Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2006, 05:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Compare
sertasheep will become famous soon enough

may be IV should charge a small fee (5 to 10$) for each fax sent, voluntarily from the members so that such additional webfaxes do not bleed into the coffers.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2006, 05:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sobers is on a distinguished road

Guys

One thing that concerns me is this: what if the senate passes a bill to legalize all illegal aliens alongwith a guest worker provision for low skilled labor (as seems increasingly likely) - one that also has reform of the H1B and EB Green Card system- and the EB visa provisions are stripped out during conference committee??

After all there will be some give and take and restrictionists will look to curtail as much immigration as possible. Democrats are looking at 10-12 million latino votes and will stick to guestworker+legalization provisions (as well as republican supporters of the construction, agriculture, restaurant+hospitality industries)...and the H1B/EB reform provisions are used a bait and dropped out. It seems there is little support on the Democractic side for us immigrants, they only care about the latino illegals. I will be happy to be proved wrong, but this is what it seems...

read this story....it really opened my eyes..."After the hearing, advocates for increased H1-B visas indicated they were not encouraged. "Our experience last year leads us to believe that the House will be more hesitant to adopt the reforms necessary to fix the H-1B and green card systems," said Eric Thomas, spokesman for the advocacy group Compete America...

Of course, anti-immigrant repubs like steve king do not like immigration but see what democrat maxine waters says...i know we will cross the bridge when we come to it, but maybe we need to start strategzing about this issue right now...

I personally feel we need to stay as far away from H1B issue as possible...it is a loaded gun even with democracts....we ought to always highlight the fact that we are legal immigrants....and need relief

http://news.com.com/H-1B+visas+hit+r...l?tag=nefd.top

Last edited by sobers; 03-31-2006 at 05:32 PM.

Old 03-31-2006, 05:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sobers is on a distinguished road

Jeff sessions opposes ALL immigration...illegal and legal...he just uses different arguments
illegals broke the law so there should be no amnesty
legals take jobs from american workers and depress wages.

he was one of only of only 14 senators to oppose S. 1932 relief in December...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb3_frustrated
It is unfortunate we are fighting by comparing our position to that of undocumented workers.

The downside of doing this is, consider if guest worker program legislation fails, do you agree that since it failed even the legal immigration provisions should not pass as well.

I think only way we can succeed is differenciating and distancing ourself from the undocumented. I think our case is stronger and even the most conservative senators like Jeff Sessions agree to it.

Just my two cents....

Old 03-31-2006, 05:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Eb3_frustrated is on a distinguished road
Default Illegal provisions will not work without legal

sobers,

If you followed the SJC meetings not one senator had issues with legal provisions, if the guest worker program fails it safe to assume legal might have chance at the committee.

I am sure there cannot be guest worker program without provisions for legal immigrations. PACE act had 61 cosponsers, now house is a different story but no way they are going to approve guest worker program without the provision for legal immigrations. Case in point HR 4437, no guest worker provision and also S1930 failed because house did not want to combine immigration with budget.

Last edited by Eb3_frustrated; 03-31-2006 at 05:43 PM.

Old 03-31-2006, 05:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
posmd has a spectacular aura about posmd has a spectacular aura about posmd has a spectacular aura about
Default Really sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobers
Guys

One thing that concerns me is this: what if the senate passes a bill to legalize all illegal aliens alongwith a guest worker provision for low skilled labor (as seems increasingly likely) - one that also has reform of the H1B and EB Green Card system- and the EB visa provisions are stripped out during conference committee??

After all there will be some give and take and restrictionists will look to curtail as much immigration as possible. Democrats are looking at 10-12 million latino votes and will stick to guestworker+legalization provisions (as well as republican supporters of the construction, agriculture, restaurant+hospitality industries)...and the H1B/EB reform provisions are used a bait and dropped out. It seems there is little support on the Democractic side for us immigrants, they only care about the latino illegals. I will be happy to be proved wrong, but this is what it seems...

read this story....it really opened my eyes..."After the hearing, advocates for increased H1-B visas indicated they were not encouraged. "Our experience last year leads us to believe that the House will be more hesitant to adopt the reforms necessary to fix the H-1B and green card systems," said Eric Thomas, spokesman for the advocacy group Compete America...

Of course, anti-immigrant repubs like steve king do not like immigration but see what democrat maxine waters says...i know we will cross the bridge when we come to it, but maybe we need to start strategzing about this issue right now...

I personally feel we need to stay as far away from H1B issue as possible...it is a loaded gun even with democracts....we ought to always highlight the fact that we are legal immigrants....and need relief

http://news.com.com/H-1B+visas+hit+r...l?tag=nefd.top

This is rather concerning. I am sure this was the testimony that IV members were saying they may have an option to testify at.

Sadly EB visas and H1b provisions appear to go together in the minds of legislators. You notice that they always get addressed together even if, like in the real ID act one is approved and the other dropped(where they gave 20K H1b visas for US masters degree holders and 50K EB visas for Nurses/Physiotherapists but stripped recapture provisions for everyone else, l supect that we will not get EB visa expansion without the H1b cap being expanded also.

The text of this article is therefore especially concerning.

I feel that we need to push the view in the minds of lawmakers that it is the waiting period for the green card that the employee/immigrant is especially vulnerable to exploitation and that expanding visa numbers would be the best way to tackle that issue.
We should leave the H1b issue to corporate america since they have large enough lobby.

Last edited by posmd; 03-31-2006 at 05:55 PM.

Old 03-31-2006, 05:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
posmd has a spectacular aura about posmd has a spectacular aura about posmd has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
sobers,

If you followed the SJC meetings not one senator had issues with legal provisions, if the guest worker program fails it safe to assume legal might have chance at the committee.

I am sure there cannot be guest worker program without provisions for legal immigrations. PACE act had 61 cosponsers, now house is a different story but no way they are going to approve guest worker program without the provision for legal immigrations. Case in point HR 4437, no guest worker provision and also S1930 failed because house did not want to combine immigration with budget.

Don't believe that for a second. Like it or not those against immigration tend to find all sorts of excuses to push their agenda. Their argument is so morally wrong against legal immigrants that they have to grasp at straws. All sorts of ammendments are attached to budget bills. The decision to drop those provisions from S1932 was based on anti immigrant sentiment in the house, let there be no mistake about that.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sertasheep
may be IV should charge a small fee (5 to 10$) for each fax sent, voluntarily from the members so that such additional webfaxes do not bleed into the coffers.
In that case it would be cheaper to fax thru a normal fax machine

Old 03-31-2006, 06:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Berkeleybee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sertasheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb3_nepa
I assure you that it is not the cost of faxes that is making us pause. It is strategic issues.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that. Besides if you charge $5 for a fax, i think most ppl wudnt send them

If someone was to pay that much it wud be better if they thoroughly personalized the fax.

A question about Faxes. Do these faxes carry the Immigration Voice logo?

Old 03-31-2006, 06:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Berkeleybee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb3_nepa
A question about Faxes. Do these faxes carry the Immigration Voice logo?
As far as I know no. Admin should correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Eb3_frustrated is on a distinguished road
Default You are partly right but not quite

posmd,

You are correct, there is definetly a sentiment of anti-immigration and xenophobia, dubia ports deal confirm that, but atleast the conference had the argument that budget provisions were already controversial and argued that the S1930 immigration provisions made it worse, so had to drop it.

Now S2454 could have the same fate no question about that, but it is worth the effort because high tech lobby is totally displeased with the current position on h1 and green cards, afterall the congressmen need money to run political campaign and that might play little bit of role this time around. Just my thoughts, if we think the house is just going to say no any immigration reform we might as well give up now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by posmd
Don't believe that for a second. Like it or not those against immigration tend to find all sorts of excuses to push their agenda. Their argument is so morally wrong against legal immigrants that they have to grasp at straws. All sorts of ammendments are attached to budget bills. The decision to drop those provisions from S1932 was based on anti immigrant sentiment in the house, let there be no mistake about that.

Last edited by Eb3_frustrated; 03-31-2006 at 07:06 PM.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
iptel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkeleybee
I assure you that it is not the cost of faxes that is making us pause. It is strategic issues.

I agree with Berkeleybee. Are we considering involving Q&G working toward the strategy.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
posmd,

You are correct, there is definetly a sentiment of anti-immigration and xenophobia, dubia ports deal confirm that, but atleast the conference had the argument that budget provisions were already controversial and argued that the S1930 immigration provisions made it worse, so had to drop it.

Now S2454 could have the same fate no question about that, but it is worth the effort because high tech lobby is totally displeased with the current position on h1 and green cards, afterall the congressmen need money to run political campaign and that might play little bit of role this time around. Just my thoughts, if we think the house is just going to say no any immigration reform we might as well give up now.
Giving up is out of the question. It is still better than even odds that some sort of bill is going to pass. Any bill is likely to give the stated objectives of IV some boost.

The important thing for us all is that the sections on backlog reductions pass. We need to pursue all avenues, whatever the arguments and issues that will resonate with the balanced thinking americans who can sway this issue. The anti immigrants are projecting/threatening that this issue will cause pain to the republicans at the polls this fall elections.The fact is our provisions WILL NOT CAUSE republicans to lose out.

Like it or not some of our issues in THIS CURRENT DEBATE are mixed in with the illegals, this all along was the strategy of anti immigrant xenophobes like numbersusa who succeeded with eliminating sec 8001 and 8002 of S1932 in the budget bill last year.

Now we are better organised and need to use our intellects to be more shrewd than them. If you look at the thread about their strategy to storm the senators offices on monday you will see what we are up against. They are aware that they do not have the numbers to demonstrate like the 1/2 million illegals that marched in LA, so they take up this strategy.
Whatever you think about them you have to give it to them that their strategy is cerebral!

Last edited by posmd; 03-31-2006 at 08:28 PM.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
rick_rajvanshi is infamous around these parts
Default why not add non working spouses who came legally in the memo

why not add plights of non working spouses in the memo who have been waiting patiently whereas senate is considering issuing workpermits to both undocumented worker and spouse for six years !

Sen Lamar Alexnder is very positive about Indian skilled workers and I saw him again and again giving examples of how skilled workers come to the US and improve standard of living.

So far he is the only one who has spoken about skilled technology workers and may be very helpful in promoting our cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkeleybee
Cpolisetti,

These developments have happened very fast. We are working on figuring out an appropriate way to use/convey this information .

best,
Berkeleybee

Old 03-31-2006, 11:56 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
brb2 will become famous soon enough brb2 will become famous soon enough

I don't think anyone needs to worry for H1B numbers. Heavy weight Bill Gates paid a visit to DC recently and canvassed hard. I think the argument that illegals are jumping the queue ahead of legal immigrants will fly. Secondly, if spouses of illegals can work why not spouses of H1B and others under retrogression.

With the amount of capital Bush has invested and now that the house speaker is coming around, I feel that the bill will be pushed through the senate and the conference committees.

I am more concerned with the democrats than the republicans. Democrats are the ones who are traditionally against competition with union labor. I don't think the high tech workers lamenting will fly with anyone. The whole manufacturing sector has been turned on its head and no one did anything as people continued to buy chinese made goods from wal-mart. Who will now come and shed tears for the techies? The mantra is to retrain and compete - that is globalization. We too will face a similar situation in 10-15 years. Continuing education and retraining is the only way to survive under globalization.