Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Analysis Discussion > Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins
Click to log in with Facebook
Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins Issues surrounding the retrogression of the priority dates for the various employment based categories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2006, 11:58 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
prabirmehta is on a distinguished road
Default Senator Saxby Chambliss (R-GA)

The webfaxes are effective! I just got off the phone with Senator Chambliss' immigration department. The person I spoke with (can't remember his name) mentioned the usual spiel: They were working on increasing the H1-B cap. They didn't seem aware of the retrogression issues. I clarified the problems we are facing and how they shouldn't be combined with illegal immigration and H1-b issues. He mentioned that the senate (with Senator Chambliss' help) passed legislation a couple of months ago to recapture visa numbers and was waiting for the House to pass the same measure. Is that true? In any case, our message is reaching the corridors of power. Good job guys!
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/03/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/05/2007
Compare
amoljak is just really nice amoljak is just really nice amoljak is just really nice amoljak is just really nice amoljak is just really nice
Default s1932

I think he was talking about s1932... the immigration related provisions were removed from that in the conference. You need inform them that they should at least get behind the Frist bill or Spector bill and request them to support removing the hard limits on the country quotas.

Some talking points may be:
Ask them if they support quotas for college admissions, and then ask if they support country quotas for immigration...
Explain how quotas that are not tied to population are punishing countries like India and China with larger population.
Also explain how government is dictating to the companies where they can get the talent from and how that harms businesses as it punishes countries with good education system and large talent pools.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-01
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eb_retrogession is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabirmehta
The webfaxes are effective! I just got off the phone with Senator Chambliss' immigration department. The person I spoke with (can't remember his name) mentioned the usual spiel: They were working on increasing the H1-B cap. They didn't seem aware of the retrogression issues. I clarified the problems we are facing and how they shouldn't be combined with illegal immigration and H1-b issues. He mentioned that the senate (with Senator Chambliss' help) passed legislation a couple of months ago to recapture visa numbers and was waiting for the House to pass the same measure. Is that true? In any case, our message is reaching the corridors of power. Good job guys!
If my memory serves me right, I think Chambliss was a part of the conference committee for S1932. I would be very surprised if his staff didn't know that these provisions were taken off from that bill.

prabir, try to follow up with this gentleman and see if he can give you a chance to talk f2f

Old 03-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Re: s1932

Thanks! S1932 might have been the law he was talking about. I think his job was more to reassure people that they were working on the problem... he didn't seem to be aware of the specifics. He did mention that Senator Chambliss is going to support Senator Specter's proposal.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Senator Chambliss

Thanks, I'll call Senator Chambliss' office and try to request a meeting.

Old 03-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/19/2007
Chargeability
:
Kenya
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Compare
jkays94 is on a distinguished road

Actually the provisions in S 1932 (Sections 8001 and 8002) were dropped when the bill went to the House. The members who handled the fate of the immigration provisions in the house were Reps Conyers, Sessenbrenner and Lamars. It was argued that the Budget Reconciliation Bill (S 1932) should not include any immigration provisions as they should instead be included in future Comprehensive immigration reform. These sections which had already been passed by the Senate were dropped quietly by the 3 member panel in the final conference report. Given the rush to pass this bill among others, members of the Senate may not be aware that these provisions were dropped when they got to the house. While new legislation offers to increase the EB quotas, the provision to allow one to apply for I-485 (GC) and I-140 concurrently upon receiving Labor certification clearance even in the absence of a current visa number ( current priority date) is missing from the proposals, a key measure that would greatly alleviate the suffering of those who suffer from visa retrogression.

Last edited by jkays94; 03-22-2006 at 03:06 PM.

Old 03-22-2006, 03:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Re: s1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkays94
Actually the provisions in S 1932 (Sections 8001 and 8002) were dropped when the bill went to the House. The members who handled the fate of the immigration provisions in the house were Reps Conyers, Sessenbrenner and Lamars. It was argued that the Budget Reconciliation Bill (S 1932) should not include any immigration provisions as they should instead be included in future Comprehensive immigration reform. These sections which had already been passed by the Senate were dropped quietly by the 3 member panel in the final conference report. Given the rush to pass this bill among others, members of the Senate may not be aware that these provisions were dropped when they got to the house. While new legislation offers to increase the EB quotas, the provision to allow one to apply for I-485 (GC) and I-140 concurrently upon receiving Labor certification clearance even in the absence of a current visa number ( current priority date) is missing from the proposals, a key measure that would greatly alleviate the suffering of those who suffer from visa retrogression.
Thanks for the information. I have sent a personal e-mail to Senator Chambliss following up on the phone conversating and requesting a meeting. I have also sent personal e-mails to my other representatives. I will call them on Friday.

Old 03-22-2006, 10:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/19/2007
Chargeability
:
Kenya
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Compare
jkays94 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabirmehta
Thanks for the information. I have sent a personal e-mail to Senator Chambliss following up on the phone conversating and requesting a meeting. I have also sent personal e-mails to my other representatives. I will call them on Friday.

You're welcome, great! keep us updated, I believe most of the Senators are unaware of the impact and plight of high skilled employment based GC applicants. The eventual fate in the house of the immigration provisions in S1932 has indeed created the false impression in the senate that these issues were addressed in the bill. Keep up the good work, its important that we get the message urgently to the different senate offices given that Senator Frist indeeds to have one of the Comprehensive Immigration bills debated on the senate floor starting this coming Monday (March 27th)