Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Pakistan
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
nomi is infamous around these parts nomi is infamous around these parts nomi is infamous around these parts
Default "American Dream Act" Bill for Illegal Youngsters Introduced in the House

03/02/2007: "American Dream Act" Bill for Illegal Youngsters Introduced in the House

Congressman Howard Berman (CA-28, D) and Congresswoman Lucille Roybal-Allard (CA-34, D) announced today the introduction of the "American Dream Act" which will provide a path to legal immigration status for college-bound children who have lived most of their lives in this country, but do not have legal immigration status. Their Republican colleague, Congressman Lincoln Diaz-Balart (FL-21, R) joined the Los Angeles representatives in this bipartisan effort.
Under the American Dream Act, qualified students would be eligible for temporary legal immigration status upon high school graduation that would lead to permanent legal residency if they go to college or serve in the military. The American Dream Act would also eliminate a federal provision that discourages states from providing in-state college tuition to immigrant students who have long resided in their states. Despite meeting state residency requirements, immigrant students in certain states are charged out-of-state or international tuition rates, which can be triple the cost of in-state tuition.

For Immediate Release
February 28, 2007

Congressman Howard Berman and Congresswoman Lucille Roybal-Allard Sponsor Legislation to Eliminate Barriers to College for Immigrant Students

Washington, D.C. - Congressman Howard Berman (CA-28, D) and Congresswoman Lucille Roybal-Allard (CA-34, D) announced today the introduction of the "American Dream Act" which will provide a path to legal immigration status for college-bound children who have lived most of their lives in this country, but do not have legal immigration status. Their Republican colleague, Congressman Lincoln Diaz-Balart (FL-21, R) joined the Los Angeles representatives in this bipartisan effort.

Under the American Dream Act, qualified students would be eligible for temporary legal immigration status upon high school graduation that would lead to permanent legal residency if they go to college or serve in the military. The American Dream Act would also eliminate a federal provision that discourages states from providing in-state college tuition to immigrant students who have long resided in their states. Despite meeting state residency requirements, immigrant students in certain states are charged out-of-state or international tuition rates, which can be triple the cost of in-state tuition.

"This bill would remove barriers confronted by young undocumented students who, as children, were brought to this country illegally by their parents," said Berman. "Many of them are honors students and valedictorians who, through no fault of their own, exist in a legal limbo with no way to adjust their status."

"When they finish high school, these students must choose between working illegally or trying somehow to continue their education while under a legal cloud," Berman continued. "They have grown up here, and America is the only home they know. They consider themselves Americans. But their lives are filled with uncertainty, and their future is limited so long as they have no legal status."

"Each year, hard working and talented students graduate from U.S. high schools, but due to their immigration status and despite having lived in this country for many years, face enormous barriers to furthering their education," Congresswoman Lucille Roybal-Allard said. "The American Dream Act recognizes the tremendous fortitude of these immigrant students who have overcome great obstacles in their lives to excel in school and dream of obtaining a better life through a college education."

Congresswoman Roybal-Allard said the bipartisan initiative would also strengthen our nation's workforce. "As a country, we can only gain from passage of the Dream Act. We hinder our
competitiveness in the global economy by keeping large numbers of U.S.-educated immigrant young people out of college, and ultimately the skilled workforce, solely because of decisions made years ago by adults who brought their families to this country illegally."

A companion measure will be introduced in the Senate.

Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
jonty_11 is a glorious beacon of light jonty_11 is a glorious beacon of light jonty_11 is a glorious beacon of light jonty_11 is a glorious beacon of light jonty_11 is a glorious beacon of light

Now that what I call the CLOUT of the illegal Immigrants...>Getting their childrens' lives secured....

Old 03-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Priority Date
:
May-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/20/2002
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/20/2004
Compare
485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute

"Under the American Dream Act, qualified students would be eligible for temporary legal immigration status upon high school graduation that would lead to permanent legal residency if they go to college or serve in the military. " Jump the border and join the army . Does this mean legal F1 can also apply for legal permanat residency.

its fun to read about these 'hispanic vote pandering' acts, i guess politicians here know about vote bank politics too.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/10/2005
Compare
sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold

The scope of this bill seems to be too small as compared to comprehensive immigration reform. It is unlikely for this bill to go any further. Maybe the intent of introducing this bill is to add it to the CIR bill when CIR is introduced in the House. I read a post of one of the core team member few days back which said that out all the bills that get introduced, a very small fraction of those bills are actually voted and passed by both the House and the Senate. Just by reading at the broad outline of this bill, it seems very unlikely for this bill "American Dream Act" to go any further than mere “introduction in the House”. Bottom-line: this bill is one time news.

Last edited by sanju; 03-02-2007 at 03:50 PM.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of

So if I countinue to live here on H1, my kids would be a eligible for PR if they go to college

Old 03-02-2007, 04:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/05/2005
Chargeability
:
Venezuela
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/05/2005
Compare
andy garcia has much to be proud of andy garcia has much to be proud of andy garcia has much to be proud of andy garcia has much to be proud of andy garcia has much to be proud of andy garcia has much to be proud of andy garcia has much to be proud of andy garcia has much to be proud of andy garcia has much to be proud of andy garcia has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitga
So if I countinue to live here on H1, my kids would be a eligible for PR if they go to college
which will provide a path to legal immigration status for college-bound children who have lived most of their lives in this country, but do not have legal immigration status.

If they are legal, they wont.
They will have to be illegal.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Priority Date
:
May-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Compare
GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy garcia
which will provide a path to legal immigration status for college-bound children who have lived most of their lives in this country, but do not have legal immigration status.

If they are legal, they wont.
They will have to be illegal.
We do not have legal immigration status either. So far we have been non-immgrants (atleast until filing of I-485). I am sure loads of people are stuck not being able to file I-485. So all of these people must qualify under this bill for parity.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
whoever is on a distinguished road

no, you have a legal immigration status -- H1 or whatever is legal status

Old 03-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/10/2005
Compare
sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitga
As per the bill, kids on H-4 and H-1B workers will be paying in-state tuition fee. I don't think the bill relates the PR with going to college. But not entirely sure about this….

Either way, it would only matter if this bill passes the House and the Senate and then signed by the President. All this is very unlikely in a situation where there are bigger fishes to fry on the immigration debate. But it is possible that the House leadership may include portions of this bill in the CIR to get the votes from the sponsors (Congressmen) of this bill, in support of CIR.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Compare
krishna.ahd is on a distinguished road

So , when you are waiting for GC and your kids enters into college you dont have to pay the tution fee as par with international students ??

This clearly means that nobody bothered about us - legal immigrants - politicians are same every where, they are concerned about the vote bank

Old 03-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Flattered to be an Indian..

I dont know folks........who will care about Legal Immigrants like us....looks like these politicians care, atleast most of them care about, illegal immigrants...Very disappointing.........

Old 03-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Bush is on a distinguished road
Default Naturally

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikekilo
I dont know folks........who will care about Legal Immigrants like us....looks like these politicians care, atleast most of them care about, illegal immigrants...Very disappointing.........

Naturally theres lot of support for illegals becoz they are the ones who are working in their(politicians) house.

Signed up for $20 monthly from Jan 07..

Old 03-03-2007, 01:01 AM
Banned
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts

There is no surprise for visblity of illegals. Reason they are 12 million people impacted.Legal immigrants who are impacted are a few hundred thousand. And Illegas cannot lead a comfortable life when they leave USA. But H1bs can go India or any other country to get high paid job. Also Top class jobs are less than 20% of USA workforce but low skill jobs are more than 80%. Illegals are aiming those 80% of jobs. Layoffs are common in high tech jobs when economy slows. So Americans are afraid of H1bs whereas layoffs are not common in low skilled jobs(even a Macdonald worker laid off he can get a similar job easily in any economy. So americans are not afraid of illegals. but in bad economy if a programmer loses a job then it is taking months or years to get a suitable job). Unless american jobs are protected from H1b there is going to be stiff oppostion to H1b and Gc increase. There are some protections in current H1b laws but they are just formal and rarely implemented. Now economy is good there is really shortage of skilled people but when they increase H1b too much then supply will increase. Congress should not give what immigration lawyers or Corporations are asking.There should be good mechanism to get more H1bs and Gcs when american workers are not available to those jobs and also some balance between demand and supply. There should be exemptions for Phds and Top scientists from the cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikekilo

Old 03-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GC08 will become famous soon enough
Default Do not underestimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanju
As per the bill, kids on H-4 and H-1B workers will be paying in-state tuition fee. I don't think the bill relates the PR with going to college. But not entirely sure about this….

Either way, it would only matter if this bill passes the House and the Senate and then signed by the President. All this is very unlikely in a situation where there are bigger fishes to fry on the immigration debate. But it is possible that the House leadership may include portions of this bill in the CIR to get the votes from the sponsors (Congressmen) of this bill, in support of CIR.
Well, that means that you, a legal immigrant, will need to subsidize them, illegals, through taxes. I definitely do not want to. You may ask "why are you so 'inhumane' to them?". Well... that's because nobody treats us as human beings. I think a lot of legal immigrants are getting numb now. Originally, I liked to participate in community services, etc. Now, I do not even think about it. Why? Because nobody cares about me and therefore, I cannot afford to care about others. Pure and simple.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
centaur is infamous around these parts centaur is infamous around these parts

Good argument
Quote:
Originally Posted by senthil1
There is no surprise for visblity of illegals. Reason they are 12 million people impacted.Legal immigrants who are impacted are a few hundred thousand. And Illegas cannot lead a comfortable life when they leave USA. But H1bs can go India or any other country to get high paid job. Also Top class jobs are less than 20% of USA workforce but low skill jobs are more than 80%. Illegals are aiming those 80% of jobs. Layoffs are common in high tech jobs when economy slows. So Americans are afraid of H1bs whereas layoffs are not common in low skilled jobs(even a Macdonald worker laid off he can get a similar job easily in any economy. So americans are not afraid of illegals. but in bad economy if a programmer loses a job then it is taking months or years to get a suitable job). Unless american jobs are protected from H1b there is going to be stiff oppostion to H1b and Gc increase. There are some protections in current H1b laws but they are just formal and rarely implemented. Now economy is good there is really shortage of skilled people but when they increase H1b too much then supply will increase. Congress should not give what immigration lawyers or Corporations are asking.There should be good mechanism to get more H1bs and Gcs when american workers are not available to those jobs and also some balance between demand and supply. There should be exemptions for Phds and Top scientists from the cap.