Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Draft for US degree holders

Dear Senator XXXXX,

I am writing with reference to the “Securing America’s Border Act. (S.2454)”, which is recently introduced in the senate by Senator Frist. I believe this bill is important and timely action from senate for improvement in country’s outdated and overloaded immigration system, so as to accommodate recent security, academic, scientific and workforce concerns. I am sure that passing of this bill will make US immigration system appropriate to the needs of the Border security, industry and academics in the 21st century.

I am writing with reference to the provisions in the section-405 and 406 of this bill, which applies to international advance degree graduates from US universities in the engineering, sciences and mathematics. I wish to draw your attention to a couple of points in the language in the provisions pertaining to international students in the section 405 (e) and 406(a)(1) of the current version of the bill, which if amended, will make it more effective and truer to the recommendations of the National Academies report from which it draws inspiration.

Section 405 of the bill proposes creation of a new student visa class “F-4” for international students who wish to enroll for advance degree studies in the US in the Engineering, Sciences and Mathematics. The bill makes available the choice to such advance degree graduates (admitted with F-4 Visa), at the end of their studies to remain in the US by adjusting status to permanent residency. This choice is available after they have proved their employability with one year of US employment. I believe this is one of the more important clauses in the bill that will help us to retain some of the best and brightest in the US, by removing them from the bureaucratic maze and 5-8 year long wait periods required currently to adjust status.

However, the language of the adjustment of status provision in section 405(e) bill appears to exclude recent advance degree graduates from US universities who recently graduated from US universities after studying on student visa (F-1). This provision also excludes current advance degree candidates enrolled in various US universities on student visas (F-1), from such adjustment of status benefits. Ignoring these two important categories of future scientist and engineers will deprive the US of the anticipated benefits of this provision of bill for the next 5-8 years, which is the time frame when any future F-4 advance degree graduates can be expected to enter the employment pool after completing their studies. In cutting edge science research, as well as in global competition for economic and scientific advances, where even a week or month can be too long, delaying actual effectiveness of this important provision of the bill for 5-8 years will very significantly diminish its potential benefits to the country, in the immediate future.

I suggest that the language in the bill be amended so that the proposed adjustment of status benefits in section 405(e) of the bill be extended to all individuals who can provide evidence of graduating from an accredited US university with a advance degree in Engineering, Science and Mathematics areas on student visa (F-1 or F-4) after 1st January, 2001 and subsequent US employment for at least 1 year in the area of their study. This amendment in section 405(e) of bill will make the proposals more compliant with the spirit of the National Academies recommendation.
I also feel that provision for exemption from numerical cap limitations made in section 406(a)(1) of the bill should extend to Advance Degree Graduates who Graduated from Accredited US Universities, after 1-year of US employment in area of their study.

In this global competition for best and brightest of the world above amendments in the section 408(e) and 409(a)(1) of the bill will help US industry, academics and research organizations to take advantage of these important provisions in bill from early date instead of waiting for 5-8 years for seeing real benefit from it. I strongly urge you to look into the details mentioned above and make appropriate amendment to the bill so as to make it more in line with the objectives of the National Academies report.

Thank you for your time.

Yours sincerely,

XXXXXXXX
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
China
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gmail has a spectacular aura about gmail has a spectacular aura about gmail has a spectacular aura about
Default non-US advanced degree holder

Hi,

For those who got non-US advanced degrees, would it be the same as US advanced degree holder?

Thanks!

Old 04-08-2006, 01:13 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/20/2005
Compare
pitha has a brilliant future pitha has a brilliant future pitha has a brilliant future pitha has a brilliant future pitha has a brilliant future pitha has a brilliant future pitha has a brilliant future pitha has a brilliant future pitha has a brilliant future pitha has a brilliant future pitha has a brilliant future

Dear Mr pmpforgc,
I am really annoyed by a specific content of the letter you want to fax. You want to request the bill be ammended for people with advanced degree after January 1st 2001, but what about people like me who graduated before January 2001, there are lot of people who have graduated before January 1 2001 who still dont have a green card. Try to include all people not exclude by picking a date. Please refrain from asking for people graduated only after january 1 2001.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpforgc
Dear Senator XXXXX,

I am writing with reference to the “Securing America’s Border Act. (S.2454)”, which is recently introduced in the senate by Senator Frist. I believe this bill is important and timely action from senate for improvement in country’s outdated and overloaded immigration system, so as to accommodate recent security, academic, scientific and workforce concerns. I am sure that passing of this bill will make US immigration system appropriate to the needs of the Border security, industry and academics in the 21st century.

I am writing with reference to the provisions in the section-405 and 406 of this bill, which applies to international advance degree graduates from US universities in the engineering, sciences and mathematics. I wish to draw your attention to a couple of points in the language in the provisions pertaining to international students in the section 405 (e) and 406(a)(1) of the current version of the bill, which if amended, will make it more effective and truer to the recommendations of the National Academies report from which it draws inspiration.

Section 405 of the bill proposes creation of a new student visa class “F-4” for international students who wish to enroll for advance degree studies in the US in the Engineering, Sciences and Mathematics. The bill makes available the choice to such advance degree graduates (admitted with F-4 Visa), at the end of their studies to remain in the US by adjusting status to permanent residency. This choice is available after they have proved their employability with one year of US employment. I believe this is one of the more important clauses in the bill that will help us to retain some of the best and brightest in the US, by removing them from the bureaucratic maze and 5-8 year long wait periods required currently to adjust status.

However, the language of the adjustment of status provision in section 405(e) bill appears to exclude recent advance degree graduates from US universities who recently graduated from US universities after studying on student visa (F-1). This provision also excludes current advance degree candidates enrolled in various US universities on student visas (F-1), from such adjustment of status benefits. Ignoring these two important categories of future scientist and engineers will deprive the US of the anticipated benefits of this provision of bill for the next 5-8 years, which is the time frame when any future F-4 advance degree graduates can be expected to enter the employment pool after completing their studies. In cutting edge science research, as well as in global competition for economic and scientific advances, where even a week or month can be too long, delaying actual effectiveness of this important provision of the bill for 5-8 years will very significantly diminish its potential benefits to the country, in the immediate future.

I suggest that the language in the bill be amended so that the proposed adjustment of status benefits in section 405(e) of the bill be extended to all individuals who can provide evidence of graduating from an accredited US university with a advance degree in Engineering, Science and Mathematics areas on student visa (F-1 or F-4) after 1st January, 2001 and subsequent US employment for at least 1 year in the area of their study. This amendment in section 405(e) of bill will make the proposals more compliant with the spirit of the National Academies recommendation.
I also feel that provision for exemption from numerical cap limitations made in section 406(a)(1) of the bill should extend to Advance Degree Graduates who Graduated from Accredited US Universities, after 1-year of US employment in area of their study.

In this global competition for best and brightest of the world above amendments in the section 408(e) and 409(a)(1) of the bill will help US industry, academics and research organizations to take advantage of these important provisions in bill from early date instead of waiting for 5-8 years for seeing real benefit from it. I strongly urge you to look into the details mentioned above and make appropriate amendment to the bill so as to make it more in line with the objectives of the National Academies report.

Thank you for your time.

Yours sincerely,

XXXXXXXX

Old 04-08-2006, 01:53 AM
Priority Date
:
May-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/22/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/07/2007
Compare
alpha_centauri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Dear Senator XXXXX,

Thank you for your time.

Yours sincerely,

XXXXXXXX
Excellent point, Pitha.

Pmpforgc, couple of comments on your letter

1) Regarding this paragraph:
"I suggest that the language in the bill be amended so that the proposed adjustment of status benefits in section 405(e) of the bill be extended to all individuals who can provide evidence of graduating from an accredited US university with a advance degree in Engineering, Science and Mathematics areas on student visa (F-1 or F-4) after 1st January, 2001 and subsequent US employment for at least 1 year in the area of their study."

Please do not unnecessarily restrict this benefit to apply after some arbitrary date such as 1st January, 2001. There are several folks (myself included) who have graduated with an advanced degree prior to this date and their labor applications are currently languishing in the Philadelphia Backlog Center. They will be unfairly excluded from this benefit. In my opinion, there is simply no need to state any such qualifying date.

2) Please carefully read the text of Section 405 (e):

"(2) STUDENT VISAS- Notwithstanding the requirement under paragraph (1)(C), an alien may file an application for adjustment of status under this section if--

(A) the alien has been issued a visa or otherwise provided nonimmigrant status under section 101(a)(15)(F)(iv), or would have qualified for such nonimmigrant status if section 101(a)(15)(F)(iv) had been enacted before such alien's graduation;

I believe the clause, "would have qualified for such nonimmigrant status if section 101(a)(15)(F)(iv) had been enacted before such alien's graduation", already covers past, current and future doctoral graduates. Specifying an arbitrary qualification date in your letter will unnecessarily cause more confusion.

Old 04-08-2006, 02:18 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Letter can be sent without date

I think letter can be sent without date, if all peoples feels so.

And if the provision already make adjustement of status benifit available from back date then I think we dont need to write any letter except for numerical cap exemption for advance degree holders from US university.

Someone needs to look in to legal language of the adjustement of status benefit and make sure that it is really applicable to all US advance/doctoral degree holders who graduated in PAST or will graduate soon.

Old 04-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
abimanyu is on a distinguished road
Default US advance doctoral degrees

I plan to make some adjustments to the letter and send it senators in my state. I have to point out that I have advanced degrees but they are not specifically related to science or math. However, I have made the same amount of contribution to the us economy as any advanced degree holder in stem areas.

cheers

Quote:
I think letter can be sent without date, if all peoples feels so.

And if the provision already make adjustement of status benifit available from back date then I think we dont need to write any letter except for numerical cap exemption for advance degree holders from US university.

Someone needs to look in to legal language of the adjustement of status benefit and make sure that it is really applicable to all US advance/doctoral degree holders who graduated in PAST or will graduate soon.