Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Analysis Discussion > Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins
Click to log in with Facebook
Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins Issues surrounding the retrogression of the priority dates for the various employment based categories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2007, 08:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2006
Chargeability
:
Czech Republic
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/15/2007
Compare
lsuk is on a distinguished road
Default Let's push EAD for more than 1 year!

EAD is usually issued only for one year but USCIS has the option to issue EADs for a longer period of time based on this regulation:

"DHS on July 30, 2004 published an interim regulation that amends 8 CFR sec. 274a3. USCIS now has authority to issue EADs for periods greater than one year. This regulation recognizes the system is overburdened. However, USCIS has not implemented this reform probably due to the potential revenue loss."

Source: "Immigration and Nationality Law Handbook 2007 Edition", published by AILA

This can be done without changing the law. If USCIS is afraid to lose its revenue they can change for 2 or 3 years ahead. I believe this may be a good choice for people whose visa number will not be available for several years. Any comments?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
masterji has much to be proud of masterji has much to be proud of masterji has much to be proud of masterji has much to be proud of masterji has much to be proud of masterji has much to be proud of masterji has much to be proud of masterji has much to be proud of masterji has much to be proud of

I am in H1 and filed for 485 and EAD, AP. Still have my H1B visa in my passport. Does getting EAD mean you are no more in H1? Or you really have to USE it to be out of H1.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
lotta can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterji
I am in H1 and filed for 485 and EAD, AP. Still have my H1B visa in my passport. Does getting EAD mean you are no more in H1? Or you really have to USE it to be out of H1.
The general consensus is that only using an EAD invalidates H1.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsuk
EAD is usually issued only for one year but USCIS has the option to issue EADs for a longer period of time based on this regulation:

"DHS on July 30, 2004 published an interim regulation that amends 8 CFR sec. 274a3. USCIS now has authority to issue EADs for periods greater than one year. This regulation recognizes the system is overburdened. However, USCIS has not implemented this reform probably due to the potential revenue loss."

Source: "Immigration and Nationality Law Handbook 2007 Edition", published by AILA

This can be done without changing the law. If USCIS is afraid to lose its revenue they can change for 2 or 3 years ahead. I believe this may be a good choice for people whose visa number will not be available for several years. Any comments?
Hi Suk,

We have been already working on this. Please see:

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/C...D_03-20-06.pdf

On July 30, 2004, an interim rule "Employment Authorization Documents." 69 Fed. Reg. 45555 removed regulatory language limiting EAD validity periods to one-year increments and provides for USCIS issuance of multi-year EADs. The intent of this rule is - USCIS is to begin issuance of EADs with validity periods of more than one year. The reason for this interim rule was that 80%-90% of adjustment of status applications remain pending for longer than one year. Therefore applying for renewal of the EAD every year, as mentioned in the July 2004 interim rule, "creates burden on the applicant" and "creates avoidable additional workload for USCIS".

This change to the EAD issuance policy and practice will benefit employers and individuals, as well as USCIS. Issuance of multi-year EADs and EADs with full periods of validity will also help to reduce USCIS workload and improve process efficiency. With the current practice, issuing EADs with one-year validity periods—in cases where it is likely that re-issuance of the EAD will be necessary—requires USCIS to perform redundant adjudications.

Thanks for your help!
Recd green card in June 2007

Old 07-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GCKarma is on a distinguished road

With 485 pending more than 180 days 140 approved ..not using EAD i use ac21 to change job on h1.....in that scenario can i get h1-b extension after six years?...if so for how many years?

Old 07-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2006
Chargeability
:
Czech Republic
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/15/2007
Compare
lsuk is on a distinguished road

GCKarma,
You can extend your H-1B up to three years, but if you use your EAD card at some point, your H-1B is void. However, you can always recaputure your H-1B time later if needed (and if counted within the last 6 years unless left the U.S. for one year) and will be eligible for your extensions later.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:17 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/14/2007
Compare
raamskl has a spectacular aura about raamskl has a spectacular aura about raamskl has a spectacular aura about
Default H4 and EAD.

Hi,

What happens if a EAD is obtained for a person on a h4 visa and the person does not work or works partially? Is that an issue, like bench period being an issue while on H1.

I am thinking that, that should not be an issue as one doesn't need a visa to get back to the country while on EAD, as AP would be available. And potentially bench period turns out to be an issue in H1 becoz consulates tend to look at ur W2's from previous years while u go for stamping, which wouldn't be the case while on EAD. Am I right?

Old 07-22-2007, 01:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/14/2007
Compare
raamskl has a spectacular aura about raamskl has a spectacular aura about raamskl has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by raamskl
Hi,

What happens if a EAD is obtained for a person on a h4 visa and the person does not work or works partially? Is that an issue, like bench period being an issue while on H1.

I am thinking that, that should not be an issue as one doesn't need a visa to get back to the country while on EAD, as AP would be available. And potentially bench period turns out to be an issue in H1 becoz consulates tend to look at ur W2's from previous years while u go for stamping, which wouldn't be the case while on EAD. Am I right?
Would anyone know?,, bumping up.

Thank you.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsuk

I thought EAD renewals are now free (included in the initial filing fee if filed after July 31). So no revenue loss and less workload for USCIS if they go for 3 years.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
kumhyd2 has much to be proud of kumhyd2 has much to be proud of kumhyd2 has much to be proud of kumhyd2 has much to be proud of kumhyd2 has much to be proud of kumhyd2 has much to be proud of kumhyd2 has much to be proud of kumhyd2 has much to be proud of kumhyd2 has much to be proud of
Default Irrelavant post for the thread

Think before you post. People look into the threads based on the heading and your post which is irrelavant to the original post doesn't make any sense. May be look for the appropriate thread and post in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterji

Old 07-22-2007, 09:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Waldenpond, this question is for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldenPond
Hi Suk,

We have been already working on this. Please see:

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/C...D_03-20-06.pdf

On July 30, 2004, an interim rule "Employment Authorization Documents." 69 Fed. Reg. 45555 removed regulatory language limiting EAD validity periods to one-year increments and provides for USCIS issuance of multi-year EADs. The intent of this rule is - USCIS is to begin issuance of EADs with validity periods of more than one year. The reason for this interim rule was that 80%-90% of adjustment of status applications remain pending for longer than one year. Therefore applying for renewal of the EAD every year, as mentioned in the July 2004 interim rule, "creates burden on the applicant" and "creates avoidable additional workload for USCIS".

This change to the EAD issuance policy and practice will benefit employers and individuals, as well as USCIS. Issuance of multi-year EADs and EADs with full periods of validity will also help to reduce USCIS workload and improve process efficiency. With the current practice, issuing EADs with one-year validity periods—in cases where it is likely that re-issuance of the EAD will be necessary—requires USCIS to perform redundant adjudications.

Thanks for your help!

Walden pond, is there anyway we can do a rigorous push for this. Is there something that we can do about it. Also, after this letter to USCIS, was there any response from their end...thanks for your time, btw, congratulations on receiving your green card. You really deserve it and trust me, every single soul in IV is happy for you.
485 status - Rotting in NSC with a single RFE
Lost H1, working on EAD. Invoked AC21 twice.
Attended DC Rally and contributed to IV many times.
Renewed EAD 3 times and AP 4 times
Total cost from the H1 days (new h1, extension, ead, ap, 140, 485 etc - $22000)
Total cost if I had bought a labor certification those days and having a GC by now - $15000
Not knowing if GC is this worth - Priceless.
R2I'd in Feb 2011.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
United Kingdom
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Compare
franklin has much to be proud of franklin has much to be proud of franklin has much to be proud of franklin has much to be proud of franklin has much to be proud of franklin has much to be proud of franklin has much to be proud of franklin has much to be proud of franklin has much to be proud of franklin has much to be proud of

Let's push to achieve IV action items first!

Have you sent your 4 cards and the YouTube video?

Got Green but still working at IV