Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2015, 01:21 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Constituent Action: What can you do to help H.R.213 move?

We wanted to thank everyone that dialed in to our call on Sunday. We think we covered a lot of areas in depth, and tried to answer questions to the best of our ability. We look forward to having many more such events in the future. So stay tuned!

One of the key discussions we had was around gathering support for H.R.213, a lot of you asked "What can we do?”.

IV Volunteers have worked very hard since the beginning of the year to add 61 co-sponsors to this bill. Over these months, our volunteers have collected support by working directly with Congressional offices in DC and in their local districts, by sharing stories of families, and creating a petition with actual physical signatures and then hand delivering them to the congressional office. A lot of us have come together to make this happen. And now, you too can get involved. Let’s do this together and take H.R.213 past 100 Co-Sponsors.

Here are the steps to follow:
  • Advocacy guide Very important. Only proceed to the next steps after reviewing this guide.
  • Register as Constituent Please first fill this form to register for this action item. This is important because as you are collecting constituent signatures in your district, there could be others from the same area that might decide to step-up and do their share to collect Signatures. If you register for this Action Item, we will match and connect you with other team members from your Congressional District. So when you go for meeting, you will be able to carry Signatures that everyone in your local area would be able to gather.
  • Find your Representative Locate the Member of Congress from your district and check if your Representative has cosponsored H.R.213. Here is the link to the list of current cosponsors for H.R.213
  • H.R.213 Constituent Letter to your Representative This letter will be useful to explain the reason/cause for which you are seeking support and signatures from your friends, colleagues, neighbors and other constituents. Please write the name of the Member of Congress and take printouts of this letter with you when asking for signatures from Constituents.
  • H.R.213 Constituent Signature Sheet The Signature Sheet will be used to take the signature of the Constituents expressing their support for H.R.213 and urging the Representative of your district to Cosponsor H.R.213
  • H.R.213 Summary Schedule a meeting with the office your Member of Congress from your district. This document will be useful when you go to any meeting regarding H.R.213. Please bring copies of H.R.213 bill summary document and share these with the staffers.

If there are any questions, please post on this thread.

Team IV

Last edited by The Alchemist; 11-20-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:23 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the Facebook post to create more awareness about this action item for Constituents:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/1035826459816911

Old 11-20-2015, 02:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
palciparum is on a distinguished road

How can we get signatures from local non- desi people living in say our sub-divisions, apartment buildings and communities.

Has any one done that?

Old 11-20-2015, 02:59 PM
Facebook User
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
namitxyz is on a distinguished road
Default A few tips from personal experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palciparum View Post
How can we get signatures from local non- desi people living in say our sub-divisions, apartment buildings and communities.

Has any one done that?
Myself and our dear friend sengs drove up to **** state to get physical signatures for a petition which was hand delivered to the concerned representatives/senators yesterday by Aman himself. Let me go over my experience -

1) Indians who are settled in the United States are extremely friendly.
2) Indians who have American citizenship and green cards are much easier to approach as opposed to newbies because they have been through this immigration mess themselves.
3) Physical interaction with human beings is very very important and please try to connect with individuals at that level instead of online requests.

As far as getting the signatures itself is concerned, here are a few tips-

1) Contact the president of Indian associations in your area including temples, Indian Students Association, Movie Theaters, Bars and local community organizers. You will be pleasantly surprised that most of the leaders in these organizations are MORE than willing to help you get signatures.

2) Go to a temple during peak hours and offer the attendees a samosa or sweets and ask them to help you out with the petitions. In most cases, you will do great without bribing folks with samosas or sweets.

3) Most organizers will give you five minutes to make an announcement regarding the cause you are fighting for. Make a good pitch!

4) Take a couple of friends to get the signatures. It is because one plus one is eleven, not two.

5) When people are entering an establishment such as temples, movie theatres, walmart and shopping mall - POLITELY (but assertively) ask them to sign your petition. They will definitely oblige.

6) Do not hesitate asking for signatures from Americans. They are more friendly than you think.

7) Motel owners (and I am generalizing here) are mostly Patels and they are one of the friendliest communities out there. Figure out events where these guys hang out and ATTACK!

Let me know if you have any more questions. This experience was a life altering one for me.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rajarak is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Has any one done that?
Nothing stopping us from getting all support we could.
If you get a "face time" with your non-desi people, you could approach them as you would with a congressman/congresswomen.

try to first make them aware of who you are, what you do, what are the issues we face, what HR213 is about.

after that you can ask them if are willing to show their support by signing.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
VinayJ is just really nice VinayJ is just really nice VinayJ is just really nice VinayJ is just really nice VinayJ is just really nice

Just noted when filling constituent form that for il district 18, it got name Aron shock. But we have a new rep darin lahood. Please update the form.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:48 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Apr-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2012
Compare
The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute The Alchemist has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinayJ View Post
Just noted when filling constituent form that for il district 18, it got name Aron shock. But we have a new rep darin lahood. Please update the form.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

If others find additional errors please do let us know and we will correct the same. That said, you should still go ahead and select the correct district irrespective of the Rep name listed.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
palciparum is on a distinguished road

Thanks. It's very insightful. Will start collecting signatures from Desi community and my non-desi neighbors with coming Thanksgiving Weekend.

Or even use Black Friday for it with so many people waiting in line for stores to open ... I am sure they will hear me out waiting in lines for hours!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:10 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare

Quote:
Thanks. It's very insightful. Will start collecting signatures from Desi community and my non-desi neighbors with coming Thanksgiving Weekend.

Or even use Black Friday for it with so many people waiting in line for stores to open ... I am sure they will hear me out waiting in lines for hours!
Thank You for the real work on the ground. This is frankly what matters in the end. As you mat probably already know that all the rest of the chatter over online forums is not helpful.

Old 11-21-2015, 02:24 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Jambo is on a distinguished road
Post What about Indian CEOs of tech companies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by namitxyz View Post
Myself and our dear friend sengs drove up to **** state to get physical signatures for a petition which was hand delivered to the concerned representatives/senators yesterday by Aman himself. Let me go over my experience -

1) Indians who are settled in the United States are extremely friendly.
2) Indians who have American citizenship and green cards are much easier to approach as opposed to newbies because they have been through this immigration mess themselves.
3) Physical interaction with human beings is very very important and please try to connect with individuals at that level instead of online requests.

As far as getting the signatures itself is concerned, here are a few tips-

1) Contact the president of Indian associations in your area including temples, Indian Students Association, Movie Theaters, Bars and local community organizers. You will be pleasantly surprised that most of the leaders in these organizations are MORE than willing to help you get signatures.

2) Go to a temple during peak hours and offer the attendees a samosa or sweets and ask them to help you out with the petitions. In most cases, you will do great without bribing folks with samosas or sweets.

3) Most organizers will give you five minutes to make an announcement regarding the cause you are fighting for. Make a good pitch!

4) Take a couple of friends to get the signatures. It is because one plus one is eleven, not two.

5) When people are entering an establishment such as temples, movie theatres, walmart and shopping mall - POLITELY (but assertively) ask them to sign your petition. They will definitely oblige.

6) Do not hesitate asking for signatures from Americans. They are more friendly than you think.

7) Motel owners (and I am generalizing here) are mostly Patels and they are one of the friendliest communities out there. Figure out events where these guys hang out and ATTACK!

Let me know if you have any more questions. This experience was a life altering one for me.
I realize I'm an edge case, so could really do with some advice. I was born in India but left when I was a few months old. There's hardly anything Indian about me except the food that I eat, and the fact that I believe in karma. I speak with an American accent, and most of my friends are white. However, I am a bit scared to approach even the most liberal of them because although on the exterior, they may be friendly and politically correct, I am paranoid that once they know about HR 213, they may just call their Congressman and oppose the Bill.

I know a lot of Americans of Indian origin who are CEOs of mid-size tech companies, but my fear again is that the old school Indian slave mentality might pop up. Many of them I'm sure have indentured H1Bs in their companies and might want to actively oppose this Bill. They could appear friendly and helpful at first, but might just call their Congressman to oppose this Bill.

How about this additional idea: we could all get Premium LinkedIn subscriptions, and contact people with Indian and Chinese-sounding names to ask for their help. I'm sure this would help yield people who are on H1B who are not even aware that such a Bill exists.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-12
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2013
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Bhishma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
How about this additional idea: we could all get Premium LinkedIn subscriptions, and contact people with Indian and Chinese-sounding names to ask for their help.
We heard it many times from IV leadership that they would rather spend time on advocacy than spending time on this forum. I encourage you to donate that money to IV instead of spending it on premium subscriptions. This will ensure that your $$ are spent on the right cause.

I see that you are passionate about contributing to HR 213 efforts. I suggest you join your state chapter or IV's national chapter and educate folks on HR 213. As Namit mentioned in his previous posts, you can visit all the places IV members have been to educate and gather support for HR 213

Old 11-23-2015, 03:48 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
mambo_jambo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There's hardly anything Indian about me except the food that I eat
Good to know that there is nothing indian about you.

Quote:
I know a lot of Americans of Indian origin who are CEOs of mid-size tech companies, but my fear again is that the old school Indian slave mentality might pop up. Many of them I'm sure have indentured H1Bs in their companies and might want to actively oppose this Bill.
Now stop this nonsense and stop insulting us. Get lost with your evil agenda.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:46 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-12
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2013
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambo_jambo View Post
Good to know that there is nothing indian about you.
Now stop this nonsense and stop insulting us. Get lost with your evil agenda.
I wanted to say the same words, but I didnt want to offend the evil, proditiophobic cry baby. You know, I am a nice guy

Old 11-23-2015, 12:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of

Good morning or afternoon depending on where you are.

There is an opportunity on twitter to spread awareness of our plight. More details here (#MyH1Bstory: Important Twitter Opportunity).

Contribute | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter

NOT A DAMN LAWYER

Old 11-23-2015, 01:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-12
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2013
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by hil3182 View Post
Good morning or afternoon depending on where you are.

There is an opportunity on twitter to spread awareness of our plight. More details here (#MyH1Bstory: Important Twitter Opportunity).
Thanks Hil, I will do it and make sure all my folks also do it