Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2006
Compare
bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of
Default New law to protect surviving family members

This seems pretty amazing. I wonder how it will play out in action.

"On October 20, the Senate followed the House of Representatives in voting to protect surviving family members when either the petitioner or the principal beneficiary of a petition dies. President Obama is expected to sign this legislation shortly.
Presently, the law provides that when the petitioner or the principal beneficiary dies, so does the petition. Typically, if the beneficiaries are present in the U.S., their applications for adjustment of status are denied and they are placed in removal proceedings.

* WHO WILL BENEFIT FROM THE NEW LAW?
Not only does the new law eliminate the infamous "widow penalty", it does so much more!
When either the petitioner or the principal beneficiary dies in a wide variety of instances, the law acts to protect the surviving family members:
There are few options for surviving relatives:
For example, there is a section of the law which provides that a surviving spouse of a U.S. citizen can self-petition for permanent residence, but only if the marriage occurred at least two years before the petitioner's death.
There is also a regulation which provides that where the petitioner of a family-based petition dies before the beneficiaries of the petition became permanent residents, the beneficiaries may request that the USCIS reinstate the petition for "humanitarian" reasons.

1) Parents, spouses and children of a U.S. citizen with pending or approved petitions;
2) Beneficiaries, principal or derivative, of pending or approved family-based petitions;
3) Beneficiaries, principals or derivative, of pending or approved employment-based petitions;
4) Beneficiaries, principal or derivative, of pending or approved asylee/refugee relative petitions;
5) Nonimmigrants entitled to "T" (trafficking victims) or "U" (crime victims) status.
Since the waiting times for family-based and employment-based preference can range up to between five and 22 years, often petitioners and principal beneficiaries die before the beneficiaries of the petition can obtain permanent residence.

* EXAMPLE #4 - Employment-Based Petition
Dr. Kumar is a physician born in India. His wife and daughter reside with him in the U.S. He is in H-1B status. His wife and daughter are in H-4 status. Dr. Kumar completed his medical residency in the U.S. on a J-1 visa. Then, for three years, he worked in a medically-underserved area in H-1B status. In 2006, his employer submitted a PERM application on his behalf. It was approved in the Spring of 2007. In July 2007, when all the employment-based numbers became current, Dr. Kumar's employer submitted an EB-2 visa petition on his behalf. Simultaneously, Dr. Kumar, his wife and daughter all applied for adjustment of status. Then his priority date retrogressed. In 2009, Dr. Kumar was killed by a drunk driver. Under present law, the visa petition would be revoked. Under the new law, Dr. Kumar's wife and daughter would be permitted to continue with their applications to adjust status. The visa petition could only be revoked if the USCIS determined that its continued approval would not be "in the public interest".

* CONCLUSION

The new law will provide immigration benefits to "survivors" in various types of immigration cases where either the petitioner or the principal beneficiary dies before the other family members are able to become permanent residents.
However, the law is complex, and the extent of its benefits will not be known until after the USCIS and the State Department promulgate regulations, or issue memos, explaining how they plan to implement the new law."

http://shusterman.typepad.com/nation...y-members.html
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2006
Compare
bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of

comments?

^^^^^^^ bump ^^^^^^^^

Old 10-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2007
Compare
jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up It's a good idea

I am surprised that this was not the law before but considering the current Immigration laws, I should not have been :-(

Old 10-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future

Glad to see this law. Also this law gives me hope for recapture. No one knew about this law was in transit and without any hitches this one passed all the way. So for those who feel that recapture cannot pass can rethink their position based on this new fact.
Called CHC and other law makers
Contacted Local Congressman for support to Immigration bills.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Compare
go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstart View Post
Glad to see this law. Also this law gives me hope for recapture. No one knew about this law was in transit and without any hitches this one passed all the way. So for those who feel that recapture cannot pass can rethink their position based on this new fact.
Yes very true....actually thanks to organizations like IV a lot of lawmakers now understand the EB backlog. There is not a major opposition to EB reform.
It is the CIR that is holding this back.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/02/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/31/2009
Compare
polapragada is a splendid one to behold polapragada is a splendid one to behold polapragada is a splendid one to behold polapragada is a splendid one to behold polapragada is a splendid one to behold polapragada is a splendid one to behold polapragada is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekayal View Post
This seems pretty amazing. I wonder how it will play out in action.

"On October 20, the Senate followed the House of Representatives in voting to protect surviving family members when either the petitioner or the principal beneficiary of a petition dies. President Obama is expected to sign this legislation shortly.
Presently, the law provides that when the petitioner or the principal beneficiary dies, so does the petition. Typically, if the beneficiaries are present in the U.S., their applications for adjustment of status are denied and they are placed in removal proceedings.

* WHO WILL BENEFIT FROM THE NEW LAW?
Not only does the new law eliminate the infamous "widow penalty", it does so much more!
When either the petitioner or the principal beneficiary dies in a wide variety of instances, the law acts to protect the surviving family members:
There are few options for surviving relatives:
For example, there is a section of the law which provides that a surviving spouse of a U.S. citizen can self-petition for permanent residence, but only if the marriage occurred at least two years before the petitioner's death.
There is also a regulation which provides that where the petitioner of a family-based petition dies before the beneficiaries of the petition became permanent residents, the beneficiaries may request that the USCIS reinstate the petition for "humanitarian" reasons.

1) Parents, spouses and children of a U.S. citizen with pending or approved petitions;
2) Beneficiaries, principal or derivative, of pending or approved family-based petitions;
3) Beneficiaries, principals or derivative, of pending or approved employment-based petitions;
4) Beneficiaries, principal or derivative, of pending or approved asylee/refugee relative petitions;
5) Nonimmigrants entitled to "T" (trafficking victims) or "U" (crime victims) status.
Since the waiting times for family-based and employment-based preference can range up to between five and 22 years, often petitioners and principal beneficiaries die before the beneficiaries of the petition can obtain permanent residence.

* EXAMPLE #4 - Employment-Based Petition
Dr. Kumar is a physician born in India. His wife and daughter reside with him in the U.S. He is in H-1B status. His wife and daughter are in H-4 status. Dr. Kumar completed his medical residency in the U.S. on a J-1 visa. Then, for three years, he worked in a medically-underserved area in H-1B status. In 2006, his employer submitted a PERM application on his behalf. It was approved in the Spring of 2007. In July 2007, when all the employment-based numbers became current, Dr. Kumar's employer submitted an EB-2 visa petition on his behalf. Simultaneously, Dr. Kumar, his wife and daughter all applied for adjustment of status. Then his priority date retrogressed. In 2009, Dr. Kumar was killed by a drunk driver. Under present law, the visa petition would be revoked. Under the new law, Dr. Kumar's wife and daughter would be permitted to continue with their applications to adjust status. The visa petition could only be revoked if the USCIS determined that its continued approval would not be "in the public interest".

* CONCLUSION

The new law will provide immigration benefits to "survivors" in various types of immigration cases where either the petitioner or the principal beneficiary dies before the other family members are able to become permanent residents.
However, the law is complex, and the extent of its benefits will not be known until after the USCIS and the State Department promulgate regulations, or issue memos, explaining how they plan to implement the new law."

http://shusterman.typepad.com/nation...y-members.html

It is very good law...Thanks for sharing..

Old 11-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute Brightsider has a reputation beyond repute

Guys,

Am trying to find out the relevant parts of HR 2892 that extends that benefit to EB cases.
Havent been able to find it?

Apart from Shusterman's commentary, I havent seen anything about the extension of benefits of the 'widow's penalty' to EB cases.

Maybe I am not looking at the right doc.
But those of you who have been able to see it in the statute/law, could you please point it out .....by sending the url, or noting the section/article of the law or any other way.

Many thanks