Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Analysis Discussion > Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins
Click to log in with Facebook
Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins Issues surrounding the retrogression of the priority dates for the various employment based categories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkBird View Post
After reading all these posts, I am really questioning my self.

Did I really screwed up my life/career by spending all these time in GC queue? I spent my golden years (my 30s) at a single company which I could have used at better place utilizing all my potential. Specially the question someone raised few posts back regarding responsibilities towards aging parents really hit me where it hurts the most. My younger brother is fulfilling my responsibility by taking care of them. Shouldn't I be doing that?

I am really having second thoughts about what I am doing and why...

Thanks everybody for opening my eyes
You are in a better position as you have a brother to take care of YOUR chores. While this is in no way replace your services to your parents, at least you have reason to feel okay you have your own family member taking care of your parents.

I literally talked to a few people that do not have anyone to take care of their parents and can't bring them here to be with them either. They are not in a situation to pack and go back immediately as well other than to feel sorry for being in that state.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkBird View Post
After reading all these posts, I am really questioning my self.

Did I really screwed up my life/career by spending all these time in GC queue? I spent my golden years (my 30s) at a single company which I could have used at better place utilizing all my potential. Specially the question someone raised few posts back regarding responsibilities towards aging parents really hit me where it hurts the most. My younger brother is fulfilling my responsibility by taking care of them. Shouldn't I be doing that?

I am really having second thoughts about what I am doing and why...

Thanks everybody for opening my eyes
A lot of people ask the same question. And I think the answer is yes.

If someone has wasted the prime years in life chasing a greencard, and sacrificing career, family life etc...... It's not really worth it. But then the constant hope of getting closer to the greencard, attraction of money, better life and opportunities later, life of kids etc hold people back. I have seen many who start greencard process and have no idea of the wait. Looks like even their lawyer does not tell them. There is someone I saw the other day on the forum who is appling in EB3 , and I asked him why is he even going through it. Someone else replied it will extend H1b even though it will take him decades to get greencard. This reply just shows how little we think about our lives, how immature we are... and do not mind chasing a dream by continuous incremental wastage of the prime years of our life. Those of us who have already spent several years and many more than than a decade and in 40s decide to finally stay put. Starting everything from scratch back home is not easy. But those who just got H1b could certainly think about getting a couple of years experience and head back to build a golden career using US experience. Many people have told on the forums how high their friends have grown in careers in the home countries, while they have been stagnant here in US due to not having greencard. It is difficult to have such maturity for someone out of college in 20s and starting an h1job in US. At that time they think they are experiencing lot of freedom, lot of money , experiencing good things in life after a difficult college life of searching for GA ship, funding, and ultimately realizing a dream of finding an employer who will sponsor their H1B visa.

Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Mailing List

===================
I do not give legal advice. You can pay and get it from Lawyers. Just show me some love and click the links above to help ImmigrationVoice any way you choose.
-----------

Last edited by pappu; 12-20-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/24/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/02/2007
Compare
ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute

These kind of stuff always reminds me of my history teacher in high school. He used to say

"The only thing we need to learn from history is that we have not learned anything from history"

Old 12-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2011
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2011
Compare
simple.life has a reputation beyond repute simple.life has a reputation beyond repute simple.life has a reputation beyond repute simple.life has a reputation beyond repute simple.life has a reputation beyond repute simple.life has a reputation beyond repute simple.life has a reputation beyond repute simple.life has a reputation beyond repute simple.life has a reputation beyond repute simple.life has a reputation beyond repute simple.life has a reputation beyond repute

this thread reminds me of a saying too...

"Hope is the only thing stronger than fear" - hunger games

Old 12-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu View Post

If someone has wasted the prime years in life chasing a greencard, and sacrificing career, family life etc...... It's not really worth it. But then the constant hope of getting closer to the greencard, attraction of money, better life and opportunities later, life of kids etc hold people back. I have seen many who start greencard process and have no idea of the wait. Looks like even their lawyer does not tell them. There is someone I saw the other day on the forum who is appling in EB3 , and I asked him why is he even going through it. Someone else replied it will extend H1b even though it will take him decades to get greencard. This reply just shows how little we think about our lives, how immature we are... and do not mind chasing a dream by continuous incremental wastage of the prime years of our life. Those of us who have already spent several years and many more than than a decade and in 40s decide to finally stay put. Starting everything from scratch back home is not easy. But those who just got H1b could certainly think about getting a couple of years experience and head back to build a golden career using US experience. Many people have told on the forums how high their friends have grown in careers in the home countries, while they have been stagnant here in US due to not having greencard. It is difficult to have such maturity for someone out of college in 20s and starting an h1job in US. At that time they think they are experiencing lot of freedom, lot of money , experiencing good things in life after a difficult college life of searching for GA ship, funding, and ultimately realizing a dream of finding an employer who will sponsor their H1B visa.
Couldn't agree more....

Well said pappu!

Old 12-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/10/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
everwaiting will become famous soon enough everwaiting will become famous soon enough
Default Who is waiting the longest for Green Card?

Writing is on the wall for EB3 India whose dates are in 2004 and beyond. The choice is doing nothing i.e enduring multi decade wait or doing something i.e participate in advocacy effort that IV is doing. Ofcourse there is always the choice of returning to India. That decision is a personal one.

I agree with the opinion that those in EB3 India whose dates are in 2004 and beyond are not desperate enough yet. This is either due to ignorance regarding the wait period or irrational hope that congress will take up immigration reforms on their own. But soon I hope people will see the stark choices in front of them. Remeber that legislative process in USA is incredibly slow. That is particularly true now with so much partisanship. Each one of us needs to be persistent, selfless and believe in collective goal. I hope we have in us what it takes to change things.

everwaiting

Old 12-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Long time member

Hey guys - I am a long time member of IV but moved back to India after a long wait. As much as I would have wanted to wait and get my GC, its not parents, its not culture that made me move, but its my career. I am not saying it really flew sky high, but at least i get to do what I like to do. I enjoy my job after moving back (keeping aside politics in the office etc). I take what is good for my career and keep aside whats bad. To that end, I am happy about my move back. Do I miss US? Yes. Do I miss waiting for the GC and messing up my career? Certainly no. When I moved back to India, i kept my expectations low, directly aligned with my goals and not wanting to join a very high position, which I am not interested or not qualified for. So, i would say things worked out good for me and i did not hurt myself with lot of surprises. More than us, it takes time for the family to get adjusted in India once you stay for a decade in the US but they will eventually accept the whole package which is not as bad as people think. on the career i am happy to say that I am having a steady growth which is sustainable and I am liking that. This was NOT THERE when I worked there mainly due to non-availability of GC. Final thoughts - Be it parents, or culture or education or career, do what you like to do and that will keep you happy whereever you are , even if that means you have to be in the US..my 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu View Post

485 status - Rotting in NSC with a single RFE
Lost H1, working on EAD. Invoked AC21 twice.
Attended DC Rally and contributed to IV many times.
Renewed EAD 3 times and AP 4 times
Total cost from the H1 days (new h1, extension, ead, ap, 140, 485 etc - $22000)
Total cost if I had bought a labor certification those days and having a GC by now - $15000
Not knowing if GC is this worth - Priceless.
R2I'd in Feb 2011.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:07 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts
Default about parents

When talking about irresponsibility about parents, I see of some families all of their sons/daughters in US/UK, I blame parents as well for their struggle in the old age because they are not thinking about their future in the old age and sending all of their kids to abroad, they shouldn’t do this.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GCTorture has a reputation beyond repute GCTorture has a reputation beyond repute GCTorture has a reputation beyond repute GCTorture has a reputation beyond repute GCTorture has a reputation beyond repute GCTorture has a reputation beyond repute GCTorture has a reputation beyond repute GCTorture has a reputation beyond repute GCTorture has a reputation beyond repute GCTorture has a reputation beyond repute GCTorture has a reputation beyond repute
Default what happens to HR3012 now?

What happens to HR3012 now? With year ending it's dead? How does it work? Can we continue our efforts on the bill into 2013? IV Core group is SO SILENT, and that watered down all my hopes.