Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Analysis Discussion > Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins
Click to log in with Facebook
Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins Issues surrounding the retrogression of the priority dates for the various employment based categories

View Poll Results: ONLY BAY AREA RESIDENTS RESPOND: Will you attend the rally in San Jose on 07/14
Yes 122 43.11%
Yes and will bring friends/family/spouse 50 17.67%
No 67 23.67%
Maybe 44 15.55%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2007, 05:43 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/31/2008
Compare
rangaswamy has a spectacular aura about rangaswamy has a spectacular aura about rangaswamy has a spectacular aura about
Default Update From The Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4hopeful
They have all gathered, and probably some media is there, I bet that Logiclife - Franklin - Etc. are updating the core team about the events, if anybody is having any conversation with anyone at the rally please post the number of people, media, etc, thanks

Just got back from the rally, i would say it was a big success. Media coverage on the issue was fantastic. I saw the ABC7 news truck. There were many reporters from SJ Mercury news, SF Chronicle etc. Crowd was good, dont want to speculate on numbers yet but we should have an official word soon.

Police were very friendly. The crowd was very enthusiastic and also obeyed the rules. All of us stayed on side walks. Logiclife and Frankilin among others were there. Many reporters spread out and spoke to people.

Lot of members from another groups called Immigration Rights also joined us.

We got lot of honks. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Great JOB IV and everyone.

A
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
delhirocks will become famous soon enough

Good to know...good job guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaswamy
Just got back from the rally, i would say it was a big success. Media coverage on the issue was fantastic. I saw the ABC7 news truck. There were many reporters from SJ Mercury news, SF Chronicle etc. Crowd was good, dont want to speculate on numbers yet but we should have an official word soon.

Police were very friendly. The crowd was very enthusiastic and also obeyed the rules. All of us stayed on side walks. Logiclife and Frankilin among others were there. Many reporters spread out and spoke to people.

Lot of members from another groups called Immigration Rights also joined us.

We got lot of honks. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Great JOB IV and everyone.

A

Old 07-14-2007, 06:37 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Ommmm is on a distinguished road

Is the rally over? My husband is waiting at the 635 Ist north street As per the plan.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
preddy2k is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Great job

Good job guys, Kudos to all, especially IV team for organizing

Old 07-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
wantMyGC is on a distinguished road
Default The Gandhi Protests - media coverage

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...eek+exclusives

The Gandhi Protests
Denied the permanent U.S. residency they'd been promised, high-skilled workers are taking to the streets in nonviolent protest

Engineers, computer programmers, and tech workers aren't known for outspoken collective action and political protest. But on July 14, up to 1,000 high-skilled, legal immigrants will gather in San Jose, Calif., to express their outrage at the U.S. government's failure to deliver on a promise to hasten the processing of their green-card applications. Many of these immigrants came to the U.S. from India on visas and have been stuck in what they say is an interminable wait for permanent residency and the freedoms it brings.

"We're stepping out to bring this issue to the attention of lawmakers and the public," says Ashish Sharma, 37, who has worked as a manager at a tech firm in Los Angeles for seven years, awaiting his green card. "The debate has been dominated by illegal immigration, but we want to put a spotlight on the hurdles we're facing as a hard-working and law-abiding group. It's time for corrective action."

Sharma says he spent $5,000 flying his wife and children to the U.S. from India to prepare green-card documents that the government originally said it would accept and then later decided not to accept. Tomorrow, he will drive more than five hours to San Jose to meet hundreds of others stuck in the green-card backlog who want to make a public statement about their frustrations.
Long Delays Spur Protests

The rally follows a symbolic action on July 10 in which hundreds of green-card applicants sent flowers to the director of U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services in a show of peaceful protest reminiscent of Mohandas Gandhi's nonviolent campaign against British rule before India gained independence in 1947. The idea for both the flower sending and the rally emerged from Immigration Voice, a group that advocates for high-tech immigrants in the U.S. on visas.

The Gandhi protests, though grounded in years of frustration and anger, were sparked by recent events. On June 12, the U.S. State Dept. issued a bulletin promising it was ready to move hundreds of thousands of green-card applicants into the final phase of processing, known as the Adjustment of Status. Visa workers rushed to complete their Adjustment of Status applications for July 2, the first day they could be submitted. Applicants scrambled to gather signatures, birth certificates, and immunization records, many taking off work and rearranging travel plans. But at the beginning of July, the State Dept. retracted the bulletin, explaining the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services had already fulfilled its quota and would not accept further applications. The immigrant community exploded, with critics saying they are the victims of bureaucratic incompetence and a broken immigration policy.

The green-card backlog has emerged because of a mismatch between the number of visa holders and the number of green cards available to them each year. Tens of thousands of foreign workers enter the U.S. on work visas each year, and many apply for green cards. But current government rules limit the number of people who can be admitted to the U.S. from any particular country to 9,800. The result is that for larger countries, including India and China, the wait for permanent U.S. residency now stretches for years. As they wait, visa workers are required to maintain the same job and salary, or they are bumped back to the long queue. That leaves many of the most educated and talented immigrants feeling stuck, sometimes to the point of hopelessness (see BusinessWeek.com, 6/21/07, "One Easy Fix for Immigration").
Joining the Chorus

Many American companies are concerned about the government's immigration policies. Tech companies, including IBM (IBM), Motorola (MOT), Oracle (ORCL), eBay (EBAY), and Intel (INTC), have pressured Congress to allow in more skilled workers on temporary and permanent visas. Google (GOOG), with many immigrants at the company including one of the founders, sent one of its top executives to make the case in Washington (see BusinessWeek.com, 6/7/07, "Immigration: Google Makes Its Case"). Bill Gates, Microsoft's (MSFT) co-founder, also made the trip to Congress to argue for a change in policy (see BusinessWeek.com, 3/8/07, "Gates to Senate: More Visas").

Immigration Voice has for several years been a forum for visa workers awaiting green cards, but it is now becoming a critical organizing tool through its Web site, volunteer leadership, and increased lobbying efforts. Immigration Voice President Aman Kapoor says green-card applicants are busy organizing a series of rallies to take place across the country on one day next month.

"This is not the usual population to go into the streets and protest; it's a group that has remained quiet and follows the rules," says Kapoor. "But people have lost faith in the system, and we have reached a tipping point in terms of frustration. There's an understanding that more dramatic action is needed."

Old 07-15-2007, 01:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Compare
vxb2004 has a spectacular aura about vxb2004 has a spectacular aura about
Default Good Job

Great job IV. Keep up the great work.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ajobha is infamous around these parts ajobha is infamous around these parts
Default Great Work, Thank You!!

I must say that this is a great great effort. Both, the flower campaign and the rally. Nothing like this has been done before by wanna-be immigrants. We are hardworking, law abiding, well educated people. But until now, the general opinion was that we are at the mercy of the American immigration system. I was especially so frustrated when some of my friends thought that there was nothing wrong in what the USCIS did. Their response was simply "what can we do? let's just re-apply when the dates become current again". Historically, Indians (at least, from my experience) have been hesitant to protest against the wrongdoings of their rulers. This is seen even today, when we fear to raise our voice when our bosses or managers at work exploit us, or our advisers/professors exploit us, or if the USCIS changes rules in the middle of the game. In India too, the general opinion is "Nothing is going to change, let's not get into trouble". This rally has shown that things are changing. We all should wake up, and fight for our rights! I could not attend the rally as I am based in Michigan, but I thank all of you who protested for me and my family. I will do my best to support this effort in whatever way I can.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
krupa is infamous around these parts krupa is infamous around these parts krupa is infamous around these parts krupa is infamous around these parts krupa is infamous around these parts krupa is infamous around these parts krupa is infamous around these parts krupa is infamous around these parts krupa is infamous around these parts krupa is infamous around these parts krupa is infamous around these parts
Default San Jose mercury news

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_6380617

Old 07-16-2007, 12:42 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
: