Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
chaks7 is a jewel in the rough chaks7 is a jewel in the rough chaks7 is a jewel in the rough
Default Health Insurance options

My wife's co. provides health insurance for both of us. We are both on H1-B.

If my wife quits her job, can we still be eligible for COBRA because at that point she will be doing COS to H4. If someone has any experience or knowledge about this please reply. It will help us deal things better as we are better prepared with what could be our options.

Does COBRA depend on H1-B status? Also recently Obama administration has worked a plan where the payments on COBRA are less than the usual amounts, COBRA subsidy? Can you provide details regarding that?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB1B
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Compare
raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaks7 View Post

If my wife quits her job, can we still be eligible for COBRA because at that point she will be doing COS to H4.

If someone has any experience or knowledge about this please reply. It will help us deal things better as we are better prepared with what could be our options.

Does COBRA depend on H1-B status? Also recently Obama administration has worked a plan where the payments on COBRA are less than the usual amounts, COBRA subsidy? Can you provide details regarding that?
In COBRA, you would have to pay the *entire* insurance cost from your pocket. It may comes out $500-$1000 to be a month per person depending on the state and coverage. Unless you have a known condition that makes you very risky, it is usually too expensive to carry forth.

Note by the way, the catch of some individual insurances (not COBRA). Other than being costlier, many of them consider each period as a "new" enrollment (even if you are getting the same insurance from the same company), and therefore, they will declare anything that was found in the previous period as "pre-existing" in the new period and deny coverage.

Read fine prints very carefully.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
return_to_india has a spectacular aura about return_to_india has a spectacular aura about
Default Health Care is issue !

In this land where honey and milk flows, i always have that anxiety of loosing ( by virtue of lay off ) 'affordable' health care coverage and i haven't fully read what all fine-print stuff BlueCross Prudent Buyer plan have. And i do have a chronic condition. Currently the monthly premium is around $500 for the 3 member family.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB1B
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Compare
raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by return_to_india View Post
... Currently the monthly premium is around $500 for the 3 member family...
Is $500 what your wife pays from her pocket (and employer pays the rest) or is this the actual cost of buying insurance?

In the former case, expect the actual cost under COBRA to be significantly higher.

Last edited by raysaikat; 01-19-2010 at 06:20 PM.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
return_to_india has a spectacular aura about return_to_india has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysaikat View Post
Is $500 what your wife pays from her pocket (and employer pays the rest) or is this the actual cost of buying insurance?

In the former case, expect the actual cost under COBRA to be significantly higher.
I think you mixed part of reply with "chaks7" info.

I pay $500 . Don't know how much the employer pays.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
chaks7 is a jewel in the rough chaks7 is a jewel in the rough chaks7 is a jewel in the rough

We are expecting, so I do not think it is possible to change insurance. We still tried and got rejected. So that we will leave us with COBRA in case my wife chooses to quit or something happens to her job. And does H4 visa affect COBRA coverage? If you can answer this question that will be very helpful.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/06/2012
Compare
krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We are expecting, so I do not think it is possible to change insurance. We still tried and got rejected. So that we will leave us with COBRA in case my wife chooses to quit or something happens to her job. And does H4 visa affect COBRA coverage? If you can answer this question that will be very helpful.
She should be eligible for COBRA ... no issues.

And I guess she is also eligible for the discount/economic stimulus on COBRA. I did not see anything that suggest one must be a Citizen/LPR for that discount

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/19/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

If my wife quits her job, can we still be eligible for COBRA because at that point she will be doing COS to H4. If someone has any experience or knowledge about this please reply. It will help us deal things better as we are better prepared with what could be our options.

Why does she need to use COBRA? Certain life changing events such as job loss, birth, etc. allow adding or removing of dependants, or enrolling in an insurance plan outside of the enrollment period. So you should be able to join the insurance plan provided by your employer. If she's quitting her job, she should be eligible to come on to your insurance plan as a dependent. This will be a much cheaper option than using COBRA. Look into this.

Last edited by kutra; 01-20-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

My wife is the primary on the insurance and I am the dependent. My employer does not offer insurance. It is a consulting co. I checked with him; he said there were not enough people to go with Group policy and people have to find Individual Insurance. So COBRA may be the only option if something changes with her job.

Last edited by chaks7; 01-20-2010 at 12:42 PM.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/19/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute kutra has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My wife is the primary on the insurance and I am the dependent. My employer does not offer insurance. It is a consulting co. I checked with him; he said there were not enough people to go with Group policy and people have to find Individual Insurance. So COBRA may be the only option if something changes with her job.
In that case, your wife is eligible for COBRA. See eligibility guidelines (Q3: Who is entitled to benefits under COBRA?) here: FAQs For Employees About COBRA Continuation Health Coverage.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Canada
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
iq5203 can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysaikat View Post
In COBRA, you would have to pay the *entire* insurance cost from your pocket. It may comes out $500-$1000 to be a month per person depending on the state and coverage. Unless you have a known condition that makes you very risky, it is usually too expensive to carry forth.

Note by the way, the catch of some individual insurances (not COBRA). Other than being costlier, many of them consider each period as a "new" enrollment (even if you are getting the same insurance from the same company), and therefore, they will declare anything that was found in the previous period as "pre-existing" in the new period and deny coverage.

Read fine prints very carefully.
According to federal law, if you've had coverage for 6 months prior to changing your coverage to the new insurance, they can't refuse to cover pre existing conditions. They may try, I just had to fight this out with CIGNA. They lost. However if you let your coverage lapse, you can get hit with this.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB1B
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by iq5203 View Post
According to federal law, if you've had coverage for 6 months prior to changing your coverage to the new insurance, they can't refuse to cover pre existing conditions. They may try, I just had to fight this out with CIGNA. They lost. However if you let your coverage lapse, you can get hit with this.
If you are talking about HIPAA, then that generally applies to group plans (offered by your employer), not individual plans that we are talking about in this thread.