Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Analysis Discussion > Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins
Click to log in with Facebook
Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins Issues surrounding the retrogression of the priority dates for the various employment based categories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2006, 03:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-08
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
shivaniraina is infamous around these parts
Default are MBA's counted under STEM

Can anyone tell me if the MBA degree will also be considered STEM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Priority Date
:
May-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Compare
GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold

Nope. Unless it has some Technology concentration.

Old 03-24-2006, 09:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
knnmbd is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Guys!! I have no idea what can bring sense to all of us and unify our voice. America is not our " Fathers or In -Laws " house to give or grant what we want. There is a reason behind why STEM has been established...because there is a shortage for highly skilled and intellectual people. They dont need any software engineers because the golden period of 90s for tech boom is done....now the boom is in BANGALORE!!! So guys jobs have been outsourced and there is no big demand for the techies...and we all know it..DONT WE??? Coming to MBA's i have mentioned this in my earlier post too, there are so many MBAs already here and nstead of mindlessly saying we want MBA's included or we should get EADs for H4 or the next Pope should be an H1B waiting for GC!!!

We should concentrate on efficency of USCIS, increasing the number of Visas rather than adding clauses based on our whims and fancies. America needs Engineers, Scientists, Mathematicians, Biologists, Professors who will bring about innovation and be involved in research because thats what drives a country. What can we techies contribute other than programming which by the way people in INDIA are doing for less if not any better.

Just by paying taxes we cant call what they are doing is unjust against human rights ...etc How many of us tried to write or call our own Netas in India against corruption or any other slight problem.When we didnt exercise our right there...this country is not even ours how can we expect them to show pity on us and include the clauses we want. We have to our earn the rights to get permanent residency and for that if one has to get a Masters Degree maybe thats the price.

A lot of Students come to America on F1 by spending on an average $15000 t0 $20000K and sometimes more and after the downturn when there were no jobs some of these students even paid for a second masters and even Phds without aid when we in california raked in sign in bonuses and all other moolah. Maybe this is the pay back time for people with advanced degrees and lets all accept it gracefully. I know each of us want to continue to live the good old American dream but although the truth is bitter lets be rational with our demands and work towards an educated goal.
Edit/Delete Message

Old 03-24-2006, 10:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Chargeability
:
Brazil
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Compare
Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future

Our demand should be reasonable.. The law makers knows what kind of people they want. One may have MBA or MA, and they may feel their degree is valuable to America. However it is up to the lawmakers to decide what they want.

One guy was asking whether social science considered as science as it is having science. I am not undermining any degree or any branch. We have to appricate atleast they are excempting STEM from numarical count.

As knnmbd said, the period of IT is over. Manufacturing has gone to China. IT has gone to India. What america need at this moment is innovation, research, new technology, alternate energy to overcome growing energy crisis, environmental care health care, nanotechnology, any advanced research to keep america in leading edge. Thats why lawmakers are talking about STEM.

Old 03-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
mrajatish will become famous soon enough mrajatish will become famous soon enough
Exclamation

Again, I want to point somethingout and that is because I myself work in that field - there are people with MS in Computer Science working in core Systems which require their Masters degree knowledge. So, it is not like IT is not included, people with masters in Computer Science is included in STEM.

Old 03-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrajatish
Again, I want to point somethingout and that is because I myself work in that field - there are people with MS in Computer Science working in core Systems which require their Masters degree knowledge. So, it is not like IT is not included, people with masters in Computer Science is included in STEM.
Any Master of Science is good enough IF you are working in a related field. Comp science, Information Systems, Electrical Engg etc.

Old 03-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
mrajatish will become famous soon enough mrajatish will become famous soon enough

Yup, you are right - thanks for pointing this out.

Old 03-25-2006, 09:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-01
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/21/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/21/2007
Compare
arindamb is on a distinguished road
Default what is a related job ?

I feel "related" might be the key word that can cause discomfort for a lot of people. How does one determine that ones job is related to his/her degree ? This might finally be left upto the discretion of the USCIS.

One might have studied electrical engineering and then get in a job writing embedded systems software. Will that be a related job ?
One might have an MS in Biological sciences but might be writing software for genetics. Is that a related job ? The list can go on.

How far can one digress from ones degree major to still be considered related.
I presume we might see a lot of confusion regarding STEM if the whole thing is made into a law.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
brb2 will become famous soon enough brb2 will become famous soon enough

I guess USCIS will go by the degree first and then look if the field is related. The lawyers in this country are pretty good in converting anything to a high skills job and justify the labor shortage. For a starter an US MS qualified guy can be sponsored for an H1B for optimizing the fuel stocks (read gas station attendant).

Old 03-26-2006, 10:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
PD073102VA is on a distinguished road

One thing is for sure, regardless of the intent of the law to facilitate immigration of people with graduate degrees in STEM, USCIS will make sure to get into the weeds of proving or disproving that either the degree is not really technical and/or the field is not related to the degree.

It is so easy to get into fields of enigneering and technology that are not directly related to your "field of graduate studies" but you just happened ending up in that field by virtue of opportunities that came across in your professional life. Such fields could be classified as "unrelated" by USCIS even though, execution of job in that field may not be possible without gaining knowledge in the "actual field of study".

Lawmakers make laws to make things easier for people and organizations like DOL and USCIS leave no stone unturned to use the very same laws to make people's lives hell.