Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2016, 09:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
kaca is on a distinguished road
Default Comprehensive Immigration Reform

I would like to know if passing Comprehensive Immigration Reform solves all our problems.

It looks like Donald Trump will be the republican candidate.

In the Democratic party both Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders have said they will start to push the Comprehensive Immigration Reform in the first 100 days.

Does it give us any hope that it will solve the legal Immigration issues while their main focus is illegal Immigration.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2016, 09:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

HR 2131(not HR 213) was originally part of the CIR.

H.R. 2131, the SKILLS Visa Act:
Increase in employment-based immigrant visas: Raises the employment-based immigrant visa cap from 140,000 to 235,000 per year. Eliminates country-specific limits on employment-based visas, addressing severe backlogs for immigrants from certain countries. Specific allocations are made for graduates with advanced degrees in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) fields.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:01 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bpk is infamous around these parts
Red face

Immigration Reform or some major change is the only option.

Options like:
1. Recapturing the lost Green Card numbers
2. Considering the count of only the primary applicant (and not the members of the family) while handing out green cards
3. Increasing green card limits
4. Exempting Ph.Ds and STEM graduates from green card count
5. Removing country wise limitations

We will only benefit from the above options. In my opinion (others might disagree), no I-140 EAD rule is going to change anything when it comes to backlog. We will still be stuck, at the same level, they will keep introducing the "Special circumstances" clauses. I think we are wasting time by lobbying/commenting/fighting for I-140 EADs, I think we should focus our efforts on the above options.

By my calculations (lol, I could be wrong), if you apply in EB-2 today, you will get your green card only after 12 years. EB-3 is close to 25 years.

Thank you for starting this conversation, hopefully others will notice and join too. Stop wasting time with issues that don't help the real cause, like I-140 EADs etc. I know it would be a slight relief, but not a true victory. We should focus on the real stuff like eliminating backlog.

If we don't fight for it, then they won't do anything. They don't care about your and my struggle, these backlogs have always been there. For some categories, backlog have been more that 20 years long, and they have just kept dragging it. Will continue to drag it until we do something.

Well Democrats will take up immigration reform only because they benefit from Latino votes, they are not going to fight for us. I will not be surprised, if they just give amnesty to all illegals and do nothing for the legals.

And, don't even get me started on Trump. If he wins, he is going to stop green cards for a few years. LOL. I think we should pack our bags and head back to where we came from, if he is the President.

Hoping for awareness and Hoping for the Best... Good Luck!

Old 03-11-2016, 12:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default don't hold your breath

Obama was supposed to tackle immigration immediately after taking office, now it is the end of his term, his second term.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute

Please note that I am not taking sides of anyone, nor advocating anything.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by njboy View Post
Don't worry. Even if your endorse in this forum, the candidate is not going to get any majority.. LOL.. Just kidding..

Old 03-11-2016, 03:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dipdowndust has a reputation beyond repute dipdowndust has a reputation beyond repute dipdowndust has a reputation beyond repute dipdowndust has a reputation beyond repute dipdowndust has a reputation beyond repute dipdowndust has a reputation beyond repute dipdowndust has a reputation beyond repute dipdowndust has a reputation beyond repute dipdowndust has a reputation beyond repute dipdowndust has a reputation beyond repute dipdowndust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by njboy View Post
None of the candidates democrat and republican will or can do anything about immigration as there is a major deadlock and we legal, tax paying, without any rights even after paying taxes, are held hostage. People who have filed EB3 in 2004 are still waiting and future generation will take couple of decades to get greencard, and after 7-8 yrs of experience they will start porting which will delay EB2 as well. Anybody who applies in EB2 right now, will take more then a decade, may be two decades to get greencard. I think this is the time to focus on motherland and stop flocking in USA. USA shutting door for legal immigrants is blessing in disguise for India as more educated people can stay back and help India and themselves prosper.

For now, EAD is the new GC.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bestoption is on a distinguished road
Default Stick with IV

As native Indians, we are all proud of living and working in India - which has its own problems, advantages and disadvantages. But keep in Mind that IV and its grassroots efforts have brought in positive changes already. For the ones, who are willing to fight the challenges that come with Immigration to US, stick with IV and be optimistic.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

At first it seemed like Obamacare would not get passed. Obama spent all his time and energy in 2009 to get it passed. This happened immediately after the 2008 economic crisis. They were able to get it passed however controversial it might have been.

He should have logically taken up Immigration as the next thing. But people were to angry and because of whatever political compulsions he did not do it.
Consider this about 4.5 million latinos are registering for Citizenship this year to stop Trump(Reference: Latinos line up to get naturalized and stop Donald Trump - CNNPolitics.com)

This time whoever is the president cannot afford to ignore fixing the broken immigration system.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
moon_walker333 is on a distinguished road

If I recall correctly, during last Sunday's call Aman had mentioned that a new bill will be introduced in couple of days/few days which will also address few of the immigration issues being faced by us. Anyone know anything about that? IV Leads, do you want to share anything?

Also, I am noticing that in list of Latest Posts the Date & Time is not showing correctly or is it just me? Could the DST change have caused it?

Old 03-14-2016, 06:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vikidisi is a jewel in the rough vikidisi is a jewel in the rough vikidisi is a jewel in the rough

No updates to announce on that bill. As always, we will post an update whenever we are able to. This will be a good bill.

There has been some issue with the forum, not sure what caused it but will try to fix it when possible.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:29 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bpk is infamous around these parts
Exclamation

What is the point in introducing the bill now. the session is about to end in a few months. And the speaker of the house will not let anything come to the floor, which is even remotely related to Immigration.

That bill is a waste of time, money and effort. And it is again to fool us, will not solve any purpose.

If there were anything that were to happen in Immigration, will happen only next year!

Old 03-15-2016, 05:07 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sg27 is a splendid one to behold sg27 is a splendid one to behold sg27 is a splendid one to behold sg27 is a splendid one to behold sg27 is a splendid one to behold sg27 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpk View Post
What is the point in introducing the bill now. the session is about to end in a few months. And the speaker of the house will not let anything come to the floor, which is even remotely related to Immigration.

That bill is a waste of time, money and effort. And it is again to fool us, will not solve any purpose.

If there were anything that were to happen in Immigration, will happen only next year!
I concur. Also, it does not seems to be a possibility even after the general elections because apparently GOP has huge majority in house and they will most probably retain that majority creating a similar grid lock as it has been for the last 6 years. So as a result, bills will be killed as soon these are introduced.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

The entire Congress goes for reelection. I think 1/3rd of the Senate goes for reelection.

A total of 469 seats in the U.S. Congress (34 Senate seats and all 435 House seats) are up for election on November 8, 2016.

That opens a lot of possibilities.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sg27 is a splendid one to behold sg27 is a splendid one to behold sg27 is a splendid one to behold sg27 is a splendid one to behold sg27 is a splendid one to behold sg27 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaca View Post
The entire Congress goes for reelection. I think 1/3rd of the Senate goes for reelection.

A total of 469 seats in the U.S. Congress (34 Senate seats and all 435 House seats) are up for election on November 8, 2016.

That opens a lot of possibilities.
Kaca - you are right that whole senate goes up for election but if you follow political pundits and analysts closely you'll know that chances of democrats gaining majority in house are second to none. Nearly 34 (if memory serves right) republican seats in the house will need to be won by democrats for them to get majority.

Senate on the other hand is a close call with couple (I think 4-6) seats that can cause majority to flip over to democrats.

Only with a miracle we can see Democrats in both houses. And with many republicans flip flopping over last several years, no one can predict how they are going to behave.

That being said - I am not saying nothing will happen or everything will happen but the political scene looks grim overall. Only right lobbying efforts with congress (which IV is now trying to do) can be somewhat helpful.