Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Analysis Discussion > Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins
Click to log in with Facebook
Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins Issues surrounding the retrogression of the priority dates for the various employment based categories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2015, 09:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Murryy79 is on a distinguished road
Smile Home Buying I140 approved. EB3 PD not current

Hello All:
I wanted to ask what would be risk/consequences in buying a house with I140 approved in EB3 and still a decade wait time for PD to become current.
Considering a solid job and new H4 EAD laws if a H1B employee were to buy a house and few years down if he looses job then what are the options to save the house or even sell it?

How much time H1B employee has to find a new H1B sponsor who's willing to port PD?

What are other alternatives/options ?

Thanks
MH
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2015, 11:26 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
moon_walker333 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murryy79 View Post
Hello All:
I wanted to ask what would be risk/consequences in buying a house with I140 approved in EB3 and still a decade wait time for PD to become current.
Considering a solid job and new H4 EAD laws if a H1B employee were to buy a house and few years down if he looses job then what are the options to save the house or even sell it?

How much time H1B employee has to find a new H1B sponsor who's willing to port PD?

Thanks
MH
Losing job does not mean you will lose your house. In case of job lost or going back to home country you can always sell your house with help from Realtor.

As far as I know you have 30 days to find a new H1B sponsor after you lose job. You can check with Immigration Lawyer to be sure.

With I140 approved and H4-EAD you are in far better position. I would say go ahead and buy the house.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-11
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice DMX17 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_walker333 View Post
Losing job does not mean you will lose your house. In case of job lost or going back to home country you can always sell your house with help from Realtor.

As far as I know you have 30 days to find a new H1B sponsor after you lose job. You can check with Immigration Lawyer to be sure.

With I140 approved and H4-EAD you are in far better position. I would say go ahead and buy the house.
Correction:
Currently, there is no "30 days" or any other grace period after losing job. You fall out of status on the day your job is terminated unless you have filed an H1 transfer/COS to other visa status.

I-140 EAD/AP rule should provide a great relief on this aspect though. Assuming that rule will be in effect in the next 6-8 months, home buying should come with less worries from immigration point of view.

That said, a lot of us in similar situation have bought homes accepting the risks.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
VinayJ is just really nice VinayJ is just really nice VinayJ is just really nice VinayJ is just really nice VinayJ is just really nice

Quote:
Hello All:

Thanks
MH
It depends on where you are buying the house and number of companies surrounding the area. If more companies, you will able to find jobs , but very few companies is always a risk. Take a calculated risk.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
foia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hello All:

Thanks
MH
What has "buying house" to do with your I-140? If you are worrying about going back, remember you are still on H1B. Your immigration situation is same until you get EAD or GC. That being said: Even if in worst case scenario, you can sell it.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:02 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
johnherry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Itís only after you get into intricacies of H-1B you will know the limitations.

100homeRemedies.com

Old 12-08-2015, 03:40 PM
Priority Date
:
May-11
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pd052011 has a reputation beyond repute pd052011 has a reputation beyond repute pd052011 has a reputation beyond repute pd052011 has a reputation beyond repute pd052011 has a reputation beyond repute pd052011 has a reputation beyond repute pd052011 has a reputation beyond repute pd052011 has a reputation beyond repute pd052011 has a reputation beyond repute pd052011 has a reputation beyond repute pd052011 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hello All:

Thanks
MH
Don't put your dreams on hold. Hope you buy the house and enjoy.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:31 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
PabloStratton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMX17 View Post
Correction:
Currently, there is no "30 days" or any other grace period after losing job. You fall out of status on the day your job is terminated unless you have filed an H1 transfer/COS to other visa status.

I-140 EAD/AP rule should provide a great relief on this aspect though. Assuming that rule will be in effect in the next 6-8 months, home buying should come with less worries from immigration point of view.

That said, a lot of us in similar situation have bought homes accepting the risks.
Thanks for sharing this information. I thought the grace period was there. But thank you for clearing my confusion.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:20 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
kishorda has much to be proud of kishorda has much to be proud of kishorda has much to be proud of kishorda has much to be proud of kishorda has much to be proud of kishorda has much to be proud of kishorda has much to be proud of kishorda has much to be proud of kishorda has much to be proud of kishorda has much to be proud of
Default Dont Wait

After waiting for 10 years i brought house last month. I think i waited too long my suggestion is that you should buy house.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Green06 is just really nice Green06 is just really nice Green06 is just really nice Green06 is just really nice

I know what your are going through but go ahead and buy, don't put your house dreams on hold, just make sure it is commutable to the main city just in case you have to switch jobs etc. we all are already suffering really bad but atleast you and your family will have bigger space to live and enjoy. You can also put it on rent incase needed I have two houses while on H1b. Just my 2 cents

http://immigrationvoice.org/index.ph...d=72&Itemid=52