Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Analysis Discussion > Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins
Click to log in with Facebook
Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins Issues surrounding the retrogression of the priority dates for the various employment based categories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2006, 08:01 AM
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/14/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/14/2004
Compare
jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stop this in desi Media

Today Times of India has published an article "Immigrants cost Americans low-skilled jobs". They have referred a study by Center for Immigration Studies. I have already written to TOI for publishing this and urged them to stop helping anti-immigrant groups by publishing such articles. All members please post comments on this article and ask TOI to stop nonsense. whether low-skilled or high skilled this is going to help anti-immigrant cause.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...ow/1463861.cms

Last edited by jungalee43; 03-26-2006 at 11:40 PM. Reason: correction
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
black_logs is on a distinguished road

TOI is the champion of these kind of nonsense, after S.1932 was passed by the senate they published an article saying 'Good news, A bill for Green card increase, H1B increase ..... have been passed by U.S. lawmakers' with no mention of house hurdle etc. I fail to digest that the reporter who is writing the article doesn't know, after the bills get passed in the Senate they go to Congress. But it's TOI they can do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungalee43
Today Times of India has published an article "Immigrants cost Americans low-skilled jobs". They have referred a study by Center for Immigration Studies. I have already thrashed TOI for publishing such nonsense and urged them to stop helping anti-immigrant groups by publishing such stupid articles. All members please post comments on this article and ask TOI to stop nonsense. whether low-skilled or high skilled this is going to help anti-immigrant cause.

Old 03-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/05/2008
Compare
MerciesOfInjustices has a spectacular aura about MerciesOfInjustices has a spectacular aura about MerciesOfInjustices has a spectacular aura about
Default Write to TOI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_logs
TOI is the champion of these kind of nonsense, after S.1932 was passed by the senate they published an article saying 'Good news, A bill for Green card increase, H1B increase ..... have been passed by U.S. lawmakers' with no mention of house hurdle etc. I fail to digest that the reporter who is writing the article doesn't know, after the bills get passed in the Senate they go to Congress. But it's TOI they can do that.
Write to TOI, the article is from a news agency but they should be talking about legal immigration issues more.

Last edited by MerciesOfInjustices; 03-26-2006 at 10:53 PM.

Old 03-25-2006, 10:19 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute
Default What is the phone number of Washington office

OF times of india.

Let us flood their office with phone calls asking them to stop publishing articles that dont make sense and put stuff up there that representative of both the side of the debate.

Does this brainiac know that how many businesses have shut down due to lack of unskilled low-wage workers especially in the argicultural businesses? Not that its our job to make arguments favoring illegals - we have our own problems to deal with - however this article is titled wrongly and not supported by facts.

I have never read timesofindia in last 2 years because of irritant 100 million pop ups of phonecards and airline tickets. The website just is basically not the same thing as print edition. The website looks like a tabloit coverpage.

--Jay.

Old 03-25-2006, 10:30 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
booz is on a distinguished road
Default replied

Dear Mr. Chidanand Rajghatta,

This is in refernce to TOI's article

If you want to print that Laloo Prasad cow was sick and was taken to hospital as the headline news,, fine with me.

But please don't write about immigration issues when u guys don't research properly.

We have come here through legal immigration channels and we hope that our GC's or H1b gets cleared soon.

Most of us would have stayed back if the Mandal comission / V.P. Singh wouldn't have spoiled our lives.

Old 03-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Compare
sertasheep will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Letter sent to Chidanand and editor

<EDIT>
added hyperlink to Enquiro Report
</EDIT>

Chidanand Rajaghatta is a guy who spends time in different countries and writes about his travails. Obviously, he's not completely educated on this, and I guess may be we could take this opportunity to make him and TOI aware of our efforts.

I have sent out the following email.(between asteriskes). I'll post any responses I may(will I?) receive.

Dear Mr. Rajaghatta, and Editor,

I have been a consistent reader of your articles on your travels the world over. The headline for your latest article seemed a little sensational to me, without any mention of the word "Illegal".

The NRI community(read "legal immigrants" and "legal immigrant applicants") are aware of the new Guest Worker program proposed by Mr. George Bush, but it doesn't really affect the Indian diaspora at all, because majority of us are in the US legally.

The article seemed out of context and irrelevant in a esteemed publication such as TOI. Why don't you instead write about current issues that are plaguing the NRI community? Those would be directly relevant to the concerns of affected NRIs and would draw more readers to you.

I have recently concluded a research paper(as part of my Masters program) on the inefficiencies of the US Immigration system, and its impact on applicants, especially from countries such as India and China. The outdated workflows and holes in the Immigration system have led to endless waits and affected many immigration applicants, thereby impacting US economy in terms of tax dollars, jobs lost to overseas(outsourcing), and subsequently, loss of precious foreign exchange to the home countries of these applicants.

Applicants are forced to spend precious time and effort in speculating and predicting the outcome of their immigration benefits. As per a Internet search engine study, (See Enquiro Search Engine Report, Aug 2005 http://www.enquiro.com/net-profit/Murthy-vs-Goliath.asp ), it is the website of a US Immigration Lawyer (across all practices) that gets the most eyeballs(hits), worldwide! This is testimony to the fact that several hours are spent by applicants in anticipation and speculation.

I would more than willing to collaborate and share these thoughts with you, to fuel your interest further.

May I also draw your attention to some of the grass-roots organizations fighting for these causes? One notable organization is "Immigration Voice" which is gaining great momentum.(www.immigrationvoice.org)

Best Regards

"Celebrate, Have Faith and Maintain Hope"--the byline of a popular immigration attorney. Isn't this quite true?

Old 03-25-2006, 07:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-01
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eb_retrogession is on a distinguished road

I've sent this writer some facts and figures, and apprised him of our efforts as well. Hopefully he'll respond.

Thanks

Old 03-25-2006, 09:22 PM
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/14/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/14/2004
Compare
jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute
Default I have written to Mr.Rajghatta

I have also written to Mr. Rajghatta explaining several facts. The draft is similar to one given by sertasheep

Last edited by jungalee43; 03-25-2006 at 09:25 PM.

Old 03-26-2006, 12:00 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dpsg is on a distinguished road
Default Media should report the news

I think timesofindia has a right to report news. They are not a lobby group ..they are a newspaper. Give them a break.

Although I do agree It is a poor quality newspaper, You can clearly see cheap shots on its main webpage.and the news selection for headlines is extremly british tabloid kind...flashy and worthless .

They also run "economictimes" for business news, which is considered premier business newspaper in india... I feel really disappointed when
I compare its quality with "wall street journal" or "businessweek".

Last edited by dpsg; 03-26-2006 at 12:02 AM.

Old 03-26-2006, 01:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Compare
sertasheep will become famous soon enough

dpsg,

I think the point we're trying to make is TOI could probably write about "relevant" problems. Illegal immigration is not a problem we're fighting in this forum. Anyone recollect an article in recent times in TOI on impact of GC backlog and retrogression?

The press is the primary forum for people's voices to be heard even in a difficult democracy like India.

Let the media be aware of the problems NRIs are going through. Most people back home(Des) will think that people in the US have a cushy life with no worries, when the reality is different.

This topic is really debatable, but its simply my humble opinion.

And guess what: making the India NRI minister (Vayalar Ravi) of these issues didn't even result in getting an email response back. We might as well expect that "nothing will happen". But, what's the harm in trying? Just a few minutes of time (and electrons) expended).

Old 03-26-2006, 09:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-01
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eb_retrogession is on a distinguished road
Default PLEASE READ-Immigration Voice policy for media relations

It is the policy of Immigration Voice NOT to criticize anybody's opinions or views by any media outlet. We beleive that everyone is entitled to their position on any given issue.

We have received very critical remarks from certain journalists about offensive messages sent by writers referencing Immigration Voice. IV has a dedicated media relations team that responds to relevant articles, as appropriate and ONLY such responses will be considered official communications from IV. If you want to join the effort, please send a note to sunil@immigrationvoice.org and your help would be a welcome.

However, we request that any personal responses, especially with offensive language, not to reference IV that will show us in a bad light.

Thank You for your understanding.

Old 03-26-2006, 09:58 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
brb2 will become famous soon enough brb2 will become famous soon enough

The worst thing about TOI is that they routinely censor out on-line posts which are critical of their article/opinion. Since then I have stopped posting anything on TOI. On-line editors seem to be control freaks.