Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2016, 01:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
freedom101 is on a distinguished road
Default Meeting Congressman Rob Woodall (Georgia 7th District)

IV team,
Thanks for all your efforts. I was able to join the July 17th call. What you guys talked makes sense to me. I want to do my part. I am in GA 7th district and I would like to meet the congressman to talk about HR213.

If there is anyone who can join me please let me know.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ccsreddy is on a distinguished road

hi

I am planning to take an appointment with ga distirct 7 rep rob woodall and collecting signatures. Please email me your details i can call you and we can coordinate. (ccsreddy@gmail.com)

Old 07-29-2016, 12:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

The meeting is confirmed on Aug 26th at 11:30 am. we are like 10 members going to meet the congressman and ask his sponsorship for H R 213. In the mean time i am collecting signatures along with eight other members. Mail me if you want to help me to collect signatures.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsreddy View Post
The meeting is confirmed on Aug 26th at 11:30 am. we are like 10 members going to meet the congressman and ask his sponsorship for H R 213. In the mean time i am collecting signatures along with eight other members. Mail me if you want to help me to collect signatures.
Excellent!

Some advice based on my experience. Don't get caught up in technicalities like "Priority dates" and "Visa Bulletin".

Frame everything in terms of the American Worker. Don't make the meeting about "me me me". The ideal flow should be something like:

We face long wait times for our Green Cards and these wait times also hurt American Workers and Honest American Employers that play by the rules. This is because bad employers... Talk about how having to leave the country when losing your job causes your employer to have tremendous leverage over you and causes bad employers to prefer hiring people from backlogged countries over Americans. Talk about how every-time you change jobs, you risk you immigration status - and bad employers also know about this. Also talk about how American companies that play by the rules are at a disadvantage to bad employers that use immigration status as a job retention tool.

And then talk about the solution - lifting per-country caps, talk about how popular and common sense the solution is (passed 385-15 in 112th Congress). In the first sentence where you mention the Bill, also mention prominent R/D co-sponsors (depending on the party of the Rep - Prominent R's are Cathy McMorris Rogers, Jason Chaffetz, Raul Labrador & Prominent D's are Zoe Lofgren and Luis Guitterez).

Close by asking him to co-sponsor HR.213.

Try to avoid me me me - while our problems are important and motivating us to do this, it is easier for your Rep to relate if you base your argument about how this situation affects the entire system - US Workers, Guest workers and employers - because your Rep has to Represent all interests.

Lastly, rehearse your argument a few times by practicing loudly with someone.

If the Rep says there isn't enough time, say that you have been told that given the history of the bill (passing 389-15), if enough political pressure is brought to bear, it will can be easily attached to some appropriations bill or other must-pass bill and quickly done. You have been told that his co-sponsorship will add to the political pressure.

You also have a month between now and August 26th. If you have the bandwidth, you might want to start looking for another Congressman.

Contribute | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter

NOT A DAMN LAWYER

Last edited by hil3182; 07-29-2016 at 01:06 PM.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Thank you hill for the advice and suggestions. Yes when we meet the congressman will try to present the whole picture instead of discussing our own problems. when i requested the appointment for the meeting i didn't use any immigration jargon except telling them that with approved immigrant petition we are still waiting for our green cards from past decade and H R 213 is a non controversial and simple fix for these backlogs.

Will try to motivate some of my colleagues if they could meet their congressman and ask for sponsorship of 213.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:39 PM
Priority Date
:
May-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
cvsravan is infamous around these parts cvsravan is infamous around these parts cvsravan is infamous around these parts

hello, we have a bunch of folks in district 7 in GA which can sign/join the group meeting the congressman, please PM me and we can connect offline

Old 07-31-2016, 10:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
: