Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future
Default Macacca and Pappu

I have drafted a letter:

Dear Reporter/ Senator/ Congressman,

I am an immigrant who entered this country legally. I’ve been waiting for my US permanent resident visa -also known as green card for the past several years along with 500,000 other educated, highly skilled employment based (EB) immigrants. Many of us have been waiting for our turn to get the green card for 5-10 years while consistently abiding by all the laws of this country. Such long delays are due to tortuous and confusing paper work, back logs due to various quotas and processing delays at US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).

Several categories of EB immigrant visa numbers have been unavailable (“retrogressed”) since the fall of 2005. Because our immigrant petitions are tied to the sponsoring employer, for many of us these delays have led to indentured servitude. Our professional prospects, job mobility and potential opportunities for entrepreneurship have been shattered.

For the past several decades, the US Department of State (DOS) has been publishing advisories known as visa bulletins once a month to announce the availability of immigrant .visa numbers. On June 13, 2007, after a gap of nearly two years, DOS announced that all EB visa numbers would be “current” for the month of July. This meant, irrespective of our “priority date”, all of us were made eligible to apply for some interim immigration benefits. This “priority date” refers to the date when our labor certification (documentation to verifying no US citizen worker was available for a given job) had been filed.

This announcement by DOS on 6/13/2007 would not have led to immediate green card for most of us; but at least it would have ensured us interim benefits such as job mobility, some freedom from the employer, work authorization for our spouses and a travel authorization known as “advance parole”. This authorization would allow us to travel outside US without fear of not being able to re-enter the country.

We spent thousands of dollars in legal fees, immigration medical exams, vaccinations, blood tests, x-rays and getting various supporting documents ready to file our immigrant petitions to USCIS. It has been an agonizing two weeks for us. Some of us to had to fly in our spouses from our native countries. To our shock and dismay, on the morning of July 2nd 2007, USCIS announced that EB visa numbers were not available and all our petitions would be rejected. Within a span of 2 weeks, to be precise -in 12 working days- USCIS claims to have approved 60,000 EB immigrant visa petitions. This unprecedented rapid action of USCIS has led to exhaustion of all the available visa numbers for this fiscal year. Meanwhile it is prognosticated that in the next fiscal year which begins on October 1, 2007 our plight and delays would actually worsen.

Interestingly USCIS has never processed so many applications this fast, and it is unclear why they did not convey this potential exhaustion of visa numbers to DOS before June 13, 2007.

For the legal skilled immigrants this has been a rather traumatizing and disheartening experience.

We sincerely seek immediate congressional/ legislative remedial measures which would
(1)Reduce the enormous backlogs of green card petitions of legal skilled immigrants
(2)Ensure and enable USCIS not to reject our immigrant visa petitions and give us interim benefits of a pending immigrant visa petition.

We make this sincere request on this Independence Day with the hope that people who played by the rules will be rewarded.

Yours Sincerely,
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tikka is just really nice tikka is just really nice tikka is just really nice tikka is just really nice
Default Digg It

http://digg.com/politics/Rep_Lofgren..._Visa_Bulletin

please DIGG

Thank you

Old 07-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future
Default The US Govt does a number on high skilled immigrants!

Here's my take for reporters/commentators - Request for review and feedback

Dear Sir/Madam:

I am writing to you with regards to the predicament of the high skilled immigrant community in the United States, waiting patiently for their Green Card. I understand that you have been closely following the immigration debates and thought you may be interested in discussing among your readers and audience the latest volte-face by the US government.

At present there are hundreds of thousands of high skilled law abiding individuals currently residing in the United States, whose “employment based” petition to immigrate has been approved by the USCIS, of the Department of Homeland Security. Due to the arbitrarily set limitation on the number of skilled immigrants admitted each year, and the severe backlogs in processing cases, these immigrants cannot adjust their status to permanent residence.

On June 13th the Department of State issued its monthly Visa Bulletin inviting “all” these high skilled immigrants to file their application for the final stage of the Green Card process, beginning July 2nd. This sent a positive message to the immigrant community who, after years of agonizing wait, finally felt closer to realizing their American dream.

The immigrant community, and their employers, invested valuable time and money on preparing the application forms, getting a medical exam and procuring supporting documents so that their application could reach the USCIS on time. News papers and journals around the world covered interesting stories of how parents and other family members were searching for birth certificates, immunization records, affidavits, etc so that their emigrant family member could have a better life in the United States.

The USCIS, on the other hand, worked so hard through the month of June that it approved about 60,000 cases for adjustment of status, thereby using up all the immigrant visa numbers available for the current fiscal year. It is reported that the service approved approximately 18,000 cases on the last day of June! The Department of State, who is responsible for making the visas available, was forced to issue a revised bulletin on the morning of July 2nd to indicate that no more visas will be available for this fiscal year. As per policy, if no visas are available for the fiscal year, the USCIS stops accepting applications!

The end result of this turn of events is that for the latter half of the month of June, the immigrant community spent hundreds of millions of dollars for their application - on hiring lawyers, taking unnecessary immunization shots, having family members run from pillar to post to collect old documents, only to hear the USCIS announce on July 2nd that it was all for nothing.

It is hard to believe that when the Department of State issued its Visa Bulletin in June, it did not consider the amount of pressure the USCIS would come under in July. The USCIS on the other hand, could have certainly discussed the Visa Bulletin with the Department of State so that a limited number of applications would be accepted in July.
The fact that it took eight months for the USCS to approve 66000 applications, and just the month of June to approve 60000 indicates two things – one that it intentionally preempted the avalanche of cases in the month of July, and second its complaints about lack of resources to adjudicate backlogged cases do not seem true. If the USCIS was intentionally working in over drive to avoid accepting cases in July, why did it not share this information with the department of state and request a revised Visa Bulletin?

The immigrant community is extremely upset with this cruel joke played out by the Department of State and the USCIS. It is yet another indication that despite our contribution to this country, we are not welcome. Unfortunately, we don’t have a vote, and therefore cannot bring about a change without your help. These callous actions should not go unnoticed; the American citizenry must demand for transparency in its government’s functions.

$$$ Contributions:
$560 in one time contributions

Last edited by amsgc; 07-03-2007 at 11:49 PM.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future
Default correction

documentation >to should have been documentation verifying

Old 07-03-2007, 11:44 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2006
Compare
nc14 is on a distinguished road
Default 198

GO IV GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka

Old 07-04-2007, 12:01 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold
Default Its on Nytimes

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/04/us/04visas.html

Old 07-04-2007, 12:02 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tikka is just really nice tikka is just really nice tikka is just really nice tikka is just really nice
Default U.S. Withdraws Offer of 60,000 Job-Based Visas, Angering Immigration Lawyers

Immigration lawyers raised unusually irate protests yesterday after the State Department and the immigration service abruptly withdrew tens of thousands of job-based visas they had offered last month to foreign professionals hoping to become permanent residents in the United States.

The outcry was provoked by a terse announcement on Monday in which the State Department said it would not grant any more visas for the 2007 fiscal year to foreigners applying to become permanent residents based on their job skills. That notice reversed one the department had issued on June 13 announcing a two-month window starting July 2 for aspiring, high-skilled immigrants from around the world to present applications for visas known as green cards.

The State Department said the 60,000 visas it had expected to offer would no longer be available because of “sudden backlog reduction efforts” by Citizenship and Immigration Services, the federal agency that processes applications for the visas offered by the department.

In a statement yesterday, the American Immigration Lawyers Association accused the two agencies of perpetrating a “hoax” and a “bait and switch” against hopeful legal immigrants who played by the book.

“Here people followed the rules and did everything right, yet without warning or explanation the door was slammed in their faces,” said Kathleen Campbell Walker, the president of the association.

To apply, immigrants must undergo medical examinations and assemble documents to prove their job skills and show that a United States employer has sponsored them. Foreigners must be in the United States when they present their applications, which are processed on a first-come, first-served basis.

Because of backlogs for employment-based visas, foreigners have had to wait many years just to be allowed to file their applications.

Thousands of medical and technology professionals, including many working here on temporary visas, scrambled for weeks to get their documents together, in some cases canceling travel plans, in order to file their applications on Monday, the first day of the window. The State Department and the immigration agency closed the window without accepting a single application.

“I am concerned that such action may violate the law and could threaten the integrity of our immigration system,” Representative Zoe Lofgren, Democrat of California who is chairwoman of the House Judiciary subcommittee on immigration, wrote in letters yesterday to Michael Chertoff, the secretary of homeland security, and Condoleezza Rice, the secretary of state. Ms. Lofgren warned that the federal government could face costly litigation because of its change of course.

The State Department said it would begin accepting applications on Oct. 1 for 2008 visas. On July 30, the immigration agency will raise its processing fees by an average of 66 percent.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:03 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Keep On Digging

Old 07-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramus
Just sent her a thank you note and my letter above.

$$$ Contributions:
$560 in one time contributions

Old 07-04-2007, 12:09 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold ramus is a splendid one to behold

Cool... Please put her contact email so others can send her email too..
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsgc
Just sent her a thank you note and my letter above.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:09 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default 213 Digs

and counting...

Old 07-04-2007, 12:16 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Digg Digg And More Diggs

http://digg.com/politics/U_S_Withdra...ion_Lawyer/who

Old 07-04-2007, 12:18 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
amar123 is infamous around these parts amar123 is infamous around these parts amar123 is infamous around these parts amar123 is infamous around these parts amar123 is infamous around these parts amar123 is infamous around these parts amar123 is infamous around these parts amar123 is infamous around these parts amar123 is infamous around these parts amar123 is infamous around these parts amar123 is infamous around these parts
Default DIGG link on the Visa scandal

http://digg.com/politics/USCIS_Visa_scandal

Guys, we are all computer friendly unlike our previous generation,lets use the internet to the fullest.

Please dig the link so ppl understand the scenario and making the news sensational but true helps!! Please add your comments to the blog ,hopefully, comments not 2 frustrated or impolite. Remember we claim to be legal immigrants,lets show some refinement and class

Last edited by amar123; 07-04-2007 at 12:22 AM.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:19 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

IF WE GET 100 digs on the ny times it will stay on most popular for a while.
Also, you can DIGG the comments!!

Old 07-04-2007, 12:21 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Sent U A Pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amar123
http://digg.com/politics/USCIS_Visa_scandal

Guys, we are all computer friendly unlike our previous generation,lets use the internet to the fullest.

Please dig the link so ppl understand the scenario and making the news sensational but true helps!! Please add your comments to the blog ,hopefully,not 2 frustrated
pls check...