Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Analysis Discussion > Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins
Click to log in with Facebook
Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins Issues surrounding the retrogression of the priority dates for the various employment based categories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/17/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
vsrinir has a reputation beyond repute vsrinir has a reputation beyond repute vsrinir has a reputation beyond repute vsrinir has a reputation beyond repute vsrinir has a reputation beyond repute vsrinir has a reputation beyond repute vsrinir has a reputation beyond repute vsrinir has a reputation beyond repute vsrinir has a reputation beyond repute vsrinir has a reputation beyond repute vsrinir has a reputation beyond repute
Default CIR In Spring

http://www.ilw.com/immigdaily/digest/2008,1125.shtm

The Detroit Free Press quotes Senate Majority Leader Reid "On immigration, there's been an agreement between [Mr.] Obama and [Mr.] McCain to move forward on that. ... We'll do that"; and "We've got McCain and we've got a few others. I don't expect much of a fight at all." A report in The Cherry Hill Courier Post quotes a spokesman for the Senate Majority Leader "[Mr. Reid] plans to take up immigration reform but is still working with the new administration on timing ... House leaders also have promised to consider measures." As to when comprehensive immigration reform will come up before Congress, Immigration Daily has learnt that it will come to the floor early in 2009 though it is not currently planned for Mr. Obama's first 100 days. The Cherry Hill Courier Post quotes Sen. Menendez "If lawmakers don't consider the issue early, it could 'slide into midterms' -- the 2010 election -- and again become a contentious campaign issue. This is one of those issues that needs to be done early on."

Sen. Menendez and Rep. Gutierrez are on the warpath for early passage of CIR in the 111th Congress. Sen. Menendez had the courage to singlehandedly block a five year extension of E-Verify, and will doubtless push for a significant immigration benefits downpayment before March 6th when E-Verify is set to expire. Rep. Gutierrez and the House Hispanic caucus successfully blocked immigration benefits legislation in the 110th Congress to ensure continued support for CIR. The election results have strenghthened the hand of CIR supporters in Congress. We believe that Sen. Menendez and Rep. Gutierrez are on the right track, and urge immigration advocates to support their efforts.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute

It may be the reason March was selected for the DC Rally, despite the cold weather so members have complained about. ( Note : I did not select the date).

If CIR is coming up in Spring, we need to make our case - by showing good numbers -by the end of winter ; freezing or not. If we don't do that our issue is very highly to get lost in the Border security, employer verification and Legalization/Amnesty. If we finish the public show of strength - DC Rally and the Lobby Day in March, we can be ready to send Web-faxes, make phone calls etc. in Spring to push for our bills.

During our lobby day and DC Rally efforts, we should get lawmakers to understand our issues and number of people impacted (0.5 million at the least). Once majority of the lawmakers understand that we exist in large numbers, and are facing these problems, they will be more sympathetic when we make those last minute phone calls and faxes.

If we don't do the DC Rally and Lobby day successfully, chances are lower that they may not be be sympathetic to us without understanding the issue and the large number of people impacted.

The clock has already started ticking. We have to act fast. If we do nothing, we will miss the boat once again. Will you help IV put Recapture and Visa increase on the upcoming CIR? If we don't, we all have wait several more years for the relief.

Last edited by walking_dude; 11-25-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bugmenot is just really nice bugmenot is just really nice bugmenot is just really nice bugmenot is just really nice

i doubt they'll take it on in Spring, with little to no chance of economy recovering by that time (or that whole year) passing an immigration bill will see a major backlash from everyone.

Good intentions but doubt if it will happen

Old 11-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jul-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/19/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
geevikram has a brilliant future geevikram has a brilliant future geevikram has a brilliant future geevikram has a brilliant future geevikram has a brilliant future geevikram has a brilliant future geevikram has a brilliant future geevikram has a brilliant future geevikram has a brilliant future geevikram has a brilliant future geevikram has a brilliant future
Default ^^

It is still worth fighting for..I will make it to DC.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/10/2005
Compare
sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
i doubt they'll take it on in Spring, with little to no chance of economy recovering by that time (or that whole year) passing an immigration bill will see a major backlash from everyone.

Good intentions but doubt if it will happen
Is it not possible that Immigration reform is part of the economic reform. Say there are 15 million undocumented workers in US. Because they are undocumented over 99% don't pay taxes. On average if each undocumented pays $10,000/year taxes, it comes to additional revenue of $150 billion every year. This may not be enough to cover the cost of economic recovery, but it is still a substantial amount. Likewise, EB green cards could potentially bring in potential real estate buyers, which would help to bring back the economy.

The point is, immigration bill could be part of the economic agenda to revive the economy.

"The whole history of these books is so defective and doubtful that it seems vain to attempt minute enquiry into it: and such tricks have been played with their text, and with the texts of other books relating to them, that we have a right, from that cause, to entertain much doubt what parts of them are genuine. In the New Testament there is internal evidence that parts of it have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds. It is as easy to separate those parts, as to pick out diamonds from dunghills."

- One Great man to another, 1814

Old 11-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

We should not wait for CIR.
If it happens its great, but if it does not, then we should have plans ready now. There needs to be effort with the new administration for administrative relief and also to continue the dialog with USCIS and DOL that we have now. We also need to meet lawmakers again in the new congress and see any opportunities for us. All background work needs to happen long before there is even a mention of CIR timeline by lawmakers.

Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Mailing List

===================
I do not give legal advice. You can pay and get it from Lawyers. Just show me some love and click the links above to help ImmigrationVoice any way you choose.
-----------

Old 11-26-2008, 12:27 AM
Banned
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/08/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/26/2007
Compare
VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts
Default CIR must be defeated

CIR must be defeated. It has no benefits for legal immigrants but only for illegal immigrants. Worksite enforcement must be increased to make it impossible for illegal immigrants to make a living in the USA. If not, USA will become like Mexico and USA will lose it's magnet for attracting the world's best!

The economic basis for CIR is stupid. Illegals can still pay taxes using a TIN number. Most illegals make minimum wage - some might not even fall under the preview of the US tax law.

CIR is only a way for hispanic politicians to gain ground in the US. 90% of US problems are because of illegal immigration. Imagine if we have 15 million illegals legal - now, they are no longer doing jobs tha Americans want to do but they feel (and are probably going get fast track) like they are American citizens and demand non-farm American jobs. The whole cycle is stupid.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:43 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute

Let us not turn it into EB immigrants vs. undocumented fight. They are human beings too, with a dream for better tomorrow just like us.

As long as CIR includes fixes for EB immigration there is no reason to oppose Legalization or the CIR. We the last CIR was opposed by our community not because it had Amnesty, but because it was really bad for EB immigrants due to the short-sightedness or some hard-leftist politicians. If CIR 2007 had pro-EB measures included our community would have supported it CIR or not.

On a personal level, I support legalization as I am opposed to the formation of another underclass. Just like I feel it morally repulsive that Indians, Chinese, legal Mexicans and Phillipinos being denied voting rights for years based on the country of birth, it's equally repulsive that 12 million people will live in this country with no voting rights. (make no istake, most of them aren't going anywhere). It's a mockery of the reason that America broke away from the British Empire - 'No taxation without representation'. (Studies have shown many undocumented immigrants in good paying jobs pay taxes using fake or someone-else's SSN. These taxes add up to millions of dollars every year)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivekAhuja View Post
CIR must be defeated. It has no benefits for legal immigrants but only for illegal immigrants. Worksite enforcement must be increased to make it impossible for illegal immigrants to make a living in the USA. If not, USA will become like Mexico and USA will lose it's magnet for attracting the world's best!

The economic basis for CIR is stupid. Illegals can still pay taxes using a TIN number. Most illegals make minimum wage - some might not even fall under the preview of the US tax law.

CIR is only a way for hispanic politicians to gain ground in the US. 90% of US problems are because of illegal immigration. Imagine if we have 15 million illegals legal - now, they are no longer doing jobs tha Americans want to do but they feel (and are probably going get fast track) like they are American citizens and demand non-farm American jobs. The whole cycle is stupid.