Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Analysis Discussion > Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins
Click to log in with Facebook
Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins Issues surrounding the retrogression of the priority dates for the various employment based categories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/15/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/09/2007
Compare
conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future
Default Indian Consulate

I was wondering if we have approached "Consulate General of India" and Ministry for Immigrant Indians (Aapravasi Bhartiya Mantralaya) and check if they can help us in this visa fiasco. Indian statesman and good enough in visiting America to get foreign investment at the state or central level, but where do they stand when the same disapora need their help to find injustice they face on the foreign land. Any thoughts?

May be we can get their help to gather support from pro India congressmen and senators

Last edited by conchshell; 07-07-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchshell
I was wondering if we have approached "Consulate General of India" and Ministry for Immigrant Indians (Aapravasi Bhartiya Mantralaya) and check if they can help us in this visa fiasco. Indian statesman and good enough in visiting America to get foreign investment at the state or central level, but where do they stand when the same disapora need their help to find injustice they face on the foreign land. Any thoughts?

May be we can get their help to gather support from pro India congressmen and senators
Sounds like a good idea.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tikka is just really nice tikka is just really nice tikka is just really nice tikka is just really nice
Default What kind of help

anything in specific?

Old 07-08-2007, 11:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
perm2gc will become famous soon enough perm2gc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchshell

India govt will not involve in USA internal matters.Idea was floated long back by few members and core team responded to it.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h1bmajdoor is infamous around these parts h1bmajdoor is infamous around these parts h1bmajdoor is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perm2gc
India govt will not involve in USA internal matters.Idea was floated long back by few members and core team responded to it.
this is BS.

The interests of indian citizens resident in the USA (all decent taxpayers) are not being taken care of by the US political system. There is a clear pattern of exploitation by employers and neglect by CIS, FBI and others.

In this situation, the interests of Indian citizens should be taken up by the Indian parliament. If they want to shy away from their duty, it should be taken up by the UN.

you can't handle the truth.
you can't even handle the lies.
=====================

Old 07-09-2007, 12:17 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tikka is just really nice tikka is just really nice tikka is just really nice tikka is just really nice
Default so has anyone

approached the consulate

In DC or wherever

Old 07-09-2007, 12:39 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/29/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/29/2006
Compare
sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1bmajdoor
this is BS.

The interests of indian citizens resident in the USA (all decent taxpayers) are not being taken care of by the US political system. There is a clear pattern of exploitation by employers and neglect by CIS, FBI and others.

In this situation, the interests of Indian citizens should be taken up by the Indian parliament. If they want to shy away from their duty, it should be taken up by the UN.
As far as I know - a large number of us in the USA do not need to pay Indian taxes on our US income.......unlike USA - Govt of India does not tax its overseas citizens' foreign income......(for that matter GC holders are also liable to pay US taxes when they are outside USA).

Under these circumstances and the fact the Govt of India has much more serious issues on hand- I find it very selfish to go ask for their help for a set of relatively well to do, highly educated professionals working for mostly personal gains outside their motherland.......

Its one thing GoI stepping in against exploitation of labor in middle east or advocating for med students in UK - most of us are established professionals who have consciously chosen our battles - we should not shy away from those battles and suddenly ask for motherland's help.....

BTW - I am in the same boat......actually a bit worse perhaps..since I am filed under EB1 and was current till last month and only 2 months or so away from GC before current bulletin......

Old 07-09-2007, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Go West

It may be counterproductive to get Indian government involved, as has been pointed out by IV before.

The recent WTO talks failed and US trade rep blamed India and Brazil for the failure. Why wouldn't US use this as a trade negotiation issue with India, instead of solving it as a domestic procedural issue. Once that happens the likes of Lou Doubbs will hijack this issue and make it US vs India.

- If at all there is a trade issue, it is for H1-B visas. Once you are at AOS stage even that motivation goes away.

My suggestion is to focus on domestic media and local congresspeople, who can be more helpful.

Lets try to be part of the community we want to be "permanent immigrant" of, instead of looking towards Indian govt., which can't do much here anyways

Old 07-09-2007, 01:14 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
skd has much to be proud of skd has much to be proud of skd has much to be proud of skd has much to be proud of skd has much to be proud of skd has much to be proud of skd has much to be proud of skd has much to be proud of skd has much to be proud of skd has much to be proud of
Default I agree

Even I feel very selfish to go ask for their help for a set of relatively well to do, when we know we don't pay taxes in "motherland" Most of us graduated on Goverment Money and not giving anything back.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:22 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/25/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Compare
rkumar18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by skd
Even I feel very selfish to go ask for their help for a set of relatively well to do, when we know we don't pay taxes in "motherland" Most of us graduated on Goverment Money and not giving anything back.
what an irony...asking our government to help us become permanent residents to another country!!

Old 07-09-2007, 01:25 AM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Its a bad idea to involve Indian Consulate

Hi Guys,
Just expressing my opinion. I too feel its not good idea to involve Indian Consulate, just coz we are in course of becoming a permanent resident of a different country and it has nothing to do with our Indian citizenship.
Jay

Old 07-09-2007, 02:44 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute
Default P Chidambaram's stand on similar issue

Chindambaram's statement on HSMP rule change. Article has mention of H1B too.
This is why I think it is not such a bad idea. Yeah, there may be other reasons why IV core does not think this is a good idea.

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2007_...ion_policy.htm

30 January 2007

There are close cultural and economic ties between the The United Kingdom and India. However, the two Countries are at odds over immigration. The Indian Finance Minister, Palaniappan Chidambaram, has warned that Britain would be the "loser" if immigration laws are not relaxed to make it easier for Indians to work in the UK.

Since 5 December 2006 it has become more difficult for many overseas workers to obtain the coveted HSMP visa in the UK. This is a sore point between the two nations at a time when both are looking at forging closer economic ties. However, it should be noted that there is no quota on the number of skilled professionals allowed into the UK under the HSMP or work permit scheme.

Recent comments during a trip to India from Gordon Brown, UK's Chancellor of the Exchequer, about raising caps on foreign investment, were considered a bit absurd by some business commentators because his government had just made sweeping changes to the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP), affecting several thousand Indians. Indians are the largest national group affected by the changes.

"Many knowledge workers could go abroad for three months, six months or a year and add to our exports, but they are constrained by a very restrictive visa regime and local tax laws," said Mr. Chidambaram.

"If a qualified professional from India is denied entry and that place is taken by a less qualified person from, say, Eastern Europe, surely the UK is the loser?"

Mr. Chidambaram's comment seems directed at various European Union policies to favor professionals from within the EU. One of the main aims of the EU is to make it possible for an EU citizen to work freely in any EU Country. Most EU Citizens have been able to benefit from the free movement provisions for many years.

A very similar line of reasoning is regularly put forth regarding the H-1B visa in the United States. Both the U.S. and the UK, along with all the most advanced western nations such as Canada, Australia and New Zealand, are aggressively competing for the most educated and skilled migrant workers from around the globe, regardless of country of origin. However, compared to employers in the other Countries, it is quite difficult for US employers to obtain a visa to employ skilled professionals in the US.

Mr. Chidambaram, 61, was educated at Harvard Business School and represents himself as a strong supporter of free trade.