Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
seeker is on a distinguished road
Default URGENT: requires everyones attention

Guys, the immigration bill is back with a vengeance!

Remember that it repeals AC- 21. So if passed, even those with filed I 485 will not be able to change jobs after 6 months. Will be stuck with employer for years and years since this relief is temrary to be followed by severe retrogression.

We most carry on efforts to oppose this bill in present form, and get our provisions to increase visa numbers, and also to keep AC 21 alive.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2007, 11:23 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/31/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/31/2006
Compare
talktome is on a distinguished road
Default Great Bargain

IV CORE TEAM,

We are grateful for the leadership and efforts you have put in. Our best wishes are with you.

The sequence of events leading to the developments in the last few days have led me to believe that this is all an eye wash.

Bush dangled a carrot of $4.4 billion dollars to his republican counterparts to get his so called top priority domestic agenda i.e. CIR back to life. But the question arose where will he get all this money from.

Then they thought of a strategy of killing two birds with one stone. Why not make the dates current. Legal immigrants will flock the lines to apply I-485, EAD and AP. This way they will be happy to have what they were asking for i.e. file for AOS when Visa Numbers are not available. Business will also not put a lot of pressure on us.

We will get the required money from 500,000 legal immigrants waiting to file for their 485 (including spouses and children).

Then we will have CIR approved with stricter H1B regulations, may be revoke AC21 (not too sure about it).

I know it is better to have EAD/AP and be stuck in retrogression rather than be in retrogression without EAD/AP.

But I just fear that CIR will impose too many restrictions on us working on H1B requiring $5k for renewals and more money for EAD/AP.

Bottom line is "despite making the dates current and letting everybody file AOS, the core issue remains the same, there are just not enough Visa Number to clear the backlog". Does this means we will have another backlog called AOS backlog?

We trust IV Core 100% and appreciate their effort.

But this is one of the doubts in my mind. I hope someone from IV or gurus could alleviate the concerns I have.

Thanks

PS: This is my individual comments and are not to be associated with any partisan group. I have no intention of making anyone angry or get into any heated argument with anyone. Nor do I want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:34 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

The current Bush-Kennedy immigration bill is a train wreck and should be opposed by all. It is really bad for us. Guys wake up and oppose it.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:37 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/26/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
coolmanasip has much to be proud of coolmanasip has much to be proud of coolmanasip has much to be proud of coolmanasip has much to be proud of coolmanasip has much to be proud of coolmanasip has much to be proud of coolmanasip has much to be proud of coolmanasip has much to be proud of coolmanasip has much to be proud of

where does it talk about repealing AC21?....thats a disaster......anyway, I think this will pass........we can only work on getting our favorable ammendments in.......

Old 06-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rogerdepena is on a distinguished road

can someone post the particular provision repealing AC21, I can't find it. thanks.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:42 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
xyz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by talktome
IV CORE TEAM,

We are grateful for the leadership and efforts you have put in. Our best wishes are with you.

The sequence of events leading to the developments in the last few days have led me to believe that this is all an eye wash.

Bush dangled a carrot of $4.4 billion dollars to his republican counterparts to get his so called top priority domestic agenda i.e. CIR back to life. But the question arose where will he get all this money from.

Then they thought of a strategy of killing two birds with one stone. Why not make the dates current. Legal immigrants will flock the lines to apply I-485, EAD and AP. This way they will be happy to have what they were asking for i.e. file for AOS when Visa Numbers are not available. Business will also not put a lot of pressure on us.

We will get the required money from 500,000 legal immigrants waiting to file for their 485 (including spouses and children).

Then we will have CIR approved with stricter H1B regulations, may be revoke AC21 (not too sure about it).

I know it is better to have EAD/AP and be stuck in retrogression rather than be in retrogression without EAD/AP.

But I just fear that CIR will impose too many restrictions on us working on H1B requiring $5k for renewals and more money for EAD/AP.

Bottom line is "despite making the dates current and letting everybody file AOS, the core issue remains the same, there are just not enough Visa Number to clear the backlog". Does this means we will have another backlog called AOS backlog?

But this is one of the doubts in my mind. I hope someone from IV or gurus could alleviate the concerns I have.

Thanks

PS: This is my individual comments and are not to be associated with any partisan group. I have no intention of making anyone angry or get into any heated argument with anyone. Nor do I want to hurt anyone's feelings.

How many of us are aware that the fees USCIS receive in all these immigration related applications are used for protection of border? I now understand that how this 4.4 billion will be made available. May be I am wrong?

Old 06-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/18/2008
Chargeability
:
Sri Lanka
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
04/18/2008
Compare
Kodi has a spectacular aura about Kodi has a spectacular aura about Kodi has a spectacular aura about

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19076627/

Above artical mention Cantwell ammendmant

Old 06-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts

There is no conspiracy or motive in making PD current. It happened in past many times when demand for green card number decrease. Also VB predicts PD will go back in a few months. Infact most IV members wanted the provision to file I 485 when pd is not current and lobbied on Feb 2007. That is not needed atleast for a few months. Even if they repeal AC21 that will be applicable to new I485 filers not existing persons. So do not be so pessimistic and create fears. Atleast have some trust on system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talktome
IV CORE TEAM,

Thanks

Old 06-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12-12-2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12-15-2005
Compare
ArunAntonio is a jewel in the rough ArunAntonio is a jewel in the rough ArunAntonio is a jewel in the rough ArunAntonio is a jewel in the rough
Default Need to Know.

Looks like the bill is back ...

http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/

We have out work cutout for us. the article mentions that the senators get to bring in 20 amendments, I guess we need to find out what those amendments are and throw our weight behind the ones that affect us.

Folks, please stay in focus.. we need to be on top of this issue....

Can some one confirm about the repeals AC- 21 part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker
Guys, the immigration bill is back with a vengeance!

Remember that it repeals AC- 21. So if passed, even those with filed I 485 will not be able to change jobs after 6 months. Will be stuck with employer for years and years since this relief is temrary to be followed by severe retrogression.

We most carry on efforts to oppose this bill in present form, and get our provisions to increase visa numbers, and also to keep AC 21 alive.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/31/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/31/2006
Compare
talktome is on a distinguished road

I reiterate.. I have no intention to start an argument.

May be what Senthil1 says is correct. I am just saying that it might be one of the reasons. Believe me, I am one of the thousands of my friends who will benefit with this July VB.

But my main concern still remains the same. Making dates current don't make core issue go away.i.e. Numerical limits on the Visa Numbers.

As you said "Severe retrogression", this severity could be x number of years. I would love it to be 1-2 years but what if it is 5 years or more.

All I am saying is that "It is good that the dates have become current but we should not lose focus on the core issue"

I am sorry if I came out as being pessimistic. All I am saying is what might happen if CIR passes without any reprieve for legal immigrants like us.

Remember we all will be fingerprinted after submission of 485. So folks who were banking on becoming illegal if CIR passes will lose that oppurtunity too. Although I have that much self respect that I will return to my home country rather than live illegaly here.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Here is the section about AC 21 being repealed
Pg 240 of draft:

(2) Sections 106(a) and 106(b) of the American Competitiveness
3 in the Twenty-First Century Act of 2000 -- Immigration Services
4 and Infrastructure Improvements Act of 2000, Public Law 106-
5 313, are hereby repealed

We must vehemently oppose this.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

The concerns raised are very valid and we cannot turn a blind eye to the events happening. In the sudden burst of happiness we should not forget that the real problem 'retrogression' is not gone. CIR is very much in the picture and it has provisons that will hurt us. Lot of us will also realize now the pain of Namecheck, renewing EADs and of course the long backlogs of I485s. Let us not wait until after few months when visa dates will move back to realize that we are still not out of the mess. At that time it maybe too late for any new bill to pass. And if CIR passes in its current form, goes to the house and our members do not do anything, we will all have to wait for another 1.5 years for any new immigration bill to be taken up, if any. So let us not lose sight of the big battle in front of us. Let us take the current visa bulletin as a good respite for us after a tough battle on CIR in the last few weeks.

Let us also not forget our fellow members that are still stuck in BECs or have still not got their PERM labor yet. Let us not forget our members who by were unfortunate to restart their greencard process all over again after they discontinued their previous job. Let us not forget our members who had already applied for 485 few years ago and are still waiting for their greencards and do not know how this surge in 485s is going to affect everyone now. Each one of us has been and is going to be affected by retrogression in the months to come.

In order for us to continue this struggle, do continue with the support you have all given to IV and keep contactiing the media, lawmakers and your friends. And do not forget, in order to continue this mission we need funds too. Do continue your contributions so that we do not have to ask our members at the 11th hour or be in a situation in the coming months when we may have to cut down on our efforts at a critical time for lack of enough funds.

Please be watchful of all the events happening. Experienced members and members who have already filed their 485 please help others by answering their questions so that we can all quickly file our 485s and get back to the large scale community effort to get rid of retrogression.

Together we will succeed.

Thanks
IV team

Last edited by pappu; 06-15-2007 at 01:44 PM.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute
Default That affects H1 extensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker
Here is the section about AC 21 being repealed
Pg 240 of draft:

(2) Sections 106(a) and 106(b) of the American Competitiveness
3 in the Twenty-First Century Act of 2000 -- Immigration Services
4 and Infrastructure Improvements Act of 2000, Public Law 106-
5 313, are hereby repealed

We must vehemently oppose this.
Those 2 sections of AC21 act affect the H1 ext after 6 years. 106(a) and 106(b) are the sections that make H1 extensions possible after 6 years based on pending GC application. They are removing that and replacing it with new text that applies to the merits based system saying that after you have a pending GC petition in merits based system for 1 year, you can get 6th year h1 extension.

However, the problem is that point system goes into effect earliest on Oct 1 2008 and the they will stop accepting new 140 petitions as soon as the bill passes. Which would mean that if your 140 was not filed before May 15th (date of introduction of the bill), then you cannot use just the approved labor to get H1 extensions, since they repeal AC21's 2 provisions. Also, you can apply for merits system to qualify for extensions but merits system wont start accepting files before Oct 1 2008. There is a one year blackout period in employment based greencard filing between the bill signing and Oct 1 2008. During this year if you need H1 extensions you need to have a 140 that was filed before May 15th 2007. Otherwise you are done.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:10 PM
Priority Date
:
May-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Compare
GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold

Earlier the Employer could not cancel the I-485 petition after six months of filing. Even if there was a layoff, we had a chance to move to another job using EAD/AC21. What are the protections available now to I-485 filers after AC21 is repealed?

Old 06-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
nk2006 has a reputation beyond repute nk2006 has a reputation beyond repute nk2006 has a reputation beyond repute nk2006 has a reputation beyond repute nk2006 has a reputation beyond repute nk2006 has a reputation beyond repute nk2006 has a reputation beyond repute nk2006 has a reputation beyond repute nk2006 has a reputation beyond repute nk2006 has a reputation beyond repute nk2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCwaitforever
Earlier the Employer could not cancel the I-485 petition after six months of filing. Even if there was a layoff, we had a chance to move to another job using EAD/AC21. What are the protections available now to I-485 filers after AC21 is repealed?
AC21 is not repealed as a whole. Only two sections fo AC21 - 106(a) and 106(b) are proposed to be repealed. These two sections deal with h1B extensions and does not deal with job change after 180 days of 485. That provision is still good.

But we should still be concerned about the bill - there are too many issues that affect most of EB applicants. The biggest is the time gap between the old process and the new process; the fewer number of green cards allocated to EB's during first 5-8 years; the point system itself seems not that beneficial to skilled people (espcially with country quotas) as senators are touting it to be.