Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Analysis Discussion > Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins
Click to log in with Facebook
Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins Issues surrounding the retrogression of the priority dates for the various employment based categories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2006, 12:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about
Default Social security benefits

I am one of the unfortunate thousands with Eb3 India PD 2004, and am starting my 9th year of H1b , seriously considering returning back home in 2007. Is it true that once you complete 40 credits of Social security , you will get social security benefits after your retirement for life, even if you have returned to your country after that?
Thanks.

Last edited by gcseeker2002; 11-18-2006 at 12:24 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2006, 01:53 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute
Default India is not in any of this list

Hi

Want more clarification. India is not on any of these list. SO being citizen of India and NOT BEING PERMANENT RESIDENT OF US how you can get SS outside of country?

Clarification will help many who dont like to wait more for GC in US after 10 yrs of service

Old 11-18-2006, 02:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonagn
Once you attain 40 quarters (4 are granted each calendar year based on yearly income -- not one per quarter), you will get SS regardless of where you live (except some 'terrorist states' currently Cuba and n.Korea -- who knows maybe India will be a terrorist state by the time you retire ).

See:
http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10137.html#what

Given that you are 'starting your 9th year of H1b', you likely already have between 33-36 credits. you could conceivably get 40 credits very early in 2007.

have you been getting your yearly SSA statement?
Yes I have got my SS statement , so sometime in 2007 or 2008 I would reach my 40 quarters, and I hope that would be good logical ending to my GC quest.

Old 11-18-2006, 02:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/16/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
sanjeev_2004 is infamous around these parts sanjeev_2004 is infamous around these parts
Default starting year of ss benefits

Guys,
What is starting year of ss benefit? If I work 10 years and gets 40 points and return to india at the age of lets 38 year without getting GC. Will I start getting ss benefit from next year of retrurning or at the age of 62 years.

thanks.

sanjeev tripathi

Old 11-18-2006, 05:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/24/2007
Compare
like_watching_paint_dry is infamous around these parts like_watching_paint_dry is infamous around these parts like_watching_paint_dry is infamous around these parts like_watching_paint_dry is infamous around these parts like_watching_paint_dry is infamous around these parts like_watching_paint_dry is infamous around these parts like_watching_paint_dry is infamous around these parts like_watching_paint_dry is infamous around these parts like_watching_paint_dry is infamous around these parts

you guys are assuming that the social security will remain solvent when you turn 62. i can pretty safely say that people like roy beck will be raiding those funds much before you can get your hands on them and they will leave nothing for you as they destroy the fund and the country.

Old 11-18-2006, 05:50 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/25/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/25/2005
Compare
alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pessimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by like_watching_paint_dry
you guys are assuming that the social security will remain solvent when you turn 62. i can pretty safely say that people like roy beck will be raiding those funds much before you can get your hands on them and they will leave nothing for you as they destroy the fund and the country.
Don't be so pessimistic. It is true that the finances of Social Security are in difficult shape. However that of other entitlements (like medicare) are in a much more dire shape with some estimates of insolvency by 2018 and would need to be addressed in the next 1-2 election cycles. Of course everyone would put it off as long as possible as this is a democracy and noone likes to make the public unhappy. Yet the time to address this issue is coming.
Current predictions for Social security are that by 2042..........about the time most people on the forum can expect to retire. The system will be able to pay out only about 73c out of every dollar it owes, and thats assuming zero changes to the current rules and noone is expecting that.
So whilst there will be some modifications made probably including..........means testing, raising qualifying age, and perhaps stricter qualification criteria, to predict the end of Social security payments might be too pessimistic. Now whether they will chop off the provision for non citizens to claim those benefits.........I cannot say. However in this litigenous country that would not be without a legal challenge since those funds are allegedly held by gov't in abeyance for the worker.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/16/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
sanjeev_2004 is infamous around these parts sanjeev_2004 is infamous around these parts
Default Continue 10 year

Guys,
To be eligble for ss Benefit do be have to work countinues 10 years. What if we work 7 years and go back to india for 1 year and come back and work again 3-4 years. In this case would be eligable for SS benefit or not?

Thanks.
sanjeev tripathi

Old 11-21-2006, 01:21 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/15/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/27/2010
Compare
the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeev_2004
Guys,
To be eligble for ss Benefit do be have to work countinues 10 years. What if we work 7 years and go back to india for 1 year and come back and work again 3-4 years. In this case would be eligable for SS benefit or not?

Thanks.
sanjeev tripathi
Yes, you would still be eligible for SS benefits. You have to put in a total of 40 credits to be eligible. These credits can be distributed over a period of time.

I am not a lawyer, so always do your own DD.