Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Chargeability
:
Brazil
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Compare
Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future
Default The two mistake made by DOS/CIS.

Everyone blaming CIS/DOS needs to understand some basics behind this mess. Before going to conclude anything, first, one should read all the ombudsman reports for last 3 or 4 years. Former INS or current USCIS’s functions and operations were not questionable and not known to public till ombudsman office was established. Ombudsman has helped customers and keep helping to improve efficiency of CIS. Ombudsman main concern (or goal) have been over the 4 years are

1. Primarily reducing backlogs in any application type particularly 485 and timely approval of any application.

2. Abolish the need for interim benefits like EAD, AP etc. If they approve 485 in 6 months, then most of us do not require EAD and AP.

3. Reduce the wastage of EB visas, as unused EB visas can not be carried over to next year (use it or lose it). Since 1992, about 200,000 EB visas were lost permanently. In 2003 alone, they issued only 64,000 EB visas and lost 88,000.

The recent report to congress, the ombudsman scolded the CIS left and right for its inefficiency and highlighted how many EB visas were lost for ever, in last 10 years despite the very heavy demand for employment based green cards. Based on his report, both CIS and DOS try to obey the direction of ombudsman and modifying the 485 adjudication procedure. The reason for loss of EB visas in previous years not only due to inefficiency in processing the 485s on time, it is also due to lengthy background check delay by FBI, where USCIS has no control. For example, in 2003 they could approve about 64,000 485s only. It is partially due to USCIS inefficiency and partially due to lengthy FBI check. There are 300,000 (AOS+ Naturalization applicants) cases are pending with FBI for name check. Out of which, about 70,000 cases are pending more than 2 years. Out of 300,000 victims of name check delay, how many are really threat to the country? Perhaps none or may be few! Remember that lot of Indians also victims of name check and all the victims of name check delay already living in USA.

The big problem is the timing when USCIS takes the visa number for a 485 applicant. Till 1982, INS took visa number for a 485 applicant as soon as they receive the application. Visa number assigned to a 485 applicant without processing his/her application. He/She may not be a qualified applicant to approve 485. Still they assign to them. If they found, the applicant is ineligible, they suppose to return the number back to DOS. However, this practice was modified after 1982. USCIS is taking visa number only at the time of approval of 485, after processing the 485 for a lengthy period. For some people, particularly victims of name check, 485 processing time vary between 2 to 5 years. Though, it is a good practice it is not the ideal or efficient process, due to name check delay. Let us assume about 150,000 are victim of name check in 2003. If they assigned all the numbers to these 150,000 applicants at the time they filed 485, the 88,000 visa numbers might have not been lost in 2003. Now what happens, those who filed 485 in 2003 (victim of name check delay) will take EB numbers from 2007 or 2008 quota, if FBI clears his/her file in 2007 or 2008. This will push back those who are going to file 485 in 2007 or 2008.

That why, ombudsman in his 2007 yearly report to Congress recommended to practice the old way of assigning visa number to 485 applicants, to minimize the loss of visa numbers.

Now lets come to July Visa bulletin mess.

Because of tight holding of visa cutoff dates for EB3 and EB2 for the first 8 months of 2007 (From Oct 2006 to May 2007) USCIS approved only 66,000 485s. For the next 4 months they have about 60K to 70K numbers available. If they approve the pending 485s with slower speed or old cut off dates, there is a potential estimated loss of 40,000 EB visas by Sep 2007. Thats why, based on ombudsman recommendation, DOS moved considerably the cut off date for June. When they took inventory in May, there are about 40,000 documentarily qualified 485 applications were pending due to non-availability of visa numbers. The “documentarily qualified 485 applications” mean the application filed long time back and processed by USCIS and cleared the FBI name and criminal check, and found eligible for green card. Apart from 40,000 documentarily qualified 485 applications, there is thousands of 485 applications (documentarily not yet qualified) pending due to name check. When DOS checked with USCIS they found only 40,000 documentarily qualified 485 applications (in all EB categories put together) are pending. However, the available visas are more than 40,000 (60to 70K). Then they made with out consulting properly with USCIS they made “current” for all EB categories. This is how they determine “current” or “over-subscribed” and how they establish cutoff dates.

 If there are sufficient numbers in a particular category to satisfy all reported documentarily qualified demand, the category is considered “Current.”

 Whenever the total of documentarily qualified applicants in a category exceeds the supply of numbers available for allotment for the particular month, the category is considered to be “oversubscribed” and a visa availability cut-off date is established.

There is nothing wrong with DOS to make all categories “current” for a July bulletin as per they definition of demand vs supply estimation to meet the numerical limitations per year. Perhaps the DOS did not aware of other impact of making all categories “current” ie fresh guys entering into I-485 race. Because of “current” there will be additional tons and tons of new filings. The rough estimation is about 500K to 700K new 485s and same amount of EAD and AP applications will be filed in July. But the available number is just 60K, and there are already 40K documentarily qualified 485s are pending more than 6 months to 3 years to take the numbers from remaining 60K pool. That leaves just 20K to fresh 485 filings. If 700K new 485 filed in July, it will choke the system. People have to live only in EAD and AP for next 5 to 10 years.

For example, an EB3-Indian whose LC approved through fast PERM on July 30th 2007, can apply 140 and 485 on July 31st 2007 as per July visa bulletin. For his PD, it will take another 10 years for the approval of 485. During this 10 year period, he/she has to live in EAD and AP and need to go for finger print every 15 month.

Therefore by making “current” for all EB categories is a billion dollar mistake by both DOS and CIS first part.. Another mistake is timing of rectifying mistake. USCIS and DOS and law firms should have discussed immediately about the potential chaos about making current and rectified move the cut-off to reasonable period to accommodate additional 20K 485s. If they modified the VB, with in couple of days after July 13, then there wont be a this much stress, time and wastage of money.

There is nothing wrong in issuing additional advisory notice or modified visa bulletin to control the usage of visa numbers. The only mistake both USCIS and DOS is made is the timing of issuance of modified visa bulletin or advisory notice. It indicates poor transparency in the system and bad customer service. Now, they used all 140K visas this year. Assigning remaining 20K visa numbers to already pending 485s which are not yet documentarily (name check delayed cases) qualified is not the violation of law. It was old practice. In fact, ombudsman recommends it. They have the trump card which is Ombudsman report and recommendations. Therefore they are immune to lawsuit. Therefore, filing the law-suit is not going to help. The only two mistakes I see is 1) making all categories as “current” in June 13 and second is modifying VB only on July 2.

My recommendation is to IV is capitalize the situation in constructive way. Law suit only bring media attention with the expense of money and time. The constructive approach is getting an immediate interim relief by legislation to recapture unused visas in previous years to balance the supply vs demand difference.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ksiddaba is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the information. It's helpful to understand the ombudsman role. However, it still remains a violation of the law to pull VISA numbers without name check being done, since it has not been approved by Congress, although as you point our, the ombudsman did report to Congress along those lines.

IT is also incompetence, on the part of DOS not to understand the implication of making all categories current.

The question of whether a lawsuit is the most effective method will have to be seen. It may bring enough media/ political attention to the issue at hand so that legislation may become possible.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-01
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
god_bless_you is on a distinguished road

So you are saying that They assigned Visa numbers to the existing cases before processing and approval the cases are not yet approved and we can expect approvals in near future once name check etc are cleared ??

Old 07-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
lordoftherings has a spectacular aura about lordoftherings has a spectacular aura about
Default Agreed

Yes, if all this is true, then going the lawsuit way is not the right step. They should now use this to force USCIS make some changes. One of them would allowing to file I-485 right after I-140 approval irrespective of whatever the PD is. When PDs become current the processing will start. This change will give releif to a lot of victims and future filers.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
va_il is on a distinguished road

Details behind your theory and their source information please

Old 07-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future

Ramba - Excellent post!

The lawsuit will bring to light some irregularities, and will probably encourage USCIS to be more responsible.
But the way out of our misery is still congressional intervention - increase in visa numbers, skill bill, or additional provisions for people with an approved immigrant petition.

$$$ Contributions:
$560 in one time contributions

Last edited by amsgc; 07-04-2007 at 08:56 PM.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future
Lightbulb Thanks For The Post

EXCELLENT ANALYSIS. STILL THERE ARE PROBLEMS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramba
The rough estimation is about 500K to 700K new 485s and same amount of EAD and AP applications will be filed in July.
1. ARE YOU SURE THIS NUMBER IS ACCURATE? 700K? SEEMS TO BE EXAGGERATED.

Quote:

When they took inventory in May, there are about 40,000 documentarily qualified 485 applications were pending due to non-availability of visa numbers. The “documentarily qualified 485 applications” mean the application filed long time back and processed by USCIS and cleared the FBI name and criminal check, and found eligible for green card.
2.IF THESE 40K WERE OTHERWISE QULAIFIED WHY WERE THEY SITTING ON THEM UNTIL MID-JUNE ....TO START WITH? IF THEY WERE SO EAGER TO FOLLOW THE OMBUDSMAN'S GUIDELINES WHY WERE THEY SO SLOW IN USING UP THE VISA NUMBERS UNTIL MID JUNE?

Quote:
However, the available visas are more than 40,000 (60to 70K). Then they made with out consulting properly with USCIS they made “current” for all EB categories. This is how they determine “current” or “over-subscribed” and how they establish cutoff dates.
3.MORE PRECISE DESCRIPTION WOULD BE THEY WERE COMPLETELY RECKLESS..GIVE A S+I& ABOUT HOW MUCH THEIR ACTIONS AFFECT THE CUSTOMERS.

Quote:

For example, an EB3-Indian whose LC approved through fast PERM on July 30th 2007, can apply 140 and 485 on July 31st 2007 as per July visa bullet. For his PD, it will take another 10 years for the approval of 485. During this 10 year period, he/she has to live in EAD and AP and need to go for finger print every 15 month.
4.OK..... WHICH PART OF THIS AFFECTED THE STAFF AT USCIS... THE FACT THAT MANY OF US WILL ONLY HAVE EAD FOR 10 YRS OR THE FACT THAT MORE EAD RENEWALS MEANS MORE CUMBERSOME WORK FOR THEM? I'M AFRAID IT IS THE LATER.

Quote:
Now, they used all 140K visas this year.
5.AREN'T THEY REQUIRED BY LAW TO SPREAD THE NUMBERS FOR EACH QUARTER? DON'T THEY HAVE LIMITATIONS ON HOW MUCH THEY CAN USE FOR EACH MONTH ETC?

Quote:
The constructive approach is getting an immediate interim relief by legislation to recapture unused visas in previous years to balance the supply vs demand difference.
6.I AGREE. THIS COULD BE THE ONLY >POTENTIAL
THERE IS NO OTHER CHOICE OTHER THAN TRYING..

Old 07-04-2007, 09:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
delhiguy has a spectacular aura about delhiguy has a spectacular aura about

Excellent

I agree with you 100 % , I believe having excessive media coverage and lawsuits , would bring the GC number and process in the open , and most americans would oppose the GC as they oppose H1B.

If i was a american i would surely be happy with USCIS/DOS creating so much trouble for the immigrants to my country , who i believe are taking my job.

Quote:
Everyone blaming CIS/DOS needs to understand some basics behind this mess. Before going to conclude anything, first, one should read all the ombudsman reports for last 3 or 4 years. Former INS or current USCIS’s functions and operations were not questionable and not known to public till ombudsman office was established. Ombudsman has helped customers and keep helping to improve efficiency of CIS. Ombudsman main concern (or goal) have been over the 4 years are

1. Primarily reducing backlogs in any application type particularly 485 and timely approval of any application.

2. Abolish the need for interim benefits like EAD, AP etc. If they approve 485 in 6 months, then most of us do not require EAD and AP.

3. Reduce the wastage of EB visas, as unused EB visas can not be carried over to next year (use it or lose it). Since 1992, about 200,000 EB visas were lost permanently. In 2003 alone, they issued only 64,000 EB visas and lost 88,000.

The recent report to congress, the ombudsman scolded the CIS left and right for its inefficiency and highlighted how many EB visas were lost for ever, in last 10 years despite the very heavy demand for employment based green cards. Based on his report, both CIS and DOS try to obey the direction of ombudsman and modifying the 485 adjudication procedure. The reason for loss of EB visas in previous years not only due to inefficiency in processing the 485s on time, it is also due to lengthy background check delay by FBI, where USCIS has no control. For example, in 2003 they could approve about 64,000 485s only. It is partially due to USCIS inefficiency and partially due to lengthy FBI check. There are 300,000 (AOS+ Naturalization applicants) cases are pending with FBI for name check. Out of which, about 70,000 cases are pending more than 2 years. Out of 300,000 victims of name check delay, how many are really threat to the country? Perhaps none or may be few! Remember that lot of Indians also victims of name check and all the victims of name check delay already living in USA.

The big problem is the timing when USCIS takes the visa number for a 485 applicant. Till 1982, INS took visa number for a 485 applicant as soon as they receive the application. Visa number assigned to a 485 applicant without processing his/her application. He/She may not be a qualified applicant to approve 485. Still they assign to them. If they found, the applicant is ineligible, they suppose to return the number back to DOS. However, this practice was modified after 1982. USCIS is taking visa number only at the time of approval of 485, after processing the 485 for a lengthy period. For some people, particularly victims of name check, 485 processing time vary between 2 to 5 years. Though, it is a good practice it is not the ideal or efficient process, due to name check delay. Let us assume about 150,000 are victim of name check in 2003. If they assigned all the numbers to these 150,000 applicants at the time they filed 485, the 88,000 visa numbers might have not been lost in 2003. Now what happens, those who filed 485 in 2003 (victim of name check delay) will take EB numbers from 2007 or 2008 quota, if FBI clears his/her file in 2007 or 2008. This will push back those who are going to file 485 in 2007 or 2008.

That why, ombudsman in his 2007 yearly report to Congress recommended to practice the old way of assigning visa number to 485 applicants, to minimize the loss of visa numbers.

Because of tight holding of visa cutoff dates for EB3 and EB2 for the first 8 months of 2007 (From Oct 2006 to May 2007) USCIS approved only 66,000 485s. For the next 4 months they have about 60K to 70K numbers available. If they approve the pending 485s with slower speed or old cut off dates, there is a potential estimated loss of 40,000 EB visas by Sep 2007. Thats why, based on ombudsman recommendation, DOS moved considerably the cut off date for June. When they took inventory in May, there are about 40,000 documentarily qualified 485 applications were pending due to non-availability of visa numbers. The “documentarily qualified 485 applications” mean the application filed long time back and processed by USCIS and cleared the FBI name and criminal check, and found eligible for green card. Apart from 40,000 documentarily qualified 485 applications, there is thousands of 485 applications (documentarily not yet qualified) pending due to name check. When DOS checked with USCIS they found only 40,000 documentarily qualified 485 applications (in all EB categories put together) are pending. However, the available visas are more than 40,000 (60to 70K). Then they made with out consulting properly with USCIS they made “current” for all EB categories. This is how they determine “current” or “over-subscribed” and how they establish cutoff dates.

 If there are sufficient numbers in a particular category to satisfy all reported documentarily qualified demand, the category is considered “Current.”

 Whenever the total of documentarily qualified applicants in a category exceeds the supply of numbers available for allotment for the particular month, the category is considered to be “oversubscribed” and a visa availability cut-off date is established.

There is nothing wrong with DOS to make all categories “current” for a July bulletin as per they definition of demand vs supply estimation to meet the numerical limitations per year. Perhaps the DOS did not aware of other impact of making all categories “current” ie fresh guys entering into I-485 race. Because of “current” there will be additional tons and tons of new filings. The rough estimation is about 500K to 700K new 485s and same amount of EAD and AP applications will be filed in July. But the available number is just 60K, and there are already 40K documentarily qualified 485s are pending more than 6 months to 3 years to take the numbers from remaining 60K pool. That leaves just 20K to fresh 485 filings. If 700K new 485 filed in July, it will choke the system. People have to live only in EAD and AP for next 5 to 10 years.

For example, an EB3-Indian whose LC approved through fast PERM on July 30th 2007, can apply 140 and 485 on July 31st 2007 as per July visa bulletin. For his PD, it will take another 10 years for the approval of 485. During this 10 year period, he/she has to live in EAD and AP and need to go for finger print every 15 month.

Therefore by making “current” for all EB categories is a billion dollar mistake by both DOS and CIS first part.. Another mistake is timing of rectifying mistake. USCIS and DOS and law firms should have discussed immediately about the potential chaos about making current and rectified move the cut-off to reasonable period to accommodate additional 20K 485s. If they modified the VB, with in couple of days after July 13, then there wont be a this much stress, time and wastage of money.

There is nothing wrong in issuing additional advisory notice or modified visa bulletin to control the usage of visa numbers. The only mistake both USCIS and DOS is made is the timing of issuance of modified visa bulletin or advisory notice. It indicates poor transparency in the system and bad customer service. Now, they used all 140K visas this year. Assigning remaining 20K visa numbers to already pending 485s which are not yet documentarily (name check delayed cases) qualified is not the violation of law. It was old practice. In fact, ombudsman recommends it. They have the trump card which is Ombudsman report and recommendations. Therefore they are immune to lawsuit. Therefore, filing the law-suit is not going to help. The only two mistakes I see is 1) making all categories as “current” in June 13 and second is modifying VB only on July 2.

My recommendation is to IV is capitalize the situation in constructive way. Law suit only bring media attention with the expense of money and time. The constructive approach is getting an immediate interim relief by legislation to recapture unused visas in previous years to balance the supply vs demand difference.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future

Legal,

The 700K number is from the Ombudsman's report. He speculated that if the VB was made current, the there would be that many people eligible to apply in the two to three months.

$$$ Contributions:
$560 in one time contributions

Old 07-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Chargeability
:
Brazil
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Compare
Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future

Source:

http://www.dhs.gov/xabout/structure/editorial_0482.shtm

others: various law firm sites, including

www.ilw.com
http://pubweb.fdbl.com/news1.nsf/9ab...a?OpenDocument

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Estimated new 485 filings. : 700K is conservative. May be wrong too.

LC s certified from BEC: about 200K (from 2001 to 2005 filings)
PERM Certifed labor: About 200K (from Mar 2005 to June 2007)

Total LC: 400K. Let us assume 100K already appliled. Lets say 300K is affected by retrogression.

The dependents for 300k will be 450K (1.5 times primary)

So total AOS applicants will be 750K just based on LC. Excluding EB1.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 07-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
fullerene is on a distinguished road

If we don't raise our concerns at the moment, how can we let lawmakers understand our situations and our requests? The goal of this forum is to speak out our voice. This is a very good chance to unify all of us to speak out loudly. We shall not to care too much about the outcome of the lawsuit. As far as I understand, none of us knows better on immigration laws and litigations than these lawyers. If they has decided to do something, we shall concentrate ourselves on supporting them instead of questioning them. Meanwhile we shall urge the lawmakers to pass SKILL or at least to make a more stable and predictable process to practice the immigration law.

We shall let all the lawmakers who support the CIR understand how they can resolve problems practically for 12M without any legal documents in the USA if our problems on the process cannot be resolved. The basises for addressing 12M illegal immigrants are and only are to have an effective and efficient border control system AND an effective and efficient process to handle all the legal applicants.

Last edited by fullerene; 07-04-2007 at 09:22 PM.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:31 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/25/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/25/2005
Compare
alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Excellent analysis and reccomendations. I feel that a visa number should be assigned at the point of 485 filing. If there is a problem it can be returned to the pool. That will be the least disruptive way to allot numbers in a timely fashion. In the end, that is likely to be the change that will come out of this.

This way, it will offer prospective applicants a more clear viewpoint of what they are up against when they consider their immigration options. i.e if you know you will have to wait 10 yrs to file an AOS even if you have an approved immigrant petition ala the family based immigrants, your plans would be different. You might not feel the wait worthwhile or even if you do, you do it fully aware of the consequences, 10 yrs exploitative employer on h1b etc.
If you notice, the level of hubris and cry is less in family based immigration even though the waits are longer. Atleast they know before they apply!

Your last point about a visa recapture is on the money. It is the least disruptive and easiest of the possible changes for current EB applicants in the current hostile atmosphere. It comes across as a rectification of USCIS inefficiency rather than a request for more immigration, which the public has clearly rejected at this time. If we can get 100-150K visas recaptured, this will greatly help EVERYONE in the EB queue for various reasons. It will buy us the 1-2 yrs needed before immigration is seriously addressed again. It will help those waiting to file 485 to file, those in 485 to have a hope to get out etc. It will help heavily retrogressed countries to keep getting more visas than the annual caps etc. I think that is something everyone can agree on as well.

Last edited by alterego; 07-04-2007 at 09:39 PM.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future Legal has a brilliant future
Default forgot the numbers for the dependents

Quote:
The dependents for 300k will be 450K (1.5 times primary)
Don't see any light at the end of the tunnel...

How much numbers can we seek..to recapture from the lost EB numbers from previous years? 500,000?? There will be a hue and cry...new headlines "half a million cheap labor" etc.

Unless something like SKIL is passed only other thing that would help India EB2,3 would be to use these recaptured numbers to be used ONLY for priority dates older than 3years or something like that. Even if achieve legislation to recapture the EB numbers.. unlesss we seek something like this EB India will be screwed for ever.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
delhiguy has a spectacular aura about delhiguy has a spectacular aura about

I dont think lost GC numbers can be revived, After a Fiscal year is over the GC's are dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal
Don't see any light at the end of the tunnel...

How much numbers can we seek..to recapture from the lost EB numbers from previous years? 500,000?? There will be a hue and cry...new headlines "half a million cheap labor" etc.

Unless something like SKIL is passed only other thing that would help India EB2,3 would be to use these recaptured numbers to be used ONLY for priority dates older than 3years or something like that. Even if achieve legislation to recapture the EB numbers.. unlesss we seek something like this EB India will be screwed for ever.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
Default Without country cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal
only other thing that would help India EB2,3 would be to use these recaptured numbers to be used ONLY for priority dates older than 3years or something like that. Even if achieve legislation to recapture the EB numbers.. unlesss we seek something like this EB India will be screwed for ever.
I meant without country cap....