Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2016, 01:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-11
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ampz is on a distinguished road
Question How to do a One time contribution?

Dear IV - I would like to do a one time contribution at this time (I will start with a Monthly subscription later on) but the only options that seem to be available at this time via the Contribute link are $600 and $1200. Is there a way you can guide me on how to do a one time contribution via Paypal for any other 3-digit amounts other than $600 or $1200? Thanks.

Total contributions till date - $300
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2016, 01:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bennyd20 is on a distinguished road

Just initiated my contribution - $30 for 12 months.

S-50896447PW400410U

Thank you for all your efforts.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:35 PM
Priority Date
:
May-09
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
jaggu bhai has much to be proud of jaggu bhai has much to be proud of jaggu bhai has much to be proud of jaggu bhai has much to be proud of jaggu bhai has much to be proud of jaggu bhai has much to be proud of jaggu bhai has much to be proud of jaggu bhai has much to be proud of jaggu bhai has much to be proud of
Default Contributed for Common goal

@$30 X 12 months

Transaction ID
6UP492455U996540T

Work together on all fronts

Old 01-12-2016, 01:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
javelin768 is on a distinguished road
Default Signed Up

Done. Signed up for Monthly payments! GO IV!

Funds should be the least of things IV should be worried about and we the community of H1B waiting for GC should make sure of that!

Old 01-12-2016, 02:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
RandomizedPrecision is a jewel in the rough RandomizedPrecision is a jewel in the rough RandomizedPrecision is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracelet80 View Post
Thanks.

So what is outcome of the meeting with WhiteHouse ? Can we expect any change in current text of the rule ?
Please keep in mind that IV is made of people just like you and me - so please do your part alongside, get informed and in the process you will get all the answers you seek.

I don't speak for IV but I was on the sidelines for a while expecting others to pick up the slack for me. The events of last year (Visa Bulletin Fiasco and this I-140 EAD rule derailment) shook me out of my slumber.

Shame on us if IV has to work on shoe-string budgets while the same legal immigrant community funds lawyers with thousands of dollars to pursue ridiculous lawsuits against the same agency that we expect to relieve us from this misery of backlogs.

Please DO NOT hold back - I am quite sure that no one reading this forum is poor enough to not be able to part with some recurring donation per month. We've gotta hit the target and the time is now!

Regards,

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
reeachout is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Contribution for social cause

IV, keep marshaling, we back you!

My first post and contribution for you,

Date of sign up: Jan 12, 2016
Subscription Name: Donation to Support Immigration Voice (User: reeachout)
Subscription Number: S-9EJ29406T63318108
Item Number: 2016_140
Subscription Terms: $30.00 USD for each month, for 12 installments

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
BABUG is on a distinguished road
Default Ampz

Here is what you can do

mail your check payable to 'Immigration Voice' to:

Immigration Voice
1177 Branham Lane #321
San Jose, CA 95118
Please do write your Immigration Voice member ID (username) on the check.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Showri has a spectacular aura about Showri has a spectacular aura about

IV Admin,

Thanks for the initiative. I have added another $30 12 monthly payments to the initial $25 payments. I have quick question if you can answer. Is this the action plan that you announced in your facebook post 'as an outcome of this meeting, we are working on detailed plan' or is it different? Why don't you give little more details about the meeting?

Old 01-12-2016, 04:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
d.kiran is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hil3182 View Post
No it doesn't. Do you know how much money has been thrown by the companies and traditional lobbyists for more H1-B?

They can't even get a bill introduced in this session of Congress. We have a bill and 53 sponsors.
Quote:
Advocacy is a nice word for (unpaid) lobbying - and more.

Like lobbyists, we stalk the "lobby's" of Congress and do meetings (I was doing this on Monday) -- but we are more powerful than lobbyists because we can do district meetings, which lobbyists traditionally don't do. As constituent's we have more influence (and respect) than lobbyists. Everyone knows lobbyists have sold their souls to sell something they don't necessarily believe in - but when we go to DC, people realize that we have taken time off work, paid our own way to come down to DC, they respect that and want to hear what we want to say. If someone from (say) Alaska, Montana, the Dakota's flies down to a lobby day - I guarantee you we will get a meeting with all Congressmen and Senators in the state (not just their offices).

We can't donate money though, since it is illegal - everything else is fair game (and we do it).
I am curious, you have mentioned before how lobbyists do not produce results and how you have better contacts.

Now you mention that removal of per-country could have passed with the right lobbying firm.

Quote:
am convinced, if we had hired the right lobbying firm with the right relationship at a strategic time, this would have been a done deal.
What has changed? I am genuinely curious.

SSBoYXZlIGRvbmF0ZWQgYXMgSSBzdXBwb3J0IElWLCBidXQgan VzdCBjaGVja2luZyB0byBzZWUgaWYgSVYgd2lsbCByZXNvcnQg dG8gQWQgSG9taW5lbSBhcmd1bWVudA

Old 01-12-2016, 05:14 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.kiran View Post
I am curious, you have mentioned before how lobbyists do not produce results and how you have better contacts.

Now you mention that removal of per-country could have passed with the right lobbying firm.

Hiring a lobbyist alone will not fix the problem. in any political debate, the person who tells the best story wins. Lobbyist can help craft the story and open doors for access. But we have to be the once willing to tell our stories and provide human face to the problem.

Just lobbying alone won't work. And the proof is, large companies together would have probably spent over a billion dollars to increase H1 visa numbers, but they have not been able to increase H1B visa.

When Hil said that "lobbyist do not produce result" it was in the context of effectiveness of lobbyist by companies. And it is also true that we have learned a lot in last 10 years and we are pretty effective in terms of getting things moving. Many people don't know this but we talk to the same folks that company lobbyist do. But then of'course, there is more to the process than just making your case. As the process demands, you need to go through the right people too. We did not create this process, that is the way the process is.

In politics, there is no prefect or single right answer to this puzzle. But it is also true that nothing happens by itself (Newton's 1st law of motion). To get things done, we need to try everything. We have hired top lobbying firms, smaller firms, individual lobbyist and we have worked by ourselves and achieved some success to get traction for our fixes. We think that if enough people will work long enough to solve a problem, then ultimately they will find a solution. So timeline in a political process is critical too. It's not that we hire a lobbyist this month and next month there will be a bill passing into law. These things take months, sometimes years. For example, Agriculture lobby is very strong, Agriculture is such an important component in every State. But they have not been able to get Agjobs bill passed for 20 years now. They have made progress in advocating for their issues, but they are far from getting done. All we are saying is, if you don't start to work on your problem today, it will not fix itself. Its your problem, and you have to step up to fix it. You have a choice, you can you can nitpick us to run after greedy immigration lawyers who profit from backlogs. Or, you can stand up to fix the issue that affects you and your family. Because this issue will not get solved by itself (Newton's law of inertia).

Last edited by Administrator2; 01-12-2016 at 05:17 PM.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vikidisi is a jewel in the rough vikidisi is a jewel in the rough vikidisi is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator2 View Post
Hiring a lobbyist alone will not fix the problem. in any political debate, the person who tells the best story wins. Lobbyist can help craft the story and open doors for access. But we have to be the once willing to tell our stories and provide human face to the problem.

Just lobbying alone won't work. And the proof is, large companies together would have probably spent over a billion dollars to increase H1 visa numbers, but they have not been able to increase H1B visa.

When Hil said that "lobbyist do not produce result" it was in the context of effectiveness of lobbyist by companies. And it is also true that we have learned a lot in last 10 years and we are pretty effective in terms of getting things moving. Many people don't know this but we talk to the same folks that company lobbyist do. But then of'course, there is more to the process than just making your case. As the process demands, you need to go through the right people too. We did not create this process, that is the way the process is.

In politics, there is no prefect or single right answer to this puzzle. But it is also true that nothing happens by itself (Newton's 1st law of motion). To get things done, we need to try everything. We have hired top lobbying firms, smaller firms, individual lobbyist and we have worked by ourselves and achieved some success to get traction for our fixes. We think that if enough people will work long enough to solve a problem, then ultimately they will find a solution. So timeline in a political process is critical too. It's not that we hire a lobbyist this month and next month there will be a bill passing into law. These things take months, sometimes years. For example, Agriculture lobby is very strong, Agriculture is such an important component in every State. But they have not been able to get Agjobs bill passed for 20 years now. They have made progress in advocating for their issues, but they are far from getting done. All we are saying is, if you don't start to work on your problem today, it will not fix itself. Its your problem, and you have to step up to fix it. You have a choice, you can you can nitpick us to run after greedy immigration lawyers who profit from backlogs. Or, you can stand up to fix the issue that affects you and your family. Because this issue will not get solved by itself (Newton's law of inertia).

Wonderfully said Admin.

Now watch the "Keyboard Warriors" slice and dice this and harp on the term " 20 years". We will put them up for display in our newly formed "Hall of Fame" (The Keyboard Warriors 'Hall of Fame')

Old 01-12-2016, 05:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of

Quote:
This is the full context of my first quote, I was replying to gccommando:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gccommando View Post
these advocacy groups and the blah blah which goes with it...doesnt work at washington. The old style paid lobbying campaign works, thats how corporations and interest groups get thier work done..If IV goes down that route.. it will have any success..
Quote:
No it doesn't. Do you know how much money has been thrown by the companies and traditional lobbyists for more H1-B?

They can't even get a bill introduced in this session of Congress. We have a bill and 53 sponsors.
and I replied again:

Quote:
Advocacy is a nice word for (unpaid) lobbying - and more.

Like lobbyists, we stalk the "lobby's" of Congress and do meetings (I was doing this on Monday) -- but we are more powerful than lobbyists because we can do district meetings, which lobbyists traditionally don't do. As constituent's we have more influence (and respect) than lobbyists. Everyone knows lobbyists have sold their souls to sell something they don't necessarily believe in - but when we go to DC, people realize that we have taken time off work, paid our own way to come down to DC, they respect that and want to hear what we want to say. If someone from (say) Alaska, Montana, the Dakota's flies down to a lobby day - I guarantee you we will get a meeting with all Congressmen and Senators in the state (not just their offices).

We can't donate money though, since it is illegal - everything else is fair game (and we do it).
I was trying to make two points:
  1. Without a grassroots campaign - raising awareness (if nothing else), an "old style paid lobbying campaign" will not go anywhere - just look at how far the companies have gotten with raising the H1-B cap.
  2. Lobbying and advocacy are essentially the same thing. When you go to your Congressman and ask for something in the district - you tend to be viewed more as an Advocacy group while when you are in DC and you do the same thing, you get viewed more like a lobbyist. The only distinction is money - as advocates (who aren't citizens), there are restrictions on spending money.

Quote:
I said, it would have been done already. I am not saying that it is impossible without lobbyists, it would just be a lot easier if we spent money.

Quote:
To me there were three events - in quick succession, that made it obvious we need a lobbyist - the transportation bill, EB-5 and the I-140 EAD regulation.

We pushed very hard to include HR.213 in the transportation bill and EB-5 but it didn't happen. If we had hired lobbyists with the right access, getting per-country into any one of these was eminently doable. Also, if we had a lobbyist on retainer starting early/mid 2014 to shepherd the I-140 EAD regulation through, we could have preempted the watering down of the regulation.

On average, I spend 20 hours a week on IV stuff (lot more in the recent past) - it has consumed my life at home, my hobbies and time spent with friends. Why would I (or any other volunteer), dedicate this time, effort and sacrifice on what has become a ferocious battle - if we aren't going to fix a critical weakness - namely we are not spending money.

The last point I would like to make is, key volunteers in DC are spending 2-3 days a week (yes working days) doing meetings, pushing the EO, HR.213 and following up on other upcoming bills. This is not sustainable, these people are not rich, not getting paid for their time and have family commitments to keep. We need a professional lobbyist to take over some of that load.

We were hoping to get the EO and HR.213 done without going through the "pain in the ass" of an aggressive fundraising campaign - but it has become obvious to us that there is no other way.

PS: The biggest pain in the ass - to me is people questioning my or my friends honesty. We would rather not be raising money and dealing with the toxic environment the money brings, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Contribute | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter

NOT A DAMN LAWYER

Last edited by hil3182; 01-12-2016 at 05:54 PM.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
RandomizedPrecision is a jewel in the rough RandomizedPrecision is a jewel in the rough RandomizedPrecision is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
This is the full context of my first quote, I was replying to gccommando:

and I replied again:

I was trying to make two points:
  1. Without a grassroots campaign - raising awareness (if nothing else), an "old style paid lobbying campaign" will not go anywhere - just look at how far the companies have gotten with raising the H1-B cap.
  2. Lobbying and advocacy are essentially the same thing. When you go to your Congressman and ask for something in the district - you tend to be viewed more as an Advocacy group while when you are in DC and you do the same thing, you get viewed more like a lobbyist. The only distinction is money - as advocates (who aren't citizens), there are restrictions on spending money.

I said, it would have been done already. I am not saying that it is impossible without lobbyists, it would just be a lot easier if we spent money.

To me there were three events - in quick succession, that made it obvious we need a lobbyist - the transportation bill, EB-5 and the I-140 EAD regulation.

We pushed very hard to include HR.213 in the transportation bill and EB-5 but it didn't happen. If we had hired lobbyists with the right access, getting per-country into any one of these was eminently doable. Also, if we had a lobbyist on retainer starting early/mid 2014 to shepherd the I-140 EAD regulation through, we could have preempted the watering down of the regulation.

On average, I spend 20 hours a week on IV stuff (lot more in the recent past) - it has consumed my life at home, my hobbies and time spent with friends. Why would I (or any other volunteer), dedicate this time, effort and sacrifice on what has become a ferocious battle - if we aren't going to fix a critical weakness - namely we are not spending money.

The last point I would like to make is, key volunteers in DC are spending 2-3 days a week (yes working days) doing meetings, pushing the EO, HR.213 and following up on other upcoming bills. This is not sustainable, these people are not rich, not getting paid for their time and have family commitments to keep. We need a professional lobbyist to take over some of that load.

We were hoping to get the EO and HR.213 done without going through the "pain in the ass" of an aggressive fundraising campaign - but it has become obvious to us that there is no other way.

PS: The biggest pain in the ass - to me is people questioning my or my friends honesty. We would rather not be raising money and dealing with the toxic environment the money brings, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
I don't think there is anything wrong in a volunteer driven organization asking for funds to sustain itself and further its causes. Heck even presidential candidates and congressmen keep asking for funds so that they get elected to higher offices.

What is disappointing is folks following these lilly livered immigration lawyers like Siskind and their ilk blindly. Most legal immigrants are quite good at weighing the pros and cons and figuring out where their interests should align but, for some reason, they let their guard down and trust these morons blindly.

I have been reading their "expert" analysis - every lawyer seems to criticize the I-140 EAD rule. They have to - else they will be lynched by the same people who follow them. So, they definitely CANNOT come out in public supporting it. What they resort instead is to start blunting the message by saying bullshit like..

"The rule is good but could be better"
"We support it but it could be improved"
"It has improved some things, kept some things the same, regressed some other things"

I think all these characterizations are utter rubbish. It is like saying "USCIS you made us bend over and fucked us up but atleast you didn't chop our balls off - so we thank you for that"

I mean, if we don't stand and push for what we REALLY want then we will have generation after generation of unwitting Indians and Chinese stuck in backlogs hemorrhaging their careers and lives perennially.

About time we did everything we could to stop this madness - at the very least let's make our voices heard and it all starts by taking a small step by donating to IV and participating in the process.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vv1979 is a jewel in the rough vv1979 is a jewel in the rough vv1979 is a jewel in the rough

Subscription Number: S-3LT46350HS609574Y
Item Number: 2016_140
Subscription Terms: $30.00 USD for each month, for 12 installments

Old 01-12-2016, 06:42 PM
Priority Date
:
May-11
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2012
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
essell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampz View Post
Dear IV - I would like to do a one time contribution at this time (I will start with a Monthly subscription later on) but the only options that seem to be available at this time via the Contribute link are $600 and $1200. Is there a way you can guide me on how to do a one time contribution via Paypal for any other 3-digit amounts other than $600 or $1200? Thanks.

Total contributions till date - $300
There is a 300 onetime I see ....scroll down/up