Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-01
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eb_retrogession is on a distinguished road
Default Immigration Voice in DC !!

Dear Friends,

Several memebers of the Immigration Voice organization are in Washington, DC for the weekend.
Many meetings are scheduled over a hectic 3-day period for team building, strategizing and taking the next steps.

My personal congratulations to all the hard-working team members for what has been accomplished in such a short time, and I'm really proud to be working with this motivated bunch of guys.

The task ahead is very hard and I beleive we are very well positioned to give this our best shot.

For folks that have not yet been a part of this effort, PLEASE come forward and help out.
Join www.immigrationVoice as a volunteer and helping hands is necessary in SEVERAL areas over the coming weeks.

Financial contrubution is KEY. Please remember, we are not going anywhere unless we reach our target $$$ objective. All the hard work, dedication shown thus far will go in vain if you don't join in now and contribute.

Also pls read the latest on www.numbersusa.com to see where the anti-immigration strategy is headed. Straight at the Comprehensive Immigration Bill.

I hope everyone here understands what immigrationVoice is up against, and if you don't join the voice right now, it may just end up a meek meow!
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2006, 12:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Sandeep is on a distinguished road
Default Meeting in Washington D.C. - Jan 14th and 15th

At the outset, I would like to thank the other participants for spending so much of their personal time and money in this effort in making a channelized approach to our lawmakers. The participants - WaldenPond, EB_Retrogression, StuckLabor, Sandeep, LogicLife, GCBronco, BlackLogs, Vin_A_99 - flew in from as far away as FL, GA, NV and KS and the rest made a long drive from PA & NJ to attend this 2 day meeting.

The objective was to meet with a lobbyist used by ISN (Rick Swartz) over the weekend (Jan 14th and 15th) . Mr. Swartz was kind enough to spare a lot of his time to explain to us his insights gained over 30 years of being in this field. We also had the benefit of meeting reputed people in this field like Denyse Sabagh (ex AILA general counsel and chair of legislative advocacy committee), Bo Cooper (ex General Counsel of the INS) and Judy Golub (ex Senior Director of Advocacy and Public Affairs at AILA) during this meeting.

We also had an opportunity to meet a prominent immigration lawyer Mr Rajiv Khanna whose portal - http://boards.immigrationportal.com - is one of the most frequented sites by the immigration community. It was really encouraging to get his support and guidance for immigrationvoice and we are really thankfull for his insights

We had a wealth of information, ideas and insights communicated to us by the people mentioned above. After this process of gathering inputs, we are currently evaluating the options and negotiating so as to arrive at an optimum arrangement representative of our needs and resources. A consistent message that has come across in all these meetings is not doing anything is the worst thing we can do.

Another point which has been consistently highlighted is the lack of resources - almost all of these lobbying efforts would involve a minimum of 25k upfront retainer fees at the minimum followed by an amount close to about 100k at the end of about a month. Hence we ask you to contribute and encourage friends, acquaintances, relatives who are in a similar position or have gone through this traumatic experience to contribute soon. If a thousand people contribute $100 each, we will reach our target. $100 is a lot of money but in the bigger scheme of things, it is twice the average monthly cable bill, and if we win our fight, it will have a lot more positive impact on our lives than cable does.

Last edited by Sandeep; 01-16-2006 at 12:46 PM.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/14/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/09/2007
Compare
file485 is on a distinguished road

Sandeep..

what the veterans in these issues say...Is this something doable..fightable or we shud just leave in the hands of lawmakers for mercy...

Old 01-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
black_logs is on a distinguished road
Default Please read this part above

We had a wealth of information, ideas and insights communicated to us by the people mentioned above. After this process of gathering inputs, we are currently evaluating the options and negotiating so as to arrive at an optimum arrangement representative of our needs and resources. A consistent message that has come across in all these meetings is not doing anything is the worst thing we can do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by file485
Sandeep..

what the veterans in these issues say...Is this something doable..fightable or we shud just leave in the hands of lawmakers for mercy...

Old 01-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/14/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/09/2007
Compare
file485 is on a distinguished road
Default congratulations for your effort...

all the gang who went to DC..

in the excitement, even forgot to congratulate you guys for taking so much pain and dedication and not just leaving it to 'let it happen when it will happen' kinda attitude...

please post your thoughts and plan of action..what needs to be done as highlights on this forum..Im sure there are many people who will open their wallets (I am sure its not more than they spend at an Indian grocery store..) ..there will be no second thoughts about contribution by all...

Who dosent want get out of this muck...!!

Old 01-16-2006, 02:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
mchundi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep
At the outset, I would like to thank the other participants for spending so much of their personal time and money in this effort in making a channelized approach to our lawmakers. The participants - WaldenPond, EB_Retrogression, StuckLabor, Sandeep, LogicLife, GCBronco, BlackLogs, Vin_A_99 - flew in from as far away as FL, GA, NV and KS and the rest made a long drive from PA & NJ to attend this 2 day meeting.

The objective was to meet with a lobbyist used by ISN (Rick Swartz) over the weekend (Jan 14th and 15th) . Mr. Swartz was kind enough to spare a lot of his time to explain to us his insights gained over 30 years of being in this field. We also had the benefit of meeting reputed people in this field like Denyse Sabagh (ex AILA general counsel and chair of legislative advocacy committee), Bo Cooper (ex General Counsel of the INS) and Judy Golub (ex Senior Director of Advocacy and Public Affairs at AILA) during this meeting.

We also had an opportunity to meet a prominent immigration lawyer Mr Rajiv Khanna whose portal - http://boards.immigrationportal.com - is one of the most frequented sites by the immigration community. It was really encouraging to get his support and guidance for immigrationvoice and we are really thankfull for his insights

Another point which has been consistently highlighted is the lack of resources - almost all of these lobbying efforts would involve a minimum of 25k upfront retainer fees at the minimum followed by an amount close to about 100k at the end of about a month. Hence we ask you to contribute and encourage friends, acquaintances, relatives who are in a similar position or have gone through this traumatic experience to contribute soon. If a thousand people contribute $100 each, we will reach our target. $100 is a lot of money but in the bigger scheme of things, it is twice the average monthly cable bill, and if we win our fight, it will have a lot more positive impact on our lives than cable does.
Thanks Sandeep for the update. Hope we can muster enough resources and come to a consesus on the agenda.
--MC

Old 01-16-2006, 03:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
apnair2002 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

CONGRATS FOR THE GREAT WORK.

Old 01-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
reachag is on a distinguished road
Default Thank you

Thanks to every one for putting so much effort. Please update the forum on the next plans. I have already asked my friends and co-workers about this site and requested them for donations. Will keep doing..

Old 01-16-2006, 04:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
jhegde is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thanks for great Team effort.

Thanks and appreciate efforts of all you guys. Here's my first payment of $151 via paypal.

Quote:
[size=1] Hence we ask you to contribute and encourage friends, acquaintances, relatives who are in a similar position or have gone through this traumatic experience to contribute soon. If a thousand people contribute $100 each, we will reach our target. $100 is a lot of money but in the bigger scheme of things, it is twice the average monthly cable bill, and if we win our fight, it will have a lot more positive impact on our lives than cable does.

Old 01-16-2006, 04:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
04/10/2005
Compare
baburob2 is on a distinguished road

THanks team for your dedication. Have been spreading the word about our organization , efforts, donation efforts to my friends, colleagues, neighbourhood. Have convinced about 10-15 people to donate and will keep doing it till we reach our goal. Please propose/share the next action items.

Old 01-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/26/2007
Compare
bklog_sufferer is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Great Job folks !!

I just wanted to congratulate you on our 1st step to battle. Since I couldn't go with you to DC, I have contributed the money that I could've spent in the travel.

Good luck for our next steps !!

Old 01-16-2006, 05:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
spgtopper is on a distinguished road

To all those who put so much time, money and effort during the weekend,

Just want you to know that your efforts are sincerely appreciated (much more than you think). While what you all are doing will also help your own cases, the fact that you showed so much initiative and drive means a lot to all those who are affected.

Thank you!

I am feeling painfully sorry (for myself) for not joining in although I am in MD! I read the messages over this weekend, and didn't want to interrupt your plans. I am sure some more local help may be necessary, please feel free to tell me whatever need to be done.

WaldenPond: pl. check ur private msg.

spgtopper

Old 01-16-2006, 07:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sobers is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Thank You

Thank you for your efforts All. This is the first time legal immigrants have come together as one for resolving their genuine problems.

I will be more than happy to contribute the requisite amounts, and also forward this to my friends. Even if 3,000 of the estimated 300,000 people (just 1%) affected by backlogs contribute $100 each we will raise $300K. This money will be well spent - a fraction of the thousands of dollars we pay in filing fees and attorney fees.

Btw, lobbying is always tough in an election year- a judicial remedy may also be another good option. Even if the 120-130K unused EB visas are recaptured it will bring significant forward movement of PDs. Have you guys throught about this option or discussed it during your meeting in DC?

Old 01-16-2006, 07:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gc_vsc is on a distinguished road
Default Referred this site to my friends

Let me thank you all for taking the efforts to end retrogression. I had send emails to my friends to contribute to this effort.

thanks

gc_vsc

Old 01-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
swanpond is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks!

Hats off to folks who came to DC this past weekend. I wish I were there, too. I'm in MD. Let me know if there is anything I can do.