Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
2007-05-23
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
2007-07-02
Compare
nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by drirshad
Can IV try for a Bridge Legislation ...................

Tuesday, July 03, 2007
Bridge Legislation Update

HLG is still actively seeking Bridge Legislation. The purpose of the bridge is to provide a short-term fix to the current retrogression problem for Schedule A occupations. As many readers are aware we are one of the founding members of the Coalition to Improve Healthcare Staffing. The CTIHS is pleased to announce that in June it retained two prominent Washington lobbyists and consultants. The lobbyists are working 24/7, along with the AHA, to seek this goal.

If any immigration attorneys and/or healthcare stakeholders wish to participate in this effort and contribute funds to the effort, they should contact Chris Musillo (cmusillo@hammondlawfirm.com).

The biggest hurdle we have right now is general “immigration malaise” in Congress; no one wants to talk immigration at this point. Congress is on a short break for the American Independence Day. Many of the staffing companies and hospitals that make up the CTIHS have meetings set up with their Congressmen and Senators this week.
Lobbyists are working 24/7. Are you kidding me?

My ideal solution for this is to make this a hot button issue in the media and then try for legislation to recapture visa numbers and allow forwarding of visa numbers. That will help us go a long way.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
GCDream has a spectacular aura about GCDream has a spectacular aura about GCDream has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramus
http://digg.com/politics/No_July_4th..._Americans/who

got 156 so far..

We need more then this..
Dugg 159

http://digg.com/politics/No_July_4th..._Americans/who

Old 07-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
GCDream has a spectacular aura about GCDream has a spectacular aura about GCDream has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCDream
Comment also added

Old 07-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future
Question Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixstor
My ideal solution for this is to make this a hot button issue in the media and then try for legislation to recapture visa numbers and allow forwarding of visa numbers. That will help us go a long way.
Will it be possible to get emergency legislation to capture unused EB numbers for the past several years????

Is it possible to escape the radars of the likes of Durbin & Sanders?

Old 07-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold

Done..
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaca
Pleeeeeeeeease blog at Employment Based (EB) Skilled Immigration Applicants

Please put details. 1 liners will not cut it!

Old 07-03-2007, 10:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of
Default Of course not!!

Were you kidding????

No, really.... ?

Thanks for asking anyways. The "content" is covered by Creative Commons license.
Quote:
Originally Posted by test101
do you mind using what you wrote for emaling the media ?

thanks.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tikka is just really nice tikka is just really nice tikka is just really nice tikka is just really nice
Default Legal Workers Lose Chance At Green Cards

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/...ap3879453.html

Legal immigrants hoping to be first in line for employer-sponsored green cards lost time and money when the government suddenly announced Monday that no new applications would be taken until the fall, a lawyers group said.

Tens of thousands of people who work in the United States under employment visas and their families were affected by the change, said Crystal Williams, associate director for programs at the American Immigration Lawyers Association.

"There are people who flew to the United States so they could apply and had their families fly back. They paid attorney fees," Williams said.

The State Department announced last month that employment visa numbers were available for all people seeking employer-sponsored green cards, except unskilled workers. It sometimes takes years for applicants to get those numbers.

The announcement meant that as early as Monday, Citizenship and Immigration Services would begin accepting applications. The applications are hefty, requiring medical exams, a lot of documentation and the applicant's presence in the United States.

But an update on the State Department Web site posted Monday said 60,000 such numbers were no longer available because of "the sudden backlog reduction efforts by Citizenship and Immigration Services offices during the past month."

The department called the backlog reduction an "unexpected action" and said employment visa numbers would be available again Oct. 1.

The State Department has been flooded with passport applications since new rules went into effect in January requiring passports for air travelers returning from the same destinations. The resulting backlog has caused delays of up to three months for passports and ruined or delayed the travel plans of thousands of people.

A spokesman at the State Department declined to comment.

Williams said several workers within Citizenship and Immigration Services told her and other lawyers that the agency had staffers working through the weekend to resolve pending cases. She said several lawyers reported getting phone calls from the agency with questions about applications when normally that happens by mail.

Chris Rhatigan, spokeswoman for Citizenship and Immigration Services, denied the weekend work occurred or that there was a push to use up the visa numbers. She said the agency had pending cases from previous months.

The fee to apply for a green card increases July 30 from $395 to $1,010, including a fingerprinting fee.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
2007-05-23
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
2007-07-02
Compare
nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal
Will it be possible to get emergency legislation to capture unused EB numbers for the past several years????

Is it possible to escape the radars of the likes of Durbin & Sanders?
No, it will not be possible to escape the radars of Durbin, Grassley or Sanders. The key is to get support from people like Kennedy. I know it is very difficult because kennedy is very pissed off with the failure of CIR. Kennedy will only consider this, if this really becomes a full blown issue beyond a certain magnitude. Then we have people like Hagel, Lieberman, Cornyn, cantwell who supported bigger amendments than this. It is a matter of making this a bigger/biggest issue related with USCIS and immigration.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
2007-05-23
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
2007-07-02
Compare

Quote:
I am trying an outline for sending to media + lawmakers + ...

The following is a very rough draft without reading some of the letters posted in the thread. I will read the posts tomorrow and polish it by tomorrow evening. I will need everyone's input since I don't know all the issues.

What happened
  • USCIS announced at the time the forms were due.
  • Applicants started filling forms 2-3 weeks before July 2.
  • Applicants changed their schedules to submit forms.
Advantages of EAD + AP
Don't know all!
  • Travel without visa -> saves Embassy overhead.
  • Spouse can work.
  • Can switch job.
Why does it hurt
  • Medical will not be valid after 1 year.
  • Fees more then doubling
  • Name checking (which can take 1+ year) done in parallel with waiting for GC #.
  • Load balancing for USCIS.
  • USCIS which is supported 90% by application fee needs to care for applicants.
  • Very little chance of legislative relief for a looong time.
Excellent,

I am planning to come up with a format for calling key senators and congress men on Thursday morning. Lets do this. Mean while please keep digging and blogging.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold

Please give input to Mecaca on this so he can come with good template that we can use to send email to reporters..

Every one please give your thoughts/input on this.

Quote:
I am trying an outline for sending to media + lawmakers + ...

The following is a very rough draft without reading some of the letters posted in the thread. I will read the posts tomorrow and polish it by tomorrow evening. I will need everyone's input since I don't know all the issues.

What happened
  • USCIS announced at the time the forms were due.
  • Applicants started filling forms 2-3 weeks before July 2.
  • Applicants changed their schedules to submit forms.
Advantages of EAD + AP
Don't know all!
  • Travel without visa -> saves Embassy overhead.
  • Spouse can work.
  • Can switch job.
Why does it hurt
  • Medical will not be valid after 1 year.
  • Rejected June filers can not file.
  • June filers did not file because they thought they will file in July.
  • Fees more then doubling
  • Name checking (which can take 1+ year) done in parallel with waiting for GC #.
  • Load balancing for USCIS.
  • USCIS which is supported 90% by application fee needs to care for applicants.
  • Very little chance of legislative relief for a looong time.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
China
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GC_sufferer is on a distinguished road
Default Suggestion

We should ask Congress to postpone the July 30th fee increase while it studies how USCIS can function year round with the same efficiency that it showed in the last two weeks of June.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

This is strickly media drive thread.. please only post related to media drive..

Thanks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC_sufferer
We should ask Congress to postpone the July 30th fee increase while it studies how USCIS can function year round with the same efficiency that it showed in the last two weeks of June.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tikka is just really nice tikka is just really nice tikka is just really nice tikka is just really nice
Default Please Contribute funds to Immigration Voice.

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/sh...8755#post98755

Immigration Voice encourages all members to help AILF/AILA's potential lawsuit by joining them as plaintiffs and contribute funds to Immigration Voice. We will actively help AILF or other organizations in this lawsuit to force USCIS/DOS to compensate for :

1. Financial and other damages caused due to manipulation of Visa bulletins out of order.
2. Violation of federal regulations and precedents.

A victory in such a potential lawsuit could in effect may either force USCIS to accept the 485 petitions in July and accept the ones it may deny/return in July.

The outcome of lawsuit cannot be guaranteed but USCIS and DOS are certainly facing a tough fight from us as well as from AILA and like minded organizations.

Please contribute funds as Immigration Voice would need funds to finance an expensive lawsuit against USCIS/DOS should it decide to actively participate in a class action lawsuit.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramus
This is strickly media drive thread.. please only post related to media drive..

Thanks..
sorry

this one time pls allow us to post contribution thread here..

Old 07-03-2007, 10:36 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
TomPlate is infamous around these parts TomPlate is infamous around these parts TomPlate is infamous around these parts TomPlate is infamous around these parts TomPlate is infamous around these parts TomPlate is infamous around these parts TomPlate is infamous around these parts

Can we organize a skype conference chat. Please let me know.