Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute
Default IV update: CIR 2009 bill Text

Here are some good provisions -

* Increase in visa limit from 140,000 to 290,000
* Visa recapture
* Increase of per-country limit in employment based category from 7% to 10%
* Effective date is within 60 day of the enactment of this act
* Exemption for STEM graduates from EB visa number
* Exemption for dependents from EB visa number
* Filing I-485 when the visa number is not available (with $500 fee)

Very bad sections

* No removal of per country limits on EB category
* Formation of commission for employment based green cards - 498 page
* Durbin-Grassley anti high skilled immigration bill -525

See full text of the bill here http://immigrationvoice.org/wiki/ima...ez_CIR2009.pdf

Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Mailing List

===================
I do not give legal advice. You can pay and get it from Lawyers. Just show me some love and click the links above to help ImmigrationVoice any way you choose.
-----------

Last edited by Administrator2; 12-16-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/29/2007
Compare
vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of
Default Good Summary

Good summary. Thanks for posting this

Old 12-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for posting the bill ....... but don't get fooled by the good provisions......

y does it make me feel that someone against eb visa wrote this bill....... look carefully for the commission thingy & durbin grassley...... if there is no one here to get eb green card b'coz everyone will be thrown out..... how will it help even if green card number is increased to 500 million....... look carefully into commission part & the durbin grassley part before supporting this bill......

i'd say v should oppose this bill...... & call to give gutierrez piece of our mind...... asking him to make changes to his bill.......

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2007
Compare
jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold
Default Thanks Pappu

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu View Post
Very bad sections

See full text of the bill here http://immigrationvoice.org/wiki/ima...ez_CIR2009.pdf

Let's work with House and Senate members to make sure these sections get removed. We need to make a good case to the American people why these sections are bad.

- Jk

Old 12-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute
Default I don't think so

I just read the bill, except for the crackdown on the H1b and L1 there is nothing anti against the EB category.

Please explain if I missed anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhira View Post
thanks for posting the bill ....... but don't get fooled by the good provisions......

y does it make me feel that someone against eb visa wrote this bill....... look carefully for the commission thingy & durbin grassley...... if there is no one here to get eb green card b'coz everyone will be thrown out..... how will it help even if green card number is increased to 500 million....... look carefully into commission part & the durbin grassley part before supporting this bill......

i'd say v should oppose this bill...... & call to give gutierrez piece of our mind...... asking him to make changes to his bill.......

Support HR-3012 and Support Fairness!

Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Contribute | HR3012 Wiki

Info on Rally | Accommodation | Air Miles | Carpool | Merchandize | Posters | Volunteers

--------------------------
Result for psaxena:
Your position is 53193 in the Green Card Queue based on your Country of Chargeability "India", Priority Date "Aug-06" and Category "EB3" .
Your Expected Date of Adjudication is Sep, 2028.

1 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Compare
mundada has much to be proud of mundada has much to be proud of mundada has much to be proud of mundada has much to be proud of mundada has much to be proud of mundada has much to be proud of mundada has much to be proud of mundada has much to be proud of mundada has much to be proud of
Question

If CIR ASAP fails then does IV have any indication from senators, congressmen or lobbyists that EB specific provisions will be taken?

Biggest reason for failure will be timing. Health care is less controversial and it is still being dragged. Republicans have recently won couple of seats and states, and will want to utilize every opportunity to blame Obama & Co. for high unemployment (current effective unemployment is 17%). Obama's approval rating is not only falling but falling fast. Hence, all his recent cries of "big fat bankers" and blah blah. So Democrats will want to play safe for next year's elections, and avoid any hot topic that may gift Congress to Republicans next year.

In all practical sense, it looks as if CIR ASAP may soon become CIR NNCL (Not Now Come Later).

Old 12-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the updates. Good summary on provisions. Also not sure why Formation of commission for employment based green card is high lighted as bad, Would it not be good to have an officials panel review this and provide recommendation, so this might help future GC aspirants if the number of visa's are adjusted based on recommendation, etc... so they don't have to go this again.. just my opinion. Good job IV.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/01/2011
Compare
TeddyKoochu has a reputation beyond repute TeddyKoochu has a reputation beyond repute TeddyKoochu has a reputation beyond repute TeddyKoochu has a reputation beyond repute TeddyKoochu has a reputation beyond repute TeddyKoochu has a reputation beyond repute TeddyKoochu has a reputation beyond repute TeddyKoochu has a reputation beyond repute TeddyKoochu has a reputation beyond repute TeddyKoochu has a reputation beyond repute TeddyKoochu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Excellent Summary

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu View Post
Here are some good provisions -

* Increase in visa limit from 140,000 to 290,000
* Visa recapture
* Increase of per-country limit in employment based category from 7% to 10%
* Effective date is within 60 day of the enactment of this act
* Exemption for STEM graduates from EB visa number
* Exemption for dependents from EB visa number
* Filing I-485 when the visa number is not available (with $500 fee)

Very bad sections

Pappu big thanks for the effort in compiling this excellent summary. The bill certainly has some very good provisions.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/11/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ch102 has a reputation beyond repute ch102 has a reputation beyond repute ch102 has a reputation beyond repute ch102 has a reputation beyond repute ch102 has a reputation beyond repute ch102 has a reputation beyond repute ch102 has a reputation beyond repute ch102 has a reputation beyond repute ch102 has a reputation beyond repute ch102 has a reputation beyond repute ch102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not sure whether this bill will be introduced !

This legislation is not going to go anywhere. It was introduced in order to keep pressure on the administration to move forward on CIR. In fact, it will likely do more harm that good. It is a "liberal" bill in that it provides generous amnesty benefits with only limited border security provisions. It is going to draw a lot of fire and help right wingers organize against all immigration legislation.

One of the reasons Schumer and Lofgren have held off on introducing their bill was to keep this very thing from happening. Now, we have a proposal that feeds the anti-immigration biases of the crazies and allows them to get their troops organized. This will make it just that much harder for the administration's CIR bill to move forward."

http://www.immigration-information.com/forums/p...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
140jibjab is a splendid one to behold 140jibjab is a splendid one to behold 140jibjab is a splendid one to behold 140jibjab is a splendid one to behold 140jibjab is a splendid one to behold 140jibjab is a splendid one to behold 140jibjab is a splendid one to behold
Default CIR Circus: Not going anywhere

Ok this CIR is not going to go anywhere. It was not even part of Obama Election promise.

Even though It was part of Bush's election mandate and it did not get done for 8 years.

I know there is "We have to do something" kind of thought.

Why would/What is there for the Senate/House to work on this Bill----NOTHING......

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eyeswe has a reputation beyond repute eyeswe has a reputation beyond repute eyeswe has a reputation beyond repute eyeswe has a reputation beyond repute eyeswe has a reputation beyond repute eyeswe has a reputation beyond repute eyeswe has a reputation beyond repute eyeswe has a reputation beyond repute eyeswe has a reputation beyond repute eyeswe has a reputation beyond repute eyeswe has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree. May be that is because I jumped directly to the page related to Durban Grassley bill. But it seems like we are getting nothing much in terms of EB improvements and yet loosing a lot more on the H1B side. I am all of lawful filing, application and practice of H1B visa stipulations, but remember H1B is the spigot that controls the number of EB filings and future employment opportunites for those coming to this country behind us. We should be careful, in the garb of better EB provisions (or so on paper), that future employment visas to highly skilled immigrants are not made so painful that companies automatically turn down any opportunity to recruit them especially in non-IT fields.Guys let us not close the door behind our back. Oppose vigorosuly any unjust restrictions on H1B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhira View Post

Old 12-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Compare
joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Agreed we must think for the future

Good point! EB immigration is what makes this great country even better.
As it is manufacturing has left US Shores, Other white collar jobs are on the way out... going to cheaper places in this flat world. So if the door closes on fresh brilliant minds intellectual capital growth will be hindered. Hey lets keep the good stuff flowing.

I cant believe President Obama or for that matter any American wanting this country to thrive will allow something that hinders growth to pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeswe View Post
I have to agree. May be that is because I jumped directly to the page related to Durban Grassley bill. But it seems like we are getting nothing much in terms of EB improvements and yet loosing a lot more on the H1B side. I am all of lawful filing, application and practice of H1B visa stipulations, but remember H1B is the spigot that controls the number of EB filings and future employment opportunites for those coming to this country behind us. We should be careful, in the garb of better EB provisions (or so on paper), that future employment visas to highly skilled immigrants are not made so painful that companies automatically turn down any opportunity to recruit them especially in non-IT fields.Guys let us not close the door behind our back. Oppose vigorosuly any unjust restrictions on H1B

Old 12-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/05/2007
Compare
crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of

I think that must be the bargain struck between Durbin/Grassley and Guiterrez & Co. We'll let u have your numbers now and in return we turn the tap off for the future. So in other words, raise the EB cap all you want. There just wont be anyone to claim it since we'll shut off the H1/L1 visas at the entry point. Smart politics.

Side Related Rant: If it wasnt for these few desi bodyshoppers flouting the H1B rules and completely abusing the system, it wouldnt have come to this where now its likely to be (almost) shut down for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeswe View Post

Old 12-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
shantanup has much to be proud of shantanup has much to be proud of shantanup has much to be proud of shantanup has much to be proud of shantanup has much to be proud of shantanup has much to be proud of shantanup has much to be proud of shantanup has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyghoda View Post
Side Related Rant: If it wasnt for these few desi bodyshoppers flouting the H1B rules and completely abusing the system, it wouldnt have come to this where now its likely to be (almost) shut down for all.
Can't agree more!

Old 12-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/20/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
letstalklc has much to be proud of letstalklc has much to be proud of letstalklc has much to be proud of letstalklc has much to be proud of letstalklc has much to be proud of letstalklc has much to be proud of letstalklc has much to be proud of letstalklc has much to be proud of letstalklc has much to be proud of letstalklc has much to be proud of
Default Thanks

Good summary, thanks for posting.

It would be great if they keep per country elimination in it.