Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Analysis Discussion > Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins
Click to log in with Facebook
Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins Issues surrounding the retrogression of the priority dates for the various employment based categories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/05/2007
Compare
NKR has a reputation beyond repute NKR has a reputation beyond repute NKR has a reputation beyond repute NKR has a reputation beyond repute NKR has a reputation beyond repute NKR has a reputation beyond repute NKR has a reputation beyond repute NKR has a reputation beyond repute NKR has a reputation beyond repute NKR has a reputation beyond repute NKR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by somegchuh View Post
I have brought a house 4 years back after 2 years in this country. It is $500K house. Ss it really "Rent Apartment vs Buy House" ?
How about renting a home to provide something good to your family?

With the home values declining I think it makes way more sense to rent the same house (at least in the area I live). If your mortgage payment is only $500 above apartment rent I would say buy. But if you are looking at paying double as mortgage I think its really inflated.

I would like to read more about buying foreclosed properties. I hear there are some good deals out there.
It all depends on the situation, if a person who started this thread can afford to buy a house, wants to buy one, has found a good house in a good location, has got a good deal and if he thinks that not having a GC is the only hurdle, then my suggestion for him would be to buy the house.

Of course every peopleís situation is not the same. If I was in CA, probably I would be living in an apartment now. If you can rent a home and think that makes more sense then buying a house, thatís fine too. If someone can buy a house and give it on rent, thatís even better )
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vinabath is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmontboy View Post
is there a website/magazine where i can get list of foreclosed properties?
www.realtytrac.com will give you a list. But its $40.month. I heard you can get some stale info.

Go to biggerpockets.com Its like IV forum. It will give all the info on how to learn, swim and survive in real estate ocean.
I140 -
Received Date 07-02-07
Approval Date 01-30-08
I485(me and spouse) -Received Date 07-02-07
RFE 02-05-08
RFE response Received Date -03-20-08
Soft LUD 3-21-2008
Soft LUD 3-24-2008
Soft LUD 3-25-2008
i485 approval card production ordered -4/3/2008
i485 card received - 4/9/2008

Old 03-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Google will find you plenty but they charge money. I search real estate through ziprealty.com. It's free. It doesn't specifically mark the foreclosed properties. However, there're a few ways you can find if a property is foreclosed:
  • Some properties are listed as bank-owned in the description. they're foreclosed.
  • Some properties say "pre-approval" required with offer. That's -likely to be (75% of the time) a foreclosed property.
  • Banks reduce price of property at a consistent basis (say reduce by 20K in the second week of every month). The website I mentioned has a history of price drop of all properties.
  • If a property is offered As-Is, it's likely to be foreclosed.
  • If you want to double check, goto the municipalities web-site, most of them have owner's information of all properties on their websites. If the owner is a bank, it's a foreclosed property.
  • Look for a combination of the above factors to identify a bank-owned/foreclosed property.

Last edited by Gravitation; 03-25-2008 at 05:12 PM.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Could you explain property tax a little more? i.e. when you own it what % of your house is the tax? Is it a state tax? Is it fed deductible?
Property tax is paid to the town you live in. It pays for the public schools (primary and secondary education). If your town provides trash collection services etc, all that comes from property tax. It's usually different for residential and commercial and industrial properties. Typically, the better the schools in a town, the more is the property tax.

Percentage is determined by the town/city. For the purpose of this tax, town determines what is called "assessed value" of a property. This is done by the town-clerk by simply looking at the specifications of the property (lot size, number of bedrooms, living space, etc). This assessed value can sometimes vary wildly from the market-price. The assessed values are usually adjusted to match the town/city budget. it's not even intended to be anywhere near the market-price.

Just for an example, my house is worth $540,000 (market price), the tax is $6000/year.

Yes. property tax is fed deductible. I save ~$1000/month in fed taxes. Most of the mortgage loan payment is interest in the beginning and that's also tax deductible. My mortgage+property tax+insurance is about $2400. I used to pay $1500 in rent. For me, the only real financial implication of buying a house has been in the form of: New Furniture, increased heating bill and lawn-care. In lieu of that it has four times as much living space, a acre+plus flat yard for my son to play in. On the flip side, it's far out in the suburb. BTW, I put 25% down, otherwise my mortgage payment would have been higher.

Buying a house is not everybody's cup of tea. but it can work very well for some, depending on requirements, taste and future plans.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/05/2007
Compare
NKR has a reputation beyond repute NKR has a reputation beyond repute NKR has a reputation beyond repute NKR has a reputation beyond repute NKR has a reputation beyond repute NKR has a reputation beyond repute NKR has a reputation beyond repute NKR has a reputation beyond repute NKR has a reputation beyond repute NKR has a reputation beyond repute NKR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertpinto View Post
not as easy as you say.
when you actually sell - you need to get it cleaned - empty and it stays on th block for sometime. about parents - your remark again would be different for different people.
would you be able to care for yr parents more if you are renting or if you own a house with big bills ?? with renting, you can leave at a day or 2 days notice !! with house - not so easy ! . with renting you can probably stay there for a longer time - if u have a house maybe not. This is another big reason I chose to rent even though someone in India is taking care of the elders. GC matters here too - maybe u can take longer vacations if u have GC and a house. but on EAD --renting seems to be the way :-).
as for kids - till the age of 5 - 6, apt and house does not really make much difference for kids ..they just need a place to jump / spoil walls / have friends and play in park / school.
ofcourse the foreclosures and firesale deals may change things - hey if you can get a house for half its cost and if you have the guts / courage to go through the whole thing ..then why not. people need to be careful too ..if people are still staying in the house ...it is a nightmare to remove them...bank repos or thru agents would be safer
Nobody said it is easy mate. If you are paranoid and want to be safe and prepare for the worst case (like getting fired or your 485 getting rejected) then donít buy a house. It is a long haul and no one knows when his/her PD would become current. By the time one gets GC, the kids would have grown up and missed their childhood. Read my previous 3 posts. My suggestion was for the person who started this thread and for his situation only. I know each and every personís situation is different. Like I said if I was in CA, probably I would be renting too.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinabath View Post
www.realtytrac.com will give you a list. But its $40.month. I heard you can get some stale info.

Go to biggerpockets.com Its like IV forum. It will give all the info on how to learn, swim and survive in real estate ocean.
BiggerPockets.com looks like a nice website. It's for real estate investors. I just signed up on this web-site as I'm closing on a 4-family house next month. Another good site for real estate investors is mrlandlord.com. Though I don't think there are many investors here.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKR View Post
Nobody said it is easy mate. If you are paranoid and want to be safe and prepare for the worst case (like getting fired or your 485 getting rejected) then don’t buy a house. It is a long haul and no one knows when his/her PD would become current. By the time one gets GC, the kids would have grown up and missed their childhood. Read my previous 3 posts. My suggestion was for the person who started this thread and for his situation only. I know each and every person’s situation is different. Like I said if I was in CA, probably I would be renting too.
You're absolutely correct. It depends a lot on one's personal risk profile. I believe in taking calculated risks. So I find myself shaking heads when I read the posts that only consider worst-case scenarios and describe a house as golden-trap. Again, they probably have a valid PoV; just a very very different risk profile from me.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitation View Post
BiggerPockets.com looks like a nice website. It's for real estate investors. I just signed up on this web-site as I'm closing on a 4-family house next month.
If you make money using Biggerpockets... send me $100.
I140 -
Received Date 07-02-07
Approval Date 01-30-08
RFE 02-05-08
Soft LUD 3-21-2008
Soft LUD 3-24-2008
Soft LUD 3-25-2008

Old 03-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/06/2007
Compare
arunmohan has much to be proud of arunmohan has much to be proud of arunmohan has much to be proud of arunmohan has much to be proud of arunmohan has much to be proud of arunmohan has much to be proud of arunmohan has much to be proud of arunmohan has much to be proud of arunmohan has much to be proud of
Default website for auction homes

www.ushomeauction.com
Filed Labor first time in Jan 2001(EB2) but dot com bubble destroyed it.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinabath View Post
If you make money using Biggerpockets... send me $100.
If I make money from a due to a piece of information or knowledge directly obtained from biggerpockets, I'll buy you a beer!

Old 03-25-2008, 06:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/23/2008
Compare
spbpsg is a jewel in the rough spbpsg is a jewel in the rough spbpsg is a jewel in the rough
Default how to find forclosed properties ? see below

Quote:
There is no need to pay website or realtor to find forclosed properties. I have bought forclosed property year ago. Here are tips.

Depending on your location go to any realty websites and search for houses based on your conditions (like price, bd rooms etc). There is always a description for house, if one of following line is part of that description then it is forclosed or bank owned (bank owned means a step before forclosure) :

1) ...addition addendum required...
2) ...subject to third-party approval...
3) ...express finance is provided...

U can do many things without using realtor, use realtor only to see property physically and to do your paperwork. Don't forget to ask 2% commision cash back and never sign commitment doc with realtor, always remember as a buyer u r the king in this market.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:12 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/02/2007
Compare
mbawa2574 is a glorious beacon of light mbawa2574 is a glorious beacon of light mbawa2574 is a glorious beacon of light mbawa2574 is a glorious beacon of light mbawa2574 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Missing on TAX savings

Quote:
Ok, so everytime I see a rent vs buy discussion I see apartment living compared with living in a house. This may not apply to a lot of other places but here's how it goes in SF Bay Area:

Rental
Apartment: Decent sized 2 Bed/2 Bath --- $1600 pm
House : Decent sized 3 bed/2.5 bath --- $2000 pm

Mortgage:
House : Decent sized 3 bed/2.5 bath --- $3500 pm

So, is additional 1500 pm worth the money? Why not rent a house? What's the point of trying to get into a sliding market when even Greenspan can't say where the bottom is?

I am in a decent sized apartment right now and if I have to upgrade its a rental house. Buying in a sliding real estate market doesn't make sense to me.
Dude you are missing on the tax savings part of the game. U need to take it into account. Specially if you are making 100k + . Buying a house will save you big on taxes for first couple of years since interest is tax deductible. For couple of years interest is the major part of your payment.

Also people suggesting that this is not a great time to buy, then what would be ?There are bargains in the market. A Good investor never buys a property when prices touch the roof. U wanna buy right on the bottom. Also risk factors depends on markets and geography where u are looking. NY metro,CA (San Fran & LA), New England area are the best places to buy as job markets are diversified and markets have potential to sustain ups and downs. Property prices have tanked just 10 points and have already corrected pretty much in good neighborhoods and there is inventory sitting on the market with great deals . U cannot compare apples with oranges. Hence Detroit,Ohio etc have no comparison to these progressive markets I mentioned earlier. Also governments don't cut new lots at the same rate in these states as compared to other US markets keeping the prices more or less stable.

On NJ- I have not seen a single Native born American liking the state. It is considered most corrupt state in the union but still pretty much rich people live in NJ including our friend Lou Dobbs :-) He curses NJ almost once in a month on his show and lives in a 300 acre farm house in the same state. So I will rather ignore the comments posted about NJ in earlier post.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:18 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/02/2007
Compare
mbawa2574 is a glorious beacon of light mbawa2574 is a glorious beacon of light mbawa2574 is a glorious beacon of light mbawa2574 is a glorious beacon of light mbawa2574 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Not a good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunmohan View Post
U should look more at Pre-forclosure ( if u can get hold of one) than the foreclosed properties. Most of forclosed properties need substantial investment to fix them. Generally public gets the last chance of good foreclosed properties. It is a bank- real estate nexus which eats up the good inventory before hitting into the market. US home auction is not a real auction but more like a open house for 100 properties at the same time. Quality of inventory is not worth it.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:08 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2007
Compare
BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute

These banks, Mortgage companies and realtors - The whole nexus of sharks have made refinance almost impossible since last week.. Any body else noticed that? What happened is as soon as FED cut down the rate this nexus dramatically reduces the price 10 - 15%. If you go to zillow, you would find at least 10% reduction published for almost every home with comparison to 5 days before... Something is cooking up.. I do not know what it may be...At least for VA, MD, DC based homes I see this pattern. It looks like, lenders do not want to invite refinances.. and that is scary. Even most sites shows the list of properties with less value under " property sold last in 6 months" and make the properties disappeared which wer sold with reasonable price. I noticed this pattern for many bank alerts as well. So now the real picture you can get from is the county database only to fight these sharks. Are they trying to divert all to government loans (FHA?)... watch out.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitation View Post
If I make money from a due to a piece of information or knowledge directly obtained from biggerpockets, I'll buy you a beer!
Atleast I could sqeeze a beer from you
I140 -
Received Date 07-02-07
Approval Date 01-30-08
RFE 02-05-08
Soft LUD 3-21-2008
Soft LUD 3-24-2008
Soft LUD 3-25-2008