Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2016, 02:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Limmig is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thankstooptx View Post
No problem man, I understand, you probably had to deal with such questions several times. It is just that it took me a few days to convince my wife to set up the subscription. I can only imagine how long it would take me to convince my friends and acquaintances, so I was trying to gather more info to be able to communicate better with them.

No hard feelings. Keep up the good work.
As a spouse who just went ahead and set up a recurring donation on her own (albeit a small one), I don't think that this is an issue that requires persuasion. The backlogs affect families and not just the primary H1B holder. I would think people should be aware of how their lives are affected by changes in policy. If not they should read up on it. If you are moving to a new country you should be aware of its history and how its political system works. There is enough information out there, you just have to be interested in the wider context of your lives. I am quite appalled at how little people know about the role interest groups and lobbyists play in the American policy cycle.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-11
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thankstooptx View Post
No problem man, I understand, you probably had to deal with such questions several times. It is just that it took me a few days to convince my wife to set up the subscription. I can only imagine how long it would take me to convince my friends and acquaintances, so I was trying to gather more info to be able to communicate better with them.

No hard feelings. Keep up the good work.
I understand what you are saying (not because of the reference to wife in your post ).

For example, I was also trying to tell people that they should write comments on the regulation saying that they support IV comments with the reference number. The response I got was why would people say they support IV comment that without reading what's in the comment? You see there was no money involved, just 2 minutes of their time and little faith that IV folks will not say something against their interest because we are the same people stuck in backlog.

My observation is people transition like this: Graduate --> OPT Job (happy for 1-2 years) --> H-1B (happy for 4-5 years, probably married too) --> PERM/I-140 after 6 years of graduation for most --> STUCK (unhappy and waiting for PD to become current, look for another job, laid off?)

While most people are unhappy and stuck doing practically nothing and moving on with their lives, some stuck will also: Waste time on forums --> stay there and become experts on spillover calculation and political discussions and debate between one another on whose number/opinion is right --> they love it so much coz it does not cost money and real effort --> pure entertainment

Occasionally, someone will jump out and join something real like IV. Dear reader - Sign up now for a recurring contribution for yourself!

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vikidisi is a jewel in the rough vikidisi is a jewel in the rough vikidisi is a jewel in the rough

I have observed now that this is just who we are. Our community is always happy to spend money but only if you get 'instant gratification', a promise of results, a guarantee. And if results are not guaranteed, we consider it as 'waste of money'. Any guesses on how many people will shell out $1K, $2K, $5K even $20K if someone told them they could get green cards overnight? I am sure all of us will. Because you are getting value for your money, you are getting something back.

Meanwhile some immigration lawyer with twisted intentions and no proven record of doing anything to help high skilled immigrants (except for posting a blog here and there), tweets about a fundraiser, and overnight we pool in 35K. Not one person asked him for receipts, for his audited tax returns or how he even came with the number. Why? Because he promised something in return. He made big claims that his lawsuit will get the visa bulletin reversed. Not only did it didn't do anything, but sealed the fate of any meaningful reversal that would have been possible on humane and moral grounds. Yet, I don't see people questioning him on how the money was spent. But with IV a $30/month subscription, and all of a sudden folks want to behave like the IRS.

People forget we are NOT a forum. 99% of the work happens outside of the forum. In DC, in state chapters. Check our Facebook page and look at past posts. Sitting on a forum and using incriminating language on forum posts is not going to get us any co-sponsors. And when we do this work , it costs money. Everything from organizing advocacy days to printing paper that we deliver to every office, takes money. If someone is looking for a 'hisaab', you are not going to get it. We don't have time. Some of us are spending more time on this cause than our full-time jobs and thousands of dollars on this. Because we are passionate about the cause. Because we know this is right. We spend our energy to make some meaningful reform happen. Like hil said, all our tax returns are available publicly and all our lobbying spend is as well.

The immigration lawyer groups know about our fascination with forums. They want us to stay on the forums and want to drop a nugget here and there and show us how they are going to rescue. In the meanwhile they are the ones that are screwing us. But we just refuse to see it. Not one question to the so called savior that is shitting all over Twitter about how immigration lawyers have come to defend high skilled immigrants, about what has he done apart from submitting a comment and kissing AILAs ass. Not one question about why his bosses at AILA and the 3K+ immigration lawyers submitted comments talking about nothing but the 90 day adjudication regulation.

I concur with hil that it sometimes gets demeaning to ask for money. And it gets tiring to answer questions. We have talked about this over and over, in every public call, Facebook posts and forum posts. When it comes to results, this is political advocacy. Its a marathon, not a sprint. And when you walk the halls of Congress, and knock on doors to talk about rights for high skilled immigrants, there is only one name in town, Immigration Voice. We encourage you to join us in our next advocacy day to see all this for yourself. Most people that join us report that they have had a life changing experience. If your friends and acquaintances need convincing, just ask them to join a state chapter or join an advocacy day.

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tspiv is on a distinguished road

After reading the entire IV comment, I feel if we can somehow get DHS in court, they can be trashed based on their current interpretation of the law. Maybe I'm paranoid here, but, could this be the reason people with the twisted intentions jumped to pick the lawsuit for visa bulletin? so that they can make sure nothing else comes-up during that lawsuit?

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
testman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikidisi View Post
I have observed now that this is just who we are. Our community is always happy to spend money but only if you get 'instant gratification', a promise of results, a guarantee. And if results are not guaranteed, we consider it as 'waste of money'. Any guesses on how many people will shell out $1K, $2K, $5K even $20K if someone told them they could get green cards overnight? I am sure all of us will. Because you are getting value for your money, you are getting something back.

Meanwhile some immigration lawyer with twisted intentions and no proven record of doing anything to help high skilled immigrants (except for posting a blog here and there), tweets about a fundraiser, and overnight we pool in 35K. Not one person asked him for receipts, for his audited tax returns or how he even came with the number. Why? Because he promised something in return. He made big claims that his lawsuit will get the visa bulletin reversed. Not only did it didn't do anything, but sealed the fate of any meaningful reversal that would have been possible on humane and moral grounds. Yet, I don't see people questioning him on how the money was spent. But with IV a $30/month subscription, and all of a sudden folks want to behave like the IRS.

People forget we are NOT a forum. 99% of the work happens outside of the forum. In DC, in state chapters. Check our Facebook page and look at past posts. Sitting on a forum and using incriminating language on forum posts is not going to get us any co-sponsors. And when we do this work , it costs money. Everything from organizing advocacy days to printing paper that we deliver to every office, takes money. If someone is looking for a 'hisaab', you are not going to get it. We don't have time. Some of us are spending more time on this cause than our full-time jobs and thousands of dollars on this. Because we are passionate about the cause. Because we know this is right. We spend our energy to make some meaningful reform happen. Like hil said, all our tax returns are available publicly and all our lobbying spend is as well.

The immigration lawyer groups know about our fascination with forums. They want us to stay on the forums and want to drop a nugget here and there and show us how they are going to rescue. In the meanwhile they are the ones that are screwing us. But we just refuse to see it. Not one question to the so called savior that is shitting all over Twitter about how immigration lawyers have come to defend high skilled immigrants, about what has he done apart from submitting a comment and kissing AILAs ass. Not one question about why his bosses at AILA and the 3K+ immigration lawyers submitted comments talking about nothing but the 90 day adjudication regulation.

I concur with hil that it sometimes gets demeaning to ask for money. And it gets tiring to answer questions. We have talked about this over and over, in every public call, Facebook posts and forum posts. When it comes to results, this is political advocacy. Its a marathon, not a sprint. And when you walk the halls of Congress, and knock on doors to talk about rights for high skilled immigrants, there is only one name in town, Immigration Voice. We encourage you to join us in our next advocacy day to see all this for yourself. Most people that join us report that they have had a life changing experience. If your friends and acquaintances need convincing, just ask them to join a state chapter or join an advocacy day.
Very true! Couldn't have said it better myself.

I wish we were more vigilant.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
shyamps is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Well said!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikidisi View Post

Well said, vikidisi. Its sad that our "high skilled" immigrant community with their "high skilled brains" don't understand the magnitude and scope of the problem they are up against. The reason they are stuck in this backlog is because cartels of immigration lawyers, army of lobbyists, thousands of business interests with unimaginable amount of deep pockets & not to mention the entire twisted media who are paid to write stories are lobbying washington DC everyday, day in and day out to preserve the immigration system as it stands today to favor themselves. There is a reason why things are the way they are. Only when the entire high skilled immigrant community set aside their narrow minded thinking, raise up, understand whats going on and participate actively in lobbying the Federal government to bring change will it be possible for any change to happen. The government is always going to think why should we do anything if immigrants are not asking for anything? Looks like the immigrants are happy and never showing up at washington DC. They don't need any solution to their backlog problem, after all its not an important issue for them, so its not important for us. They will just say that and move on to other issues. But, there is a reason why a grass roots movement like IV is very important to help in bringing out immigrant hardships in a coherent, organized and consolidated way before the Federal Government, so that it gets a glaring attention compared to other Federal issues. The Sooner that the high skilled immigrants understand that & start participating in IV activities, the better for everyone of them.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:42 AM
Facebook User
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GC2022 is infamous around these parts GC2022 is infamous around these parts
Default some of us donot deserve Immigration Voice

I have been on some face book forums lately where i have seen people arguing about Why people shoudnt donate to IV because IV has not delivered. I am offended man. Pained. I donot know who the hell these people are, i dont know if they are just naive or sinister.

I have come to this conclusion - Some of us donot deserve IV. No matter what we do, no matter how much we try - we cannot convince everyone.

But with that said - I still do believe the following.

IV should spend some money on Advertising. I really feel many people in our community have never heard of us. Isnt that crazy ?

Old 03-07-2016, 06:40 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-15
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Greenleaf is on a distinguished road
Default Call on 03/13

Hello IV

Unfortunately, I missed to the call on 3/13. Is there any possibility of getting a recording of the same or pointers?

Thanks much for all the help
GL

Old 03-07-2016, 07:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of
Default Chamber of Commerce

Here are the comments from our dear friends at the U.S. Chamber of commerce. Not a word about I-140 EAD, not even lip service.

Contribute | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter

NOT A DAMN LAWYER

Old 03-07-2016, 07:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
prasadjoglekar is on a distinguished road
Default Chamber of Commerce

Forget lip service; it's pretty clear they're very pleased with what their former employee did.

"Agency continuity with respect to the processing of these (these = H1 cases in GC queue) cases allows our members to approach these employment decisions in the same way
that they currently do, limiting any potential for the new rule to cause workplace disruptions (i.e. people changing jobs)"

No shit.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-11
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice

And the Chamber will "Prevent harmful legislation to the H-1B program from gaining traction in Congress."

https://www.uschamber.com/sites/defa...ties-final.pdf

Everyone, except the backlogged immigrants, love the status quo as the Chamber said in their submission to the "retention" rule.

While Americans are fooled by statistics.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
stuckinline is on a distinguished road

Very sad to see the donation's so low. How are we going to fight the lobbyists if everyone is not paying their fair share?

If we want to work in this system, we need to "play the game", and if we are not playing to win, we are all wasting our time on this forum.

If you reading this and not a contributor, please do your part and donate at donations.immigrationvoice.org.

As they said on the call, hiring a lobbyist is a long term commitment and we will only get the value we pay for.

If you are currently subscribing $30/month, please consider increasing it to $60/month - it is your future you are investing in! I am currently donating $100/month. We need to give IV the tools they need to fight for us.

Our community is one of the richest and most educated in USA, it is shameful that IV has to even ask for money.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:32 PM
Facebook User
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GC2022 is infamous around these parts GC2022 is infamous around these parts
Default Donations

TO be fair, I think most of th donations are coming in towards the end of the month, I think.
Thats when the request for fundraising was sent out in jan and i signed up for a 100 /month SO i think it will hit later in the month.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:00 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
messengerofgod is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC2022 View Post
TO be fair, I think most of th donations are coming in towards the end of the month, I think.
Thats when the request for fundraising was sent out in jan and i signed up for a 100 /month SO i think it will hit later in the month.
If the donations are distributed evenly, every month 1/12th of the donations will come up for renewal and there will be cases where people change/lose credit cards etc.

In that light, if people continue to live in apathy and assume that someone else is going to donate or it will pick up at the end of the month, last month's 12% deficit could easily turn into a 24% deficit this month.

I just want to get this nightmare over, IV has a strategy for this, let us not hold them back because of a lack of funds. If our community cannot raise this money every month - maybe we deserve to stay in backlog.

That is why I think it is important to remind people to pay their share. Even if IV goes a little over their target - is it such a bad thing? If anyone has any doubt's about IV's intentions or capabilities, they should read IV's AC-21 submission and compare it to any one else's.

I completely agree with the below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinline View Post
Very sad to see the donation's so low. How are we going to fight the lobbyists if everyone is not paying their fair share?

If we want to work in this system, we need to "play the game", and if we are not playing to win, we are all wasting our time on this forum.

If you reading this and not a contributor, please do your part and donate at donations.immigrationvoice.org.

As they said on the call, hiring a lobbyist is a long term commitment and we will only get the value we pay for.

If you are currently subscribing $30/month, please consider increasing it to $60/month - it is your future you are investing in! I am currently donating $100/month. We need to give IV the tools they need to fight for us.

Our community is one of the richest and most educated in USA, it is shameful that IV has to even ask for money.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:24 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Aemon.Targ is on a distinguished road

And Congress won't act in our favor if we won't lobby. So for lobbying we need money, by looking at the IV donation jar it clearly shows how much these backlogged immigrants are willing to spend few dollars for everyone's cause. With this attitude you will achieve nothing.

Just take a look at other anti-immigration organization's donations and compare it with IV's, you will get the clear picture.