Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2007, 11:23 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns007
Sorry, did not see this thread before.

Please let me know if you still need someone to call members. I am available until 4pm EST today.
Thank you ns007 and other members who have send PM today offering to volunteer for this initiative.

gsc999, ArunAntonio, pcs, newuser, willgetgc2005, pasupuleti, caydee, gcnirvana, ramaonline, 485Mbe4001 and samir took the lead in volunteering for calling our friends in CA. IV very much appreciates their willingness to volunteer.

We all will soon need to get into more active mode to participate in similar events in the local areas/communities. Kindly update your profile with your contact information. This is very important so that we could contact whenever there is any such opportunity.

Last edited by Administrator2; 04-21-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
smalgin is on a distinguished road

I cannot attend, but only because I am far away geographically. (LA Area)
Please tell Mr. Gutierrez that I support Title 5 of STRIVE Act.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute
Default How did the event go?

Could someone post the meeting notes.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by newuser
Could someone post the meeting notes.
Quite a few number of ppl from IV attended and i do hear that some good things are going on in the background, esp with the Congressman's Guiterrez's office...Hopefully something good will happen for all of us out this....

Last edited by boreal; 04-22-2007 at 01:30 AM.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Compare
decipher is on a distinguished road

The meeting was primarily about undocumented workers and family re-unification. It seemed to be organized by the Latino community and so conducted mainly in Spanish (There was a English translator for others).

There was a decent turnout of IV members but were ultimately overwhelmed by the undocumented crowd.

The congressman talked about immigration as a whole and specifically about the provisions for undocumented workers in his bill. He was asked a couple of questions about legal immigration during Q&A but he did not address them very satisfactorily.

After the meeting, I was concerned that he might not be completely aware of the legal immigration issues. However, I learned that he knows about the issues after talking to IV. Personally, I wish that he had talked a little about legal immigration provisions also in the meeting though.

Last edited by decipher; 04-22-2007 at 10:13 PM.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good turn-out

I stayed till 6:30 p.m. and got an opportunity to briefly talk about Immigration Voice and commended his initiative on solving this issue.

Here is my take:
- Lot of IV members showed up, around 50. Please correct me if I get that right.
- Per my understanding Gutierrez came to CA, even though he is from Illinois to seek and reinforce support from California representatives, since CA is the swing state as far as immigration is concerned. Legal as well as undocumented.
- A lot of Latino origin people showed up. Well, no surprises there. Most of STRIVE does deal with undocumented immigration. Infact, it might be better that way. We keep low public profile but hard and strong lobbying.
- I asked Rep. Gutierrez if STRIVE bill had enough Republican support to pass the House. He mentioned that he is working to do that.He wants us to contact Republicans reps., not just the Democrats.
- It was good learning experience. I wasn't expecting a structured Q&A session. A suggestion: It would be great if we can trash out a strategy among ourselves and designate a spokesperson.
- I gave a brief interview video interview to the office of a State Senator from Sacramento. I mentioned about IV and our goals.
- It did looked like a Spanish affair but it is our preogative to speak up.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/22/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/22/2006
Compare
anandsun is on a distinguished road
Default Pratik and Jay spent some quality time with the Congressman

Pratik and Jay spent some quality time with the Congressman AFTER the meeting was over. They should be updating us very soon.

Thanks
Anand

Old 04-22-2007, 12:02 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12-12-2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12-15-2005
Compare
ArunAntonio is a jewel in the rough ArunAntonio is a jewel in the rough ArunAntonio is a jewel in the rough ArunAntonio is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Numbers Matter !!!

I was at the meeting / Rally today. There was a decent turn out for the Legal Immigration reformsupporters. The one thing that stuck out when I walked out after the meeting was "NUMBERS MATTER" and this is the first time I saw it first hand. The Supporters of refrom for Undocumented workers were present in VAST numbers when compared to the supporters of Legal Immigration reforms. The other thing I noticed is that Rep. Gutierrez seems to be a grassroots level person who connects with the issues faced by the common man dues to the obsolete immigraiton policies.
However we have some thing from our end to do and that is to:
- Call the lawmakers and ask them to support the STRIVE act
- Keep reminding the lawmakers that our issues need to be addressed
- Make sure our issues get as much attention and coverage as possible
- Make our presence felt
- contribute, so that even though we may not have the numbers, we can make a difference with the $$
- Keep at it.

So my comments to all those who were there today and felt that it was not very productive, Please do not get disheartened, it did make a difference, the congressman saw and noticed that the people backlogged in the Legal Immigration channel are also willing to come out and get their word out. It also showed that we all in the IV community are connected enough to generate a showing agaisnt such small notice, we need to keep doing this, but in much bigger numbers and keep active and get out message out.

- Peace.

Last edited by ArunAntonio; 04-22-2007 at 12:37 PM.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:45 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Go IV

Thanks for the updates.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:04 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
caydee has much to be proud of caydee has much to be proud of caydee has much to be proud of caydee has much to be proud of caydee has much to be proud of caydee has much to be proud of caydee has much to be proud of caydee has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreal
Quite a few number of ppl from IV attended and i do hear that some good things are going on in the background, esp with the Congressman's Guiterrez's office...Hopefully something good will happen for all of us out this....
Overall, the turnout was good. And the audience was very involved. The thing that impressed me the most was the resolve I saw in the Congressman.

The Congressman's speech also covered both family and employment based immigration issues and this, in my opinion, justifies the association of the term "Comprehensive" with the STRIVE bill. This bill, being comprehensive in nature, deserves broad-based support. I am sure we all can do our part to ensure that this happens.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:11 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
velan is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks

Thanks for attending and updating us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caydee
Overall, the turnout was good. And the audience was very involved. The thing that impressed me the most was the resolve I saw in the Congressman.

The Congressman's speech also covered both family and employment based immigration issues and this, in my opinion, justifies the association of the term "Comprehensive" with the STRIVE bill. This bill, being comprehensive in nature, deserves broad-based support. I am sure we all can do our part to ensure that this happens.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ysnraju is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Learn and Educate around you first

In my Opinion all non-immigrant s require to get the comprehensive conclusion on the STRIVE Act first before going through.
STRIVE Act is to reform the deficiencies in current Immigration policies so that it streamlines the immigration process and makes easy for the immigrants to join their families and also make the kids of non-immigrants who were bought to this country of not their knowledge/ choice able to work
If the immigration process is proper there is no requirement for the people to come here and work illegally. Under new work process this illegal immigration can be resolved is the Point brought through these STRIVE Act.
Some of IV members getting to these meetings and keep saying I am legal and not able to get visa because there is no visa numbers available. It directly implicates that if there are Visa numbers available we are not here to support this.
In reality that is true if you happen to see the people who already went through the process, they always say/wonder why they are making the process so simple. In some occasions when the Labor certification process is made premium processing the questions/comments raised by GC holders is, why they are making this process so simple/ OO they are giving the LC just like that etc. once the GC is in hand no one will talk about anything.
Off these so called 12 million Illegal people can make the country aware of these problems in one moment and they can make the country stand still by calling a day or more off the work. In other hand, we so called high skilled immigrants (prefer calling high labor) they never, able to make this aware off. Not able to call a single day off the work. Even if they do they will make sure that nothing feels the absence giving automate script etc. Under legal doing illegal work is this high labor. Take consensus and you will find at least higher percentage will say they are always work more than 40 hrs a week. Which does legally illegal work? In other hand illegal but doing legal work in this country is the illegal immigrants they work for by hour and if they work an hour extra they collect for that also.
We always want the process from higher level, want to meet Law makers and want them to reform and understand the issue. But always forget the basic the Law makers are made by people. Did we had a chance to make the people understand this? Higher percentage of companies in this country employ immigrants and leaving the few exceptional company at most 10% of the work force in average is immigrants. So did we any time educated the reset of 90% our co-workers? We never do go and ask them they will start ask you what is work visa?
So we never try to make the people around us aware of the issue but we want founds to meet lawmakers, and make them understand. So instead how much you are donating, how many people around you making aware of the issue is better. Did you manage to educate 90% of your company aware of this issue is very important.
If you want really a change, start wearing protest black badge till the law is reformed and start educate the people around to aware of the issue. Possible meet your company top level people and make them aware of. Among these there will be lot of people kids, nieces, nephews, brothers, sisters, spouses, friends of law makers who can chat with them without appointment. Of these there are many hidden people who can pull the strings in so many unknown ways. At that point you are not half million your strength is multiplied people are aware of this.
Of the all my request is please do not behave that Visa numbers are not available so I am here. Do not put the behavior before Gate Pass something and after the Pass what is this type.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/18/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
sweet_jungle is a jewel in the rough sweet_jungle is a jewel in the rough sweet_jungle is a jewel in the rough
Default san jose meeting

[quote=caydee]Overall, the turnout was good. And the audience was very involved. The thing that impressed me the most was the resolve I saw in the Congressman.

I believe two IV members were on the dais. But, I do not know their names. Who were they? Were they the ones who met the Congressman later?

Old 04-22-2007, 02:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Totally contradictory opinions

Decipher and GSC999 have totally contradictory opinions . Not sure whom to believe here . . There seems to have been 2 sets of opinons here of the members who attended the rally.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnab221
Decipher and GSC999 have totally contradictory opinions . Not sure whom to believe here . . There seems to have been 2 sets of opinons here of the members who attended the rally.
Oh well!! Some things are going on in the background too and i was one of those ppl that shifted from the first group (disappointed) to the second group (optimistic) after talking with Aman. So, if you are not sure which group you are falling into, try calling someone in the core group.