Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Analysis Discussion > Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins
Click to log in with Facebook
Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins Issues surrounding the retrogression of the priority dates for the various employment based categories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2006, 05:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Eb3_frustrated is on a distinguished road
Default My co-worker leaves US due to immigration delays

Hi folks,

A co-worker of mine who has a Phd from top notch university and who has been in the US for 10 years decided to move to Canada because of the immigration delays, he has spend close to $5000 on this green card process and is just tired of waiting.

I hope the lawmakers realize that we are not going to wait here forever. US is not the end of the world I guess.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dwl800 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb3_frustrated
Hi folks,

A co-worker of mine who has a Phd from top notch university and who has been in the US for 10 years decided to move to Canada because of the immigration delays, he has spend close to $5000 on this green card process and is just tired of waiting.

I hope the lawmakers realize that we are not going to wait here forever. US is not the end of the world I guess.
This is just the beginning. If things remain the same for couple of more years, I would not be surprised to see 20% of us leaving US and going somewhere else. I know that lot of us are already frustrated with the process.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05-15-2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05-18-2006
Compare
mihird is on a distinguished road
Default Count me and my spouse in...

Myself: MS Electrical Engg. (Sr. Software Architect
with a Fortune 100 Company)
Spouse: MD Pathology (Resident doctor in the US)

7+ years in the green card queue..1 more year and we'll pack bags by mid 2007, if something like SKIL doesn't come to our rescue.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/04/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
bhatt will become famous soon enough bhatt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihird
Myself: MS Electrical Engg. (Sr. Software Architect
with a Fortune 100 Company)
Spouse: MD Pathology (Resident doctor in the US)

7+ years in the green card queue..1 more year and we'll pack bags by mid 2007, if something like SKIL doesn't come to our rescue.
It is true. and that is why lot of other countries are opening their doors to immigrant expecially IT people.
Now the US universities are no more attractive to foreign students, because it has become more diffifult to get student visa( also expensive). US universities are multi billion bussiness. And now other countries S'pore, China, Australia , Briton etc has activily started to enter in this Bussiness.
That is why the US univesities lobbying for the SKIL bill( or just a show off)

After Completing 10 years here I will be going back to my country.

Last edited by bhatt; 07-19-2006 at 11:54 PM.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default yes 10years

yes me too. 10 years is good choice if you re waiting for 7+ years already. At least you will get social security benefits later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatt
It is true. and that is why lot of other countries are opening their doors to immigrant expecially IT people.
Now the US universities are no more attractive to foreign students, because it has become more diffifult to get student visa. US universities are multi billion bussiness. And now other countries S'pore, China, Australia , Briton etc has activily started to enter in this Bussiness.
That is why the US univesities lobbying for the SKIL bill( or just a show off)

After Completing 10 years here I will be going back to my country.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute

May I know how can we get SS benefits later if we don't have GC?
Many of my collegues also have the same concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCBy3000
yes me too. 10 years is good choice if you re waiting for 7+ years already. At least you will get social security benefits later.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
hmehta is on a distinguished road
Default local consulate

I am not too sure but I believe we need to go to the local consulate and show them the proof of your employement (might be tax returns) and SSN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhuri

Old 07-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute
Default due to the clause of 40 quarters of work

There is a clause in Social Security Administration according to which one is eligible for certain benefits if
"a person contributes to SS for a minimum of 40 quarters[which leads to 10 years of work]"
This is applicatble even if the person is not a citizen or permanent resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhuri

Old 07-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default You can check your quarters

You can check how many quarters you have accumulated till now with the sheet sent to you by SSN office every year after you file your returns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyasaich
There is a clause in Social Security Administration according to which one is eligible for certain benefits if
"a person contributes to SS for a minimum of 40 quarters[which leads to 10 years of work]"
This is applicatble even if the person is not a citizen or permanent resident

Old 07-19-2006, 07:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2006
Compare
Be_Pragmatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I have already decided to go this route and will be moving to Australia sometime next year. I hope this will free up a lot of visas for the folks who wish to stay back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb3_frustrated
Hi folks,

Old 07-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Benin
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
cr52401 is on a distinguished road

I am am waiting for my GC for 5 years now. Have master eng. Wea are planing to go to Canada by the end of 2006 and start a fresh live there. I got a good job offer already and at least I know that my status is guaranty there. Good luck with every one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be_Pragmatic
Well, I have already decided to go this route and will be moving to Australia sometime next year. I hope this will free up a lot of visas for the folks who wish to stay back

Old 07-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/07/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/11/2007
Compare
pkpalta is on a distinguished road
Default SS joke

When you would be eligible for such benefits the funds would be dried up or Lawmakers would add caluse to the current rule to make it eligible for US citizens only. Will you file a suit in an Indian Court for the injustice done in US ?

Unless you fight against the US govt. now you may never get it. It is better to fight it now than to fight it at the end.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Just a hope

May be...

I beleive, with any new law there will be a effective date. Who ever completes 10 year by that time will reap the benefits. Rest should look at their middle f...r at the age of 60. May be try doing that now itself to make sure you do not have difficulties with shaky hands then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpalta
When you would be eligible for such benefits the funds would be dried up or Lawmakers would add caluse to the current rule to make it eligible for US citizens only. Will you file a suit in an Indian Court for the injustice done in US ?

Unless you fight against the US govt. now you may never get it. It is better to fight it now than to fight it at the end.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/03/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/03/2007
Compare
sainwa is just really nice sainwa is just really nice sainwa is just really nice sainwa is just really nice
Talking This is US

Man this is USA, they may pass a law tomorrow and every body will stop getting SS benefits, if their numbers don't work. This is going to happen anyway , its only a matter or time.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
katrina is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpalta

what kind of fight ? 5 year of nightmare, unsure about your status, put your career on hold, make sure that you paid tax, and yet they care more about illegal than legal. 5 year in backlog if it get clear this year (there is posibility that my case get close or even get rejected after 5 years for no reason) and if I'm lucky enough to pass the mess, I still have to wait who knows how many years till the greencard available and then another 5 years to apply for your citizenship.

I don't think it's worth to wait and waste our youth in these country. If by next year this whole mess is not get corrected, I'll try my luck in Canada or other country that value talent and skill before I'm to old to work or start all over again.