Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Member's Only Forum > State Chapters > Florida (FL)
Click to log in with Facebook
Florida (FL) Florida (FL)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
planner10 is on a distinguished road
Post UK Transit Visa

I am have a valid EAD card and Advanced Parole documents. My H1-B has expired and I have not re-applied. I am planning to travel to India and planning to book my travel in British Airways through London. My layover in London is only 3 hours. Do I need a transit visa to travel via London? Please advise.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/13/2007
Compare
LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by planner10 View Post
I am have a valid EAD card and Advanced Parole documents. My H1-B has expired and I have not re-applied. I am planning to travel to India and planning to book my travel in British Airways through London. My layover in London is only 3 hours. Do I need a transit visa to travel via London? Please advise.
I urge you to first do the research on your part and then come to ask these questions which otherwise you could have got the answers, if only you 'googled' it.

here is the link: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineed...adatvnationals

edit:

Holding either an I-512 Parole letter or an I-797C (Notice of Action) instead of a valid U.S. visa; or a Transportation Letter instead of a valid U.S. Permanent Residence Card issued on or after 21 April 1998; or a U.S Visa Foil endorsed, "NOT A VISA. FOIL PREPARED AT DHS REQUEST" does NOT qualify for exemption from the DAT(Direct Airside Transit) visa requirement.

Last edited by LostInGCProcess; 01-21-2009 at 07:34 PM.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
lskreddy is a splendid one to behold lskreddy is a splendid one to behold lskreddy is a splendid one to behold lskreddy is a splendid one to behold lskreddy is a splendid one to behold lskreddy is a splendid one to behold lskreddy is a splendid one to behold lskreddy is a splendid one to behold
Default Refrain

Since you said planning, avoid it if you can. I just went through this nonsense and you would have to fill a big-ass application, get yourself fingerprinted and mail your passports. Its not the 100 dollar cost or the mailing part that's irritating. Its their insistence that somehow expired visas and AP's are sub-standard and pose a security threat.

To sum it up, I find it as a crappy effort to loot people's money. So, avoid it.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
planner10 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses. I did do quite a bit of research but found a lot of conflicting information from various websites. Hence I had to post the question to find out firsthand if someone has had a similar experience.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/05/2007
Compare
crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of

In today's day and age when you have a choice of 4 carriers (Delta, Continental, American and good ol' Air India) offering non-stop flights between the US and India, its just plain stupid (not to mention humiliating) to go through this transit visa crap. I just flew the Atlanta - Bombay nonstop in Dec and it was really nice not to mention the amount of time I saved in the process by avoiding transit airports in 3rd countries.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
Ennada has a reputation beyond repute Ennada has a reputation beyond repute Ennada has a reputation beyond repute Ennada has a reputation beyond repute Ennada has a reputation beyond repute Ennada has a reputation beyond repute Ennada has a reputation beyond repute Ennada has a reputation beyond repute Ennada has a reputation beyond repute Ennada has a reputation beyond repute Ennada has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by planner10 View Post
Has anyone recently traveled using AP via UK recently ? Please post your experience.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Security at London Heathrow Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lskreddy View Post
Since you said planning, avoid it if you can. I just went through this nonsense and you would have to fill a big-ass application, get yourself fingerprinted and mail your passports. Its not the 100 dollar cost or the mailing part that's irritating. Its their insistence that somehow expired visas and AP's are sub-standard and pose a security threat.

To sum it up, I find it as a crappy effort to loot people's money. So, avoid it.
They are very brisk. They treat you quite well. They just remind you repeatedly to put your keys, mobile and coins etc in your handbag. That is it. No need to remove shoes etc. They have sophisticated security checking systems.

The UK visa is quite lengthy. You have to apply on line. You then have to get a USCIS finger print done at your local centre. If you are able to pay like 50 dollars extra, then you can submit the application to an approved travel agent who will get you the PP back in 2-3 days.
http://anilgeneral.blogspot.com/2008...e-chicago.html

Since EAD holders have to apply for transit visa, I suggest that you get started asap. The visa process may take as much as 15 days.

The reason UK consulates do not have drop in service or counter is because few years back, UK consulate in NY or Washington had some type of attack. They are trying to circumvent this situation using approved travel agents or mailed in applications.

Last edited by anilsal; 01-21-2009 at 09:57 PM.