Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Analysis Discussion > Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins
Click to log in with Facebook
Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins Issues surrounding the retrogression of the priority dates for the various employment based categories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
iwantgc can only hope to improve
Question Office of Congress called my home re: GC retro and H1B email I sent them

Hello all,

While I was out, the office of Congress called my home last night in regards to the email i sent them a month ago about the GC retrogression and H1B shortage. They asked me to return their call, I hold off calling them back because I'm confused of what to say, the thing is i don't want to disclose where I work (don't want to get my company involved). But really I am not sure what they have called me for given that email i sent them. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/22/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/13/2007
Compare
gdhiren will become famous soon enough gdhiren will become famous soon enough

There is nothing to be afraid of. I don't think they will even ask where you work. Just talk about Employment based GC retrogression problem and Immigration Voice. They are not interested in hunting down you or your company.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantgc
Hello all,

While I was out, the office of Congress called my home last night in regards to the email i sent them a month ago about the GC retrogression and H1B shortage. They asked me to return their call, I hold off calling them back because I'm confused of what to say, the thing is i don't want to disclose where I work (don't want to get my company involved). But really I am not sure what they have called me for given that email i sent them. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Good to hear that.
You must follow up with them and tell them that you are an IV member and stuck in rertrogression. Educate them a bit about the long delays in the green card process and seek an appointment with them so that you can discuss the issues in person. As soon as you seek an appointment, get in touch with IV. (varsha at immigrationvoioce.org and sanjay at immigrationvoice.org )and they will guide you for the meeting.
These are good signs that the office wants to discuss your concerns. Make use of the opportunity and help this community and yourself by following it up. If you would not like to disclose your employer to the lawmaker, that is fine. Generally lawmaker offices are considerate and very friendly. You will like the experience after you have met them.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/12/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
hibhagya is on a distinguished road
Default Try to get some help from Immigration Vioce folks moderators

First thing i would try is call Immigration moderators and explain the situation and ask them some notes.
Try to mixyour story with the notes and present to them.

second option:
Try to go through some threads and gain some knowledge about what they will ask and how to make it effective to listeners.

I guess there is no issues even if they try to find any information about your employer or your self.They are not investiagting on you ,all they are doing is analyze the issues of immigration system.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Hello all and Pappu, thank you all for your response. I will take Pappu's advice as far as what to discuss with them plus my family's concern, my husband who had to be away from me for straight two years has returned to US and been hopeful to get a work permit through my GC process.

I am planning to return a call to the office of congressat 12 noon mountain time, im in Nebraska. I will keep in touch with IV core members after then.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Thanks for your opinion.

I would also appreciate if someone could provide me some notes before I call them at 12 noon.

Thank you in advance.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2008
Compare
kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute

Dont worry they would not retaliate. I had written highly critical emails back in 2004. Not a problem.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Compare
johnnybhai will become famous soon enough
Default Any updates?

Curious.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/16/2006
Chargeability
:
Canada
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2006
Compare
bobzibub has much to be proud of bobzibub has much to be proud of bobzibub has much to be proud of bobzibub has much to be proud of bobzibub has much to be proud of bobzibub has much to be proud of bobzibub has much to be proud of bobzibub has much to be proud of bobzibub has much to be proud of
Default Some points from moi....

1) Backlog breeds backlogs.
- Long processing times means that related things must get renewed. For instance, if you are waiting for an I-140, you have to renew the h-1b because the I-140 processing takes so long. This creates unnecessary extra work load for USCIS. They need to address work flow issues and legal issues to streamline the process.

2) If Americans waited five years for a driver's license or a building permit because of a quota, they'd have a second revolution.

3) USCIS is so busy that we believe that they use Requests for Evidence as workload management. Send an RFE if you can't get to it. This creates more work.

4) When we are waiting for these backlogs to clear, we need company's lawyers to change jobs. This places undue burdens upon prospective employers and restricts to larger firms. Labor mobility is important for wage levels to increase. Often someone gets a job and waits for many years to get another one. In many sectors of the economy, the job market can fluctuate leaving the employee in a position with a previous cycle's wage level.

5) We miss our freedom. (The irony!) Being locked into this process limits our ability to be able to contract with a business associate to do things on the side. For a computer guy, that hurts. Plus, if we are not legally allowed to work (waiting for USCIS), we should be able to volunteer. Volunteer work is a tradition for Americans, why not us too?

6) Countries compete for a limited pool of skilled labor. Countries subsidize training to increase their skilled labor pools. Should our issues not get resolved, many of us will leave for better deals in other lands. The economic question the US should consider is: Are more skilled workers better for an economy or are less skilled workers better for the economy? Clearly the answer is more skilled workers. What country would want less skilled workers? There are significant economic advantages to having skilled workers in an economy that overwhelm any wage rate influences. The people who founded many of Silicon Valley's giants were immigrants and have created countless jobs.
There are issues with training native IT professionals, but that is separate to immigrants. We have benefited from our training and we do agree to the need to train and re-train. But policy is not of our making and we should not be blamed for it. Introduce a subsidy for training, but do not blame foreigners for those policy issues.

7) Many attempt to pit the US low skilled worker against the low skilled immigrants. Also they attempt to pit the US high skilled US worker against the high skilled immigrants. It is simply a matter of "divide and conquer" for political ends. Because immigrants do not make policy, Americans do. It is unfair to blame immigrants for US policy.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
va_il is on a distinguished road
Default Help need to contact Sanator on my pending case

Hi,
Our 485 is pending for quite some time with no updates even though we recently went for our FP. Earlier we used to see an update when we log into our account on USCIS.

I would like to meet with Congressman/Senator to find my case status and give it a push. My objective is to get an exact status of my case and why its delayed and also to find the name check status.

Could anyone please suggest how to go about this i have never met with lawmakers before. How should i book an appointment and what should i say it is for? What information they would need from me to pursue my request?

Btw i live in Northern Virginia .. who should i visit ?
Would i be meeting with lawmaker or only with their staff?
Do i have to take the USCIS and FBI contact info for them to call? Mine is pending in NSC.

Appreciate any guidance in this regard from people who has gone thru this path before. I hope contacting Congressman wouldn't have a negative effect on my case.
-A

Old 05-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute
Default I did get a good response

I wrote a strong but polite letter with a special request on the very top of the letter for his staff ...." Office staff, for GOD's sake please read this letter & DO not send a generic reply"

I got a call back from their office in no time & she said... please let me know what you want us to do to solve your problem.

This was in Ohio

I will suggest you to call the Congressman instead of Senator as they are more focussed. Send a letter & even better just drive up & meet them. You will not be able to meet the Congressman but the office staff will take care of your problem

all the best

Old 05-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
va_il is on a distinguished road

Thanks PCS. I am not sure congressman office staff will be familiar with USCIS, 485 and such things. That is why i am wonder whats the best way to approach or phrase my question so that they wont be confused but can get their attention.

I plan to book an appointment and drive there ... i guess i can do that right.