Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2006, 01:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ujjvalkoul will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Attorneys behaviour

Hi Guys,

I have noticed that attorneys, esp. those of big companies have become very rude and unresponsive to our queries. This has hapened since PERM has been inducted. The do not respond to your queries (E.g. I asked about important Docs to carry while travel outside US) untill you pressure them through HR and I have also noticed that attorneys serously discourage you from applying under EB2 even if all the criterion is met.

Has anyone else noticed such a change. I have a notion that attorneys have received strick guidelines from USCIS regarding this around teh time PERM was introduced.

This might be a sign that things are going to get tougher and not easier for us folks.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 01:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
k94 is on a distinguished road

My attorney has been an ass from Day 1 (pre-PERM). He never gave me the option to explore EB2, just told the company that EB3 was the ONLY option. He does not respond to legitimate queries from me and has been rude; the only time he offered 'advice' was when he told me not to travel to muslim countries. Great advice!

At the end of the day though, he is the company's lawyer, not mine. There's not much I can do. Much like the entire immigration process, all we can do is shrug it of, grin and bend ....

Old 07-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/06/2007
Compare
Kushal is just really nice Kushal is just really nice Kushal is just really nice Kushal is just really nice

Our attorney, did a total malpractice with my application forms. He filed those papers after the ads expired. He never felt the urge to update me about the case status, till I poked him for answer.
Now I have to start over it again, and I'm running against time.

Old 07-17-2006, 02:09 PM
Priority Date
:
May-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/15/2003
Compare
willgetgc2005 is on a distinguished road

Like many small companies operate, I pay for my GC. The lawyers are extermely unresponsive. It causes significant frustration each time a simple thing needs to get done by them.

I wonder why they make it so tough on us. We are already going through enough. Maybe this is a question we can ask the lawyers in the free conference call IV is hosting. Again, this bad experience has been from day 1, not just after PERM.

I think it stems from the fact that they think we are helpless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k94
My attorney has been an ass from Day 1 (pre-PERM). He never gave me the option to explore EB2, just told the company that EB3 was the ONLY option. He does not respond to legitimate queries from me and has been rude; the only time he offered 'advice' was when he told me not to travel to muslim countries. Great advice!

At the end of the day though, he is the company's lawyer, not mine. There's not much I can do. Much like the entire immigration process, all we can do is shrug it of, grin and bend ....

Old 07-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by willgetgc2005
Like many small companies operate, I pay for my GC. The lawyers are extermely unresponsive. It causes significant frustration each time a simple thing needs to get done by them.

I wonder why they make it so tough on us. We are already going through enough. Maybe this is a question we can ask the lawyers in the free conference call IV is hosting. Again, this bad experience has been from day 1, not just after PERM.

I think it stems from the fact that they think we are helpless.
Whatever questions you have about immigration process or about changing lawyers etc, please send your questions before hand by 6:00 EST Thursday to jay@immigrationvoice.org and info@immigrationvoice.org and time permitting, we will have that question in the next conf call most likely to happen this friday on 21st Jul.

Old 07-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Agree that small time consultings hire sheap lawyers, I am talking abt bigger companies. My lawyers had been very responsive, until PERM. The new comay I have joined, the lawyers seem to be behaving along the same lines.

I think this is something bigger than just causing us general hiccups. I am sure there are instructions from USCIS that EB2 should be discouraged.

Old 07-17-2006, 03:26 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute
Default advice when you hire a lawyer

Lawyers in general are very money minded and see their profit in whatever they do. Big companies typically hire large law firms. Such law firms are only answerable to the HR. Thus they would not respond to you or look after your interest. Their interest is their client, i.e. your employer. Large law firms have huge fees and they make a big deal about the whole immigration process. The forms are also not filled properly by several small and big law firms. generally the Para legal and trainees fill out our imp forms and the lawyer simply reviews it in a huff. I have seen this a few times with both big and small firms.

No lawyer will ever guarantee you anything. Which is fine. So you need to be able to evaluate your odds by reading on your own and getting all information. lawyers will always take safe routes or routes that will extend the time period of the process so that they can make enough money. eg; is they delay your filing, they will be able to make money in the H1B extension application. or is they submit less documents then there will be RFEs and possibly denials. Some lawyers don't care about this. They make money in appeals etc. Thus I urge members to be vigilant and make sure all documents need are submitted. Always go through each form and document that your lawyer submits. go through each word of it. and only then have the lawyer send it. if you hire your own lawyer only then you can do this scrutiny. Layers generally file your case and then send you a copy. However upon receiving the copy you may find errors in your application and you may not be able to do anything about it then.

The best option I would suggest to people who have their employer's lawyer filing the case is to have their own lawyer work as a consultant for you. Run all your documents and process by him at every stage and step of the process. get his advice and do own reading and research before taking any decision. totally depending on lawyers is not a good idea.

best solution is to hire own lawyer to do your green card process. This will ensure that the lawyer will work in your interest rather than your employer's and you are his client. make sure when you hire a lawyer, you interview him and ask him if he is going to be accessible to you whenever you need him. ask him if he will himself answer all your emails promptly and return phone calls. ask him to give you some references of his clients so that you can call them.

ask him to give you free consultation on immigration matters of your particular application whenever you need, once you become his client. I have seen come lawyers charge money by hour when you want to seek some advice even though they are handling your case. Even sometimes when you are in the process of hiring a lawyer, and you want to have a initial meeting they will ask you for money per hour. Some lawyers dont charge this kind of fees and I feel this is better. First you should feel comforable with the lawyer before you decide. One doesnt mind paying extra if the lawyer is good anyways.

There will be few lawyers who will agree to such conditions and you should make them your Immigration lawyer.

I have seen some rough experiences with lawyers and this advice is based on such experiences so that IV members do not have to go through painful experiences with incompetent or callous lawyers in the already painful green card process.

hope this helps.

Last edited by pappu; 07-17-2006 at 03:42 PM.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Big companies generally do not let u hire ur own lawyer. Plus nowadays Lawyers do not let u have a copy of labor application or I-140 application for you to review. I had to fight in order to get my labor application and noticed taht they had put a wrong Date of Birth.
My point is that life is not getting any easier on us here. we should expect more than just this retrogression. Anti Immigration feeling is getting even to the immigration lawyers.

AUgust VISA bulletin is an example. India is the worst hit.

Last edited by ujjvalkoul; 07-17-2006 at 04:19 PM.

Old 07-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sats123 is on a distinguished road

Here is my experience. My labor was cleared under EB2 in Sept. 2004. By Oct. all my documents were ready to file I140 and 485. My attorney never replied until Dec. end. Later he screwed up something and did not make in time. Now I am affected by retrogession. Ofcourse they work as instructed by employer. This attorney is hired by my company, I am paying for GC expenses (out of my hourly billing rate). I was not allowed to choose my own attorney.

Lets see how long these &*^(* desi companies will survive.

Old 07-17-2006, 06:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Agreed - With desi companies the story is altogether different. With Bigger Co's i used to get better responses until PERM was introduced. I think there is a lot of Anti India feeling (due to outsourcing etc) brewing in Tech field and also now in the Immigration Attorneys which cannot be good news for us.

Again as I have said many times - we r the right ppl in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:21 PM
Priority Date
:
May-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/15/2003
Compare
willgetgc2005 is on a distinguished road

1) I have had a very painful experience with Immigration Lawyers

2) Every document they need to send to USCIS, needs to be reviewed else there are many errors.

3) Getting them to respond to emails or phone calls is next to impossible. Even when there is an emergency. Half the time they
don't understand the issue.

4) They know that we will be averse to firing/replacing them half way in the process (if at all your employer gives u that option)

YEs. I AM INCREASINGLY THINKING THIS IS JUST NOT WORTH IT. UNSCRUPULOUS LAWYERS. APATHETIC EMPLOYERS ET AL.

Look at a leading Immigration lawyer online, being a so called bellwether or atleast self publicised incessantly, they did not do anything to help reduce retrogression.Not so much as even support the cause. But they want all of us to sign petition to increase H1. Duh ! How much more money do they want to make and they routinely talk about giving back to the society. If you are genuine to give back to the society put aside your money making motive. Say enough to money and do something that will help half a million deserving immigrants. Don't forget, you yourself were an immigrant before you setup your law firm. You just happened to be lucky, the process was easy for you.

For once show genuine interest devoid of gains and do something. You will gain true admiration and respect. Then you will not need to publish weekly bulletins publicizing your philanthropy to show how great you are. The immigrant community will decide your greatness by your actions, not by your bulletins.
Those naive days are over.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/24/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/24/2004
Compare
sbabunle is on a distinguished road

Here is my experience. My company hired a lawyer to do
my green card. He did not do ANYTHING for 1 full year
and told me that everything is applied. So I personally
called up DOLs state office and they told me that they
never received anything for me.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ch_murthy is on a distinguished road

I too face same problem with my Attorney. I pay GC Expenses, this guy is very very expensive. For any question, he says, talk to your HR. My company says, even tough you pay for the services, if they start taking calls from individuals, they will answering the calls whole day; they can not do any of their filing work etc.; which is rediculous.

All the paper work was done by Para Legals only. Whenever they got any questions, they used to shoot emails to my employer and he sends them to me. I never got a chance to talk to the Attorney. By the way my attorney is in Mary Land -- Law Office of Meetesh V Patel. They do wonderfull job, but they never give response back.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Compare
rbharol will become famous soon enough rbharol will become famous soon enough

In my company which is a big company, the lawyers are very helpful and responsive. You send mail and they respond ASAP. You call and they respond to your questions..

May be the reason is that we fill in a survey every few months and rate the law firms!

Old 07-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
iRET is on a distinguished road

Wow! so many in the same club. I experienced the same situations where my Lawyer refused to answer more questions about my options. My forms was filed by one of his intern which left the office same day of the filling. Sound fishy...maybe he's using a buffer to cover his rear.