Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vinki can only hope to improve
Question Home buying on H1B ?

Working on the H1B visa from last 4 years and planning to buy a home (prices are low now and also benefit the economy if possible), but the question arises - why do people wait to buy property until they get the Green Card ?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:22 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
SanjayP is infamous around these parts SanjayP is infamous around these parts SanjayP is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinki View Post
Working on the H1B visa from last 4 years and planning to buy a home (prices are low now and also benefit the economy if possible), but the question arises - why do people wait to buy property until they get the Green Card ?
With green card if laid off or fired, you do not have the worry of being in/out of status and also it is easier to move jobs at will.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
sk2006 is infamous around these parts sk2006 is infamous around these parts sk2006 is infamous around these parts sk2006 is infamous around these parts sk2006 is infamous around these parts sk2006 is infamous around these parts sk2006 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Answer to your question: UNCERTAINITY of the status!

If you lose your job you have little time to leave the country.. It is difficult to even pack up and book airline tickets in that short time; forget about selling the house if such situation arises.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:06 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/20/2008
Compare
prasadn is a jewel in the rough prasadn is a jewel in the rough prasadn is a jewel in the rough prasadn is a jewel in the rough
Default It is a good time to buy

Quote:
Buying a home is a very personal decision based on a lot of factors. Home prices are relatively low now and you also can lock in good interest rates. However, it is a long term commitment and comes with its financial liabilities. As long as you aware of what you are getting into, this is a good time to buy a home.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:19 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Roger Binny is just really nice Roger Binny is just really nice Roger Binny is just really nice Roger Binny is just really nice

1. If you are ok with whatever sh** is going to come from immi matters discussions and you ready to deal with it, then go ahead and buy.

2. Have confidence that you can sleep peacefully in that new bed, no matter whatever crap news you hear about immigration, and you are safe about payments no matter how worse job market may get, you can buy.

3. If you dont have any near term doubts on $ value and etc, then its time to buy.

My 2 cents......

Old 07-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts

If there is a devaluation of the dollar in the future, then due to inflation you would actually benefit from buying a home now rather than renting. Inflation is a friend of a homeowner and an enemy of someone that wants to postpone buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Binny View Post

3. If you dont have any near term doubts on $ value and etc, then its time to buy.

My 2 cents......

Old 07-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
bharol is a glorious beacon of light bharol is a glorious beacon of light bharol is a glorious beacon of light bharol is a glorious beacon of light bharol is a glorious beacon of light bharol is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge_hammer View Post
If there is a devaluation of the dollar in the future, then due to inflation you would actually benefit from buying a home now rather than renting. Inflation is a friend of a homeowner and an enemy of someone that wants to postpone buying.
Right now the threat is of DEFLATION and not INFLATION.
(I would recommend reading 'conquer the crash' by pretcher for details).

In deflation all asset prices go down.
Even rents do down in deflation.

So if you buy and house prices go down, and it is more likely that they will go down than up, you will be stuck paying for a mortgage which is more than the house is worth.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Priority Date
:
May-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/25/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/27/2012
Compare
bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Personal decision

Mate,

It is each person's personal situation and mindset that factors in their decision to buy property based on Green card. I can only give you my example.

Been on H1 for 7 years with wife on H1 for 2. My GC process started in Dec 07' and stuck in PERM since. I would say and I am sure most here will agree my immigration status is neither stable nor predictable. However, I bought my home late last year after researching a lot for 9 months and getting a good deal (in my humble opinion). I somehow don't obsess much about my immigration status though there are always days I wish for a more predictable timeline for my GC.

That being said, I have had good advise and support that helped in making this decision and I am happy with my new home. My suggestion solely based on my experience and my research of the housing market is to not let GC process be the major factor. I would say do ample research , talk to your family and really consider the worst case scenarios financially before getting into home ownership. GC process is always a factor but I would say there are other more important factors that you need to consider.

Hope this helps!

P.S: There is a good thread discussing the current housing market somewhere among the active threads. There is some amount of personal attacking and defending done but overall you get get some good info from that thread.

Quote:

Northern California State Chapter

Last edited by bondgoli007; 07-05-2009 at 06:51 PM.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/02/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
hiralal is infamous around these parts hiralal is infamous around these parts hiralal is infamous around these parts hiralal is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharol View Post
Right now the threat is of DEFLATION and not INFLATION.
(I would recommend reading 'conquer the crash' by pretcher for details).

In deflation all asset prices go down.
Even rents do down in deflation.

So if you buy and house prices go down, and it is more likely that they will go down than up, you will be stuck paying for a mortgage which is more than the house is worth.
I agree with Bharol...I wonder if the original question on this thread is genuine or just to have another discussion ..in other words, I wonder if the person who started the thread, who seems to be on H1, knows that hardly anyone is hiring a new H1 nowadays.
here is a part of article by Roubini's monitor.
actually to buy a house when on H1 is a big gamble (most likely a losing one) ..so yes, if you like to gamble away your savings on a losing asset in uncertain visa ...then go ahead and buy
--------------------------------
The labor market conditions may have a significant effect on how long it takes for the housing market to bottom out. It’s already estimated that by the end of this year, there will be about 8.4 million people who have a mortgage who have lost jobs, and therefore have essentially little income. Therefore, the number of people who will have difficulties servicing their mortgages is going to rise very sharply.

Home prices have already fallen from their peak by about 27 percent. Based on our analysis, they are going to fall by at least another 40 percent, and more likely 45 percent, before they bottom out. They are still falling at an annualized rate of over 18 percent. That fall of at least 40-45% percent of home prices from their peak is going to imply that about half of all households that have a mortgage – about 25 million of the 51 million that have mortgages – are going to be underwater with negative equity in their homes, and therefore will have a significant incentive to just walk away from their homes.

The job market report is essentially the tip of the iceberg. It’s a significant signal of the weaknesses in the economy. It affects consumer confidence. It affects labor income. It affects consumption. It affects the willingness of firms to start increasing production. It has significant consequences of the housing market. And it has significant consequences, of course, on the banking system.
-----------------------------------------

Old 07-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
ameryki is a jewel in the rough ameryki is a jewel in the rough ameryki is a jewel in the rough

go for it mate...renting is like letting someone take your money with no benefit to you. if you can afford it have a good amount of cash for down payment make the most of the tax break this year too.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vinki can only hope to improve
Default Thanks ALL !

We got our loadn pre-approval, but heard some sad news of a colleague's friend whose 140 got 'rejected' and he had bought a home some months back - hence again have to reevaluate our decision.
Home prices have started becoming steady and actually going up a bit in our area (ventura,ca) and thats also frustrating. Wanted to save the burning of $1000 a month as rent and just wish things get better soon.

Appreciate all the responses and views !

Old 07-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/02/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
hiralal is infamous around these parts hiralal is infamous around these parts hiralal is infamous around these parts hiralal is infamous around these parts

The trouble for H1 is getting a new job if you lose your job. this situation always comes up during recession and this is a bigger recession than the last one. I know 2 such cases in our area - they are not getting anything since the last 8 months and are working in gas stations ..so buying a home now on H1 is a big gamble (might as well go to vegas and gamble as there is a better chance that u may end up winning) ..just my thoughts !!

Old 07-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Compare
go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We got our loadn pre-approval, but heard some sad news of a colleague's friend whose 140 got 'rejected' and he had bought a home some months back - hence again have to reevaluate our decision.
Home prices have started becoming steady and actually going up a bit in our area (ventura,ca) and thats also frustrating. Wanted to save the burning of $1000 a month as rent and just wish things get better soon.

Do not worry. Home prices are not taking off and will languish for a couple of
years now. Cost of home ownership will be more than 1000$ per month anyway.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:34 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Oct-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Compare
The7zen has a reputation beyond repute The7zen has a reputation beyond repute The7zen has a reputation beyond repute The7zen has a reputation beyond repute The7zen has a reputation beyond repute The7zen has a reputation beyond repute The7zen has a reputation beyond repute The7zen has a reputation beyond repute The7zen has a reputation beyond repute The7zen has a reputation beyond repute The7zen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dont Buy!!!

Quote:

NO don't buy...you will be in a better position burning that $1000 for rent than owning a home..........been there done that.

Support HR-3012 and Support Fairness!

HR3012 Wiki | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter

Old 07-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/04/2007
Chargeability
:
Singapore
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/04/2007
Compare
fittan is a splendid one to behold fittan is a splendid one to behold fittan is a splendid one to behold fittan is a splendid one to behold fittan is a splendid one to behold fittan is a splendid one to behold fittan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

You're not really "burning" $1000/month because there is also a cost associated with buying a home. Assuming a $300k loan, 30 yr, 5% fixed, the interest alone would be $1250. Factor in property tax, insurance, condo fee (if applicable) you will easily be over $$1600 (this is the low end). If you then deduct interest and property tax, your net expense is ballpark $1300. My point is that in the "short term", buying a house actually increases your net expenses. I know because I just bought one 2 weeks ago