Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Junior Member
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 21
chaks7 is a jewel in the rough chaks7 is a jewel in the rough chaks7 is a jewel in the rough
Default Health Insurance options

My wife's co. provides health insurance for both of us. We are both on H1-B.

If my wife quits her job, can we still be eligible for COBRA because at that point she will be doing COS to H4. If someone has any experience or knowledge about this please reply. It will help us deal things better as we are better prepared with what could be our options.

Does COBRA depend on H1-B status? Also recently Obama administration has worked a plan where the payments on COBRA are less than the usual amounts, COBRA subsidy? Can you provide details regarding that?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB1B
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Compare
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 588
raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaks7 View Post
My wife's co. provides health insurance for both of us. We are both on H1-B.

If my wife quits her job, can we still be eligible for COBRA because at that point she will be doing COS to H4.

If someone has any experience or knowledge about this please reply. It will help us deal things better as we are better prepared with what could be our options.

Does COBRA depend on H1-B status? Also recently Obama administration has worked a plan where the payments on COBRA are less than the usual amounts, COBRA subsidy? Can you provide details regarding that?
In COBRA, you would have to pay the *entire* insurance cost from your pocket. It may comes out $500-$1000 to be a month per person depending on the state and coverage. Unless you have a known condition that makes you very risky, it is usually too expensive to carry forth.

Note by the way, the catch of some individual insurances (not COBRA). Other than being costlier, many of them consider each period as a "new" enrollment (even if you are getting the same insurance from the same company), and therefore, they will declare anything that was found in the previous period as "pre-existing" in the new period and deny coverage.

Read fine prints very carefully.
__________________
I am not a lawyer. Use at your own risk any information given by me.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-19-2010, 05:42 PM
Member
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 34
return_to_india has a spectacular aura about return_to_india has a spectacular aura about
Default Health Care is issue !

In this land where honey and milk flows, i always have that anxiety of loosing ( by virtue of lay off ) 'affordable' health care coverage and i haven't fully read what all fine-print stuff BlueCross Prudent Buyer plan have. And i do have a chronic condition. Currently the monthly premium is around $500 for the 3 member family.
__________________
India EB2 . PD Nov. 2002 . Got GC 2008.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB1B
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Compare
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 588
raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by return_to_india View Post
... Currently the monthly premium is around $500 for the 3 member family...
Is $500 what your wife pays from her pocket (and employer pays the rest) or is this the actual cost of buying insurance?

In the former case, expect the actual cost under COBRA to be significantly higher.
__________________
I am not a lawyer. Use at your own risk any information given by me.

Last edited by raysaikat; 01-19-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Member
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 34
return_to_india has a spectacular aura about return_to_india has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysaikat View Post
Is $500 what your wife pays from her pocket (and employer pays the rest) or is this the actual cost of buying insurance?

In the former case, expect the actual cost under COBRA to be significantly higher.
I think you mixed part of reply with "chaks7" info.

I pay $500 . Don't know how much the employer pays.
__________________
India EB2 . PD Nov. 2002 . Got GC 2008.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Junior Member
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 21
chaks7 is a jewel in the rough chaks7 is a jewel in the rough chaks7 is a jewel in the rough
Default

We are expecting, so I do not think it is possible to change insurance. We still tried and got rejected. So that we will leave us with COBRA in case my wife chooses to quit or something happens to her job. And does H4 visa affect COBRA coverage? If you can answer this question that will be very helpful.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/06/2012
Compare
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 886
krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaks7 View Post
We are expecting, so I do not think it is possible to change insurance. We still tried and got rejected. So that we will leave us with COBRA in case my wife chooses to quit or something happens to her job. And does H4 visa affect COBRA coverage? If you can answer this question that will be very helpful.
She should be eligible for COBRA ... no issues.

And I guess she is also eligible for the discount/economic stimulus on COBRA. I did not see anything that suggest one must be a Citizen/LPR for that discount
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Member
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/19/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 40
kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaks7 View Post
My wife's co. provides health insurance for both of us. We are both on H1-B.

If my wife quits her job, can we still be eligible for COBRA because at that point she will be doing COS to H4. If someone has any experience or knowledge about this please reply. It will help us deal things better as we are better prepared with what could be our options.

Does COBRA depend on H1-B status? Also recently Obama administration has worked a plan where the payments on COBRA are less than the usual amounts, COBRA subsidy? Can you provide details regarding that?
Why does she need to use COBRA? Certain life changing events such as job loss, birth, etc. allow adding or removing of dependants, or enrolling in an insurance plan outside of the enrollment period. So you should be able to join the insurance plan provided by your employer. If she's quitting her job, she should be eligible to come on to your insurance plan as a dependent. This will be a much cheaper option than using COBRA. Look into this.

Last edited by kutra; 01-20-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Junior Member
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 21
chaks7 is a jewel in the rough chaks7 is a jewel in the rough chaks7 is a jewel in the rough
Default

My wife is the primary on the insurance and I am the dependent. My employer does not offer insurance. It is a consulting co. I checked with him; he said there were not enough people to go with Group policy and people have to find Individual Insurance. So COBRA may be the only option if something changes with her job.

Last edited by chaks7; 01-20-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Member
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/19/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 40
kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaks7 View Post
My wife is the primary on the insurance and I am the dependent. My employer does not offer insurance. It is a consulting co. I checked with him; he said there were not enough people to go with Group policy and people have to find Individual Insurance. So COBRA may be the only option if something changes with her job.
In that case, your wife is eligible for COBRA. See eligibility guidelines (Q3: Who is entitled to benefits under COBRA?) here: FAQs For Employees About COBRA Continuation Health Coverage.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2010, 08:10 PM
Junior Member
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Canada
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4
iq5203 can only hope to improve
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysaikat View Post
In COBRA, you would have to pay the *entire* insurance cost from your pocket. It may comes out $500-$1000 to be a month per person depending on the state and coverage. Unless you have a known condition that makes you very risky, it is usually too expensive to carry forth.

Note by the way, the catch of some individual insurances (not COBRA). Other than being costlier, many of them consider each period as a "new" enrollment (even if you are getting the same insurance from the same company), and therefore, they will declare anything that was found in the previous period as "pre-existing" in the new period and deny coverage.

Read fine prints very carefully.
According to federal law, if you've had coverage for 6 months prior to changing your coverage to the new insurance, they can't refuse to cover pre existing conditions. They may try, I just had to fight this out with CIGNA. They lost. However if you let your coverage lapse, you can get hit with this.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #12 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB1B
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Compare
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 588
raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iq5203 View Post
According to federal law, if you've had coverage for 6 months prior to changing your coverage to the new insurance, they can't refuse to cover pre existing conditions. They may try, I just had to fight this out with CIGNA. They lost. However if you let your coverage lapse, you can get hit with this.
If you are talking about HIPAA, then that generally applies to group plans (offered by your employer), not individual plans that we are talking about in this thread.
__________________
I am not a lawyer. Use at your own risk any information given by me.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Medical Treatment for Parents: Health Insurance does not cover this gk_kumar Visitor and business visa 23 03-15-2010 02:44 PM
Individual Health Insurance shana04 All other Green Card Issues 6 01-11-2010 06:50 PM
Health insurance for last 4 years rbalup Non-Immigrant Visa 5 06-30-2009 05:59 PM
Help me find a good Family health Insurance LostInGCProcess Non-Immigrant Visas 16 08-29-2008 01:11 PM
Health Insurance and pregnancy manja Non-Immigrant Visas 17 07-06-2007 01:36 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c)ImmigrationVoice.org