10. require a fee for filing an LCA

11. limit the period of stay to 3 years instead of 6 (unless the H-1B worker has an approved I-140 petition)

12. not allow an H-1B worker to be outsourced to another company unless a waiver has been granted

13. require an employer to share immigration documents with the employee within 21 business days of written request

Stay tuned for more information on this bill!

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-11
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vikastaneja is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbusgc View Post
Looks like this will end H1/L1 programs as we know it!... Points 11,12,2 etc will practically end this program...

Senator Chuck Grassley, the Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, and Senator Dick Durbin, the Assistant Democratic Leader are introducing a bill that would reform the H-1B visa program, similar to a legislation previously introduced in 2007. The bill would:

2. require an employer to post a position on a newly created internet website for at least 30 days before filing a petition

3. require an employer to confirm that it will not displace a US worker with an H-1B worker

4. require an employer to confirm that it has not advertised that the position is only available to H-1B workers or that H-1B workers will be given preference in the hiring process

5. specify that an employer with more than 50 employees cannot have more than 50% of its workers on H-1B or L-1 visas (and an employer cannot restructure its organization to avoid this limitation)

8. give preference in the H-1B cap to the following types of petitions in the following order:

H-1B petitions filed on behalf of individuals who have earned a US masters or higher degree in STEM from an accredited institution
H-1B petitions filed on behalf of individuals who have earned a US masters or higher degree in a non-STEM field from an accredited institution
H-1B petitions filed on behalf of F-1 students with US bachelors degrees in STEM
H-1B petitions filed on behalf of F-1 students with US bachelors degrees in a non-STEM field
H-1B petitions filed by employers who are “good corporate citizens” and in compliance with the immigration laws

11. limit the period of stay to 3 years instead of 6 (unless the H-1B worker has an approved I-140 petition)

12. not allow an H-1B worker to be outsourced to another company unless a waiver has been granted

13. require an employer to share immigration documents with the employee within 21 business days of written request

It seems no-one in this country wants immigrants...

Old 11-11-2015, 04:33 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute

Lawyers and consulting companies will obviously oppose it. But it is actually a very good bill for immigrants. WE must support it.

It will put some brakes on exploitation, displacement of US workers and low wages to foreign employees.

We need to support it.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:35 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikastaneja View Post
It seems no-one in this country wants immigrants...
You are being brainwashed by what lawyers write. This bill is good for immigrants. Don't you want an end to exploitation, low wages etc?

Old 11-11-2015, 05:05 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbusgc View Post

11 - is actually good. It forces companies to file for labor in year-1 instead of waiting till year-5. No employer or employee will take the chances. My first employer strung me along for 4 years before I quit. Every conversation I had at the time was - 'oh we would have filed already if not for '.

A younger version of me may not have liked it - but that would most likely have been my insecurity and not understanding H1b sponsoring employers' modus operand.

12 - is actually h1b employee protection. E.g. if you joined Google, you dont want to be moved to Deloite via re-badging. There is a wave of re-badging happening or going to happen soon.

13 - obviously good.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-11
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spulugur View Post
11 - is actually good. It forces companies to file for labor in year-1 instead of waiting till year-5. No employer or employee will take the chances. My first employer strung me along for 4 years before I quit. Every conversation I had at the time was - 'oh we would have filed already if not for '.

A younger version of me may not have liked it - but that would most likely have been my insecurity and not understanding H1b sponsoring employers' modus operand.

12 - is actually h1b employee protection. E.g. if you joined Google, you dont want to be moved to Deloite via re-badging. There is a wave of re-badging happening or going to happen soon.

13 - obviously good.
I know this is too early to discuss but just playing devil's advocate on item 11:

Since the H-1B cannot be extended beyond 3 years unless I-140 has been filed/approved before that, that would force employers to start GCs sooner. But, would that not make difficult to approve PERM? For instance, from the point of view of a BS graduate, a job posting that requires BS plus 0-2 years of experience is not special and lot of U.S. workers are likely available.

I guess one could make the case that PERM process should be relaxed since H-1B process is being made stringent.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rbusgc is a glorious beacon of light rbusgc is a glorious beacon of light rbusgc is a glorious beacon of light rbusgc is a glorious beacon of light rbusgc is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

13 - obviously good.
#12 means: No more consulting opportunities on H1B.... 90% of H1B resources are on consulting
#2 means: Your hiring is delayed by 1 month .. NO full time opportunity employer would wait 2-3 months (including Recruitment , H1B-LCA, H1B Petiton Filing etc) to hire a resource... employers get 2 weeks notice from resources leaving the position and need to fill it within 3-4 weeks.

These two options will end H1B visa as we know it.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/02/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future

I wish it had some Green Card reform included as well. Overall looks good which will prevent exploitation of H1Bs by the big Indian companies but I think the chance of this passing is very low.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:06 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMX17 View Post
I know this is too early to discuss but just playing devil's advocate on item 11:

Since the H-1B cannot be extended beyond 3 years unless I-140 has been filed/approved before that, that would force employers to start GCs sooner. But, would that not make difficult to approve PERM? For instance, from the point of view of a BS graduate, a job posting that requires BS plus 0-2 years of experience is not special and lot of U.S. workers are likely available.

I guess one could make the case that PERM process should be relaxed since H-1B process is being made stringent.
Good point. Did not think of that.

I dont know why PERM LCA has to be more difficult than H1b LCA - and I think that was gaming the system as well.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-11
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Good point. Did not think of that.

I dont know why PERM LCA has to be more difficult than H1b LCA - and I think that was gaming the system as well.
Yep. When it comes to H-1B filing, it is very easy to prove an entry level foreign worker is needed on LCA. But at the same time, it is very difficult to prove the same worker should get a place in GC line with that same level qualification. How did they do that?