Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2016, 04:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Rocket001 is on a distinguished road

My Rep is Ander Crenshaw.
He represents Florida’s Fourth Congressional District in the U.S. House of Representatives.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2016, 04:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-14
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
thankstooptx is on a distinguished road

Admins/Senior Members, Is there any way to contact representative outside our district? The rep in my district is already a co-sponsor. I would like to reach out to Debbie Dingell
Democrat Michigan District 12. Any Ideas??

Old 07-27-2016, 05:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket001 View Post
My Rep is Ander Crenshaw.
He represents Florida’s Fourth Congressional District in the U.S. House of Representatives.
Notes:
1. You are asking the Congressman for his Leadership. Always remember that. He is the leader, you the follower. So always be humble. Also, don't ask him for "support" - that is the wrong terminology to use.
2. Attach the HR.213 summary sheet to the email. There is a link to the summary sheet in the guide at bit.ly/iv-advocacy-guide

Dear xxxx,

Thank you for considering our request to meet with the Congressman.

We would like to meet the Congressman to ask for his co-sponsorship of HR.213 - The Fairness for Highly Skilled Immigrants Bill. The bill has already been co-sponsored by a diverse array of Republicans like Cathy McMorris Rodgers, Jason Chaffetz and Raul Labrador [Note for Democratic offices, do not use Republican's as flagship co-sponsors, instead say "The bill has already been co-sponsored by leaders on immigration like Zoe Lofgren and Luis Gutiérrez"].

The bill addresses a key issue facing both US workers and Guest workers in the US, and it does so without increasing immigration into the United States by a single Visa. Currently, over a million legal high-skilled immigrants already in the United States are facing decade long waits before we can become permanent Residents. During this wait for our Green Cards, we face numerous issues such as being unable to change jobs without risking our immigration status. Additionally, during these waits, employers have a lot of leverage over us because if they fire us, we have to uproot our families and leave the country.

This affects US workers, because bad employers have come to know about these issues we face and have come to prefer hiring candidates from backlogged countries over US Citizens - because they know that we will work for less and longer than a comparable US Citizen.

The root cause of this issue is the per-country cap on employment based Green-Cards. Our country of birth isn't a factor when applying for the work visa's that lead to Employment based green cards (like J visa's for Doctors and H or L visa's for highly skilled professionals), but when it comes time to transition from the same work visa's to get an Employment based Green Card, the law requires us to wait 50-70 years for our Green Cards - solely for being born in the wrong country. This bill we are asking the Congressmen to co-sponsor, is a minor technical fix that essentially eliminates the subtle disconnect between requirements behind employment visa's and employment based Green Cards by removing the per-country cap on Employment Based Green Cards.

The net effect of this bill will be that people like me will be able to transition to Green Cards in 3-5 years instead of the current 50-70 years. The reduction in the wait times will dramatically reduce the potential for employer abuse of immigrant workers and the consequential discrimination against American's in the job market.

Over the years, Congress has made several attempts to fix this issue, the last one being an identical bill - HR.3012 in the 112th Congress which passed the House 389-15 (including the Congressman's vote) - before getting stuck in the Senate. We believe with the Congressman's leadership, getting this bill done is possible in this session of Congress.

I have attached details of the current bill (HR.213) to this email. I hope we get an opportunity to present the issue to the Congressman to ask him for his leadership and co-sponsorship in resolving this issue.

Best,
Your Name
Immigration Voice - FL Chapter.
Your Phone Number
Your Email address

Contribute | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter

NOT A DAMN LAWYER

Last edited by hil3182; 07-27-2016 at 05:11 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
stuckinline is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thankstooptx View Post
Admins/Senior Members, Is there any way to contact representative outside our district? The rep in my district is already a co-sponsor. I would like to reach out to Debbie Dingell
Democrat Michigan District 12. Any Ideas??
Try to find someone in the District. You could always look up apartment buildings and have an address from over there ready and memorized.

I have done 2 or 3 meetings this year and In my experience, they usually don't ask for anything. If you physically show up for a meeting, they assume you are in the district.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:37 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Rocket001 is on a distinguished road

Thank you Hill for the email draft.
Wednesday I had sent email to the Congressman's meeting scheduler.
Today morning I called her and asked if she has gotten my email.
She confirmed she got the email and she also said I am on the list. She said she will reply me as soon as she get Congressman time.
I hope we will get some time soon to meet with the Congressman.
I will keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hil3182 View Post
Notes:
1. You are asking the Congressman for his Leadership. Always remember that. He is the leader, you the follower. So always be humble. Also, don't ask him for "support" - that is the wrong terminology to use.
2. Attach the HR.213 summary sheet to the email. There is a link to the summary sheet in the guide at bit.ly/iv-advocacy-guide

Dear xxxx,

We would like to meet the Congressman to ask for his co-sponsorship of HR.213 - The Fairness for Highly Skilled Immigrants Bill. The bill has already been co-sponsored by a diverse array of Republicans like Cathy McMorris Rodgers, Jason Chaffetz and Raul Labrador [Note for Democratic offices, do not use Republican's as flagship co-sponsors, instead say "The bill has already been co-sponsored by leaders on immigration like Zoe Lofgren and Luis Gutiérrez"].

The bill addresses a key issue facing both US workers and Guest workers in the US, and it does so without increasing immigration into the United States by a single Visa. Currently, over a million legal high-skilled immigrants already in the United States are facing decade long waits before we can become permanent Residents. During this wait for our Green Cards, we face numerous issues such as being unable to change jobs without risking our immigration status. Additionally, during these waits, employers have a lot of leverage over us because if they fire us, we have to uproot our families and leave the country.

This affects US workers, because bad employers have come to know about these issues we face and have come to prefer hiring candidates from backlogged countries over US Citizens - because they know that we will work for less and longer than a comparable US Citizen.

The root cause of this issue is the per-country cap on employment based Green-Cards. Our country of birth isn't a factor when applying for the work visa's that lead to Employment based green cards (like J visa's for Doctors and H or L visa's for highly skilled professionals), but when it comes time to transition from the same work visa's to get an Employment based Green Card, the law requires us to wait 50-70 years for our Green Cards - solely for being born in the wrong country. This bill we are asking the Congressmen to co-sponsor, is a minor technical fix that essentially eliminates the subtle disconnect between requirements behind employment visa's and employment based Green Cards by removing the per-country cap on Employment Based Green Cards.

The net effect of this bill will be that people like me will be able to transition to Green Cards in 3-5 years instead of the current 50-70 years. The reduction in the wait times will dramatically reduce the potential for employer abuse of immigrant workers and the consequential discrimination against American's in the job market.

Over the years, Congress has made several attempts to fix this issue, the last one being an identical bill - HR.3012 in the 112th Congress which passed the House 389-15 (including the Congressman's vote) - before getting stuck in the Senate. We believe with the Congressman's leadership, getting this bill done is possible in this session of Congress.

I have attached details of the current bill (HR.213) to this email. I hope we get an opportunity to present the issue to the Congressman to ask him for his leadership and co-sponsorship in resolving this issue.

Best,
Your Name
Your Phone Number
Your Email address

Old 07-29-2016, 11:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
advik20 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Notes:

Dear xxxx,

Best,
Your Name
Your Phone Number
Your Email address
I have sent this to my Rep Tom Rooney

Have left a message requesting a meeting.

Dumb question how will increasing per cap limit to 15% instead on 7% help us?

Old 07-29-2016, 11:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by advik20 View Post
I have sent this to my Rep Tom Rooney

Have left a message requesting a meeting.

Dumb question how will increasing per cap limit to 15% instead on 7% help us?
Long answer is here. You should read it backwards and forwards if you are going to be advocating for the bill since it might come up.

Short answer is it will halve the time for FB immigrants with the longest backlog (D's like this, so you might want to bring it up in a D meeting).

There is other stuff - like CSPA provisions in the bill that you need to bone up on. It should all be in the summary.

NOT A DAMN LAWYER

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:05 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

One thing I forgot to mention. These long emails I am writing for you guys should only be used when the staffer asks for more detail.

If the form/staffer asks you why you want to meet, try to keep it high level. Something like, "seeking the Rep's leadership and co-sponsorship on a bill that affects many of his constituents". If they reply with "ok, send me the details" - only then send them the long detailed emails.

Don't just blast them with long detailed emails out of no-where. 99% of the time they will go unread.

Many people make the mistake, but in hindsight - when you think about it, the course of action I suggest above makes sense.

NOT A DAMN LAWYER

Old 07-30-2016, 12:08 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Long answer is here. You should read it backwards and forwards if you are going to be advocating for the bill since it might come up.

Short answer is it will halve the time for FB immigrants with the longest backlog (D's like this, so you might want to bring it up in a D meeting).

There is other stuff - like CSPA provisions in the bill that you need to bone up on. It should all be in the summary.
its clear now

however one more quick Q 2015 is over so will it be effective 2016?

Old 07-30-2016, 12:10 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by advik20 View Post
its clear now

however one more quick Q 2015 is over so will it be effective 2016?
Most probably yes (unless they are sloppy and bill goes through with the drafting error).

NOT A DAMN LAWYER

Old 07-30-2016, 12:22 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Most probably yes (unless they are sloppy and bill goes through with the drafting error).
Thanks for taking the LEAD

lets put in everything we have to get this DONE!!

Old 08-01-2016, 02:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

We released excerpts of the July 17th call.

Hope people find it informative and decide to meet with their Rep to get HR.213 done. Instructions on how to do so are here.

NOT A DAMN LAWYER

Last edited by hil3182; 08-01-2016 at 02:40 PM.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:04 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
nid15 is on a distinguished road

Last time when I had called Frank Pauline (D-NJ) office for visa bulletin, the first thing they asked me was if I was affected by the roll back and based on my answer routed me to a different person. Any advice if that comes up again. Obviously I am affected.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:36 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by nid15 View Post
Last time when I had called Frank Pauline (D-NJ) office for visa bulletin, the first thing they asked me was if I was affected by the roll back and based on my answer routed me to a different person. Any advice if that comes up again. Obviously I am affected.
If it comes up - thank him for the interest in the subject and gently tell him you are calling to talk to him about HR.213.

Whenever you talk to these people, you want to ask for one thing and one thing only. If you ask for more than one thing - you will get nothing.

NOT A DAMN LAWYER

Old 08-02-2016, 10:57 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by nid15 View Post
Thought I should add, when you call, say that you are calling about an immigration policy issue - that way you will always be routed correctly.

NOT A DAMN LAWYER