Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Analysis Discussion > Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins
Click to log in with Facebook
Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins Issues surrounding the retrogression of the priority dates for the various employment based categories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2006, 11:07 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
iwantgc can only hope to improve
Default US universities losing international students, looking for more

Hi IV core members,

You might as well want to use this report to convince the house of congress to pass the skill bill in order to attract foreing students to come to united states. and tell them because of the gc issue no foreign students would want to come here in the US.

iwantgc

US universities losing international students, looking for more
21 September 2006

The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) has released a study indicating that foreign-born students are signing up for university studies in countries other than the United States. In 2004, 22% of university students in the U.S. were foreign-born, while 25% were foreign-born only two years before that.

The drop in U.S. market share has been matched by a 41 percent rise in the number of foreign students who enrolled in institutions elsewhere in the world. During this past summer, there have been numerous reports of U.S. universities seeking more students to fill their international student quotas. In some cases, universities are offering incentives, such as tuition waivers and additional housing assistance.

The OECD said that the "significant drop" in the proportion of foreign students going to the United States is partly due to tighter visa rules following 2001 terror attacks and country's passive approach in attracting them. Paralleling the decline in U.S. market share, countries like New Zealand, France and South Africa are attracting more foreign students by building up their own universities.

These countries have seen a more than one per cent rise in their foreign student population in the past four years, according to OECD's annual Education at a Glance survey. Several of the OECD's 30 member nations have also recently softened their immigration policies to encourage the influx of temporary or permanent international students.

"Worldwide competition for highly skilled workers is strong, and international students are increasingly regarded as a source of highly skilled immigrants by some OECD countries," the report said.

Despite the declining numbers, the United States still remains the top destination for education seekers with highest absolute number of overseas students. The United States, together with the United Kingdom, Germany and France attracted just over half of all foreign students pursuing their studies abroad in 2004.

Asian students comprise the largest group studying abroad, making up 45 percent of international students in OECD countries, with Chinese students accounting for 15 percent of this total. Australia was found to have the highest proportion of foreign students enrolling at its universities at almost 17 percent, followed by the United Kingdom at 13.4 percent and Switzerland at 12.7 percent.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2006, 11:31 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/03/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/05/2007
Compare
amoljak is just really nice amoljak is just really nice amoljak is just really nice amoljak is just really nice amoljak is just really nice
Default Wrong numbers

The article is misleading. The decline is % of foreign born students in US universities does not tell you anything.

It may mean that more US born people are going for college education... Also we don't know how many of those 22% are foreign born but are now American citizens.

US remains the most popular destination for higher education and US is not losing the students. You can judge that by the F1 visas issued.

2001 2002 2003 2004 2005
293,357 234,322 215,695 218,898 237,890

Source: http://travel.state.gov/pdf/FY05tableXVIb.pdf

Old 10-02-2006, 05:56 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Nigeria
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by techy2468
yes thats sadly true that students are still flocking to US universities.....and most computer sc engineers are landing a job within one month after completing their graduation.......so its a pretty good deal for them so far......but if retrogression is not resolved.......these people will not get GC and new people will be discouraged to come here.............but thats far-far in the future (2-3 years)............as of now there are not much negative effect becos of retrogression on USA business/people...(matter of fact its only affecting EB3/EB2 india........i saw a post on immigration portal of a EB1 indian whose 485 got approved within a month of filing...)
Retrogression CAN NOT discourage people from flocking to the US.