Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute
Default $30 Billion (?) paid in Taxes & Still waiting for GC

The purpose of this thread is to come up with an approximate amount of money we have paid in taxes while we have waited for GC. We should use this line in BOLD before we initiate any conversation with anyone in media or government.

Here's a first shot at it. Please provide your input. Let's try to be as accurate as possible.

Average Salary $80,000

Average Federal tax Paid $20,000
Average Social Security Paid $5,000

Number of Tax paying Legal Immigrants waiting for GC 300,000

Average Number of years of wait 4

Total Federal Tax Paid $24,000,000,000

Total Social Security Paid $6,000,000,000
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2007, 11:00 AM
Banned
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Dalai Lama can only hope to improve

Please send this to Lou Dobbs.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of

I would bring the average salary to 60 or 65K......There are lot of H1b's at 45 and 55K salary levels. Also please make average wait as 5-6years, I have been waiting for almost 9 years now after two layoffs, still surviving keeping my head above the water.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute
Default Forget taxes. Human capital alone is $200 billion

There was an article in business week few months ago about how much human capital is contributed by immigrants.

The way to calculate human capital by the author of the article was to sum the total earnings of the individual for the lifetime (extrapolate current wages), and then adjust it for inflation. It comes to around $200 billion per year.

Yes, that's

$200,000,000,000 in human capital.

Each.

Year.

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...05059_0127.htm

Old 02-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclife
There was an article in business week few months ago about how much human capital is contributed by immigrants.

The way to calculate human capital by the author of the article was to sum the total earnings of the individual for the lifetime (extrapolate current wages), and then adjust it for inflation. It comes to around $200 billion per year.

Yes, that's

$200,000,000,000 in human capital.

Each.

Year.

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...05059_0127.htm
Interesting... but these are over a lifetime, which may or may not be spent in US.

I know a lot of very general economic analysis has been done on impact of immigrants, but i am trying to find if more specific data is available for our purpose, as it can be used more tangibily.

Is there a way estimate what would have been the GDP growth rates in 200-2006 if the high- skilled immigrants were not in US?

Had the H1/PR program not been there, who would be the people replacing these 300-500K jobs. What would be their average salaries? How much federal & social tax would they pay? How much would they spend?

Did we generate $XX billion more taxes.
Did we generate $YYY more in Consumer spending
Did we add Z% to GDP growth in 2000-2006

There's more weight in telling Lou Dobbs that he is off by $30 Billion then just saying H1's also pay tax.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
ssdtm is a jewel in the rough ssdtm is a jewel in the rough ssdtm is a jewel in the rough ssdtm is a jewel in the rough
Default Good work to make a case

Guys, this is very good. Statisitcs speak a lot, and with more impact than just statements. So keep working on that.
I will suggest an Excel sheet is preapred with all the data and then present the summary tables. This will evolve as we work on it.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
anandrajesh has a reputation beyond repute anandrajesh has a reputation beyond repute anandrajesh has a reputation beyond repute anandrajesh has a reputation beyond repute anandrajesh has a reputation beyond repute anandrajesh has a reputation beyond repute anandrajesh has a reputation beyond repute anandrajesh has a reputation beyond repute anandrajesh has a reputation beyond repute anandrajesh has a reputation beyond repute anandrajesh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by another one
There's more weight in telling Lou Dobbs that he is off by $30 Billion then just saying H1's also pay tax.
I just dont understand the NEED or OBSESSION to educate Lou Dobbs. Last Checked, Lou Dobbs is neither the President of this country, nor a senator or a House Rep. He is a common man like you and me. He might be a 3rd or 4th generation immigrant and we are First Gen Immigrants.

Dont waste any time trying to educate ppl who refuse to learn nor understand the basic things. It is a waste of ur and his time.
HOPING USCIS either to approve or deny my GC ASAP - EB3 India, PD - 2004 Mar, I-140 - 2006 July
I-485/AP/EAD - RD July 2. ND Aug 15, 2007 NSC
FP - Oct 12, 2007 EAD,AP - 2nd set

Old 02-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
vgayalu is a jewel in the rough vgayalu is a jewel in the rough vgayalu is a jewel in the rough
Default We ( Me and my wife) paid 300K as tax

We ( me and my wife) paid 300K as Tax in the last six and half years and waiting for I 485 filing.

What is this hell.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandrajesh
I just dont understand the NEED or OBSESSION to educate Lou Dobbs. Last Checked, Lou Dobbs is neither the President of this country, nor a senator or a House Rep. He is a common man like you and me. He might be a 3rd or 4th generation immigrant and we are First Gen Immigrants.

Dont waste any time trying to educate ppl who refuse to learn nor understand the basic things. It is a waste of ur and his time.
This has nothing to do with Lou Dobbs. He is just a symbol of misinformed America.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Priority Date
:
May-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/20/2002
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/20/2004
Compare
485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute

Good point ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandrajesh

Old 02-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Guys can someone put a nice clip on Utube ????

I would say somthing like this......

Title : WRONG PRIORITY ????????

AVOID giving any name related to IMMIGRATION as we need more views...

FED / STATE Taxes contribution: $ 20 billion

Soc Security contribution : $ 5 billion + $ 5 Billion employer contribution

Supporting : 400,000 Seniors ( $2000 / month SS benefit)

Business to Airlines : $ 500 million

National recognition for this effort : NIL

Are these people ROBOTS ?? : NO

Are these " illegal immigrants ???? : NO

Who the hell are these MORONS ????? : WE ARE LEGAL IMMIGRANTS ( Doctors, Engineers, Scientists) STUCK BECAUSE OF BOOLEAN MATHEMATICS OF US IMMIGRATION SYSTEM !!!!!!!

Guys, my IT skills end here..... can someone make it attractive & put it on U-Tube ????

Old 02-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GCAmigo is just really nice GCAmigo is just really nice GCAmigo is just really nice GCAmigo is just really nice

Thats exactly the very reason why nobody cares about us.. GC or not we PAY the taxes.. obviously the focus is to bring in the 'others' aka illegals under the tax net..

Old 02-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
Default 2005 Stats

http://www.myvisajobs.com/reports/Oc...occupation.pdf

As per this link, there were 313K H1 petitions filed with an annual salary of $61K in 2005 ALONE.

I guess the perition number included H1 renewals etc, but even if no other H1 was filed ever (which is clearly not the case), assuming $15K federal tax this would amount to

313K*(15K + 5k) = more than $5 Billion tax in one year alone. Guess now we know who's funding the Iraq war (atleast partially!)

Old 02-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/22/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute

This is exactly the kind of thread I wish senators and staff visiting IV would read. Also it would be okay for all those numbersUSA guys to read.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
Default Consumer Spending Statistics

Page 9 http://www.bls.gov/cex/csxann04.pdf

Average spending of an H1 family will probably fall on the fourth quintile.

I am basing all stats on assuming 300K H1s awaiting GC. Assume average of 1.25 H1 in each hosuehold -->240K households. Average Annual expenditure of 50K --->Annual expenditure of $12 Billion per year.

therefore our slogan can be:

In last 5 Years , We have PAID $30 Bllion in taxes, ADDED $60 Billion to Consumer Expenditure.

This Year, we are still not Permanent Residents, and still adding $18 B to the economy.

Next Year, We may be leaving, unless US makes up its mind.