Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 11-16-2015, 11:40 PM
Member
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 40
Jambo is on a distinguished road
Post Why not openly support Grassley Bill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hil3182 View Post

The good news is there are 4 high-skilled immigration bills introduced or expected to be introduced in the 114th Congress - HR.213 is the one with the most support and most likely to move:
  1. Durbin-Grassley: Companies Oppose
  2. SKILLS: Protectionists & IV Opposes
  3. I^2'd act: Protectionists Opposes
  4. HR.213: Companies, Protectionists & IV do not oppose.

By virtue of being introduced Durbin Grassley bill is now a part of the high-skilled immigration conversation. It is now more likely you will see a HR.3012 type situation where the Senate will work on a per-country bill with some Durbin-Grassley provisions in there. We will have to see how the conversation evolves.
hil,

Many in the anti-immigrant camp do not support HR 213, even though it doesn't increase the overall number of green cards one bit because they see us as taking their jobs away from them. Why doesn't IV openly send a Press Release supporting the Grassley Bill because of the strict H-1B provisions? That way we send a clear message that the reason for these long green card backlogs is because companies have found a loophole to bring in cheap H1B commodity developers, lower wages, and hold other highly qualified H1Bs hostage to a long and arduous green card process?

That way perhaps the general American public can see the light and support HR 213.

What's more, perhaps we earn good will from Grassley and he doesn't put a hold on HR 213 (if it ever passes the House), demanding that his H1B provisions be put in.

Frankly, today's indentured H1B laborers are tomorrow's discriminated U.S. citizens. Even if HR 213 passes, becomes law, and I get my green card sooner, I would still be in favor of supporting Grassley's Bill so that the U.S. remains a place for the best of the best, and not commodity labor.

Last edited by hil3182; 11-17-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #17 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2015, 01:13 AM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Nov-12
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2013
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 135
Bhishma is on a distinguished road
Default

Let us leave advocacy and other negotiations to IV. They are neck deep in this game and know it better than most of us.
__________________
Repeat after me: "Immigration lawyers are Pro-Immigration but Anti-Immigrant"
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2015, 10:00 AM
Member
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 40
FrankUnderwood is on a distinguished road
Default Concentrate on your job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
hil,

Many in the anti-immigrant camp do not support HR 213, even though it doesn't increase the overall number of green cards one bit because they see us as taking their jobs away from them. Why doesn't IV openly send a Press Release supporting the Grassley Bill because of the strict H-1B provisions? That way we send a clear message that the reason for these long green card backlogs is because companies have found a loophole to bring in cheap H1B commodity developers, lower wages, and hold other highly qualified H1Bs hostage to a long and arduous green card process?

That way perhaps the general American public can see the light and support HR 213.

What's more, perhaps we earn good will from Grassley and he doesn't put a hold on HR 213 (if it ever passes the House), demanding that his H1B provisions be put in.

Frankly, today's indentured H1B laborers are tomorrow's discriminated U.S. citizens. Even if HR 213 passes, becomes law, and I get my green card sooner, I would still be in favor of supporting Grassley's Bill so that the U.S. remains a place for the best of the best, and not commodity labor.
You'd be better off if you concentrate on your action items of contacting your local representatives to push for H.R. 213.

Let Immigration Voice handle the negotiations and politics at play.

-FU
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #19 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2015, 10:14 AM
Member
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 40
FrankUnderwood is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankUnderwood View Post
You'd be better off if you concentrate on your action items of contacting your local representatives to push for H.R. 213.

Let Immigration Voice handle the negotiations and politics at play.

-FU
Hey Jumbo,

Just saw your earlier post from the other day. Did not know that you had already done a meeting with your congressman. Great going! Apologies if I sounded harsh above.

Take a bow
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #20 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2015, 10:19 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 641
eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
hil,

Many in the anti-immigrant camp do not support HR 213, even though it doesn't increase the overall number of green cards one bit because they see us as taking their jobs away from them. Why doesn't IV openly send a Press Release supporting the Grassley Bill because of the strict H-1B provisions? That way we send a clear message that the reason for these long green card backlogs is because companies have found a loophole to bring in cheap H1B commodity developers, lower wages, and hold other highly qualified H1Bs hostage to a long and arduous green card process?

That way perhaps the general American public can see the light and support HR 213.

What's more, perhaps we earn good will from Grassley and he doesn't put a hold on HR 213 (if it ever passes the House), demanding that his H1B provisions be put in.

Frankly, today's indentured H1B laborers are tomorrow's discriminated U.S. citizens. Even if HR 213 passes, becomes law, and I get my green card sooner, I would still be in favor of supporting Grassley's Bill so that the U.S. remains a place for the best of the best, and not commodity labor.
Let me try to answer based on my knowledge of politics.

It does not matter if we do a press release or not. It will not change outcome. Both sides of the debate have millions on advocacy spending. So if immigrants try and take a side it means nothing. The only place IV matters if when we are asked to present our side of the story and opinion. This is because IV has been working on this for 10 years and they have personal relationship with people in top. These top people otherwise do not even grant appointment time, but because IV has been persistent and good people they know IV well.

Now you said you will support a bill ... etc. The truth is you and supporting or opposing does not mean anything because we do not vote and we do not contribute to politics of the country. We are 'foreigners'. It does not matter when you say we pay taxes. Because we get benefits also for the taxes of the country if we stay here. That is the law of the land.

The only place you and I can make a difference is not by supporting a bill but by supporting IV. Then IV can go to these offices you mentioned and because of their good relations with them on first name basis they will give honest feedback and request for changes or request for support. That is a successful advocacy method given our limitations.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #21 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2015, 10:24 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 641
eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4gc View Post
Thanks IV for organizing the call. I guess we have questions already posted in FB for call q&a. Can you please start with them? I'm particularly interested to know IV strategy if I140-EAD effective date is delayed post rule making process.
I think IV will not just sit back and wait. They will be and should be doing meetings to keep a tab on this regulation until it is finally implemented. If anyone is trying to water down or stop from behind, IV should stay on top of it. If there are any action items we can do, they should inform us just like they did in the past.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion with God nousername Interesting Topics 28 02-03-2009 09:55 PM
WE can postpone the discussion on Lehman's and merrill for tomorrow.... PLease CALL funny News articles and reports 0 09-16-2008 04:49 PM
Live discussion on Washington Post abracadabra IV Agenda and Legislative Updates 15 07-06-2007 02:13 PM
Post I-140 job change IMPORTANT DISCUSSION pcs Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins 9 01-02-2007 08:44 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c)ImmigrationVoice.org