Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2006, 12:36 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
lonedesi is a splendid one to behold lonedesi is a splendid one to behold lonedesi is a splendid one to behold lonedesi is a splendid one to behold lonedesi is a splendid one to behold lonedesi is a splendid one to behold lonedesi is a splendid one to behold lonedesi is a splendid one to behold
Default House-Senate Conference Committee

05/26/2006: Critical Role of House-Senate Conference Committee and Importance of Selection of the Conferees

More than ever, in the Comprehensive Immigration Reform legislation, the role of the upcoming House-Senate Conference Committee will be critically important. Traditionally, once conference committee reaches an agreement, the floors of both Houses usually accepted the compromise report of the conference committee. It is thus critically important to learn who will be selected to the conference committee by each House. The key players in the selection are the Speaker of the House, the President of the Senate, Majority and Minority leaders in both Houses.
In the Senate, the floor has already decided how the conferees from the Senate will be selected. It proposes to send conferees at the ratio of 14 from the House and 12 from the Senate. On the Senate side, all the conferees will be selected from the Judiciary Committee at the ratio of 7 from the Republicans and 5 from the Democrats. On the Republican side, the Majority leader will select the seven Republican conferees and the Minority leader will select the five Democrat conferees. Without doubt, the Democrats will select the hardcore supporters of the CIR, but it is unclear who the Majority leader Bill Frist will pick on the Republican side. He may attempt to balance between the hardcore supporters and the hardcore opponents within the party. We just wish that the hardcore Republican opponents who posed a roadblock to the today's passage of the bill in the Senate as revealed in the amendment and final roll calls do not take a dominant power on the Republican side of the Senate delegaton. Readers may want to know who these opponents are by checking the voting records of S. 2611.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LI...n=2&vote=00157

http://www.immigration-law.com/
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2006, 08:18 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/12/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/12/2003
Compare
sai is on a distinguished road

when is "House-Senate Conference Committee " scheduled ?

Old 05-26-2006, 08:35 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
learning01 is on a distinguished road
Default Here's Sen. Specter's (R-PA) take on the conference

"This is truly landmark legislation produced by a big-league team," said Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee that wrote the legislation.

"The next step is going to be the conference (with the House) and I believe we can do it," Specter said. "We're going to work as hard to get a bill to the president's desk as we did to get a bill passed today. And I predict success."

LINK

Old 05-26-2006, 08:42 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
approvemy485 is on a distinguished road
Default My guess

Here is my guess on who will be in Conference from Senate side.

Sen.Specter, Sen.Cornyn, Sen.Kyl, Sen.Sessions, Sen.Brownback, Sen.Graham, Sen.Grassley, Sen.Kennedy, Sen.Durbin, Sen.Feinstein, Sen.Leahy, Sen.Feingold

Old 05-26-2006, 08:47 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
beppenyc is on a distinguished road

If is happen

Well,I am not really happy about Coryn and Kyle (who voted against) but is most important that Senator Session will be out from the delegation.

Old 05-26-2006, 08:56 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default I think the number of Senators in conference is ...

16 Republicans and 12 Democrats.

Here is the Chicago Tribune editorial on the Senate CIR bill.
Quote:
The Senate's better vision
Published May 26, 2006
The Senate on a 62-36 vote Thursday approved a far better plan.
This issue is too important for such heavy-handed partisanship. If the House fails to compromise to get an immigration law, it will reinforce the broad public impression that this GOP-led Congress can't get anything done.
Against long odds, the Senate has produced a comprehensive immigration bill that looks beyond the House's one-dimensional solution. It deserves to be considered in good faith in conference committee. Building on the lessons of 20 years of failed immigration policy, the Senate bill represents our best chance yet to finally set things right. It's time for negotiation, not noise.

Copyright © 2006, Chicago Tribune

LINK at ChicagoTribune.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by approvemy485

Sen.Specter, Sen.Cornyn, Sen.Kyl, Sen.Sessions, Sen.Brownback, Sen.Graham, Sen.Grassley, Sen.Kennedy, Sen.Durbin, Sen.Feinstein, Sen.Leahy, Sen.Feingold

Old 05-26-2006, 11:06 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/06/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2007
Compare
vparam is a jewel in the rough vparam is a jewel in the rough vparam is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up conferees

IV team:

Can you post the information about conferees as soon as you get info?Also the faxes to be sent etc...

Old 05-26-2006, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default House commitee negotiators: 14 R+12 D= 26 Senators

Quote:
Originally Posted by approvemy485

---
See below for Frist's ( Rep. Senate leader) comment:

Frist said the Senate will send 14 Republicans and 12 Democrats to negotiate with the House, with seven of the Republicans and five Democrats coming from the Judiciary Committee. The remaining seven Republicans will be chosen by Frist and remaining seven Democrats chosen by Reid.

At least one oppoenent of the compromise measure, Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, will be among the remaining seven Republicans appointed to the committee, spokesman Don Stewart said.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
go_gc_way is on a distinguished road
Default Judiciary committe proceedings will be transparent?

Basic question .. thanks for answering.

Proceedings in Judiciary Committe wil be transparent? Does IV lobby with committe also, what happens next.

Some where in the forum , some one posted (sorry I do not remember the name), that a post bill analysis will be posted. Will Post Bill Analysis , indicates what is in the Senate bill or what can we do next.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-01
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
god_bless_you is on a distinguished road

check these :
http://www.qando.net/details.aspx?Entry=3949

http://frontpagemagazine.com/Article...e.asp?ID=22656

Last edited by god_bless_you; 05-26-2006 at 01:37 PM.

Old 05-26-2006, 02:17 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
beppenyc is on a distinguished road

I don`t remember where i read it but they will pick the first 7 republican of the SCJ and the first five dem of the SJC, the bad news is the Session , according to the article will be part of the conference.
Corny and Kyle will be part of the conference too (that for sure).

Last edited by beppenyc; 05-26-2006 at 02:24 PM.

Old 05-26-2006, 02:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
black_logs is on a distinguished road

We haven't gone out celeberating yet. We are working on the Next round strategy with QGA. Please bear with us. We'll unfold stuff when time/situation permits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_gc_way
Basic question .. thanks for answering.

Proceedings in Judiciary Committe wil be transparent? Does IV lobby with committe also, what happens next.

Some where in the forum , some one posted (sorry I do not remember the name), that a post bill analysis will be posted. Will Post Bill Analysis , indicates what is in the Senate bill or what can we do next.

Old 05-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Please don't post links to fringe organizations ...

We have limited time and we have to achieve a lot. Our time and efforts should be utilized in a much better way, don't you agree? I appreciate your posting of your links. And what is your point? Include as a small comment or note at the top. It is easy for any one to 'google' conference, immigration and bill to come up with a few thousand good and relevant link. If I post a good number of them, one would definitely be lost.

Posting links should serve a purpose here. The primary purpose is achieving IV goals. A smaller purpose could be to see what the other side is saying, but my suggestion is to ignore them in general.

I went to both the links; one of the I understand is a Libertarian organization and the other radical left. As anyone can see, they don't represent the views of mainstream America. So, it is a waste of time and effort and above all a distraction here. That's my advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by god_bless_you
check these :

Last edited by learning01; 05-26-2006 at 02:29 PM.

Old 05-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sstalib is on a distinguished road

House Republican (Representative F. James Sensenbrenner) Pessimistic on Immigration Deal

After reading the comparisons and statements from House leaders, this bill may languish for a few months before becoming law. STILL I HOLD MY HOPES UP.

Last edited by sstalib; 05-26-2006 at 02:50 PM.

Old 05-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
go_gc_way is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks for the reply ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_logs
We haven't gone out celeberating yet. We are working on the Next round strategy with QGA. Please bear with us. We'll unfold stuff when time/situation permits.

Thanks for the reply... I was curious. I will be patient and look out for new postings on this topic.

I wish others (who do not) understand , that they know it is not yet law and there is work that needs to be done.

And I wish all other members who have not contributed .. contribute soon, as that is the most visible request from IV to members today. And I believe these contributions will go towards acchiving our dreams.

Last edited by go_gc_way; 05-26-2006 at 03:49 PM.