Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2007, 08:31 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 125
invincibleasian can only hope to improve
Default

They have to abolish the H1B programme completely since they can no longer prevent its abuse. They need to have a new process in place in which scrutiny occurs for each application of a foreign worker!
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #17 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2007, 09:51 AM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 298
eager_immi is on a distinguished road
Default true

that is true and if you actually go a hospital u know that the nurses are really needed. maybe we should get a direct GC too

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_guy123
H1B was misused and abused so much by the industry that the local
population has become hostile to the whole concept of foreign engineers/IT workers. Companies like Infosys, TCS hire 100% IT staff from India etc.
(saying that no US citizen/GC available...thats like lying in broad daylight)

Nurses came on Green cards and were free to change jobs etc. so
they affected the local job market to a far lesser degree so the opposition
is less.
__________________
Contributed $500 so far
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #18 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2007, 11:01 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,423
Blog Entries: 6
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Here is an update on Visa recapture from Aman:
"I know some people ask for achievements of Immigration Voice and comment, sometimes ridicule, that Immigration Voice has not been able to get even one provision in last one year. There are many other organizations working on behalf of various groups. If no immigration provision has passed in more than last one year, does it mean that all those organizations are also ineffective? We all know that this is a world of instant gratification but please understand that there are groups who go to DC to get their issues addressed and they wait for 2, 3 -5 years before anybody would start listening to their issues. You see, just to explain using an analogy, Microsoft is working to get H-1b numbers increased long before Immigration Voice started. If Microsoft has not been able to get Congress to increase H-1B numbers, does it mean that Microsoft is no longer an effective corporation? Likewise, Immigration Voice has made significant progress but due to the political climate and statistical discussion about the undocumented, which of’course is different but an important issue, our provisions are clubbed in the comprehensive bill. If it would have been any other year when Congress was not considering the issue of undocumented or comprehensive immigration reform, advocacy effort of Immigration Voice would have definitely translated all our provisions into law six months back.

If you want us to get Visa recapture as interim fix, allow me to share with you that as it stands today, it will not happen outside of Comprehensive bill. Infact as it stands right now, even H-1B increase will also not happen outside of comprehensive bill. Reason? Most of the groups and companies have stopped pushing for temporary relief because any kind of temporary relief or interim relief chips away support from CIR and the offices of Senate and House Leadership along with other proponents of CIR have made it clear that any immigration relief has to be a part of CIR and not outside of it. Other companies/coalitions have stopped pushing for temporary H-1B increase as they do not want to be in the bad books of committee chairmen and the leadership offices by trying to sneak temporary relief that divides the supporters of CIR. Leadership wants support for CIR and want all sides to wait for CIR. And not doing so and trying to get interim relief before CIR would put them in bad books of Senate and House leadership, which no one wants coz if CIR fails, then after CIR, these offices will not co-operate with any group that tried to take away support from CIR. So it would be counter-productive politically to do things that take away good stuff from CIR. Also, if you think that any effort in the final week could help in anyway, then let me to share with you that most provisions and their language are decided much in advance and last minute efforts almost never yield any result on the Hill."
more update on what we are doing is here http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/sh...?t=3198&page=3

Last edited by pappu; 02-12-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #19 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 168
tdasara has much to be proud of tdasara has much to be proud of tdasara has much to be proud of tdasara has much to be proud of tdasara has much to be proud of tdasara has much to be proud of tdasara has much to be proud of tdasara has much to be proud of
Default

Does this mean filing I485 without PD current is a non-starter?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #20 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/28/2007
Compare
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 278
purgan is just really nice purgan is just really nice purgan is just really nice purgan is just really nice purgan is just really nice
Default

So no Sch A 90K visa recapture will happen?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #21 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 229
raju123 is on a distinguished road
Default

I know, what you said and I agree as well. It is universal truth that every one has priority. We know the science experimental story:
Monkey mother and her small kid were trap inside the water tank and water is slowly rise. Mother took care of her kid and hold to her belly. Water further rose and she hold her kid to chest. water further rose and she hold kid on her head. Now water come to her nose and she tried to stand on her toe. Still water was rising and finally she threw her kid and stand on her and tried to survive.

Moral of the story:

Compete America is pushing H1B/EB together but when they will have only one to select, they will go for H1B. I don't see any thing wrong on it.

Think that If IV have only one choice between EB provision and H1B. What IV will select?





Quote:
Originally Posted by go_guy123
I know CA promotes both , but issue is whether they do that equally.
I have a feeling h1b is more on agenda.
Just that you belive what they are saying....either way u will see when h1b gets increased without eb reform.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #22 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2007, 03:11 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Compare
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,051
go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincibleasian
They have to abolish the H1B programme completely since they can no longer prevent its abuse. They need to have a new process in place in which scrutiny occurs for each application of a foreign worker!
Actually abolishing the whole H1B thing is theonly way. Actually IV should actively start lobbying against any H1B increase. Then only there is a chance of of corp america supporting any GC reform.

IV should work on highlighting the H1B abuse that is going on, in the media
so that the whole H1B will become so radioactive they will be forced to scale down or reform the H1B.

H1B visa is the main reason for EB problems.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #23 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,300
Blog Entries: 3
anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_guy123
Actually abolishing the whole H1B thing is theonly way. Actually IV should actively start lobbying against any H1B increase. Then only there is a chance of of corp america supporting any GC reform.

IV should work on highlighting the H1B abuse that is going on, in the media
so that the whole H1B will become so radioactive they will be forced to scale down or reform the H1B.

H1B visa is the main reason for EB problems.
Opposing H1B increase may work in theory. In practice, since majority of IV members are on H1B, any argument in this regard will fail.
__________________
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
-- Mohandas "Mahatma" Gandhi (Slogan of the Linux community)
- Supporting Green Peace, Chicago Public Radio, 2020 Vision and other orgs.
- Fight global warming/climate change.
(http://savetheplanet4kids.blogspot.com/)<=

Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #24 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Jun-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2007
Compare
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 342
Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Pappu,
This post does clarify visa recapture issues, but what about concurrent 140/485 filing ? Also, if our fate is still so tied up with 12+ millions illegals, doesn't that mean that we failed to make our case, even with so much media coverage, lobbying and our personal efforts to call the law makers. Could another explanation be that lawmakers have all but refised to treat us with dignity we deserved as an educated, law abiding, tax paying citizens contributing to the society. I believe that we didn't fail and we tried what we could but still lawmakers refuse to act on our casue, may be they are implying something without explicitly saying it ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu
Here is an update on Visa recapture from Aman:
"I know some people ask for achievements of Immigration Voice and comment, sometimes ridicule, that Immigration Voice has not been able to get even one provision in last one year. There are many other organizations working on behalf of various groups. If no immigration provision has passed in more than last one year, does it mean that all those organizations are also ineffective? We all know that this is a world of instant gratification but please understand that there are groups who go to DC to get their issues addressed and they wait for 2, 3 -5 years before anybody would start listening to their issues. You see, just to explain using an analogy, Microsoft is working to get H-1b numbers increased long before Immigration Voice started. If Microsoft has not been able to get Congress to increase H-1B numbers, does it mean that Microsoft is no longer an effective corporation? Likewise, Immigration Voice has made significant progress but due to the political climate and statistical discussion about the undocumented, which of’course is different but an important issue, our provisions are clubbed in the comprehensive bill. If it would have been any other year when Congress was not considering the issue of undocumented or comprehensive immigration reform, advocacy effort of Immigration Voice would have definitely translated all our provisions into law six months back.

If you want us to get Visa recapture as interim fix, allow me to share with you that as it stands today, it will not happen outside of Comprehensive bill. Infact as it stands right now, even H-1B increase will also not happen outside of comprehensive bill. Reason? Most of the groups and companies have stopped pushing for temporary relief because any kind of temporary relief or interim relief chips away support from CIR and the offices of Senate and House Leadership along with other proponents of CIR have made it clear that any immigration relief has to be a part of CIR and not outside of it. Other companies/coalitions have stopped pushing for temporary H-1B increase as they do not want to be in the bad books of committee chairmen and the leadership offices by trying to sneak temporary relief that divides the supporters of CIR. Leadership wants support for CIR and want all sides to wait for CIR. And not doing so and trying to get interim relief before CIR would put them in bad books of Senate and House leadership, which no one wants coz if CIR fails, then after CIR, these offices will not co-operate with any group that tried to take away support from CIR. So it would be counter-productive politically to do things that take away good stuff from CIR. Also, if you think that any effort in the final week could help in anyway, then let me to share with you that most provisions and their language are decided much in advance and last minute efforts almost never yield any result on the Hill."
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #25 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 526
mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future
Default

I agree with you 100%. As this is true, lawmakers are very well aware of our grief, but none of them is saying it. They want to oppose legals in the name of opposing illegal immigration bills. If you look at CIR in 2006. First they put legals in the bill with illegals, then they oppose illegals, ultimately the result is no legal immigartion too. Nothing is getting passed in the congress for the legal immigration. what does it tell ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Dream
Pappu,
This post does clarify visa recapture issues, but what about concurrent 140/485 filing ? Also, if our fate is still so tied up with 12+ millions illegals, doesn't that mean that we failed to make our case, even with so much media coverage, lobbying and our personal efforts to call the law makers. Could another explanation be that lawmakers have all but refised to treat us with dignity we deserved as an educated, law abiding, tax paying citizens contributing to the society. I believe that we didn't fail and we tried what we could but still lawmakers refuse to act on our casue, may be they are implying something without explicitly saying it ?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #26 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/21/2005
Chargeability
:
China
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
09/21/2005
Compare
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 165
waitingGC is on a distinguished road
Default

This is really a very disappointing news. However, now we all know clearly that our issues are closely related to illegal alliens. We are on the same boat as that of illegals. CIR will probably take forever to happen. Maybe 2 to 3 years if we are lucky. My PD is just 3 months away (China EB2). I guess my PD will become current within 2 to 3 years even without immigration reform. I would not put my hope on this immigration reform now. I will just plan to wait for 2 to 3 years. It's kind of a relief for me.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #27 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 183
GC08 will become famous soon enough
Default Another Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincibleasian
They have to abolish the H1B programme completely since they can no longer prevent its abuse. They need to have a new process in place in which scrutiny occurs for each application of a foreign worker!
Another option is to spread the words how Americans treat H1B workers, esp. those educated ones. Once a realistic view about coming to America as a legal foreign worker is known, I bet a lot of people will not come. Who is going to waste 10 years of their life living in a "near-slave" work environment and at the end still apply to Canadian residency?

Once nobody, esp. those well-educated, high-tech, skill workers, comes, they will see the impact of the whole American immigration saga.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #28 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 379
msyedy can only hope to improve
Default I-485 Relief

Pappu's post

Other companies/coalitions have stopped pushing for temporary H-1B increase as they do not want to be in the bad books of committee chairmen and the leadership offices by trying to sneak temporary relief that divides the supporters of CIR. Leadership wants support for CIR and want all sides to wait for CIR. And not doing so and trying to get interim relief before CIR would put them in bad books of Senate and House leadership, which no one wants coz if CIR fails, then after CIR, these offices will not co-operate with any group that tried to take away support from CIR. So it would be counter-productive politically to do things that take away good stuff from CIR. Also, if you think that any effort in the final week could help in anyway, then let me to share with you that most provisions and their language are decided much in advance and last minute efforts almost never yield any result on the Hill."

I don't want to oppose IV, but think it this way.. If Microsoft and many big companies asking an increase in H1-B for so many years did not get anything done since 2005, then what are our chances of our voice even reaching them.
Everyone were so desparatly waiting for the I-485 relief before 15th feb.
Now that we know that the provisions and their language are decided much in advance, can we know if senate is really going to introduce CIR next month and are inclined towards passing it.

After reading the complete post, I have come to conclusion that we cannot
hope confidently that anything can pass this year or in the comming years.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #29 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 526
mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future
Default

Guys,
There's no doubt CIR is going to be brought in this year. How much of it or any of it will get passed, is the issue. Congress, as last year is determined to amalgamate us with the illegals so they can freely oppose the bill and indirectly kill both kind of immigration. I think we should put all our resources towards lobbying and make as many friends on the hill as possible.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #30 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 813
senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts
Default

Expectations are so high. Unless they workout compromise it may take long time to pass CIR. The risk is democrats want more relaxed CIR than 2006 form. We have to see how republicans will react for that. Also How skill bill form this year? Depends on that only CIR fate will be decided

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage
Guys,
There's no doubt CIR is going to be brought in this year. How much of it or any of it will get passed, is the issue. Congress, as last year is determined to amalgamate us with the illegals so they can freely oppose the bill and indirectly kill both kind of immigration. I think we should put all our resources towards lobbying and make as many friends on the hill as possible.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blatant violation of Equal Employment Opportunity walking_dude All other Green Card Issues 73 07-08-2009 05:53 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c)ImmigrationVoice.org