Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Analysis Discussion > Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins
Click to log in with Facebook
Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins Issues surrounding the retrogression of the priority dates for the various employment based categories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jul-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/20/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/22/2012
Compare
ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Massive Relocation to deal with massive retrogression

The job market is good so why not we look for a new job, get a better postion, negotiate a deal with them to start GC in 6 months after starting.

The pros are: career growth, better pay, avoiding agony of this retrogression

The cons are: PD will be in 2006-2007

Hopefully they'll deal with this retrogression problem in the next year or so. Looks like the CIR timing is really bad and reps want to use it as a political issue against dems.

It's understandable for people with PD's in 2002-2003 (EB2) and 2002 (EB3) but for others, it is incomprehensible that they are waiting for this thing to become current. I personally dont think that it is worth waiting at the expense of one's career.

It's unfortunate that they combined the retrogression problem with illegal immigration. May be we should have just lobbied for addressing retrogression rather than asking for a number of other provisions like spouse, visa numbers, etc.

I respect the effort being put in by IV folks and am not suggesting that they could have taken a different lobbying approach but I hope that they are already thinking of alternatives for this CIR thing.

I know that I am weighing in my alternatives and hopefully everyone who is affected by this retrogression are thinking of their alternatives.

Peace out!
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Ghost. You are right. I did that, moved to consulting because I figured out market is good. No more tensions of layoff or BEC or deal with office politics or promotions. When a current assignment ends, new assignments are even higher paying. Lot of my friends moved to consulting though they were in 6th, 7th , 8th year extensions and negotiated good billing rates and also quick PERM filing under EB2. This seems to be more healthy in terms of skill updation, better job atmospheres, and more money and peace of mind. The only drawback will be that a % of the rate goes to your agent and but the positive side is that immigration would be taken care of. Most of my local friends are also doing only consulting because they feel that they can be a consultants till they are 40 or so get variety of experience and then settle down in a high job with a variety of experience.

Old 06-14-2006, 11:53 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jul-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/20/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/22/2012
Compare
ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute

Not just consulting, even full time is worth making a move. Ofcourse it is a myth that full time is actually full time, especially in a capitalistic market.

Again, every one of us have their own circumstances and they have to weigh in their options and decide on what works best for them. The bottom line is that it is not worth, at the expense of our career, waiting for the politicians to act for us in an election year.

Old 06-14-2006, 11:56 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold
Wink 40 and a job.........

It would be dangerous to assume that you can get a perm job at 40. IMHO, the other way is easier to do. Get a perm job and stay in it until you are 40+. Then move to consulting.

If you have kids, they are probably teenagers by then and dont want to see you around anyway :-))

Old 06-14-2006, 12:00 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute

what are options available for a person in 7th year to move to a new employer when GC is in process with current employer?

Old 06-14-2006, 12:06 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jul-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/20/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/22/2012
Compare

your best bet would be to spend 100 bucks and talk to an immigration attorney. Trust me, it would be worth spending. Good Luck!

Old 06-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Consulting is the way to Go

Twice laid off from big Corporations...when I worked full time.....
Applied for my GC the 4th time.....Finally realized that the American dream can only become true when you are an entrepreneur.....Got into consuting...almost a entrepreneur...got a huge boost in my salary and there is no fear of losing the job, since it is my friend's company. Yes, he takes a portion of the billing rate...but hey he also needs to make money in business....I have no regrets

The catch is...you need to work with somebody you can trust...there are a lot of DESI outfits who can mess up your GC , job and your salary....So be careful....yes the market is good and the rates too are good.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default To Wait or not to Wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost
The job market is good so why not we look for a new job, get a better postion, negotiate a deal with them to start GC in 6 months after starting.

Peace out!
I started working for a start-up straight out of college. Worked for them for 5 years. My PD was 2002 September. Waited for 3 years and then decided to take a better job offer. Refiled under PERM. Now they are planning to make I-140 premium processing. hopefully in a years time 485 will be streamlined also.

There are options within full-time job sphere if you are open to the risk and benefits.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:36 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Feb-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
TheOmbudsman is infamous around these parts

Provisions which included increase in visa numbers for EB immigrants existed prior to the creation of IV. That was true for multiple bills. Lobbying for tHat was never a big accomplishment. It is more like a wrong strategy, just a waste of time and resources.

We need to lobby by striking a bill that deals with less controversial issues, such as a moderate increase of H1B and a relief to the veterans in the greencard process only. That would be way more acceptable by the public opinion.

Being part of CIR will give us 1% of chances to see this passing. Also, if pro CIR senators get replaced coming next elections - strong evidences so far indicate that is the case - than CIR would be less likely to pass.

We need to lobby in favor of SKIL bill and against the passage of CIR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost

Hopefully they'll deal with this retrogression problem in the next year or so. Looks like the CIR timing is really bad and reps want to use it as a political issue against dems.

It's understandable for people with PD's in 2002-2003 (EB2) and 2002 (EB3) but for others, it is incomprehensible that they are waiting for this thing to become current. I personally dont think that it is worth waiting at the expense of one's career.

It's unfortunate that they combined the retrogression problem with illegal immigration. May be we should have just lobbied for addressing retrogression rather than asking for a number of other provisions like spouse, visa numbers, etc.

I respect the effort being put in by IV folks and am not suggesting that they could have taken a different lobbying approach but I hope that they are already thinking of alternatives for this CIR thing.

I know that I am weighing in my alternatives and hopefully everyone who is affected by this retrogression are thinking of their alternatives.

Peace out!

Old 06-14-2006, 01:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual55
what are options available for a person in 7th year to move to a new employer when GC is in process with current employer?
If your L/C is in BEC you can get a copy of the application and change jobs and get an H1b extensions in any company based on the pending L/C in BEC. If you have a 140 approval you can get 3 years extension in any company as well as retain your priority date

Old 06-14-2006, 02:02 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
marlon2006 is on a distinguished road
Default Interesting thread.

I am currently working for the State. Very stable job, decent income, 40h, very low stress environment. Drawback is lack of promotion, no bonuses, no salary increase. Technology wise the job is not bad - although you can't compare the exposure to a consultancy job. I have started my own consultancy Limited Liability Company and I am starting to get few extra projects here and there. It is hard to find clients though.

My only relucantancy to quitemy job - provide I get the GC in the next six months - is the medical care and interruption between assignments.

As a consultant, which are the best companies out there for people in the 30's ? Also, how about trips ? Do you guys don't bother to travel a lot ? That's a strong reason I am reluctant to consider consultancy, however, thanks to this damn retrogression I may well have to work way harder to make more money !

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalGC
Twice laid off from big Corporations...when I worked full time.....
Applied for my GC the 4th time.....Finally realized that the American dream can only become true when you are an entrepreneur.....Got into consuting...almost a entrepreneur...got a huge boost in my salary and there is no fear of losing the job, since it is my friend's company. Yes, he takes a portion of the billing rate...but hey he also needs to make money in business....I have no regrets

The catch is...you need to work with somebody you can trust...there are a lot of DESI outfits who can mess up your GC , job and your salary....So be careful....yes the market is good and the rates too are good.

Last edited by marlon2006; 06-14-2006 at 02:41 PM.

Old 06-14-2006, 02:31 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Nigeria
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of
Question Your own biz with H1??

so how did u start ur own consultancey job when u are on an H1B visa???

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlon2006
I am currently working for the State. Very stable job, decent income, 40h, very low stress environment. Drawback is lack of promotion, no bonuses, no salary increase. Technology wise the job is not bad - although you can't compare the exposure to a consultancy job. I have started my own consultancy Limited Liability Company and I am starting to get few extra projects here and there. It is hard to find clients though.

My only relucantancy to quitemy job - provide I get the GC in the next six months - is the medical care and interruption between assignments.

Old 06-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
marlon2006 is on a distinguished road

I am on EAD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabaman
so how did u start ur own consultancey job when u are on an H1B visa???

Old 06-14-2006, 04:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Pakistan
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Chicago Desi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalGC
Well, if one's situation is destined to get messed up it will Many times non-desi, gora companies and their lawyers can make astounding mistakes that will affect no one but guys/girls like you and me.

Last edited by Chicago Desi; 06-14-2006 at 07:57 PM.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Desi
Well, if one's situation is destined get messed up it will Many times non-desi, gora companies and their lawyers can make astounding mistakes that will affect non one but guys/girls like you and me.
You got it right - bottomline is, be it Indian, American, Chinese company, it finally boils down to $$. Companies wont bother you as long as you are billable. Consulting companies will not have problem paying you as long as you are earning. Big companies things might be different, there are hierarchial decisions made, things don't get communicated properly etc.... Small companies may have tax problems etc... No job is stable. And when it comes to dealing with immigration, it is very common that lawyers representing big companies make grave mistakes and at times get commercial or just beurocracy ....