Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2007, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Glass half full or half empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnab221
Decipher and GSC999 have totally contradictory opinions . Not sure whom to believe here . . There seems to have been 2 sets of opinons here of the members who attended the rally.
---
I think you mean the conclusions we drew are different. Yes, as Congressman Gutierrez himself said yesterday. Some people, he was referring to Latinos who were opposing STRIVE, see STRIVE as glass half-empty. Others as half-full.
I will want to be in the latter category anyday.

The objective of the meeting was to show support for STRIVE, I think we acheived that. If your expectation was that there will only be IV members in the group and the congressman would focus exclusively on that issue. Sorry for the disappointment, welcome to politics. Lets learn from this.

Also, most members think that only anti-immigrants oppose STRIVE. That is not true. Undocumented immigrants also oppose STRIVE. When someone says ,"oh the whole thing was regarding undocumented," well yes but you have to go deeper. Within that group, there are people who oppose STRIVE.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute

I attended the meeting and was there until 6:30 pm - The latinos were present in full strength, and some were distributing handouts to oppose the STRIVE bill.
The banners put up by illegal immigrants were more prominent than the lone banner which one of our members had brought. One banner was for the bill and another against the bill.
Our members asked a few questions, but the majority were posed from the illegal immigrant community and was about raids, deportation, family etc. Regardless, Title V is what matters to us and if the bill passes, Title V passes so we must support the bill as this is the only bill other than SKIL which addresses issues facing legal immigrants. In case the bill runs into a roadblock I hope the congressman can take Title V out of the bill and introduce a new bill for legal immigrants.

The Congressman also said he has the support of 180 democrats in the House and it takes 218 members to get the bill passed. He requested us to call local republican congressmen/women & get their support for the bill.

Note that this bill also allows u to file ead/485 even if a visa number is not available by paying an extra $500.

Check this link for the title 5 text
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:H.R.1645
I140 approval Oct 2006
I485 filed Jul 2 07
I485 approved on Jul 25 2011
Received green cards on Jul 28 2011

Last edited by ramaonline; 04-22-2007 at 05:55 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2007, 05:11 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
May-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
pdakwala will become famous soon enough pdakwala will become famous soon enough
Default UPDATE ON Congressman Gutierrez Event in SAN JOSE

First we would like to thank you everyone who took some time off on Saturday evening and attended the event in San Jose. We also thanks Jay who came to San Jose to attend this event from Reno. The event took approximatly one and half to two hour. Majority of the People from our community left after 45 to 60 minutes. Very few people had stayed for the entire event.

There are some members who were upset and had made statements on this forum saying that the entire event was for illegal immigrants and they don't know why they went. Please note that the STRIVE ACT does not have only our provisions. The STRIVE ACT is 700+ page bill and there are several provision for other immigrant community. It will be unfair if we expect every senator and congressman to mention legal immigration whenever they are giving a speech. If the senator or congressman does not say anything about the legal immigration in their speech, that does not mean that they does not support us. Immigration Voice core group is requesting everyone to be polite and have patience.

After the event was over (as per the plan) myself and Jay got an opportunity to speak with Congressman Gutierrez. Congressman and his Deputy Chief of Staff have asked us to convey to everyone that they appretiate the effort that all our members took by making themselves available for this event. Congressman have told us that he fully support legal immigration and his bill will solve the issues that we are facing.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/10/2005
Compare
sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold
Default "HIGHLY SKILLED" - Keep it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamagg
I was the first person in the QnA - disappointed at the intent of this meeting - they really care about illegal immigration - not once legal immigrants were discussed. It was a farce and IV was just used as an organization to show support to him - very disappointed.

gautamagg,

You are the biggest idiot on the face of the earth. You went to the event saying that you represent Immigration Voice. Then you started showing your elitist attitude during your question. If I recollect, your question was:

You came to US on student visa, changed to H1 and filed for green card. You do not want to live in US but simply want to go back to India after getting a “higher degree”. Since you have declared your immigrant intent, you are not able to change to F1 visa. Stanford and Berkeley Universities are dying to have you as a student in those Univ. What should you do …..

How the hell do you expect a Congressman to answer a question that is meant for an immigration counselor/attorney? To begin with, why did you even ask such a question in this event? Do you have any idea what Immigration Voice is about? When you are saying you want to go back, why don’t you simply leave? Why the hell is there a need for you to come to a meeting and ask a question that does not represent the problems of the majority and the representative sample of IV members? It would be one thing if your question represented the problem in general. But it is entirely different thing when you come to such event and want to get answers for your question so that you don’t have to pay $100 to an immigration attorney. I truly feel ashamed of being called as “highly skilled” immigrant when elitist like you ask such stupid question. There is definitely something wrong with the selection process of Berkeley and Stanford to select idiots like you. Sometimes, looking at some posts and people like yourself, I personally feel that people whom you called “illegal immigrants” are far better than people like you. And without having any clue of the bigger objective of the meeting and our participation, you are coming here and posting that you are “disappointed at the intent of this meeting”. Boy! you have some nerve. Best of luck with your tunnel vision which is sure to take you places.

On a different note, Congressman Gutierrez is a true leader. He took the lead in sponsoring COMPREHENSIVE IMMIGRATION REFORM bill. Congress is full of people who do not look at the merit of the issue but simple look at the polls to decide their stand on the issue. Congressman Gutierrez showed exceptional courage and quality of a true leader by sponsoring STRIVE bill. If you don’t know, STRIVE bill has very good provisions to end green card backlog. But of’course, why would you care, you are simply dying to go back and simply wanted to show to the crowed that you are better than others. You have no clue about “COMPREHENSIVE IMMIGRATION REFORM bill”, would you? I would have not replied to you if you hadn't posted your message. But seeing you behave the way you did at the event, and then coming to the forums to say that you were “disappointed” underscores a simple fact, and that is, when IV has foolish members like yourself, there is no need for anti-immigrant groups to do anything.

Last edited by sanju; 04-22-2007 at 11:12 PM.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:17 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12-12-2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12-15-2005
Compare
ArunAntonio is a jewel in the rough ArunAntonio is a jewel in the rough ArunAntonio is a jewel in the rough ArunAntonio is a jewel in the rough
Default Not the correct Forum.

Quote:
I was the first person in the QnA - disappointed at the intent of this meeting - they really care about illegal immigration - not once legal immigrants were discussed. It was a farce and IV was just used as an organization to show support to him - very disappointed.

gautamagg,
I was at the meeting and I was really taken aback by your question, it was totally out of context, I think I understand your position which is 'You wanted GC - you are not getting it - you decide to go back - but before that you decide to attend school - but cant get F1 coz you extablizhed Intent to Immigrate' -- This is a unique situation... atleast not something the larger IV community is affected by, but the accusing tone of your question to the Rep. was uncalled for .. I dont even know what you expected out of this meeting for your situation .. just try to get some perspective and place things incontext.. and again numbers matter.. if there were thousands of ppl in your situation your problem would have been addressed... anyways.. I beg to differ on your opinion about it being a farce.. There is effort being put to address the issues and IV has to maintain presence and make sure our issues are out there and are being noticed and not forgotten.. and thats what precisely happened yesterday.. IV members who are affected by Retrogression made their presence felt, the Core members were present on the dias rubbing shoulders with Congressman Gutierrez and representing the retrogressed community.
Your issue.. my friend .. unfortunately is not on the mandate of IV or the congressman..no doubt you were disappointed.. but good luck with you efforts and struggle.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Say What?

Quote:
---
Say What????

I agree with Sanju, Janak and Arun. Many other IV members I met had negative feedback about your question. Irrelevant to our cause.

Btw, I was the guy wearing IV T-shirt.

Last edited by gsc999; 04-23-2007 at 02:28 AM.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:38 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute arnab221 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What were the objections in STRIVE ?

Lot of you guys have mentioned that there were a set of people( Latino immigrant community) there who were not happy with some of the terms in the STRIVE ACT. Could one of you tell us what those terms were ? Since legal immigration reform are hostage to Comprehensive immigration bills at this stage, I am just pondering if those terms become a hindarance in STRIVE getting cleared and consequently section V not getting passed .

Also Ramaonline says that Congressman Guiterrezz told him that he is assured of a support of 180 House democrats and needs 218 Votes to pass the bill. So that leaves us with 38 votes that are needed. From what we see and hear in the news media, there are just a handful of House Republicans now who do not support this Bill . The consensus from the news media is that many of the Republicans who opposed CIR last year have not got re-elected . So if this is the case then 38 Republicans should not be a real problem to find . Any factual opinions ?

Last edited by arnab221; 04-23-2007 at 02:56 AM.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:19 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute

according to a recent news item, the house speaker needs the support of at least 70 republicans to even consider a vote:

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., has told the White House she could not pass a bill with Democratic votes alone, nor would she seek to enforce party discipline on the issue.
Bush would have to produce at least 70 Republican votes before she would consider a vote on comprehensive immigration legislation. Garnering such support might be very difficult for a president saddled with low approval ratings.
Democratic conservatives, particularly freshmen who seized their seats from Republicans, had to weather a barrage of attacks on the issue before their victories in November and are not eager to relive the experience, party aides and lawmakers say.
I140 approval Oct 2006
I485 filed Jul 2 07
I485 approved on Jul 25 2011
Received green cards on Jul 28 2011

Old 04-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

This meeting was a success since IV was able to display support for the bill and also then follow up after the meeting. IV core members worked hard to make this event a success and we are happy to report this. We did get an irresponsible member gautamagg in this event by using IV's name and asking a wrong question. This Q and A session should have been used to talk about the general issues of the organization members and that IV fully supports the bill that brings relief to us. And not asking if this congressman can get me a F1 visa because I don't want to spend $100 and ask this question to a lawyer. Or saying I am getting a 100K salary now and if I get my greencard I can get 120K salary and I am very depressed because of that. It is really tough to discipline everyone coming to the meetings and making sure each question will be well thought of and coordinated. There are definitely some lessons learnt after such representations in public meetings.

Many thanks to gsc999 for bringing a banner and wearing IV t-shirt. We also want to acknowledge his contributions of over $1K to immigrationvoice and wish we have more members like him. Many thanks to members who helped us call all CA members and ensured we have a good turnout. Our success will be very close if we have such committed and responsible members.

Members are requested to be mature and responsible in such meetings. If you are using IV’s name and IV has invited you for the meeting, you are representing all 10,700+ members and you are their voice.

Last edited by pappu; 04-23-2007 at 11:34 AM.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
Default Thanks Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu
This meeting was a success since IV was able to display support for the bill and also then follow up after the meeting. IV core members worked hard to make this event a success and we are happy to report this.
Many thanks to gsc999 for bringing a banner and wearing IV T shirt
---
Pappu, thank you for your kind words. I just had the T-shirt. Canadian_Dream brought the banner. Canadian_dream has been a very active member behind the scenes. Both of us coordinated this effort so that we could share the work. Next time we promise to be better prepared.

Go Northern California Group, Go IV!

Old 04-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
gcnirvana is on a distinguished road
Default Please update your profiles

Great to hear that the event was a success. I was one of the volunteers who had the oppurtunity to call CA members and I just have one suggestion. Please update your profiles with your latest email and phone numbers. Of the 25 people I called, atleast 5 or 6 had incorrect phone numbers. One even went to a fax number. The intent for IV is to reach you quickly in such case but looks like the intent for such members is 'do-not-disturb'.
Prior Contributions: $500+
Monthly Contribution: $25
Greened on 9/3/10

Old 04-23-2007, 01:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute
Default I agree with gcnirvana.

Out of all the people I called, around 10-15 members phone no's don't even go to a voice mail. Please update the phone's and e-mail addresses that can reached incase we have an event like this.

Thanks to all the members who were able to attend this event.

Go IV.

Last edited by newuser; 04-23-2007 at 08:16 PM.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
caydee has much to be proud of caydee has much to be proud of caydee has much to be proud of caydee has much to be proud of caydee has much to be proud of caydee has much to be proud of caydee has much to be proud of caydee has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcnirvana
Great to hear that the event was a success. I was one of the volunteers who had the oppurtunity to call CA members and I just have one suggestion. Please update your profiles with your latest email and phone numbers. Of the 25 people I called, atleast 5 or 6 had incorrect phone numbers. One even went to a fax number. The intent for IV is to reach you quickly in such case but looks like the intent for such members is 'do-not-disturb'.
I had the same problem with phone numbers. About 8 numbers turned out to be incorrect. Update your profile, please. And if you do not want to be contacted by phone, please leave the phone # box in the profile blank.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
Default Yes, plz update your phone numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by caydee
I had the same problem with phone numbers. About 8 numbers turned out to be incorrect. Update your profile, please. And if you do not want to be contacted by phone, please leave the phone # box in the profile blank.
---

Ditto, Please update your phone numbers.
Thanks in advance

Old 04-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gautamagg is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your very kind feedback everyone. Let me address a few things all of you raised:

1. Not once did I mention I represent Immigration Voice - in fact the man in the white shirt assumed I did and I categorically along with my 4 friends said I was not.
2. Talking about being elitist:
a). I am not sure what makes you believe that - if its the words like prestigious etc. Keep in mind my friends, these are politicians you are talking to. You got to use a language that resonates the flaws in their laws. And when a powerful statement like mentioning a school can be made, I would make it. In addition, its about telling a story with passion, they all know about the EB2/ EB3 issues, retrogression, inability to apply 485, spouses inability work. Our telling them those same issues again wont help especially to the one who wrote the new proposal. You have to tell him a story that shows that the US will be hurt as we have other options - if we show them an attitude that this is country is our only option, they will not do much but abuse our rights further. He should be told they would loose us. In fact the passive Indian attitude has to be killed. We need to have the "WTF" attitude and not believe the GC being the end of our lives.Let them know we carry the skilled edge and if you don't fix our situation then its only your loss. This is what the foundation was of our country's independence - don't forget that.

b). Don't tell me people did not have personal agendas to fight for. We legals are crying about illegals coming ahead of us. People in EB2 don't read about EB3. IV focuses on employment based issues - what about people on family based issues? What about people who have green cards but can't marry because of waiting periods. These are all issues and equally important from the eyes of the person suffering them. We all have our agendas.

i). The dude in the white shirt did not want IV guys to read what the Latinos had to say on their flyer. Was he not trying to promote IV's agenda at a predominantly illegal and Latinos focused gathering?
Some of us wanted English in a crowd that was primarily Hispanic. Was that not an agenda?

ii). How many of you would have been part of IV if you already had a green card - even though you faced so many hurdles. I bet none of you. You all care about your GCs - lets be honest. At least in my case I know nothing can happen for me to go to school this year and I am taking a chance in India. I know I wont get the benefit of it - but I am raising a concern for future people who could benefit.

iii). Talking about agendas - think with a cool mind - My story and that of the other 15 people's is actually a pretty powerful story to discuss in media - to go to newspapers to go to lawmakers - we are backed by the Stanfords and the Harvards. Our story is a perfect platform one could use to affect Immigration Reform. And I did reach out to IV about this a month ago - but since we were only 14 it is not on your agenda. Its all about numbers - and the rally proved it. The Senator talked only about illegals since that was his audience. IV folks were on the podium - what happened? Did one statement come about legals? No. Because we are not in the millions. Because we are chicken about loosing our jobs if we go on a country wide 1 day strike to prove how we can damage the economy if we don't work. We can't even get our employers to rally up for us where as the illegals have got their employers talk about them.

iv). How many of us realize that we are better off with an IT job that pays well when one compares to the 20K odd cash jobs the illegals support families of 4+ with? We all knew spouses cant work on H4 but we still got married - we all want to make more money with a better control on life and therefore we talk about reforms - trust me we all are better off than those illegals. But yet we have our own agenda and we are complaining.

3. Anyone who thinks I should get out of the portal - trust me you are not promoting free speech - the very essence of this country - I'll do what is right for me as long as I don't hurt anyone else...But don't get stressed if you did not get your chance...Its about survival of the fittest and when IV decided not to bring my case up, it was for me to bring it up. I believe in leading in the absence of a leader. I do not doubt IV's efforts but that rally was not your effective place. It was clearly addressed to the illegals and therefore I rose. I am in the same boat as all of you cant apply for stage 3, but then I took a stand, F*** the GC, I want to create my own destiny and not let a moron decide that I will stay a software engineer for the rest of my life...may of you want to go to school to get educated but are waiting for GC to happen - I was in that boat for ever too but enough is enough, I wont let my identity and my self respect be treated by the "Hijda visa" we all have to live off. I mean it DO NOT show a begging attitude for change in laws - be aggressive like the Latinas - you saw what happened at the rally. These lawmakers are looking for numbers to get votes - they don't care about you and me....they really don't....

4. Lastly, anyone who thinks I wanted free legal advice feel free to drop a note to me to see my lawyers fees in the last 3 weeks - also feel free to call Rajiv Khanna to see how many times I have spoken to him - the uniqueness of my situation caused him enough pain that he did a free conf-call 3 weeks ago and someone from IV was there too. Instead of being focused on the agenda of the call - he was trying to change focus to the agenda of getting his wife to work on H2 by moving to J1 and doing to school - these are all agendas my friends...