Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Analysis Discussion > Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins
Click to log in with Facebook
Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins Issues surrounding the retrogression of the priority dates for the various employment based categories

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fact Sheet Final Version For Comments- Open to all

Employment Based (EB) Green Card (GC) Laws
• The yearly GC quota is 140K. This includes GC for spouse and children. On an average, GCs are given to ~60K families.
• Each country is allotted 7% (of 140K) GCs (equally distributed among EB-1, EB-2 and EB-3) plus any unused visa from other countries. For India, average numbers of EB GCs issued in last seven years were 32K (~12K families).
• As per USCIS Ombudsman report
o Between 2001-07, USCIS was not able process all applications and hence ~155K GCs went waste as unused GCs in a year can not be reused in following years. This was most likely due to resource constraints.
o The report estimates the submission of 500K-750K (yes 500K+) AOS applications between June 1 and August 17 2007.
o FBI security checks may be the single biggest obstacle to the timely and efficient delivery of immigration benefits.
• There were ~200K pending EB Adjustment of Status (AOS) or I-1485 applications as of June 1st.
• So far EAD renewal has been taking around 3 months. Due to the volume of applications, EAD renewal may take 3-9 months. Thus, you may have to apply for renewal more frequently.
• FBI security check backlog is likely to get worse, because the August USCIS fee increase has prompted a 50 percent rise in new naturalization applications so far this year.
• EB Immigration reform does not have enough support in Congress (failure of SKILL, STEM ..). As a matter of fact, it does not even get enough support to make it debatable, let alone final voting.
• The laws need to be changed and the process improved to fix the situation.
What does it mean?
• There will be around 1Million AOS/I-485) applications by Aug 17 which will take 1M/140K = 7+ years to clear the backlog. Thus, late priority dates will remain retrogressed for several years.
• Some, who could not file AOS by 08/17, may have to wait for several years (5+ years).
• Longer EAD/AP renewals cycle and 1 year validity may have the following affects.
o You will have to stop working, if your EAD is not renewed in time.
o Several employers (and rightly so) may view EAD as a temporary permit and may be reluctant to hire you.
• You have to be in the same position with same job responsibilities for an indefinite time period, otherwise your GC application will be rejected.
• If you were unmarried at the time of filing and planning to bring spouse to the USA upon marriage, you will need to continue on current status (e.g. H-1B) or wait till your PD become current.
Immigration Voice (IV) Executive and Legislative Efforts
• Lobbying is an efficient tool to influence law and rule making.
• IV was very active in lobbying for CIR 2006, which was passed in senate.
• IV grass-root effort (flower campaign + San Jose Rally) was an important reason for retraction of July Visa Bulletin.
• Due to upcoming presidential elections, next congress session in October’07 may be our only window of opportunity for several years to influence the lawmakers.
Your options: a) Struggle for several years b) Leave USA c) Help yourself by joining IV

http://immigrationvoice.org/media/fo..._FactSheet.doc

Last edited by pappu; 08-16-2007 at 01:42 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:02 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute

This will be mass distributed with the flyers.

Last edited by singhsa3; 08-15-2007 at 12:07 AM.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:14 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Addendum to Flyers

The fact sheet is a must read for all IV members. Please use this fact sheet and then judge yourself - whether you want to talk about receipt notices or go to the rally.

Singhsa3 and Macaca took a lot of pains and created it with a lot of effort. Good work.

Please distribute the fact sheet as flyers and send the facts as emails, on blogs, various websites etc... and spread the message.

Let the community have a realistic view of the situation.

If you still do not consider doing the rally - the this is ehat will happen - IV will do it with whoever comes - the strength will be low, and opposition will ride over us easily as we are weak.

So - please read the above fact sheet - this fact sheet is your reciept notice, and start heading towards DC.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:50 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bump

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 08-15-2007, 09:08 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare

No one is intrested in knowing the facts?

Old 08-15-2007, 09:35 AM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/31/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
ngodisha is on a distinguished road
Smile Typo fix

It should be SKIL and not SKILL as mentioned in the fact sheet. (not being picky but trying to end up with a typo free document).

Will let you know if I find anything more.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:39 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thanks for putting this together

One question on the bullet below: Does the calculation assume that all 140K visa numbers can be used towards all pending applications, irrespective of country limits. I thought the country limit is going to make the situation much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhsa3 View Post
There will be around 1Million AOS/I-485) applications by Aug 17 which will take 1M/140K = 7+ years to clear the backlog. Thus, late priority dates will remain retrogressed for several years.
[/b]

Old 08-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by another one View Post
One question on the bullet below: Does the calculation assume that all 140K visa numbers can be used towards all pending applications, irrespective of country limits. I thought the country limit is going to make the situation much worse.
If at all USCIS plan it efficiently - one quarter in an year can be used to allocate numbers to retrogressed countries - I am not 100% sure about this, but this is what happened in the July visa fiasco - DOS wanted to maximize utilization and USCIS screwed it up

Old 08-15-2007, 09:56 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
485_se_dukhi is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks for putting this together!

I'm posting it where ever I can on different forums.
Initial contribution $200 + Sent flowers + $50/m recurring deposit + Sent thank you cards + Contributed $100 towards the rally + Bought IV T-shirts for the rally+ Attended Sept 18 Rally + Met our local congresswoman

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - G. B. Shaw

Old 08-15-2007, 10:06 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
gova123 is infamous around these parts gova123 is infamous around these parts gova123 is infamous around these parts gova123 is infamous around these parts gova123 is infamous around these parts

I agree, with the Country limit, the situation might be much worse. And also in the point where you said that the CIR failed at the first stage. The main reason CIR failed was probably everyone thought that CIR would directly give amnesty to 12-16 million and also did not separate Illegal to Legal immigrants.. If somehow we separate them out and explain that IV is doing the lobbyingonly for Legal immigrants, we can even show to some of the office colleagues and they will find it very interesting and may be listen to our geniune concerns. Any inputs to my suggestions..................

Old 08-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/05/2005
Chargeability
:
Venezuela
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/05/2005
Compare
andy garcia has much to be proud of andy garcia has much to be proud of andy garcia has much to be proud of andy garcia has much to be proud of andy garcia has much to be proud of andy garcia has much to be proud of andy garcia has much to be proud of andy garcia has much to be proud of andy garcia has much to be proud of andy garcia has much to be proud of
Default Rules For Employment-based Immigrants(ina Act 202)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanduv23 View Post
If at all USCIS plan it efficiently - one quarter in an year can be used to allocate numbers to retrogressed countries - I am not 100% sure about this, but this is what happened in the July visa fiasco - DOS wanted to maximize utilization and USCIS screwed it up
You are correct. This Fiscal Year they followed the law accordingly.

INA -ACT 202 specify clearly:

(A) EB IMMIGRANTS NOT SUBJECT TO PER COUNTRY LIMITATION IF ADDITIONAL VISAS AVAILABLE- If the total number of visas available under paragraph (1), (2), (3), (4), or (5) of section 203(b) for a calendar quarter exceeds the number of qualified immigrants who may otherwise be issued such visas, the visas made available under that paragraph shall be issued without regard to the numerical limitation under paragraph (2) of this subsection during the remainder of the calendar quarter.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good work

singhsa3, Thanks for compiling this report. Could you tone down the statement in the below quote.. make it "You have to be in the same position with same job responsibilities for quite a few years....."

It would be nice if you could provide a link to the USCIS Ombudsman report because you are referring to it a lot. This make the report more authentic for the reader.

Quote:
You have to be in the same position with same job responsibilities for an indefinite time period, otherwise your GC application will be rejected.
[/b]

Old 08-15-2007, 10:20 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/23/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
johnamit is on a distinguished road
Default thanks

Thanks for bringing this up and highlighting the issue.

The below quoted estimate is when we are assuming a perfect world, however I believe it will take longer than this.

Quote:
• There will be around 1Million AOS/I-485) applications by Aug 17 which will take 1M/140K = 7+ years to clear the backlog. Thus, late priority dates will remain retrogressed for several years.
PD: Sep 05
I140 :AD May 06
I485: RD 7/2/7

Old 08-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Chargeability
:
United Kingdom
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
manderson is just really nice manderson is just really nice manderson is just really nice manderson is just really nice

"IV was very active in lobbying for CIR 2006, which was passed in senate. "

True but most people don't know the difference between passing it in senate and signing it into law - they will think it simply passed (this has been my experience when talking to GC/485 newbies). Please say something like "which was passed in the senate (upper house of parliament), short of passing into law".

Old 08-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Fact sheet for download

http://immigrationvoice.org/media/fo..._FactSheet.doc

Closed Thread