Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2007, 03:35 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute
Default Action Item: Send Emails to all senators using this text.

Please email all your senators using the text in the quoted box below. Most websites have the contact form page where you can fill out the text box with the message. Copy-paste the message from below. Add a short description of your profession and the number of years you have been waiting for greencard. Dont add too much of your own story, and stick to the message below.

You can add your own message like "My name is .... and I am from city, state. I have been waiting in queue for greencard for legal skilled immigration for X years. ".

How to find senator's website:

Find the 2 senators of your state first and then email these 10 important senators mentioned below. Go to www.senate.gov to find the website of each senators :

Tip: If you have Google toolbar, then its very easy to autofill your name/address on the websites of senators below.

Patrick J. Leahy http://leahy.senate.gov/contact.html
Arlen Specter http://specter.senate.gov/index.cfm?...ntactInfo.Home
Chuck Hagel http://hagel.senate.gov/index.cfm?Fu...n=Contact.Home
Dianne Feinstein http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/publ...tactUs.EmailMe
John Cornyn http://cornyn.senate.gov/index.asp?f...&lid=1#contact
Harry Reid http://reid.senate.gov/contact/email_form.cfm
Mitch McConnell http://mcconnell.senate.gov/contact_form.cfm
Mel Martinez http://martinez.senate.gov/public/in...TOKEN=66357958
Trent Lott http://lott.senate.gov/index.cfm?Fus...=Contact.Email
Lindsey Graham http://lgraham.senate.gov/index.cfm?mode=contactform

How to find contact email/info:

Most senators have "Contact me" or "Contact us" menu item. The would either have email address or mostly a web-form where you can fill out a form to send an email. Use that facility.

What message to send:

Dont forget to replace [your name] space at the bottom of email text with your real name.

Put "Legal skilled immigrants to face more backlogs and delays" in the subject line of email. Some Senator's websites have a drop-down list to choose the issue you want to talk about.

Then copy the message in the quote box below.

Quote:
Dear Senator:

Subject: Treating the currently backlogged legal skilled immigrants at parity with undocumented immigrants and family-based applicants in the Immigration Reform bill S. 1348.

Immigration Voice (www.immigrationvoice.org) represents the interest of 500,000 legal skilled immigrants in the United States on the path to green cards who have been stuck in enormous backlogs and delays in immigration process.

The career growth, job mobility and quality of life of these half a million legal skilled immigrants is subverted by the bill in its current form.

1. Section 501(b) reduces the number of green cards to legal skilled immigrants from the current 140,000/year to 90,000/year and diverts the major portion of those green cards to future low-skills guest workers under the Y visa program. Instead of increasing that number to reduce the backlogs this section take a step backwards and would exacerbate the backlogs. On the other hand, 503(f)(2) of this act would allocate an estimated 11 million green cards over a time frame of 5 years – 2.2 million a year – to undocumented immigrants. Immigration Voice requests congress to treat legal skilled immigrants at parity with undocumented immigrants and increase the number of green cards to at least 250,000 for 5 years for currently backlogged applicants defined under Sec. 502(d)(2) in order to reduce to current backlog before the untested points based merit system is functional.

2. Immigration Voice requests congress to waive per-country ceilings on backlogged petitions to be processed under Sec. 502(d)(2) in order to make the backlog reduction more efficient. The bill provides a very similar waiver from per-country ceilings to family based pending petitions in section 508(b).

3. Immigration Voice requests congress to allow legal skilled immigrants to file for adjustment of status for those applicants who have been certified by DOL to be doing jobs no US citizen is willing, qualified or able to do. This would be at parity with provisions for undocumented immigrants who would qualify for instant work permit (probationary card) that allows them to work without employer sponsor and without department of labor’s certification simply by registering.

Immigration Voice strongly opposes the bill S 1348 in its current form and requests congress to amend this bill and treat the legal skilled immigrants at parity with undocumented immigrants, future guest-workers and pending family-based applicants.

Thanks,
[your name]

Last edited by logiclife; 05-23-2007 at 05:19 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2007, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute
Default nice job!

good crisp message
great job!

To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and not worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest!
Don't be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the ark and professionals the Titanic!

Old 05-23-2007, 04:03 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/26/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/19/2007
Compare
akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold
Default Posting with minor cleanup

Ran it through spell check and fixed typos and grammar.

--------------------------
Akred, I have copied your corrected version you just posted here into the first main post and removing message from this post to avoid confusion. Thanks for understanding. - logiclife.
--------------------------

Last edited by logiclife; 05-23-2007 at 04:14 AM.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:17 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute
Default Everyone:

This is the easiest action item. Please do this diligently. But please also dont skip the phone calls.

The phone calls are more important than emails as they have more impact.

Here is the thread for instructions for phone calls :

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4581

Old 05-23-2007, 04:58 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/26/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/19/2007
Compare
akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold akred is a splendid one to behold
Default Done

Sent to 2+10 senators.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:55 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/29/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/09/2007
Compare
tushbush is a jewel in the rough tushbush is a jewel in the rough tushbush is a jewel in the rough
Smile Sent the emails

Sent to 11 (one is common).

Cheers

Old 05-23-2007, 07:18 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/30/2011
Compare
thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute

SORRY Fellas, I cannot send this out unless the provision for H1b nenewal be added to it. I know IVs main concern is reg the backlogged GC cases, however, I would request that future of the H1b should also be addresed. I now feel that even contributing to the IV was a mistake because you are not taking a broader view of this issue. Please try to include the clauses affecting H1bs also in your letters. Particularly simple technical aspects like renewing H1b beyond the 6 years period is a MUST and one of the things that can be MOST easily achieved if asked for.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:30 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/30/2011
Compare
thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a bad feeling about IVs goals. Are you only concerned about getting the GC backlogs cleared? or are you going to be asking for H1b related issues to be addressed too? eg:- H1b renewal after the 6th year is an issue any moron could easily understand and pass. That has been there for many years and should continue for a successful H1b program. Please take care of that issue too. I dont see that included in the letter you have prepared to be sent out to all the senators. Please do that urgently. This is a very techinical issue and can easily be campaingned for. Pls dont ignore it.

If the number 3 in the letter has something to do with H1b renewal, pls reword it and make it clear, however, Idont believe its related to h1b renewal atall.

Please include atleast H1b renewal, one good thing about h1 that all of you have/currently are enjoying, to be included as one of your/our major demands. I am not asking for the H1b placement at different sites thing, that might be difficult to campaign for at this point of time, however, renewal needs to be done.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:54 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/30/2011
Compare

This is a letter that I sent to the compete america group
Dear Friend,

Let me first of all thank you for taking a strong stand for your highly skilled employees at this critical time. I am on an H1b visa and am a certified professional working in this country. I just wanted to ask you a few question. The biotech firms employ a lot of people on H1b visas. How come none of them, excluding Genentech, is included in the compete america group's letter to the congress. I strongly feel and pharmaceutical companies, contract research organizations, other biotech companies should also be included to stand for the H1b visa and green card issue for their employees. Seccond question I would like to ask is about the provision to renew the H1b in increment of 3 years each after the 6th year, which apparently has been taken off in this new CIR bill. This is a very technical issue and employers would not want to loose the trained employees after the 6th year period. It does not make any sense to refuse renewability of the H1b after 6 years since by that time that employee has already become an asset to the company or this nation. Please make sure to stand for that particular issue. H1b should be renewable in increments of 3 years each if the GC has been filed by the 5th year. Let me thank you for successfully campaigning for increasing the H1b numbers and hopefully this will enable me to move from my present acadamic position (Ast Prof at XXXXXX) to an Industry. Please let me know if there is anything we could do to help include the biotech firms/pharma into your group. Thanks and regards,

XXXX

XXXXX

XXXXX

Old 05-23-2007, 08:05 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/13/2011
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Regd 3 yr h1 extension ....

See , they started the 3 yr H1B extension only on basis of Retrogression...
and only if you have a approved 140... My Labor was more than 365 days old, so i got couple of 1 yr extension so far... Now my 140 is applied and once approved i'm hoping to apply for 3 yr extension...

But if there is no retrogression - why do i need the above 3 yr H1B ?? I believe the point that IV is addressing is the BURNING issue ... " GET RID OF RETROGRESSION" ....

thanks

Last edited by diptam; 05-23-2007 at 08:06 AM. Reason: typo

Old 05-23-2007, 08:07 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/04/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Compare
pmat is a name known to all pmat is a name known to all pmat is a name known to all pmat is a name known to all pmat is a name known to all pmat is a name known to all

Done... Sent emails to all.
I-485: RD 08/03/2007, AD 07/01/2010

Old 05-23-2007, 08:32 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
lonedesi is a splendid one to behold lonedesi is a splendid one to behold lonedesi is a splendid one to behold lonedesi is a splendid one to behold lonedesi is a splendid one to behold lonedesi is a splendid one to behold lonedesi is a splendid one to behold lonedesi is a splendid one to behold
Default Why do you behave like a jerk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomachan72
SORRY Fellas, I cannot send this out unless the provision for H1b nenewal be added to it. I know IVs main concern is reg the backlogged GC cases, however, I would request that future of the H1b should also be addresed. I now feel that even contributing to the IV was a mistake because you are not taking a broader view of this issue. Please try to include the clauses affecting H1bs also in your letters. Particularly simple technical aspects like renewing H1b beyond the 6 years period is a MUST and one of the things that can be MOST easily achieved if asked for.
You seem to be acting more in your interest than larger good of the members of this community. You have been quietly browsing this website all this time and suddenly became a member and started whining and complaining of what IV is doing. You don't need to get hyperactive and start freaking out. Relax and do what IV is requesting you to do at this time. There are a lot of items & issues IV is working on and they have prioritized some of them as very important which affects the larger members of this group. These important ones are what they are concentrating for now. If you do not like what IV is doing, you are more then welcome to move on and do what pleases you. But please stop discouraging & instigating other members with your stupid comments.

Last edited by lonedesi; 05-23-2007 at 09:39 AM.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:37 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Go IV

I am about to e-mail to the Senators based on the new letter.

Folks, but I have a simple question. Is the following provision addressed by IV when contacting the Senators or not ?

Placement of employees at client site(Consulting business practices): Under the proposed bill one cannot place H1B employees at another employer’s site (common in consulting business) whether you are H1B-dependent-employer or not. Today, the law places that restriction only on H1B-dependent-employers. This proposed law applies that restriction of outplacement on all employers across the board.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:41 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/15/2006
Chargeability
:
United Kingdom
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2007
Compare
indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold
Default The lost children

IV is trying to get rid of retrogression which is a great goal. However, this very thing has caused hundreds and thousands of children to age out. Would it be awful to add this into the matter. I know our lives have been put on hold waiting and waiting but some of our childrens lives have been thrown down the pan in that time. We will eventually have passage to permanent residency they will not.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:44 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute

SENT emails to all jsut now...Thanks IV for putting this 4 us. good luck 4 us