Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Member's Only Forum > State Chapters > Maryland (MD)
Click to log in with Facebook
Maryland (MD) Maryland (MD)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 09:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Mbeud1 is on a distinguished road
Default Purchase of Land in Native American reservations

I would like to know if I can be allowed to live among Native Americans if the US government does not want me in the country and I am already here. i have been to the courts for a long time time now that I am considering defecting to the Indian reservations. I have strong native American friendships and their culture is in most ways identical to my African origin. I have participated in their POW WOWS and have been wondering about leaving all this furor about my status which has taken a very long time to be resolved and just move to a reservation as I am working on a a set of scripts for documentaries and a series of books. My friend's community leaders know me and are happy to welcome me. I just do not know where this will put me with the US Government.

Currently, I own and run a business and pay taxes and am also in college although my status is not quite right. I am an asylum seeker whose matter is being handled by the courts.

Thank you,
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2014, 08:23 PM
Facebook User
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Keziah is on a distinguished road
Default purchase of lands in Indian Country

The short answer is no, you cannot seek asylum on an Indian rez. While Indigenous nations are sovereign and exercise a high degree of autonomy, they cannot enter into any intl treaties. Immigration is a federal issue. Furthermore, if you were to commit a crime (and technically, being an undocumented resident or one who has stayed beyond his visa date you are indeed committing a crime), you would not find quarter/sanctuary anywhere in Indian Country. The feds will come for you - being on a rez doesn't keep you safe.

You should immediately find an immigration attorney or an organization that provides legal advice to people in your situation. If you do not, you will be ultimately deported. That would be a shame because you sound as though you are making a future here for yourself.

Good luck.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Great response. I however think there would be a way. Infact, the conditions that made me leave my homeland are the ones that have forced me to do so otherwise I would not have bothered to. It is the same conditions that the founding dads of this nation, found themselves in and thus they crossed the seas and made home among the natives for themselves. I am however going to seek other ways of not staying as such but be in a way safe from what I am running from which I would not discuss on this forum or anywhere else where it will not help me. It will indeed not be a shame.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

It is not a crime to live in any country without documentation, but it is a crime to hurt or steal. It is a civil offence.

Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote for the majority opinion on SB 1070, Arizona’s controversial immigration law: “As a general rule, it is not a crime for a movable alien to remain in the United States.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:26 PM
Facebook User
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Keziah is on a distinguished road

Save that little gem for the INS.

Again, go speak to an attorney to determine your next steps. You will not find sanctuary on a rez.