Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Member's Only Forum > State Chapters > Massachusetts (MA)
Click to log in with Facebook
Massachusetts (MA) Massachusetts (MA)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/04/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Massachusetts In-State tuition eligibility rules have changed

Until recently, MA residency rules allowed in-state tuition to only citizens, permanent residents, or beneficiaries of refugee or asylum petitions. Individuals on Non-immigrant visas, or those with pending adjustment of status applications were not eligible. On July 2007, the MA Boad of Higher Education revised the rules a bit, and added the following to the list of eligible persons:

A person who is a lawful immigrant or permanent resident of the United States (or is eligible to apply and has applied for such status)

The clause in the parenthesis could apply to those who have filed 485 and are currently affected by retrogression.
New EB2 I-140 Approved: 12/5/2011 (TSC)
Interfiled 12/15/2012
Greened on Feb 10, 2012!
Total Contribution: $200
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2008, 11:07 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Cameroon
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
claudia255 will become famous soon enough
Default MA In-State Tuition

Anyone from MA or whoever is knowledgeable on the subject,
I would like to take classes at Salem State College. I am on H1 and I have applied for my I140 (EB3-ROW) but missed the boat last July for I485 (labor was not cleared yet). Has anyone had any experience with a state school in MA to determine if you are eligible to pay in-state tuition while on H1?
I have called the school but it seems my file might have to go through a review committee. The lady was not aware of the law mentioned by sparky_jones above.
Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2007
Chargeability
:
Bangladesh
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2007
Compare
mhtanim will become famous soon enough

Check this out: http://www.quack.net/natda/resident.html

Old 02-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/26/2007
Compare
akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhtanim View Post
Seems like a great thread. As we have a lot of immigration population in MA, this can be informative for everyone.

Can someone provide a link to the information?

Also, let me take this oppurtunity to request everyone to please make sure that they have sent the letters to the President and a copy to IV.
Please let me know if you need any information regarding the letter campaign.

GO IV GO. TOGEHTER WE CAN.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/04/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudia255 View Post
Anyone from MA or whoever is knowledgeable on the subject,
I would like to take classes at Salem State College. I am on H1 and I have applied for my I140 (EB3-ROW) but missed the boat last July for I485 (labor was not cleared yet). Has anyone had any experience with a state school in MA to determine if you are eligible to pay in-state tuition while on H1?
I have called the school but it seems my file might have to go through a review committee. The lady was not aware of the law mentioned by sparky_jones above.
Thanks in advance for your input.
Until June 2007, the only way to qualify for In-State tuition in MA was to be either a US Citizen or a Permanent Resident. In June 2007, the policy was modified a little bit to allow individuals who had applied for Permanent Residence to claim In-State tuition. Please keep in mind that individuals on non-immigrant visas (H1, H4, etc.) are still considered out-of-state. Based on my personal discussions with the administrators at a local community college in Boston, they would grant in-state only if you have already filed your I-485, and have Advance Parole. They accepted my wife as In-State only after reviewing her AP. They put her status as "Parolee" on the in-state tuition application form. Mind you, this is a new policy and is being interpreted in different ways at different institutions, and the final decisions rests with the individual institution. I had to follow up with the college multiple times to convince them that filing I-485 qualifies my wife under the new rules.

Since you have not yet filed your I-485, you may not qualify. See section 3.2 of the following document: http://www.mass.edu/library/Motions/2007/FAAP07-24.pdf
New EB2 I-140 Approved: 12/5/2011 (TSC)
Interfiled 12/15/2012
Greened on Feb 10, 2012!
Total Contribution: $200

Old 02-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/26/2007
Compare
akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute
Default thanks

Saprky_jones, thanks a lot for the information.

Really appreciate that.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability